Start by marking “Palestine +100: Stories from a century after the Nakba” as Want to Read:
Palestine +100: Stories from a century after the Nakba

Palestine +100: Stories from a century after the Nakba

Palestine + 100 poses a question to twelve Palestinian writers: what might your country look like in the year 2048 a century after the tragedies and trauma of what has come to be called the Nakba? How might this event which, in 1948, saw the expulsion of over 700,000 Palestinian Arabs from their homes reach across a century of occupation, oppression, and political ...more
Published July 25th 2019 by Comma Press

To ask other readers questions about Palestine +100, please sign up.
Kevin Squirel This is a collection of short stories by Palestinian authors. There is no neutral perspective in an ongoing act of injustice.

Start your review of Palestine +100: Stories from a century after the Nakba
Inderjit Sanghera
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palestine re-imagined a century after the Nakba, which marked the expulsion of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from their homes in what is now Israel; Palestine re-imagined via the prism of sci-fi fiction, the fantastical tropes of sci-fi fiction serve to heighten the horror of the stories they are depicting, in which the Palestinian characters are systematically dehumanised beneath the behemoth of the Israeli state, in the many iterations in which it is depicted in the collection of ...more
Paul Dembina
After a very promising 1st few stories my interest waned considerably to such an extent that I couldn't even finish the final piece.
Lindsay Saligman
Science fiction isnt really my thing but I found the concept of this book interesting enough to give it a try.

I found the stories to be hit or miss. Something that struck me about the collection overall was how humanly and sympathetically the Israeli characters portrayed, even though the amorphous government in the stories did horrible things.

My two favorite stories were the first (about the Gaza suicide and freedom of digital return) because the idea of creating a world made of collective
Joey Ayoub
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Future Palestinian Present

This piece was initially published on Mangal Media on August 25th, 2019.

There is a concept coined by the Lebanese writer Walid Sadek which denotes a present endlessly postponed by the lack of pasts and futures. He calls it the protracted now. Since discovering it in his The Ruin to Come, Essays from a Protracted War, I have been carrying this concept around with me, like an overweight suitcase that Id rather check in at the
Naomi
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of Palestinian sci-fi, set in 2048: close enough to project current Palestinian fantasies and fears onto, far enough to accommodate technological and political divergence. I found the perspectives in it interesting, but I'm only reviewing this collection on the quality and creativity of the stories.

Don't be put off by the uninspired first story, which reads like overwrought dystopian YA. The second story, "Sleep It Off, Dr Schott", immediately recovers in presenting a cynic's
Deaddad
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12 writers were asked to imagine Palestine 100 years on from the Nabka, when over 700,000 Palestinian Arabs were forced to flee during the Palestinian War in 1948. This was half of the population at the time. The effects of this event still resonate and occupy the minds and lives of Palestinians in the occupied territories and dispersed around the globe.

The editor Basma Ghalayini in her introduction gives this historical background but also explains why science fiction is not a natural genre for
Bassam Kassouma
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories by Palestinian writers to imagine Palestine a hundred years from the Nakba (1984), which resulted in the expulsion of Palestinians from their country. The exodus was a result of the Palestine - "Israeli" war, also referred to Nakba.

The stories are very good, however, some are better than the others. I specifically liked "The Key" and "Application 39". I found other stories, however, a way to fill in the book.

I don't recommend this book if you are trying to get historical fact about
Kevin Squirel
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are not the great names of 21st century science fiction. In fact, you will never have heard of any of these authors, and that's kinda the point. The writing is dark, sad, and often bitter. A legacy of historical injustice is present in each story. The very conceit of this collection of stories is a challenge to the idea that you can write utopian speculative fiction when your daily lives continue to be under the thumb of a brutal military occupation.

This is essential reading precisely
Paul
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
From the same series as "Iraq +100", this time speculative science fiction stories from Palestinian writers, set in the near future of 2048, 100 years after the Nakba. A dozen short stories. Varied, imaginative, and often very dark. A fascinating premise for a book, and a formidable collection of stories.
Vickie Mansour-hasan
The first story hooked me. An amazing collection of speculative fiction. Riveting.
Brittany
Ive rated this as 3* purely because I found myself putting it down more and not enjoying it as much as Iraq+100. Now this may be due to my decreased knowledge about the topic; I honestly couldnt tell you. The anthology felt very uneven; some stories captivated my imaginations while others just didnt.

I said of Iraq+100 that it does something different as a sci-fi book; it is culturally relevant and dissonant. I would say the exact same of this book. Some of the stories may have been harder for me
Hagay Hacohen
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uneven collection, at times crude and at others - brilliant

A great selection of short stories, some brilliant, others not so much, that will do a lot to humanize Palestinian view-points of read by Israelis. The footnotes are extremely one sided, presenting no trace of Arab violence against Jews, and some stories are crude in presenting fictional IDF soldiers murdering Palestinians using drones (2030) and shutting off their breathing masks (vengeance). However, seeing as real, not fictional,
Angelique
Oh god, PALESTINE is what I kept thinking. Man o man, is it an insight into the collective psyche of a people. All the stories had a common thread of loss and history, even though they were stories set in the future. I would re-read. I enjoyed it, but found it hard to not have my heart break in a million pieces thinking of what these people have gone through.

Also, the article from the Guardian gave more insight and I can't stop thinking about it.

Kamil Kopacewicz
Aug 17, 2019
Reem Ka
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2020

• Our Women on the Ground: Essays by Arab Women Reporting from the Arab World
  • The Parisian
  • Docile
  • Leonard and Hungry Paul
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • The Book of Disappearance
  • The Translator
  • The Deep
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • On Palestine
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6