Start by marking “L'Envol du phénix (Sœurs de Sang, #1)” as Want to Read:
L'Envol du phénix (Sœurs de Sang, #1)

L'Envol du phénix

(Crown of Feathers #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  6,972 ratings  ·  1,685 reviews
Les phénix ne sont pas les seuls à pouvoir renaître de leurs cendres...
Autrefois, j'avais une sœur, que j'aimais de toutes mes forces. Pourtant, si j'avais su, je l'aurais haïe. Mais qui a jamais pu contrôler les mouvements de son cœur ?

Véronika regarde brûler dans l'âtre deux œufs de phénix sur le point d'éclore... Dire qu'il y a quelques années à peine, de puissantes rei
Published February 13th 2020 by Lumen (first published February 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about L'Envol du phénix, please sign up.
Mikayla It's a trilogy now! News was just announced!!!! I AM SO THRILLED!
Courts & Castles Books There is a hint of romance between multiple characters, LGBT and not, but nothing ever really developed between any of them (yet!)

·  6,972 ratings  ·  1,685 reviews

Start your review of L'Envol du phénix (Sœurs de Sang, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The February Owlcrate book! Click on the link below to see the goods. I have two favorites in the bunch! =)

THE GOODIES

I quite enjoyed this book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
jessica
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, isnt this just the most surprising adventure!? i mean, i had no idea phoenixes were what i needed in my life, but now i cant get enough!

its definitely the showcasing of this very under-appreciated magical beast that makes the story so unique. because to be honest, everything else is super familiar. i mean, this story is a YA fantasy trope lovers dream. you have the whole ‘those with magical abilities outcasted and enslaved.’ you can check off ‘girl pretends to be boy to live her best life.
Miranda Reads
Jun 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd, owned, audiobook
description
Oh. My. Gosh.

I hate it. I hate it with a passion.

The pacing - mind numbingly slow.

The characters - horrendously predictable.

AND the entire plot HINGES on a series of completely unnecessary lies - the entire plot would be utterly gone if the people would stop lying about every little thing for like one freaking chapter.

(view spoiler)
Umairah | Sereadipity
Five Feather-Crowned Stars!
Plot: 4.5/5 Characters: 4.5/5 Writing: 5/5

When I realised that this book was not only about phoenixes but also phoenix riders I knew I had to read it. I probably love phoenixes just as much (or maybe even more) than I love dragons and I really hoped this book would do these ferocious, fiery creatures justice. It sure did. It probably increased my love for phoenixes tenfold. If I could, I would definitely become a phoenix rider without hesitation.
"Like poetry on wing
Amy Imogene Reads
5 stars

Wow. It wasn’t perfect, the beginning was an info dump—but this was amazing, and one of the best series openers I’ve read recently in YA fantasy.

World Building: ★★★★★
Characters/Character Arcs: ★★★★
Readability: ★★ 1/2
Plot: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★ 1/2

Crown of Feathers is impressive, but it is not for the casual YA fantasy reader. I enjoy reading dense fantasy fiction and I had a hard time connecting to the first 100 pages.

Veronyka and her sister, Val, are two animages on the run from the current
Sara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crown of Feathers is a YA fantasy centered around 2 sisters in a land once ruled by phoenix riders.

I almost DNF'ed this book at 25%, in fact i did stop and read another book instead before picking it back up!
I was really interested in the concept going in and the first couple of chapters were pretty good but after that the story slowed and started to drag. It is pretty heavy on the description which i'm not the biggest fan of but i am really glad i stuck with this. Around the half way point thi
Mel (Epic Reading)
DNF @ 36%
Crown of Feathers has a cool concept on the surface, the cover is beautiful and (eek!) cute phoenixes. Unfortunately that’s where the excitement ends in this one. I found the plot to be typical, the characters undeveloped and overall the tone of the writing to lack excitement.

