Start by marking “The Age of Witches” as Want to Read:
The Age of Witches

The Age of Witches

Louisa Morgan, author of A Secret History of Witches, returns with another riveting tale of family, witchcraft, and love that spans generations, set in Gilded Age New York and London.

Harriet Bishop, descended from a long line of witches, uses magic to help women in need -- not only ordinary women, but also those with powers of their own. She must intervene when a distant
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Witches

Start your review of The Age of Witches
Judy
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written tale of witches in Gilded Age New York. Harriet and Frances are both descendants of Bridget Bishop, who was hanged a century before. Harriet practices herbal magic while Frances practices a darker type of magic. Harriet is a healer and uses her magic wisely, while her cousin Frances uses her magic to get what she wants - a husband who has money and now she wants her step-daughter, Annis, to marry a man with a title to place her in a position to join the elite 400 in New ...more
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
There are some books that make their intentions very obvious from the get go. LIKE this character. HERE is the history of our world. THIS is what you should feel. And all that does is make reading feel like a chore, like I'm being lectured or told what to do.

And then there are some books like The Age of Witches that are so beautifully crafted they make reading an immersive experience that is almost effortless. There is no denying that this is expertly written. Louisa Morgan has this phenomenal
Anne Monteith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free digital ARC through Netgalley in exchange for a honest, unbiased review. I sincerely thank Netgalley, author and/or publisher for giving me this opportunity.

This is a story of three generations of witches and two different types of magic. They are all descended from Bridget Bishop who was executed for witchcraft during the Salem Witch Era. Furious at her fate, she vowed to watch over her descendants and through them punish all men who think they can control women.

A century
Ally
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Oh my witchy goodness!

The Age of Witches is a neat little tale about three witches in 1890 New York City. Everyone's mother is dead, this has created some T-R-A-U-M-A and each witch deals with it a bit differently. It's a classic tale of good vs. evil but with its own spin. We get some familial drama, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of MAGICK.

I truly loved this book. The main female characters were interesting and you felt for each and every one of them. Kindness and justice are a huge
Leslie Pinson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, 2019-read
This is a story of a young woman and her first excursions into magic and the effect it has on her life and those around her. There are strong female characters and close relationships.
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF'd @ 25%

The Age of Witches by Louisa Morgan has so much potential and the concept is quite intriguing. Unfortunately, it ended up not being for me because it's so darn slow. As of a quarter of the way through this 448 page novel, next to nothing at all happens. While the writing itself is beautiful, I simply ended up losing interest. Thanks anyway, NetGalley.
Lizz
I really wanted to like this book because I loved the concept was great. I love stories about powerful women and witches. This was just very slow to me and it was hard to keep my interest going. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters and I really didn't care what happened to them.

Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Elzecatreads
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.

The Age of Witches, due to be published on April 7, 2020, is Louisa Morgan's newest book in the loosely connected series of books that begins with A Secret History of Witches.

The book begins with a prologue set in 1692 focusing on the death of accused witch Bridget Bishop, and then jumps easily to 1890s New York and England. The story's protagonist is Annis, a beautiful, headstrong 17 year-old who loves horses,
Kate
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A generational tale filled with magic!

Bridget Bishop was hanged as a witch in Salem in 1692, in 1890 two of her female descendants battle over using their magic for good and evil.

Harriet uses her powers to help and heal others, knows a witch is meant to be a bringer of wisdom and beauty. But Francis her cousin has always used her magic for personal gain and wickedness.

Francis ploys to solidify her family amongst the cities elite using magic but Harriet intervenes with the help of Annis,
Malia
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I only liked it. On paper I should love this book. It's got witches, Gilded Age NYC, American nouveau riche going to England to marry impoverished nobility, all things I love. I think the pacing was just a little too slow for me. It just didn't sweep me away as I really wanted it to, and I ended up finding it a bit of a chore to read. It raises an interesting question about women seeking equality when they have superhuman qualities, but I'm not sure it comes to a very ...more
Kate Morgan
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
*Thanks to Redhook Books through Netgalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.*

I loved the premise of "The Age of Witches" but I just don't think Morgan's style of writing captured me. Although, if you love reading about history, witchcraft, and some family drama -- check this book out.
Alison Kelly
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Spoiler Review from www.bossylibrarian.com

Age of Witches is a perfect candidate for a good old fashioned book burning. Honestly, if some ultra-conservative Christian church group doesnt buy boxes of this book with the sole intention of burning them, they are missing out!

Not only is this book about witches, but the main characters are basically the 1890s version of feminists. These witches refuse to submit to the men in their lives, and they go even further, using their power to influence men
Tiffany
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, arc, romance
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this DRC in exchange for my honest review.

Louisa Morgan creates a tale that weaves in life during the Gilded Age in America and England while telling the story of 3 Bishop witches. Each of the 4 different characters (3 witches 1 gentleman) rotates as the narrator of particular chapters, but it is done in a way that is easy to follow without getting lost between the shifts. The pace is slow for the majority of the book and even the climactic
Cam
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for the book to review. I found this book long winded and not my favorite when it comes to witchcraft. This felt like more like women being called witches due to their knowledge of herbs/ and they help others. The should have been called The Age of the Herbs and throw in a evil step mother to have a villain. The story didnt do much for me but the writing style was great. ...more
The Starry Library
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young independent woman finds herself in the crossfire of spells and love in the latest novel by Louisa Morgan.

