Start by marking “Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts: Recipes for Healthy and Delicious Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Scones, Pies, Puddings, Breads and Pizzas” as Want to Read:

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT HEALTHY TOO

Standard baked goods come with a hefty price on your health—weight gain, cholesterol and diabetes, as well as allergies for many people. Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts shows how to bring taboo treats back to the baking sheet with mouth-watering recipes that transform diet-busting favorites into guilt-free wonders.

Published June 9th 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts

Gillian
Wow, what an eye-opener. There aren't many books where you can say that they literally changed how you think about food, eating, and cooking, but this one, for me anyway, is certainly one of them. As someone who is working hard to lose a substantial amount of weight for various health reasons, including recently diagnosed diabetes, and primary lymphoedema this is a very interesting - and perhaps invaluable - read. Highly recommended. There does seem to be quite an involved and potentially costly ...more
Cris
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I found Keough's fervency more than a little off-putting. She comes off as strident rather than persuasive.

Keough advocates gluten-free and sugar-free baking resulting in a multitude of ingredients that I'd imagine most casual bakers aren't familiar with. (If you already know how to use various agaves and erythritol or stevia as a substitute for sugar, you'll at least be able to follow the recipes herein.) Moreover Keough fails to provide a straightforward, understandable rule-of-thumb to use wh
Mindy
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! There are so many amazing recipes but the best part is that she takes the time to explain the science and reason to gluten free and sugar free baking. There are tables and an extensive appendix for substitutions, allowing the reader to know just what to expect from the substitutions. It's so well written! you jusst know that these are recipes she's actually tried! I really appreciate how much work went into this book!
Try the sugarless sugar cookies- they are everyones favorites
Jaq
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Okay my issue with this is simple - when you use the word sugar free - to me that implies that the sweet is reduced....how wrong I was - some recipes call for stevia and agave, so I'm wondering if it's not pandering to the sweet tooth anyway.....

Still it's full of interesting takes on traditional and new recipes, which is always a great place to start and learn how to adapt to a gluten free existence.
Amanda
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cookbooks
Fantastic conversion list in the back for alternative sweeteners, flours, eggs and oils. The wicked awesome peanut butter waffles were good although guar gum (instead of the corn-derived) xanthan, was a little hard on my system. I've foregone it in other recipes, so I probably will leave it out next time. Otherwise- lots of good recipes I hope to try out. I'm only gluten and corn-free, so I used the conversion list in reverse to make it work for me.
Stacy
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. So many cookbooks are just pages of recipes but Keough includes useful information like standard ingredients, substitution guides and explanations of the new pantry items we'll need. This is exactly what I was looking for in a sugar-free cookbook!
Carol
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Keough addresses a wholesome dietary approach that avoids quick metabolizing ingredients. A good read for the gluten intolerant.
Faith
Dec 28, 2010
Diana
Oct 24, 2013
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2014