Start by marking “The Shrike & the Shadows” as Want to Read:
The Shrike & the Shadows

The Shrike & the Shadows

Men have gone missing before.

The village of Krume is plagued by a haunted wood and a hungry witch. It’s been that way for as long as Hans and Greta can remember, though they have never seen the witch themselves; no one has.

When men start to disappear once again in the cover of night - their bloody hearts turning up on doorsteps - the village falls into frenzied madness.

Ha
Published March 3rd 2020 by The Parliament House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Shrike & the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shrike & the Shadows

Start your review of The Shrike & the Shadows
amanda
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I believe most if not all of us know the tale of Hansel and Gretel.

Two children are cast out by their parents but leave breadcrumbs to find their way back home. They come upon a witch’s house and she wants to eat them yada yada blah blah. There are many variations to the story but that’s the basic gist of it. And of course there are many retellings.

The Shrike & the Shadows is one of these retellings. It is the story of Hans and Greta and of course the Shrike. The Shrike is hungry for men and whe
Marta Cox
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Well this was certainly a different version of Hansel and Gretel and if you are interested in an adult retelling then this might be the book for you. Hans and Greta are nineteen and sadly orphaned . Greta unfortunately has caught the eye of Emory the local holy man but what he wants to do to Greta is as anything but godly ! He bares a grudge when he's spurned and pretty soon manages to convince the village that Greta is a Witch. Hans and Greta are forced into the forest knowing that something ma ...more
Neda
Nov 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I am a sucker for any type of retelling. When I saw this described as Hansel and Gretel retelling, I was sold. How original! And witches, yes please!

Oh boy...from chapter one I knew I was in trouble. I should have put this book down after the first third, but I thought it may get better in the middle. Wrong again. This book needs a complete rewrite on every level. Let me explain in detail.

The plot was nothing. Seriously, nothing happened in this 30 chapter novel. I was at least hoping for a spo
Erika Sarutobi
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.

Now the whole time I was reading through this, I honestly thought it’d be a standalone so it affected my opinion on the book a bit. Nevertheless, the writing style is phenomenal and I love it so much! It’s dark and the vibes, especially from the forest, it set in from the very first chapter captured me instantly!

A lot of things happens in the book and it has a great pace but sometimes the pacing is too fast that there's no time for the suspense to settle in much since the Shrike woul
Kat Mullen
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
“Brooding is not an answer.”
Gotta love it when your main character calls out the guy and Greta was not taking shit from anyone.

This is not the Hansel & Gretel retelling you share with your kids. It was dark and twisted and it was so interesting to see this take on the story as I’ve never read a H&G retelling.

I was a bit confused over the timeline, such as how old Hans and Greta were when their mother died and how long Barin has been around, but as this was an arc (thanks Chantal for the copy!) i
Kristi
The Shrike & The Shadows – The Witch of Krume Book 1 by Chantal Gadoury and A.M. Wright is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel only the names (and places) have been changed to protect the innocent … okay, just kidding about that last part! It’s actually about Greta and Hans, the village of Krume, the haunted woods that surround it, and the Shrike (the witch) that preys on the not so innocent men of the village.

To start, this is not your classic fairytale that you’d read to children! For one, The S
Pretty Bibliophile
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Having read Gadoury’s work before and being an avid lover of them, I was totally excited to pick up this Hansel and Gretel retelling! The Shrike and the Shadows is truly one of a kind, and I have never come across such a retelling before.
The book was really full of emotions and action throughout – there was never any boring part and each word weaved together with the other to fulfill the reader's appetite and also kept him wanting for more. There is an amazing brother-sister bond and the world-
Aly
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
This was an interesting read and not what I expected. It's an adult twist on the Hansel and Gretel story, the twins are nineteen and the witch is called The Shrike. She takes older boys and men and rips their hearts out. The Shrike lures the men through lust, appearing to them as a beautiful woman and bringing them to her. Hans is basically ruled by lust the entire book, even before The Shrike starts invading his mind. Hans sleeps around with all the girls in the village and that's what gets him ...more
Tasha  Ní Mhiacháin
DNF

This book has no trigger warnings for sexual assault. It was pretty early into this when the first mention of it happened, I stopped and asked one of the authors if I'd be coming across any more scenes like that one. I did not get a straightforward reply.

Books with triggers should state it somewhere in the description, and on the actual book. It should definitely be mentioned when you're outright offered a copy of the book to read.

