Start by marking “Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)

Dark Sunshine

(Phantom Stallion #3)

The classic theme of a girl and her horse is set against a backdrop of mustangs, tumbleweeds, and a West that′s still Wild.

In the third book of the series Dark Sunshine, Sam rescues an abused horse from rustlers, but needs the Phantom′s help in convincing the young mare to trust her.

Ages 10+
Published October 1st 2002 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Sunshine

Start your review of Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)
Heather
May 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Julian Daventry
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Cute story. And a hilarious and then moving ending!!
Allie
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, my-faves, buddy-reads
Page 219............ ^_^
Emily Guyer
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was very good. But also it tells you som,e things that I didn't know about in the book also. if you are looking for a good book to read read this one that is if you are a horse lover.
Lynne Page
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a great little series about horses and growing up. I love them!
Brenna
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Very Good Horse Book (i think)
Abby D
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used to love this series when I was younger and “horse crazy”. It was so good to go back and read one that I hadn’t read yet and experience it all over again years later!
Irene
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who really likes horses
Recommended to Irene by: Myself
This book is filled with more then a personalitty. It makes you fell like you are there watching it happen. Nobody can see you but you feel the emotoins the character is feeling and you have the little mind movie flowing through your head. Not like in choppy peices where you have to stop a gajillion times to accutally figure out what happened. You sorta feel it. It's like it's natural.
The story is about a girl named Sam and she goes to meet her friend in a canyon and is alone when she hears a
Tiffany
Another great story for the horse lover.

This book is about a young girl who has recently returned home after having lived two years with her aunt. In this book the main character, Sam Forster, watches horse thieves try to ruin her beloved wild stallions herd. It is up to her and her keen sense of protectiveness to save her stallion, The Phantom. Not only is she trying to save her beloved Phantom she has to learn to share her best friend Jake and her dad. Can Sam do all that is required of her?

T
Rena Sherwood
I've read a lot of heavy books lately, so it's good for my mental health to read a few children's/young adult books as an antidote. This was a cute story about mustangs but Terri Farley's facts about horses can get awfully screwed up at times. But hey -- why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

description

For example, there is an "albino" mustang in the story. There is no such thing as an albino horse. There are horses that look white, but they do have melanin and therefore are not albinos. Albino
Katie
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was an amazing story.....I found myself laughing at times. Some I thought was romance between Jake and Sam, but the suspense of the dangers the Phantom and Sam and Jake put themselves in is so fascinating that I couldn't put this book down at all. I'm defiantly think I'm going to finish this series this time. Sam and Jake have been best friends since they were toddlers, now they are both teenagers and working on Sam's farm. They pretend to be dating in the end to keep out of Lester's ( ...more
Helen
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I only chose this to read because so many girls want horse books. And I felt like I should have started with the first book in the Phantom Stallion series because I was missing a lot. But we don't have the first one in our collection.
But I really enjoyed this book about wild mustangs, rustlers, and a ranch family. It was much better than I expected.
Amanda M
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark Sunshine by Terri Farley focuses on Sam Forster's attempt to connect with the mnustang she "stole", as well as Mikki, the rebellious girl that comes to the ranch. This book is one of my favorites, and I love how Mikki's character changes. Sam's relationship with Dark Sunshine is also interesting.
Liza
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall this book was pretty good, I would rate it 3 stars out of 5, it lost my attention in some parts but it was interesting to read, it broke my heart in some parts but made me happy in others, I would recommend this book to horse lovers, and anyone that just wants a book to read to pass some time.
Tory
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book back when I was in fifth or sixth grade. That is when I first started reading for the fun of it. I owe this series a lot because with out it I may to have become the big reader I am to day.
Pony
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE TERRI FARLEY
Cale_Steps
Good to pass time. Can be interesting/exciting-but def. for horse freaks!
Jessica Casey
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horse lovers!
Recommended to Jessica by: No one.
So sad, kinda depressing...
Christa Carter
Jan 18, 2009 is currently reading it
I am currently reading this...
Brit
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the horse's name, too. The horse's name is Dark Sunshine, hence the name of the book.
Kayla
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phantom-stallion
Book three, awesome! Mikki is kinda like the little brat in this one instead of Sam, for once.
Mango Yum :)
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a good book. I love the characters. An overall good book! You should totally read it.
Jessica H.
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
mh don't you mess with terri farley
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Phaton Stallion series.
Jessi
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookcase, 2015
I remember reading this when I was a kid. Still a good short read :)
Taylor
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
These books have their problems and cons, but something in them keeps pulling me back for more. Terri has good characters and communicates their feeling well. Plus, I love horses.
Emilyf
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in a while
Lafanda
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great series for the young horse-lover! I read the whole series as a kid and each book keeps you interested and racing for the next!
Jessica
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Chiara
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love going back to these books. I remember why they make me so happy.

• The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • The Flame of Olympus  (Pegasus, #1)
  • Black Beauty
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Green Horse Winter (The Green Horse Hotel, #2)
  • White Fang
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • The Call of the Wild
  • Puppy Fitness That Fits The Puppy: Age Appropriate Exercise Guidelines
  • Risiko auf vier Beinen (Swallowbridge, #1)
  • Hufschlag in der Nacht
  • Idiot's Guides: Dog Training
  • Dog Training: The Smart Way: 16 Steps to a Smarter Pet (Dog Training Guide,Dog Training Books,Housebreaking,Obedience Training,How to Train a Dog FAST)
  • The Sight (The Sight, #1)
  • Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps: Everything You Need to Know to Raise the Perfect Dog
Terri Farley is the author of Seven Tears into the Sea, the Phantom Stallion series for young readers and the forthcoming Wild at Heart: Mustangs and the Young People Fighting to Save Them (Fall 2015).

Terri lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains with her journalist husband and pets, but still longs for the California beaches where she grew up. She's worked as a waitress, journalist

Phantom Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • Mustang Moon (Phantom Stallion, #2)
  • The Renegade (Phantom Stallion, #4)
  • Free Again (Phantom Stallion, #5)
  • The Challenger (Phantom Stallion, #6)
  • Desert Dancer (Phantom Stallion, #7)
  • Golden Ghost (Phantom Stallion, #8)
  • Gift Horse (Phantom Stallion, #9)
  • Red Feather Filly (Phantom Stallion, #10)
  • Untamed (Phantom Stallion, #11)

News & Interviews