Characters
There is really nothing more important than characters having strong personalities when they are the POV. We have the POV of three major characters (lead female and two male). Each of these POVs are uniq
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Two sisters rip apart an empire through war and to find peace the Phoenix Riders must be buried. 16 years later, Veronyka dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider with her controlling sister. After a shocking betrayal she sets out alone to follow rumors of the riders and to join them even if it means dressing as a boy. Veronyka is not the only one pursuing rumors, so is the new empire and they mean to wipe out the riders once and for all.

The short r
Carrie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto is the first book in the young adult fantasy series by the same name. This series takes readers into a world in which the Phoenix exist and introduces the warriors that ride them. The story is told from the multiple points of view of Veronyka, Sev and Tristan.

Veronyka is what is known as an animage who has the ability to communicate with animals. Since the end of the blood war animages have been in hiding and with a lack of Phoenix eggs the once mighty Phoeni
Mila
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series, arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked:
- The diversity in this book was great and it felt natural;
- The initial ideas and worldbuilding were fascinating; I'd really like to see more books featuring phoenixes.

What I didn't like:
- The info-dumping was very frequent and interrupted the flow of the story; sometimes pretty much the same things were repeated from different POVs and it got annoying very quic
Connor
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Video Review:

At first, I wasn’t going to do a review, but I think I might film one now. This is interesting because I had some big problems with pacing, but I ended up having a fun time and enjoying the drama despite the first 50-ish pages being a huge info dump. Like, a dump so bad that you turn the AC off in the car when you’re near it. I’ll leave a link to the review and leave a rating when the review goes up!
Melissa
I have only one thing to say: the book does start slow, and soon you’ll drown in historical details and characters. It’s really hard to keep up in the beginning, it’s not an easy read. I compared it to Game of Thrones and I stick to this comparison. I kept reading because I did too with the Game of Thrones series and ended up loving it, so I gave Crown of Feathers a chance... And I’m so happy I did, so much was happening, I wasn’t able to stop reading it! With all the action, the info didn’t see ...more
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Can't wait for this!
Ails
5 FIERY STARS

”From the ashes I rose, like a phoenix from the pyre.”

Praises from NYT bestselling authors:

"A fierce and incendiary tale of warrior women, sisterhood, and the choices that define us, all set in a soaring new world that readers will fall in love with. I couldn’t put it down."
— Lisa Maxwell, author of the Last Magician series

"The unique and imaginative world of the Phoenix Riders had my rapt attention from the first sentence. Nicki Pau Preto is a bright new talent, and
Mariah
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not gonna lie, the gorgeous cover was what caught my eye.
But then, having been blessed with the maturity of a 12 year old boy, my gaze snagged on the author's last name. I'm just happy she didn't grow up in Brazil.

If you are also really immature, I invite you to google translate the author's last name (portuguese to english).

I apologize to my family.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
The sort of epic high fantasy that fills up your imagination and heart. Veronyka is a tender soul - I felt for her in her loneliness and betrayal then joy and friendship.

So many elements of this story are done beautifully- Veronyka and Val’s complicated relationship and definitely the magic and mystery behind animage and phoenix.

A must-read!
Leah
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
I was fortunate enough to meet Nicki Pau Preto at the Cassandra Clare signing last weekend in Vancouver (read kind of accidentally ambushed her on the way out of the bathroom). At the time I was halfway through Crown of Feathers and loving it, and I had to tell her that. She was very kind and gracious, so I'm going to say it was a good thing I was only halfway through the book then. Because I'm pretty sure my reaction when I finished this would have scared the crap out of her. THIS WAS AMAZING!! ...more
Raquel Baggins
Uncorrected eARC copy received from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

1.5 ★ : good premise, diversity and disability — predictable and just a bunch of info-dumping
«What did the great heroes do when the sun fell from the sky? They leapt onto those wild flames and learned how to fly»

Review in English | Reseña en español (abajo)
Crown of Feathers is the first instalment of a new epic high fantasy
Helen Power
Synopsis

Veronyka is a war orphan who was raised by her deceased grandmother and her older sister, Val. Veronyka and her sister are "animages", and have the ability to communicate with animals.  This is not uncommon in the world they live in, but ever since the war their kind have been persecuted.  Val and Veronyka want nothing more than to become Phoenix Riders, like the heroes who fought during the war.

