Start by marking “Unverified” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  201 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Two strangers caught in one crazy lie—with everything to lose.

Matthew Milles-Lade, a rich kid whose trust fund is suddenly in question, and Margo Valentine Melon, a writer whose career fizzled before it sparked, are two twenty-something strangers stuck living at home, failing at figuring out their lives.

When they each come across a real estate listing for a palatial (and
Published June 15th 2019 by All Moxie Ink

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 15, 2019
    Win some romantic fun just in time for Valentine's Day (or Galentine's Day, ladies!)... here's your next fun, modern romance.

Matthew Milles-Lade, a

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 2572 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 14 - Feb 26, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Unverified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unverified

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Unverified
    Tracy  C
    Cute premise but a little too much going on for me. The romance wasn't as central as I would have liked but the were some really great humorous parts. I was a bit confused at the second part of the epilogue, though.....
    Aurialis
    Note - I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a full on drama-fest. It had jealousy, angst, lust, success, failure, anger, and everything in between. It was nicely written and though it was not a non-stop read, it was quite engaging.

What I liked about this book:

1. The theme of finding yourself.

2. The happy ending. (I am sucker for those)

3. The problems faced while becoming an adult.

4. Some humor that was introduced. (Not enough, in my opinion)

What I
    Kimberley
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Do not start this book until you know you will have several uninterrupted hours to finish it. It’s that good! Margo and Matt will steal your hearts from the first page. So will Kirby and Chelsea. And I dare you not to laugh at the incomparable Rita! I laughed so hard during parts of this book that my sides ached.

This book has the makings of a perfect RomCom movie... endearing characters that feel so real you want to know them in person, heartwarming emotion, the struggles of “adulting” and
    Julieschreiner
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Need. Great summer beach read?!? This is it! I literally could not put this book down for 2 days straight! Crossing my fingers and toes it gets made into a movie
    Fazila's Book Review Corner
    FBRC REVIEW :

DISCLAIMER : I received an ARC( advance review copy) of this book for free from NetGalley, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. Thank you, NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC of this book.

Unverified is a story for all those who enjoy social media and keenly follow the influencers. I enjoyed this book and finished it in a day. I loved everything about the plot and the idea of social media stardom is what made me want to check this book out. The book is about Matt and Margo
    Isha Coleman
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Funny, flirty, fabulous. Unverified proved my intro to a well kept secret. Kristin Giese rocked my heart with her sense of humor and her irresistible characters. Matthew and Margo make over the top into an unforgettable ride. When two young people find themselves facing adulthood is when the fun really begins. Giese and company remind hearts it's okay to find a reason to laugh. Even in the hard moments.
    MaríaLuisa
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book was such a fun read! Even though the beginning felt a bit disconcerting to me because it kept jumping from Margo's situation to Matt's offering us background information about them and some of the other characters surrounding them in order to set the stage for what was to come, it still kept me interested, and once those two cross paths and their words collided I was completely hooked. Their chemistry was palpable from the moment they meet and I really enjoyed their repartee. I love ...more
    Luanna
    Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Writing funny is hard. Kristin Giese, you made it look easy, a brilliant beginning to a career as a novelist.

Margo and Matt, from the first chapters to their meet cute, this was going to be one heck of a ride. Their subtle romance was so charming and even though the concept was outlandish, I could totally see it happen on real life. Both characters were developed individually and that made their pairing much more relatable. The banter between the effortless and easy to read.

All the side
    Vanessa
    **FULL REVIEW**

Wow. What a fabulous book! I chose to read this while away on vacation and could not put it down.

I laughed, swooned, and fell head over heels for @MattlovesMargo in this light-hearted, but emotionally charged rom-com.

All of the players in the game, the up-to-date feel with an abundance of social media presence...I kept turning pages and shushing family members so I could fully appreciate all this story had to offer.

Honestly, I will probably read it again...and that is saying
    Janet
    Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Kristin Giese managed to capture my attention and keep me reading straight through with UnVerified. The characters of Matt and Margo take quite the journey in this book and I'm glad I was along for the trip. I think that Ms Giese has a definite talent for writing thre dimensional characters with really clear voices. I appreciated that Matt and Margo had flaws and foibles and that I ended up rooting for them in spite of their shortcomings. Of course the dialogue is crisp and witty, and the ...more
    Jessica Morales-Lafaille
    This was my first read by this author. It started off very slow and that funny. I was hoping it will get better so I kept reading. About half way it got better and I did find myself laughing out loud.

