Start by marking “Behind the Stick (Speakeasy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Stick (Speakeasy, #3)

Behind the Stick

(The Speakeasy #3)

Love, served behind the stick.

Kyle McKee lives a charmed life. He co-owns Under, an uptown speakeasy, where he is chief mixologist. Friends poke fun at Kyle’s tiny one-bed apartment in Chelsea, but they’re the best support system a man could ask for. Unfortunately, Kyle’s lackluster love life has led him to take a break from dating.

Harlem resident Luka Clarke is a lieutena
ebook, 1st edition, 370 pages
Published August 20th 2019 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Stick

Start your review of Behind the Stick (Speakeasy, #3)
True Loveislovereview
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
Kyle and Luka

Fabulous read, it had a very engaging way of writing. My heart was instantly involved with Kyle and Luka.

Kyle and his best friend Jesse are owners of speakeasy ‘Under’. After being saved, by firefighter Luka, while trapped in a fire Kyle and Luka start something. Meeting all Kyle’s close friends is amazing for Luka especially Jesse and Cam. Kyle has a special relationship with Jesse and Cam with threesomes at times.
Kyle, as easygoing as a human being can be, can’t seem to conquer Lu
Joyfully Jay
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Behind the Stick continues the Speakeasy series and I am a fan of this series, the setting, and the characters. This book is best read in order as Jesse and Cam, from the second book, Extra Dirty, are visible and important characters here. All of the men, including Carter and Riley from the previous Tidal series, are present and the series is well layered and I certainly appreciated and enjoyed having read about all of the connections.

The men are open with each ot
ReadingAllNite
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
After Jesse made things more permanent with Cam, I’ve been waiting to see what was planned for Kyle and had the authors told me, I might have taken Kyle away for protective custody! A heavier storyline for him emerges, starting with Kyle meeting Luka by almost dying in a fire and that isn’t the last obstacle. Race does play a background role with Luka being bi-racial African American and bisexual and Kyle is sooo white (as some friends have said to me:) ). It causes some friction within Luka’s p ...more
Kirstin
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I devoured this story. I have really enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one had my heart in a vice and didn't let go until the end.

Kyle McKee is part owner and mixologist of Under, the speakeasy that's the focal point of the series. He's sweet and flirty, but he wears his heart on his sleeve. While he's not opposed to sharing in the bedroom, he's more of a one man kind of guy.

When he's caught in a fire and rescued by dashing fireman Luka Clarke, he feels like Luka is
Pates
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! From the first scenes Kyle appeared in the book Calm (K. & Brigham’s Tidal series) I knew I liked him. Then they started the Speakeasy spinoff series, during With a Twist we get to know him a bit more. But my adoration grew for him in Extra Dirty and by the end of it I was all “I need his book as soon as possible!” I’m so happy we are here.

Kyle is kind, caring, and loving but you really see how much within these pages. Learning more about his history and seeing how it shaped him into
Stephanie Carvalho
Another great book, a perfect addition to the Speakeasy series. Since Extra Dirty I was really excited to read Kyle's story: he's one of those characters that from the very first line makes you fall in love with him. Just like with “With a Stick” and “Extra Dirty” I’m amazed by how easy the story flows, making the reader feel like part of the story - I dare even to say part of the Under Crew! And that’s a trademark on all the other books by the authors, and I’m glad that their unique style remai ...more
Elaine
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Story

I enjoyed reading this story.I liked the characters, and it had a great storyline. I can't get enough of this series.
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series, but I must admit my first. I will be going back and catching up on the other two romances, as even though I know the outcome, I have little doubt the journey was an adventure worth reading! I did not feel a lack of understanding for having read this first.

In a brilliant move this book combines the NY world of sexy bar owner with a penchant for designing clever cocktails, and a firef
Anna Torres
Love is Love!

What I like about K and Brigham’s books are the unconventional topics told within. And although it is unconventional, it nevertheless shows us the realism of what is happening in the story.

Just like the previous installments in the series, Behind the Stuck discusses prejudiced opinions about race, pairings/couplings, relationships, among others. What Kyle and Luca have is not unusual, interracial relationships are very common nowadays. Sad to say though that bigotry and close-minded
Anabela.M.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When these two authors put their minds together, the results are spectacular!

Behind The Stick is my favorite of the three in the Speakeasy series. Luka and Kyle's story is  achingly beautiful and I admit that at some point I hated how rough they had it,that they had to experience so much hardship and pain. I hoped so much for their healing and their happiness.

