Start by marking “The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)

The Life That Mattered

(Life #1)

Sex isn’t love.
Love isn’t sex.
And friendship is neither.

The son of a French Olympic skier and a Malaysian fashion designer, Ronin Alexander has lived the life of a nomad, traveling the world to find his next adventure.

Life takes a dramatic turn when he meets Evelyn, a beautiful scientist who owns a bath shop in Aspen, Colorado. They defy all the rules of relationships,
Published February 6th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Life That Mattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life That Mattered

Start your review of The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)
Dilek VT
Jan 20, 2020 marked it as lost-interest
Down below, you will see that I was undecided and hesitant about this duet at first.

Now, thanks to the information that came from my awesome friends Wil, Ceara, Mel and Hülya, I have made my mind up.

Here is the safety information about these books.

There is something akin to a threesome in Book 1 and also there is cheating in Book 2.

(view spoiler)
Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger
5 SNOWY STARS
ezgif-com-video-to-gif
I'll start from the end – I'M IN LOVE!!!

This story had everything that made me fell in love with reading: loads of romance, humor, mystery, sexy chemistry and one PERFECT hero!
But…
In the first chapters, something happened that I didn't like. I didn't understand what was it's purpose to the story… so I took a break. I even considered to stop reading. After a few days, I decided to try again. DAMN, I should've trusted Jewel because then...
My life was ruined.
I'm not kidding.

I
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've treasured each and every story from Jewel, but this story has reached up and touched the sky for me. It should be a hard act to follow.........for any other author.
But jewel will keep raising the sky it seems, like a personal challenge she sets for herself with every novel. She's competing with herself story after story
As always, Her prose is vibrant and lively. It billows and rumbles, pregnant with possibilities and jewel is a sailor and explorer. Moving from one trope to another,
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****4.5 STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

Evelyn made me feel more vulnerable than I ever thought humanly possible. She was the beginning and the end, the mother of my children, the keeper of my heart, the reason my lungs took breaths, my absolute favorite…everything. Wanting her felt like an honor. Needing her felt like a failure.

Leave it to Jewel E Ann to write another spell-binding and captivating story. The prologue left me with a feeling of unease that stayed with me throughout
Malene
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I’ve run a marathon after finishing The Life That Mattered. Out of breath and high on adrenaline. Jewel E. Ann delivers the good stuff. The angst, the suspense and the romance.
The main characters are Evelyn and Ronin. Evelyn is best friends with Graham and Lila who’s getting married. That’s all I’m going to give away cause I don’t want to spoil anything.

What I loved about TLTM was the different dynamics between these couples. Evelyn shares a lot of history with Graham and Lila
Bibi
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gaaaaaaaaah, why would you cliff hang like that?!

Should the sequel fail to drop in 12 days, someone better tell Jewel Ann that I'll just burst into tears. Yep

photo 1bfcc3db-9f72-44b4-935d-a29db3b74e13_zpsco7nqjgv.png
Wendy
4,5

I just knew going into this story, that it was gonna wreck me. This amazing author has shown me her "shock-factor" abilities before so, I figured I was prepared for anything... I was wrong though, I was not prepared for this story and I was definitely not prepared for that cliffhanger!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=not prepared gif

Now, I am going to keep my review as vague as possible, because this story should be read with as little spoilers as possible. Just jump in blind ... you won't be sorry.

All I can say is that this isn't your
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

That end! Ugh I need 2nd book ASAP! :(

*ARC kindly provided by author in exchange for an honest review.

The Life that Mattered (1st book)
Releasing February 6th

-Cover Revealed-

BLURB:

Sex isn’t love.
Love isn’t sex.
And friendship is neither.

The Life Duet, an all-new mind-bending and romantic duet from Jewel E. Ann is coming February 6th, and we have the gorgeous covers!

The Life that Mattered (1st book)
Releasing February 6th

The son of a French Olympic skier and a Malaysian fashion designer, Ronin
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
FAVORITE

5 STARS

Wow I don't know what to say, I finidhed this one and still thinking about it!This is so different , this is unique, this is like nothing I have read and omg it was so addictive! I loved every minute of it , so many emotions!It was brilliant.

description

I was hooked from the prologue and I was so intrigued. Once I start it I couldn't put it down and now I want more.I went to this one blind and what a ride!It has a little bit of everything. It was romantic , mysterious, a little bit crazy .
The Book Bee
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SIGNED PAPERBACK GIVEAWAY: http://bit.ly/2utkjPI

REVIEW: 5 STARS
"Don't ever tell me what you can show me."