It was clear to me that Matt had feelings for Margo. Matt always had to protect his heart because it was broken by his dad and his mother passing.
    Fly Girl Wickedcoolflight blogger
    I finished this book about a week ago, but am still having trouble articulating the positive and negatives of it. I give it a 4 of 5, but only because the plot was excellent. There were several things to turn me off of Kristin’s writing though. I’ll discuss that later after I get to the best part.

The plot for this book was excellent and I think will resonate with a lot of young adults (Millenials and Gen-Z) right now, as many are still living the dream in their parents basement. That is sort of
    Marti M
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: read-in-2020
    I wanna thank the author and publicist for a free copy of this book, all opinions are my own!

Summary:
    Matthew Milles-Lade, a rich kid whose trust fund is suddenly in question, and Margo Valentine Melon, a writer whose career fizzled before it sparked, are two twenty-something strangers stuck living at home, trying to figure out their lives. When they each come across a real estate listing for a palatial (and significantly underpriced) guest house in one of LA’s toniest neighborhoods, their
    Cyndy
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    i Love when I can’t put a book down and it does not happen often. Loved Matt and Margo, hope there is a sequel.
    A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
    I'm very torn with this story. The premise of the story was great, and I liked the two characters working together. However, what I didn't like was the weird tangents the author would take you on that had NO bearing on the story whatsoever. It was like every character that was introduced needed a backstory, when it was really necessary. I'd say the best part of this book was the last 25% because that's when things started to really make sense and the characters finally came full circle.

Reviewed
    Rita Wray
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I loved this book. I loved Matt and Margo, they are such a cute couple. The story was great but I wanted to read more and felt it ended suddenly. I want to know what happens next.
    Barbara
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: roommates, romcom
    [ARC provided by All Moxie Ink via NetGalley] This book is what happens when you have a good idea, you know how to write, but you have no editor and a very rough idea about plotting. Beware, major spoilers ahead.

The central premise of Unverified is farfetched, but pretty much what straight romance is usually about: you get a girl and a boy in forced closed quarters, and they fall in love. However, the first big problem this book has is that, after hinting at the premise in the prologue, the
    Khristina
    Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    How do you write a book that makes me stay up past my bedtime? You make the characters sympathetic and the scenery gorgeous. A lot of contemporary romance novels only focus on the main two people getting together. Especially once it is introduced but this was treated as a subplot which was very refreshing. I found myself looking forward to their interactions rather than being sick of it being shoved down my throat.

It feels like this was a cautionary tale about ineffective communication. There
    Jenn
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Oh, I so loved Unverified: A Novel! It was so much campy 80's-90's fabulousness references in a millennial shell. Just so great.

It starts a bit slowly, which is good because you build into the story having experienced who they are when they meet. It doesn't just start at a random meet cute.

Oy, the characters and the jokes. I really was crying laughing at certain points (the comment about using rice grains to write a letter... it took me a few moments to be able to read my book again)
    Samantha Bilodeau
    I hesitate to write this, since it seems everyone else loved this. It just really didn't work for me though.

There were countless issues with this, but, at first, it was fun so I just kept going. But it was very slow, with Margo and Matt not even meeting until 1/3 of the way through. There were a lot of weird adverbs used that didn't fit the implied tone, and the order of storytelling felt really unplanned. It was as though this was posted live and so the story wasn't editable... ?

This also felt
    Meghan
    Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library
    This book was received as an ARC from all moxie ink - Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I did not know what to expect with this book thinking that it will be a drama since the situation is similar to catfishing but this actually ended up as a romantic comedy like book that ended up being quite upbeat and very whimsical that it was really enjoyable. It was quite
    Katarina
    Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Finished reading about 5 minutes ago, and still still basking in the warm fuzzy feeling this book left in me. I’d say this is the best book I’ve read this year, maybe even in two years.
    It kept me up all night. Not because the suspense was killing me, and i just had to know what happens, but simply because I enjoyed reading this book so much, I didn’t want to put it down and i didn’t want it to end.
    I’m so hoping there will be a sequel. The last couple of pages made me think that maybe there was,
    Michelle
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You know you’ve loved a book when the first thing you do upon finishing, is check which other books the author has written. In this case, I was both equally impressed and saddened to find that this is the debut novel from Kristin Giese, I’m holding out hope for a sequel though!