I actually have to thank the author for the workout they've given my heart with this book. I can avoid going to the gym and instead read
Kathryn Manzella
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Behind the Stick is the third book in The Speakeasy series by K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn. This is a beautiful and emotional story in my opinion. There are some fun and funny scenes for sure, but there are some scenes that really had me feeling those feels. Oh... and the steam is hot in here too.

Kyle and Luka are great characters and I felt they were a perfect fit for each other. Love is a journey of struggles and strengths and these two are showing they can tread that terrain well togethe
Joscelyn Smith
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this third installment in the Speakeasy series. Kyle and Luka were such lovable characters, well-written and fully developed, their journey filled with so much visceral emotions.

Seeing them have to battle hate and push-back from Luka's family had my heart hurting, it made their journey that much harder. I loved every minute of their journey to their happy ending because it made all the struggle and pain worth the effort.

*I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this
Joni
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My emotions was all over the place. At one time I even cried. I just love Luka and Kyle! Luka is bisexual, biracial, fireman. Kyle is a gay, white, speakeasy owner. There are some ups and downs in this relationship. A very bad traumatic event and a big miscommunication that almost ends the relationship. I really felt emotions that Luka and Kyle where having.

Patricia Nelson
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful, fantastic, powerful, grab-you-by-the-feels, amazing, lovely, engaging, smoking hot, poignant, and totally awesome story. I fell in love with both Kyle and Luka, and I must admit that I was severely tempted to open up a major can of whupass on certain characters. I was pulled in from the very first page, and I would DEFINITELY recommend getting this marvelous gem ASAP!

Allison
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, beta
I beta read this a few months ago, and fell in love with the characters. Some absolutely amazing friendships throughout the series round out my enjoyment.
Karolina Cebula
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4,5 stars*

Kyle McKee is a co-owner of the speakeasy bar Under and a workaholic who decides to give up dating after many failed relationships. However, his resolution loses its point when in a life-threatening situation he meets an attractive firefighter, with whom he flirted once when they met for the first time. It quickly turns out that Luka Clarke fully reciprocates Kyle's interest. As a result, they go on some really successful dates and, consequently, start dating. Unfortunately, when thei
Charlotte
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kyle McKee, Co-owner of "Under" the speakeasy is one of the central characters in the third installment of this series. Kyle owns the club with Jesse who was the focus of book two. Jesse and Kyle have a solid friendship and business partnership and there is a sexual component to their relationship as well. But things have slowed down with Jess and Kyle since Jesse began dating Cam... and then Kyle decided to swear off dating. Then he met Luka.

Luka is a firefighter and pulls Kyle out of a fire at
Devoted❤️Reader
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Home

I really want Kyle to mix me one of his drinks and I’d like to see Luka in his gear. These two are so hot together and they make me happy. “Good thing you’re worth fighting for.” Kyle and Luka had an amazing journey to find each other, fall in love and overcome fears. They showed me what it means to fight for what you want and to fight for who you love, even when that means you have to fight yourself. I admire them so much and am so happy they found their way home.
Janet Hunt
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Kyle from “Extra Dirty” and am glad he got his story. Luca is a firefighter and Kyle is a mixologist and co-owner of ‘Under’. They have a great relationship. But of course, something has to go wrong! Watching them handle everything was a little heart wrenching for me but hey came out strong. I really loved the story!!
I am voluntarily leaving a review form an ARC that I received. My reviews are solely based on my thoughts and opinions
Emilee
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great story! This is the third book in the series and I loved that it was about Kyle.

Kyle and Luke's story was so great. It wasn't easy for these two characters, but I loved how they were able to overcome these obstacles to find their happy ending.
Heather
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can I just start by saying that this series just gets better and better! I love Kyle and his ingenuity behind the stick(behind the bar for those of us not in the know when it comes to bartending lingo😉), he has been one of my favorite secondary characters from way back in the Tidal duology when we first met him and now that he finally got his own story he is even more lovable and full of WOW-ness!

Let's talk Luka now. Fireman . . . need I say more😉😉. He has an amazingly supportive family with the
Jules Lovestoread
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars!

Wow. I am completely loving this series by authors K Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn. I have been waiting for Kyle’s story ever since finishing Extra Dirty earlier this year, and Coles and Vaugh did not disappoint. Behind the Stick was every bit as fantastic as I hoped it would be. Even better in fact! The third book in the Speakeasy series takes us back to the neighborhoods of New York, and back into the lives of the Speakeasy Crew. I love the way the authors bring the different area
Nat Kennedy
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Luka is a hot, bulky, sweet guy who saves people’s lives for a living. He’s a bit of a mamma’s boy, but his respect for his mother his part of his charm. He doesn’t want to disappoint her, but feels horribly disappointed in the fact that his mother has issues with her son dating a white man.