After a terrible betrayal, Veronyka flees from her sister and finds a sanctuary for her kind,
Elly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the good fortune to get my hands on an early version of Crown of Feathers, and I immediately fell in love with Pau Preto's beautiful writing. I loved the characters, especially Veronyka and her complex relationship with her sister Val. Fans of action, romance, magical characters, and deep world building will adore sinking their teeth into this richly imagined world!
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Mention of death and war. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Simon and Schuster Canada and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Crown of Feathers has been getting a lot of buzz and excitement. When I saw it on Netgalley I requested an arc to see what the buzz was about. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it.

The first few chapters were fairly interesting. There was quite a bit off info dumping but I found it to be useful to understand the world.
Brittany
ALL THE FIERY STARS 🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥
I had the pleasure of receiving the ARC of Crown of Feathers, all opinions are my own and are not influenced by being given this opportunity!

How am I supposed to write a review for this magnificent book when I can’t even form proper words right now! Guys, Guys, Guys, buy this book. Request it at your library. Do whatever you have to, but support Nicki however you can! Crown of Feathers is beyond superb and I will fight to my death shouting about how incredible this s
Alaina
Okay, so for like 60% of this book - I was bored out of my damn mind. So much information was being dumped on me left, right, top, down - EVERYWHERE. I honestly didn't care about anything because I was so freaking bored. THEN at like 61%, shit got better. THANK GOD GUYS.

Crown of Feathers was an interesting book that revolved around phoenix riders. Yes, things do happen between a sisterly bond that you wouldn't expect. Some things broke my heart a little bit but there was always some weird myster
Diana
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg, what a marvelous book.
Full review coming soon.

Vid review here: https://youtu.be/9o-7pDjI0JM on August 16th, 2019
Laura ☾
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
While I enjoyed the world and the historical aspects, the pacing of this just felt all over the place, and really dragged on in parts!

Crown of Feathers centres on a world which contains Animages, the most proficient of which are Phoenix riders, who are persecuted after a rebellion. This felt a little Mulan-esque to me at points (which is definitely bonus points!).

I found the characterisation of Phoenixes and their magic and intelligence brilliant! And the world itself and the characters were ri
Caylynn
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, 2019-release
4.5/5 stars
Life was easier when you didn't care - or so he'd thought. He'd spent so much time afraid of hurting, of losing everything again, that he'd forgotten life wasn't worth living - worth saving - if you had nothing to live for.

Now that I've read this book for the second time, I'm finally posting a review of it.

This book is absolutely brilliant. The story is unique and fun to read, the characters are all intriguing and easy to fall in love with, and the mysteries are cleverly hidden
Jodi Meadows
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and worldbuilding. The one part made me cry a little.
Sam Glasbrenner (Sassyowlreads)
This book was absolutely amazing! I love the concept of Phoenix Riders and there were so many twists that I was an emotional wreck by the end.
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Well - I wanted to love this book a lot more than I did.

First off obviously the cover is gorgeous, but I am assuming that the phoenix is supposed to be Xephyra - so where is all the violet plumage that she is described to have? Also the map doesn't show the country that Pyra split off from? I love a good fantasy map but this doesn't show a lot of the locations mentioned, some major, and I don't like it at all.

The majority of the first 75% of the book was not necessarily boring, but a LOT of mili
Kate
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a slog. The lore was interesting, but it really was "Info Dump: The Book". It could have been great with some editing.

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isn’t interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Crown of Feathers (3 books)
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
  • Wings of Shadow (Crown of Feathers, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Move over tribute volunteers and chosen ones. There's a new wave of heroes in town. This year, the young adult category is...
“But that was the nature of life and loss: There was never enough time.” 16 likes
“Where there is will, there is possibility.” 13 likes