Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:
The Switch

The Switch

Eileen is sick of being 79.
Leena's tired of life in her twenties.
Maybe it's time they swapped places...

When overachiever Leena Cotton is ordered to take a two-month sabbatical after blowing a big presentation at work, she escapes to her grandmother Eileen's house for some overdue rest. Eileen is newly single and about to turn eighty. She'd like a second chance at love, but

Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by Quercus: Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Switch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Switch

Start your review of The Switch
Emer (A Little Haze)
Last year (Jan 2019) I had the good fortune of reading Beth O'Leary's debut novel, The Flatshare, as an ARC from NetGalley and it was a book that really gave me great hope in her abilities as a writer because she managed to find a fresh and unique spin on the romantic dramedy genre of fiction...

And with this new novel The Switch she has once again shown that she is a brilliant storyteller in this area.

I loved this book.

Utterly loved it.

It gave me all the feels I could ever have hoped for and
✨ A ✨
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-release
I thought this was going to be like a Freaky Friday movie body switch. And then I reread the blurb and realised it's a place swap not a body swap *face palms*
That's what I get for skimming through blurbs.
_____
Thank you to Hachette Australia for this ARC

Release Date: 28 April 2020
Abby Jimenez
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, what to say about this book. I guess I should start by mentioning that I gave it the highest honorI read it with my eyeballs lol. I do audiobooks. It's reeeeeally hard for me to get to a paperback. I just blew through this.

The world is light and charming and I particularly loved getting Eileen's POV in this. It really kept the pages moving for me because I couldn't decide who I liked best, Leena or her grandmother, and I wanted to keep reading to get to their next chapters.

This is
ThatBookGal
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored The Flatshare, and I would go so far to say that The Switch was even better! I just love Beth O'Leary's style of writing, its gentle and very easy to read, whilst still managing to address some underlying issues facing society. The Switch made me laugh out loud in almost every one of its chapters. It's hilarious, heartwarming and genuinely moving.

A large part of the narrative addresses grief and how it can affect every aspect of your life. I loved the idea of the two
NZLisaM
Simply Gorgeous and Uplifting!

Last year I gushed over The Flatshare, well in my opinion Beth O'Leary has exceeded my expectations even more with The Switch, and believe me I'm going to be spending the remainder of the year (and longer) raving about this beautiful, heartwarming book, and recommending it to every reader I encounter.

When wound tight, workaholic Leena Cotton experiences a panic attack during a big presentation her company orders her to take two months leave. Dreading the endless
book bruin
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a heartwarming and uplifting novel. I loved how Beth O'Leary put her own unique spin on the trading places premise. I don't think that I have ever read a novel with an older main character quite like Eileen Cotton. She was hilarious and vivacious and I can only hope that I'm half as entertaining when I'm her age. I loved that it was Eileen out there dating and really embracing life and its adventures. It was a wonderful role reversal and contrast to her granddaughter, Leena. The ...more
Bruna Oliveira
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Beth O'Leary's second novel has two protagonists: Eileen and Leena, a grandmother and granddaughter, who decided to swap houses since both of them are going through a rough patch. Eileen was just left by her husband who decided to live with a younger dance teacher and Leena was forced into some vacation, because she has not been dealing well with work's pressure after her sister's death.

First of all, I have
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
As much as I hate reality TV, I always watched things like Celebrity Wife Swap and Trading Spouses. There's just something so weird and uncomfortable to me about the idea of letting a stranger have free reign in your home...
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
So we have a The Holiday featuring Jack Black, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, and Jude Law-Esque scenario by an author already proven to craft unexpectedly marvelous stories of self discovery and romance?

And this comes out when???
lara
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just seem to love everything Beth O'Leary writes. There's just something so fun and so british about the way that she writes that I can't help but enjoy every second of reading her books. She's definitely at the top of my insta-buy author list now. Her contemporaries are fun, have great friendships with the best banter, and have cute romances, but they also both deal with deeper issues in such an amazing way. Specifically, this book dealt with grief, death of a loved one, domestic abuse, ...more
Mark Porton
After reading Beth O'Leary's first book, The Flat Share, which was funny, feel good, fresh and totally surprising - I was massively looking forward to her second book, The Switch.

However, The Switch didn't really hit the mark for me. The story of a Grandmother and Grandaughter switching lives (albeit partially), swapping houses and towns was just a bit too ridiculous to believe. I couldn't warm to the main characters and the supporting cast were really clones of those endured in the scores of
Stacey (prettybooks)
Beth O'Leary's The Flatshare was a huge hit with me and so The Switch out April 2020 is one of my most anticipated releases. I read it during my Christmas break and it was the perfect choice warm, uplifting and totally different to anything else I've read lately.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

#gifted: Thank you to the publisher for sending me this book for free in exchange for an honest review!
Eilidh
The Switch is the charming multigenerational story of the Cotton family. Leena Cotton and her grandmother, Eileen Cotton, decide to switch places for two months: with Leena leaving London to live in her grandmothers home located in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, and Eileen going to live with Leenas flat mates in London.

Both Cotton ladies represent identity loss. Eileen has woke up from her life of complacency that comes with living through habit, and realised she wants an adventure to
Jenna Nelson
Hmmm....I really wanted this book to be as good as the flat share but it just didnt do it for me. It was a good read but I thought that there was something missing. I loved the characters, eileen and leena are the best but it didnt have that wow oh my god factor. Eileen and her granddaughter decide to swap lives to try & find love & for leena to take time off but it doesnt go as planned as they thought. A few wee twists and turns but not enough for me to get hooked and wanting more. I'm ...more
Zubs Malik
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I waited a whole year for this book. And then it was all over in under six hours. Hey Beth? Where is book three please.

