Start by marking “Groundties (Netwalkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Groundties (Netwalkers, #1)

Groundties

('NetWalkers #1)

When the database on which human society depends begins mysteriously to implode, the finger of causality points directly to HuteNamid, an idyllic planet on the very edge of human-occupied space.

The man pointing the finger is Stephen Ridenour, a young computer genius with a knife's edge hold on his sanity. The man targeted is Wesley Smith, another computer genius with the k
Published October 1st 1991 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Groundties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groundties

Start your review of Groundties (Netwalkers, #1)
Lazette
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ground Ties by Jane Fancher

(Amazon Kindle Edition)

The first time I read GroundTies (when it was brand new) I was immediately entranced by the storyline and delighted by the characters. That hasn't changed in the latest reading. Now, in the new ebook edition (which seems somehow appropriate to the story), the tale comes alive again, from Admiral Loren Cantrell's interrupted dinner through the intricacies of the HuteNamid world and the problems found there.

Jane Fancher's attention to detail makes
Haldoor42
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Took me a while to get into this; a lot of the terminology seemed to assume you already knew some of them, but once I got going, I was quite eager to find out what happened. Unfortunately, it's the first of a trilogy and some things were left to find out more in the next book. I'm not against trilogies, and I do have the other two books to read, but it would have been nice to feel a little resolution at the end of the first book.
Debora Geary
I wanted to like it. Some of the on-planet stuff was very cool, but too much interplanetary politics backstory. My biggest complaint is the ending, though - it's one of those books that ends with 1,000 threads left hanging, that will be dealt with sometime the rest of the series, I assume. And I'm not sure I'm attached enough to the story to keep reading.
Teri Dluznieski
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really like the blend of technology, politics and sci-fi. I am also intrigued by the subtle hint of something esoteric that might lurk beneath the surface. Something none of the cerebral characters in the book entertain as a possible player in a very large and far-reaching landscape.
Teresa Carrigan
Science fiction. I enjoyed reading the book but was disappointed at the ending. There wasn't a satisfying resolution; it was more as if the book just paused in the series. Ok, there are more books, but I'd have been a lot happier with a few more loose ends tidied up at the end of this one.
Elaine Dowling
Mar 11, 2011 marked it as to-read
This book was written by a friend of mine. I have the paperback, but she just released it for Kindle on Amazon. $.99!
Lee Schuen
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this series. Not so much scifi as space drama. Everyone wants to know what happened next to Wes and Stephen.
Meryl
I got 20% through this book before I gave up. Illogical, ill-defined world, confusing terms, cardboard characters. Not at all interesting or engaging.
Chas.
Sharon Van Muysen
Feb 24, 2016
Mar 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
On October 24, 1988 in Oklahoma City, OK, at a suggestion from SF author C.J. Cherryh, I began writing. I kept writing because two hours after starting, I had to find out what happened. A little over a year later, I was the startled owner of a three book contract based on the rough draft of my first novel.

I've been writing ever since.

What appeals to me about writing in general is the constant chal

'NetWalkers (3 books)
  • Uplink (Netwalkers, #2)
  • Harmonies of the 'Net (Netwalkers, #3)

News & Interviews