I am grateful, but I am not putting myself through that lev
Brianna Sugalski
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shrike and the Shadows is a disturbingly dazzling venture into the depths of not only the woods, but the dangers of human-townsfolk psyche—and the horrifying truth behind folklore. Readers (and most certainly fans of dark historical films "The Witch" and "The Village") will enjoy Gadoury and Wright’s inventive take on Hansel & Gretel, and the bloodthirsty entity hunting them. ...more
Permanently_Booked
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
"There's a beast in all of us." - Barin

Retellings are always a favorite indulgence of mine. It's more so exciting when you come across one that isn't done as often. This novel is a journey into a dark and twisted ADULT tale of Hansel and Gretel.

After rumors of witchcraft begin to plague their local village, Hans and Greta are forced to leave or Greta burns at the stake. The story takes them on a trail through the Witch's forest where they are forced to face their inner demons, fears and Witch i
Vonda
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Dark and grim retelling of the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel.. Witches, wolves and a renegade priest included. A top notch read for any horror fan.
Shatarupa  Dhar
Series: The Witch of Krume #1

Synopsis:
The Shrike snatches the menfolk of the Krume village from time to time. There reside, Hans and Greta, where the latter dreads the day that Hans would be taken away from her. But after an attack on the village, the twin orphans are banished from the village into the dark woods. What terrible fate awaits the nineteen-year-olds there?

Review:
Ever since I read Between the Sea and Stars by Chantal Gadoury, I knew I would read everything she writes. Especia
Bella
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"No Man has ever escaped her with his life"
-Barin

In the village of Krume lurks something dark, evil, and gruesome in the shadows. There's constant talk about this evil force. Rightfully so, The Shrike is something to fear. Everyone talks about her but, no-one has yet to see how she really looks like. Men have gone missing before, and now it's happening again. The shrike is at it again. Killing the men and boys and ripping out their hearts and leaving them on doorsteps. We meet Hans and Greta who
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, well, well. This book was quite a surprise. I really enjoyed it! I didn't know what to expect of the story, but I have wanted to try some New Adult Fantasy, fantasy that was a bit darker, and a bit sexier, and this one sure delivered. This one was a Hanzel and Gredal retelling with a cursed town, werewolves, and a forest haunted by a man eating witch. No Gingerbread House here.

Pros:
Very dark set up. The Shrike is a witch who is picking off men and boys in the small village of Krume. She ki
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
I received an ARC of The Shrike and The Shadows from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Men have gone missing before.

Hans and Greta, two outcast o
Lili
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shrike & the Shadows was given to me as an eArc by Netgalley in exchange of an honest opinion.

Have you ever heard of the Hansel and Gretel story? Of the evil witch that eats children? Well this book is not the typical retelling that I’m used to reading of the aforementioned fairytale. I was completely shocked to have read adult content in a retelling (I’m just not used to it). This book is completely dark and twisted. Perfect for this spooky season.

I’m giving it 3.5 stars. It wasn’t that ba
T.B. Caine
Thank you to Netgalley for giving me a copy to review!

4.5 rounded up to 5.

Dark fantasy retelling of Hansel & Gretel, lots of adult content so this is not a YA book! (I'd personally count it as New Adult but idk how Parliament House would categorize it.)

My only complaint is that the ending felt a bit too sudden for me and that there isn't really a resolution. Yeah it is a series, but I would have liked even a minor resolution and not have it so open ended.

For a book with a monster that kills
A more grown up telling of the story of Hansel and Gretel, with a dash of Red Riding Hood mixed in. I really enjoyed the more adult theme of the book, the Shrike is much scarier with a tree of death than a witch with a house of candy! I also appreciated how evil she truly is for no real rhyme or reason, just because she can and wants to. On the flipside of that I wish that there had been a better explanation as to where the evil itself came from, as we learn more about her history its obvious th ...more
Sara
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest. If you told me a week ago that I would absolutely adore a Hansel and Gretel retelling, I would probably laugh awkwardly and nod along just to please you. Then I would go on my way, trying to forget we ever met. Now the joke's on me.
This book was outstanding! It's a fast-paced dark retelling that keeps you glued to the page. It's a bewitching page-turner, not letting you escape until the Shrike doesn't have your heart. In its goriness and creepy illusions, it's up there with
Heather
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a Hansel and Gretel retelling, it had it all the witch, the siblings, and the scary woods but it all came with a twist. The authors did a good job at retelling this classic story. I kind of hope there is going to be a second book, since the ending didn't feel finished.
Joanna Bennett
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Retellings are an interesting thing. I love that authors can take an older idea and create it into something new. It’s a remarkable thing. I will say that not many retellings have really impressed me. This one is based around Hansel and Gretal. I have never read one for them before so I was very intrigued. There were things I liked about this book but I also had issues too.