Kyle is a bartender who has an on again off again booty call with his business partner/ex and his boyfriend. He’s got a bother he’s really close to, is very proud of his business, and is well put together.

Bot
Amy Dufera
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Already a fan of K Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn, and their Speakeasy series, I was thrilled to be able to read Behind the Stick. The third book in this series, it has all the charm of books 1 & 2.

Kyle's been hooking up with Jesse and Cam. Then he meets Luca after the handsome firefighter saves his life. What follows is a story full of mystery, and romance. And when the lines blur between Kyle and Jesse, they discover that their chemistry is explosive.

From the start, I fell for these two men and
Alexleo
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful addition to the Speakeasy Series. Finally you will read Kyle's story, a story with a lot of heat, some struggle against outside forces and family, but a well deserved HEA for a good man, a good friend and an incredible barista. Cocktails are a character of their own in this story and you will also have the opportunity once more to emerge into the lively world of open relationships, strong friendships and sweet love that characterize all the interactions among the men of Under, a circ ...more
Belinda Zamora
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Speakeasy series and per usual, the authors have knocked it out of the park.
We've met Kyle before in his previous interactions with other characters.
He's met Luka, a firefighter, in a nearby burger joint and again in a horrible event, a fire at the same place.
Kyle is fighting demons from his past and tends to be very insular, self-sufficent and stubborn.
Luka is nursing wounds from a previous relationship and the fallout from his family's response, specifically his m
Elaine Gray
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Behind the Stick is a great addition to the Speakeasy series. We have Kyle and Luca, both single successful men in their line of work. Kyle is a mixologist and Luca is a firefighter. The attraction for each other is seen from the very beginning and it's shown throughout the book. Luca comes from a family that is very protective of him because of his past relationship and Kyle is a very smart, loveable man with a younger brother and his Speakeasy family. The two men have a great relationship from ...more
AL
Shelves: arc_reads
If you are looking for an emotional rollercoaster with two amazing men at the center, you’re in for a treat. The authors, as usual, did an awesome job presenting a story of two great MCs trying to figure it out in the big world.
I had a total soft spot for Kyle since forever so I may be biased, but I’d say this part of the series is the best yet! All the ot twists and feelings make for an incredibly immersive book. The level of insight we get into the emotions and the amount of angst is just perf
Maude
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've debated how to review this book. This is the first book of this series that I've read and have read other stories by these authors. I believe that if I had read the previous two books I would have had a better reaction to this story. Please don't get me wrong, the authors wrote an amazing story with fully fleshed out characters. I was enjoying the story up until a scene threw me out of the story. After that point it was hard for me to reconcile the characters to that scene. For me personall ...more
Pat
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I cannot get enough of these guys they all have such a story to tell ...
These authors can write a consuming book and I just fall into the pages and devour every word.
This book is no exception , Kyle and Luca , two beautiful men , their love is open then a disaster occurs , it could be a cross roads for them or can they make it work?
Such a wonderful , captivating read with beautiful MC's .
This whole series is brilliant just brilliant ... I always want more of these ...
So very much more than

• Secret Admirer
  • Spotlight (Famous #2)
  • Bully & Exit (The Midwest Series, #1)
  • The King and Jai (Royal & Reckless #1)
  • Gus (Bar 28 #1)
  • Messy Ink (Get Ink'd #2)
  • Change of Plans (Crushing #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS #2)
  • Off-Balance (Peachtree, #1)
  • Suddenly Daddy (Close Quarters #1)
  • Jonah's Compass (Delta Force: Team Panther #1)
  • His First Touch
  • Fixer-Upper (Vale Valley Season 3 #15)
  • First Priority (Priorities, #1)
  • Malachi (Whitfell Brothers #2)
  • In This Bed of Snowflakes We Lie
  • Hard Hart (Hart's Bay #1)
  • Land of Enchantment
K. Evan Coles is a mother and tech pirate by day and a writer by night. She is a dreamer who, with a little hard work and a lot of good coffee, coaxes words out of her head and onto paper.

K. lives in the northeast United States, where she complains bitterly about the winters, but truly loves the region and its diverse, tenacious and deceptively compassionate people. You’ll usually find K. nerding

The Speakeasy (4 books)
  • With a Twist (The Speakeasy, #1)
  • Extra Dirty (The Speakeasy, #2)
  • Straight Up (The Speakeasy, #4)