Its the Gilded Age and 17 year old Annis, the heiress to an extremely successful stove company in New York City is ushered overseas to find a husband to secure her step-mothers status. The arrangement reeks of magicked manipulation and the story takes a dark turn when the innocent become the victims of self-interested witches.

There are dark grimoires, magical spells, amulets, and
Kaycee Sterling
Annis doesnt know who or what she is. She just knows she loves her horse and has dreams for them both. Harriet knows, but has kept her distance from her great niece until she had no choice but to intervene when a family member trys to use Annis as a pawn in her own game to earn more prestige. Together Annis and Harriet try to fix the dark magic in motion and try not to lose themselves to the darkness in the process.

I was really excited to win this book through a Goodreads giveaway. It looked
Cdhutson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, favorites
This went by too fast. It had witches, magic, dark magic and a little but not too much romance
Tracett
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The Age of Witches is a fine blend of Victorian historical romance and a family saga of witches. Not my favorite of the three witch books Morgan has written but still a compelling read that had me reading until far too late into the night. I have loved her use of history and philosophical questions that run through her other two witch books but this one was a little light in that regard. Yes, there were deeper touches here and there but no more than you might read in many current historical ...more
Rebecca Goss
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written book that depicts the treatment of women with special abilities throughout history. Annis defies characterization of her time period because she rejects societal notions that she should behave in a specific way because she is a woman. Her step-mother has a streak of evil but the readers will see how she struggled throughout her life. I enjoyed this book immensely and recommend it wholeheartedly.
Evelyn Carrillo
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I stated reading this book and I absolutely love it. Great writing, great plot. I will add to this review when I finish reading it, but so far it is a winner.
Kim
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Bridget Bishop was hanged for her witchcraft in 1692. Two hundred years later, the two lines of her family retain her powers, but use it for different purposes- one uses it to help and heal people, the other uses it to pursue power. That conflict will come to a head over the fate of Annis, the youngest member of the family. Anniss privileged life in Gilded Age New York is set to change, for her step-mother, Frances is set on gaining a noble title for the family. She takes Annis across the ocean ...more
Allison Speakmon
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Raise your hand if you love a good magic book! Me, I do! I love all stories about witches and magic especially when the magic is more feeling and emotion than just wand waving.
Morgan has crafted a beautiful narrative about witches in the Gilded Age of New York. The depth of characters combinded with the significant world building is fabulous.
While the story follows the view point of three separate Bishop witches, I found myself drawn to Annis. Annis, is a rebelliously independent 18 year old
Tattooed Bibliophile
Rating: T (there is mild violence and witchery, but nothing of a graphic nature.)

"She might not be a witch-indeed, she was not sure precisely what a witch was-but she was not nothing."

In Gilded Age New York, a centuries-long clash between two branches of the same magical family ignites when a young witch must choose between morality and ambition, as her predecessors before her have.

In 1692, Bridget Bishop was hanged as a witch. Two hundred years later, her legacy lives on in the scions of two
WS_BOOKCLUB
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it

Thank you to Orbit Books and Angela Man for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This book will be available on April seventh, 2020.

Reading this book, I found myself in a its not you, its me situation. It was well written, but I just really didnt care for it. Possibly, it was because the book didnt seem to match its blurb. When I read the description, I expected a lot more action than there is in the book. I guess I failed to take
Ash
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Secret History of Witches
I read Louisa Morgans first book, A Secret History of Witches. It wasnt a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it enough that when I saw The Age of Witches on NetGalley, I thought it might at least be worth a read. I went in expecting more of what I got from ASHOW: a story that centers female characters and female relationships, a charming writing style, a lackluster plot, and a hint of magic.

The Age of Witches had all those things. The narration alternated between four characters. Harriet is a
Heather
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy of this via the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Harriet Bishop comes from a long line of witches. She can trace her lineage right down to Salem. She uses her gifts to help women in need, and not only ordinary women, but those with their own powers as well. When her distant cousin, Francis Allington, decides to use her powers for a dangerous gain, Harriet has no choice but to intervene before anyone can come to harm.

Frances Allington has spent her entire life
Michaela Whitney
Laurie (AFozenBookParadise)
I was provided with an arc via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My x meets x pitch for this is Downton Abbey meets Macbeth. It's got all the class, money, and elite socialites mixed in with three witches each with their own agendas.

This book was very well written. All the characters were very well developed, even the "villain". Everyone had clear motives and were given the right amount of page time. This book was a success technically. My favourite character was Annis by far, being the
RRK
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewnetg
The Age of Witches was a fast read. It was entertaining for the most part. Felt a bit unrealistic at times, but overall it was a good read. This novel didn't wow me but that's not to say I didn't like it. I finished this book in a day which says a lot about the writing style and story.
This is a story of the clash of wills and intentions of two witches and the repercussions of their actions. Annis falls victim to the scheming of her stepmother Frances, who's a witch, and Harriet, Annis's great
Nicole
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
The thing that impresses me about Morgan's writing is how tactile and sensory it is. She's at her best when she's writing about the natural side of witchery: the sensations of earth underneath fingernails, the feel of flowers on fingertips, the taste of herbs on a tongue. Whatever the equivalent of AMSR is for the written word, she's got it.

I like Morgan's witches. I like the way they inhabit their skills and navigate their worlds. I like quiet sort of dreaminess she brings to fantasy.

What I
« previous 1 3 next »

• Turning Darkness Into Light
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • One Way
  • The White Man's Guide to White Male Writers of the Western Canon
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Acid For The Children
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Hi Five (IQ, #4)
  • Catherine House
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)