I am offering this super mini review to entice you all because I KNOW a lot of you are patiently (okay, not so patiently Im looking at you @bringmybooks ) waiting to get your hands on a copy of Beths new book and let me tell you something - it will be worth the wait.

I did not think that she would be able to top the incredible premise that was The Flat Share, but this book is
Emily May
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth O'Leary's second novel, 'The Switch', revolves around two protagonists, Leena, a London-based management consultant, and her grandmother, Eileen, who lives in a rural village in the Yorkshire Dales. Through the dual narrative structure, we follow their lives over the course of two months, after they decided to swap places and live in each other's shoes, in the hopes of coming to term with the recent death of Leena's sister, Carla. Leena busies herself trying to fulfill all of the important ...more
Theighan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to give a massive thank you to Quercus Books for sending me an ARC of this amazing book! Will forever feel beyond honoured!

And now, THIS. BOOK. Well, Beth has only went and bloody done it again hasnt she! What a queen of contemporaries honestly. As soon as I read the first page of Eileens first chapter I was in love with her. Shes just such a funny, strong and sassy character and I love how I forgot about her age a lot throughout the book. I didnt see her as the wee poor old
Bex mummyisreading
Thank you to Netgalley and Quercus for selecting me to review an early e-copy of this book! Having lost my own Nanny Dot in October last year, I was a little nervous that this book might be a difficult read. I needn't have worried; Beth O'Leary has created something truly special with her cocktail of love, magic and laughter that I think this book might possibly be one of my most treasured reads as an adult.

Eileen is exactly the sort of woman who just IS a Grandmother, or a Nan. She's strong to
Ariadna
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the embodiment of wholesomeness!!
The beginning was a little slow for me and i feel like the characters took a while to become solid. They were kind of 2D in the beginning but after the midpoint and onward it was absolutely amazing. I just have to say that i got so attached to all the characters especially the grandma and Jackson and Bee, and just generally most of them are so lovable and you just want to protect them under your wing because they are precious but at the same time
Becky Sumner
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well what can I say? I am going to say what usually say is a cliché but
I loved this book! It pulled me in from the start!
Eileen Cotton is a fiesty but amazing older lady who is the matriarch of not only her family but also her local community.
She is a force to be reckoned with for certain but she has a heart of gold and an answer for everything!
Her grand daughter Leena is the opposite.. She hurries about whilst all the time having her head buried in the sand.
Leena's sister Carla died of cancer
my bookworm life
After falling in love with The Flatshare last year i was so excited when i saw Beth was writing a new book!, i am so thankful to the publishers for sending me a lovely proof copy of The Switch and i adored it!

This is just more of the cosy, funny, emotive and feel good fiction that we had from The Flatshare, this time with a Grandaughter and her Grandmother, trading places and lives for 2 months to see what they can learn and get out of a change of pace and people. Firstly i just loved the
Emmie Rose
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was extremely nervous going into this book. I absolutely adored The Flatshare, which was one of my most anticipated reads of last year. I knew this book was going to be a lot different and at first I felt on the edge by the synopsis however, I trusted Beth OLeary to produce an amazing book and she did not prove me wrong.

I became so emotionally invested in the characters in this book and was honestly gutted when I had reached the end, as I honestly found myself unable to put it down! Beth O
Bex mummyisreading
I absolutely adored this book. Review to come on my blog
Emma
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grandmother Eileen and granddaughter Leena switch lives in hope of change, adventure and reconciling. Eileen lives in a small Yorkshire village and is dealing with separating from her cheating husband, and Leena has been asked to take leave from her job in London.

Switching lives at first fills them both with dread and guilt of leaving each others friends and responsibilities behind them. After time they both adapt to their new lives and make new friendships and revelations along the way.

As she
Eva vs The World 🌎
5 stars.

This was the easiest 5 stars Ive ever awarded to a book and there was no way this would be getting any less. Ill be writing up a review soon to let you know my thoughts!
Reyes
ARC kindly provided by Quercus Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!

When I requested an ARC of The Switch I thought it had the potential to be brilliant or a total disaster... I loved the author's first book and I was happy to find here some the things that I enjoyed so much in The Flatshare. Mixing a heavily emotional story with lighter and often funny topics is a good choice here, and I think both are done skilfully. My problem is that at some point the lighter topics
Clare
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
2 stars!

I adored Beth O'Leary's first book, The Flatshare, since it was original and entertaining, so I was super hyped to read The Switch. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed, as it was very predictable, slow and both main characters were awful.

For majority of this book, literally nothing happens. Leena basically goes to village meetings, and deals with village and family drama, while Eileens in the city talking to men off a dating website.

I was expecting a lot more romance in this, but
Tilly
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

TW: Loss of a sister/daughter/granddaughter, cancer, cheating.

After The Flatshare being one of my favourite books of 2019, I was so incredibly happy to be gifted an arc of The Switch and it did not let me down.

Reading The Switch was like coming home to a cup of tea, cosy clothes and curling up under a duvet: incredibly warm and inviting. Beth O'Leary had an amazing way of making you love characters before you barely know them and the idea of the Grandmother Eileen and Granddaughter Leena
Kathryn
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars rounded up*

O'Leary writes such incredible characters, that I feel as though I could pop round and have a brew with any one of them. Her books, especially the note they end on, make me feel so uplifted, fuzzy and hopeful and I'd bottle that feeling if I could!

We follow grandmother and granddaughter duo, Eileen and Leena, as they both realise they're stuck in life ruts for various reasons. After a workplace disaster on Leena's part, the pair decide to switch lives for two months: Eileen
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Queen Bee
  • Three Hours
  • My Pear-Shaped Life
  • The Silent Treatment
  • Knock Knock (Detectives Lockhart and Green Book #1)
Beth studied English at university before going into childrens publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
Youll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).

News & Interviews