One of the things I liked was how different the retelling was. I wasn’t sure what to expect before reading but it did leave
Kimberly (novelhaus)
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
First of all, thank you to NetGalley, Xpresso Book Tours, and The Parliament House for the e-arc to review!

Hans and Greta are two outcast orphans living in Krume, a village on the outskirts of a haunted wood plagued by a witch. The witch is known as the Shrike, and she terrorizes the villagers by taking the men and leaving their hearts as a bloody token of her visit. When Hans and Greta are soon met with accusations of being witches themselves and are forced to enter the wood the Shrike calls ho
Sasha
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trigger warning: sexual assault

I love fairy tale retellings. I especially enjoy them when they add an entirely new dimension to the story, as Chantal Gadoury did in The Shrike & the Shadows. This is a dark Hansel and Gretel retelling, but it really only keeps the bare bones of the original tale: the siblings, the woods, the witch. It's recognizable, but not trite or overdone, nor does it rely on the tropes of the original children's story.

I definitely got a Salem Witch Trials vibe from the begin
Ari
Sep 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 31%

This novel seemed to have all the qualities that draw me to read a work of fiction: eerie setting, close bond between two leads, a worthy antagonist. But...I have to put it down unfinished and pick up something else. The book thus far, in one word, boring. I'm not at all drawn by the leads—I find Hans to be selfish and Greta to be enabling—I don't feel a sense of any impending doom even after having met the Shrike and seeing what she can do (though she had potential), and I'm just not
Jessica Landberg
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A dark re-telling of Hansel and Gretel, where the Shrike really scared me! The authors managed well to pass on the fear and horror the twins had to endure.

Unfortunatly I don't like Hans at all... He's often cruel towards Greta, and while she insists that it's the woods and the Shrike that's affecting him, I think that he's unsympathetic from the beginning (the way he views women...). I really didn't care what would happen to Hans and I grew tired of Greta's constant caretaking and excuses for h
Erica Farner
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shrike and the Shadows is a brilliant retelling that takes the familiar, flips it on its head, and cranks it up to one thousand. Right from the start, readers are sucked in with the complex characters and high stakes, and it never stops the whole way through--with twists and turns, mysterious back stories, spine-tingling thrills, and a spooky atmosphere, it's got something for everyone.

I had the pleasure of serving as the editor for this book, and I genuinely think it may be one of my favor
Shayne Leighton
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. A stunning collaboration by two extremely talented novelists. Shrike & the Shadows is the perfect balance of horror and fantasy that fans of darker spec fiction will absolutely love. The world-building is lush with dynamic characters readers will fall in love with. Not to mention, visions of the Shrike will totally keep you up at night.

I love my fantasy novels when they're moody, and this fits the bill!
T ❄
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m very intrigued by this. Dark fairytale retellings that make me feel like I’m in the middle of a terrifying enchanted forest are the BEST. I can’t wait to pick this up, and the cover is beautiful too.
Jules
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this dark and enchanting retelling had me on the edge of my seat!! this is a Hansel and Gretel retelling escalated to 100 and is wickedly beautiful! a must read if you are a fan of books like to kill a kingdom and a curse so dark and lonely. 5/5 stars absolutely!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Adding Second Author 11 25 Aug 12, 2019 11:46AM

• The Weaver (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Redpoint Crux
  • The Hollow Gods (The Chaos Cycle Duology, #1)
  • Disenchanted (Disenchanted, #1)
  • Crowned A Traitor (A Hellish Fairytale, #1)
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Glass Magician
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Mayhem
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass (The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass, #1)
  • Coral
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Lyrics & Curses (Cursed Hearts, #1)
  • Every Reason We Shouldn't (Every Reason We Shouldn't, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
Chantal Gadoury is an Amazon Best Selling Author who is originally from the countryside of Muncy, PA. Chantal likes anything Disney, plays a mean game of Disney trivia, enjoys painting and has a interest in British History. Chantal first started writing stories at the age of seven and continues that love of writing today. As a recent college graduate from Susquehanna University, with a degree in C ...more