It’s rare that I give a book 5 stars but what can I say.. I just loved this book! It has the perfect mix of romance, humour (hello Rita!) and pop culture with a little seriousness thrown in there for good measure.

I
    Chelsea

I really enjoyed the characters and the jokes. I really was crying laughing at certain points - Rita was so crazy, and all the eccentricities of her landlord. It was just so much fun to read. Even the details of her sister's business, the photoshoot, and even the Woman Dreamteam for the photo shoot was just outlandish and awesome. I
    Dilushani Jayalath
    I swear when I started this I literally disliked everything happening in it. A bunch of wealthy kids living their lives being influencers? It’s a recipe with all the ingredients I hate but surprisingly it did give a tasty end.

The characters over the pages became impossibly loveable and cute and I was rooting for Matt and Margo all the way.
    Is it weird to say that Rita was one of my favorites? And I’m dying to see this as a movie cuz it would be a hoot. Hopefully a network like Netflix can pick
    Dora Okeyo
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is the kind of book that you don't put down once you start reading it. Well, that's if you love a romantic comedy or generally if you love characters who are witty and always find a way to make things work. Margo is down on her luck, but she's smart and knows more about marketing than her sister Kirby. So, she gets a chance to work for her sister until she gets back up on her feet- but somewhere along the way, she runs into Matt when they're looking for an apartment.
    What happens when you
    Beth
    I got this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Netgalley and publisher!

I did enjoy reading this book, but if there are people that don't like the slow burn romances, this is definitely not for you. It took a while for them to meet, but when they do, it was 100% adorable the rest of the way through.

And the humor! This book was laugh out loud hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, the side characters, and all the dialogue.

I liked this book, didn't love it, but I
    Tara
    Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    SPOILER ALERT - Unverified does what an entertaining book should, take you out of your stressful life, distract you for all of the right reasons and leave you wanting more. I can't wait to see the characters brought to life on the big screen where they will shine amidst the dark, violent, gloom and doom stories that just season the negative culture of our current world situation. Yes, there is an audience for those kinds of stories but honestly, enough is enough! Bring back the Rom-Com, the ...more
    Farah
    Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If you want to read a brilliant rom com that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy, you HAVE to pick this one. And make sure you have time to read it all because it is very hard to put down!

Matt and Margo both arrive to view a rental listing at the same time. When the owner says she’s always wanted to rent the place out to a couple, the two pretend they are together purely to get themselves a place to stay.

Things escalate from there pretty quickly but not in the usual love story way. I won’t
    Krista
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Man was I glad I picked up this book.Moments of blinding reality interspersed with hilarity kept me turning the pages, unable to put it down.

Matt is born with a silver spoon in his mouth. With no direction, Matt just spends money and parties. Fed up, his father cuts him off. Watching Matt struggle to finally do something with himself was endearing.

Margo failed once and is afraid to take major risks now but she is in a funk. But now, she is ready to make strides.

Miscommunications abound in every
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    Goodreads Librari...: Search Issues - Unverified by Kristin Giese 2 254 Feb 11, 2020 10:24AM

• Then I Met You
    • When Polly Met Olly
    • Shortcake
    • A Question of Us
    • The Accidental Life Swap
    • Whisked Away (Paradise Bay #2)
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • Fake Date (Dating, #2)
    • Love Lettering
    • You Deserve Each Other
    • It's Not PMS, It's You
    • Must Love Babies (Must Love Babies #1)
    • The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)
    • Been There, Married That: A Novel
    Kristin Giese, author of Unverified, is a talent manager, brand developer, and executive producer who began her career building the entirety of the Nate Berkus brand, amongst other talent as well as partnering with the likes of The Oprah Winfrey Show, OWN, Sony, Target, TLC, NBC, P&G, GMC, and so many more. Her love for estate jewelry is only outmatched by her commitment to vintage kimonos and ...more