Double edged sword: I never want my JEA recommendation to be lost in a sea of glowing reviews because I want to share with you WHY one of her books did what it did to me and why you should read it. But then, there is obviously a very good reason I will get buried in all those reviews: she is an amazing storyteller full of life and unbelievable love that undoubtedly always makes me think.
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕

20200204_204525.png

There are simply not enough words to describe what this author does to her readers when we experience her stories. There’s this sense of loss because we’ve read those dreadful words “The End" or the flood of emotions and racing heart that we feel when she literally takes us over the edge with her no apologies cliffhanger. As fans and readers, we’re left to pick up the pieces because what we just went through? What our hearts had to endure? Again…. There are no words..

28883620._SY540_.jpg

This story is very different
Jennifer Kyle
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars ...more
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

Evelyn. Ronin.
Lila. Graham.

Those are the four people this duet is about.

Evelyn starts telling us the story. She and Ronin are the main couple. At least I guess they are.
I just got started with the story.

The prologue was six years in the future. Very confusing, sad, weird.

And then we go back a few years. Evelyn tells us how she's been besties with Lila since kindergarten and how Graham joined their circle in college and fell in love with Lila.
After that Evelyn was always their third wheel and
NiCoLeTa E.
***5 "Probably!!!" stars***

IT'S LIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

"Falling in love tomorrow is such a waste of today."

Is it possible for a book to wreck you even from the prologue???
To make you squirm all the damn time and to wait in every turn of the events, the other shoe to drop???
This woman and her writing skills are driving me crazy!!!
I'm craving her stories and I loathed them at the same time... Cause after their endings, i might never be the same again...
This story, right here, wrecked me in a very
Tianna✸loves books✸
Can someone please tell me what the plot is all about ? Blurb is vague. And all the reviews right now are ARC and they are all f*cking sweetshit. I don’t believe them. So please can I get the basic plot from some non arc reviewer? Is there foursome or couple swapping (not my thing) ? Any trigger?

UPDATE -
I got my answer in the comment.
This book is a big NO.
Hats off to you ARC reviewers. You can sell even a broken table.
Zilpha Owens
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to put it out there - I read this story in mere hours. Planted myself in a chair and didn’t move until the last page. I’m not going to pretend I can write any kind of review that will adequately praise what I just finished.

The prologue was ominous. The meet-cute totally sweet and fun. The rest of the story? A thrilling rollercoaster ride!

JEA takes me to places I never dreamed of going and delves into relationships that I want to be a part of no matter the circumstances. She gives me a
Wil Loves Books!
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read!

Another wonderful book by Jewel E. Ann. This was such a well written story. You get swept in from the prologue all the way to the end. And the ending will leave you impatiently waiting for the conclusion!

This at heart is a beautiful love story between two people, Evelyn and Ronin that seem fated from the moment they meet. The story spans a few years and you see how this relationship evolves through good times and bad times. There’s some strong secondary characters woven
Lisa Aiello
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lately it's been taking me days, sometimes weeks, to finish a book, fitting in reading when I can. Oftentimes, I choose to turn off my mind and stare at a 30 minute sitcom I've seen a thousand times, rather than concentrate on a book. This one, however, had me engrossed from the Prologue straight through to the end. I wasn't sure what I was reading. Where was Jewel E. Ann taking me? But you know what? I knew no matter where I ended up, it was going to be one hell of a ride. So, I strapped in and ...more
Lo Bookfrantic
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review-ng

4.5Stars

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Book 1 of 2 in the Life Duet
POV:First Person – Dual

"When forced to choose what really matters, it all became so clear. This moment. The only moment."

Evelyn Taylor never thought she will ever find true love, after giving up on love she focused on her business. As a small business owner she decided to make the best doing what she loves doing, creating soaps, bath bombs, scrubs, etc for her clients. Her family believe in marriage and kids at a
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
“For me, I felt like we were a fact—the sky was blue, water was wet, the wind blew. Ronin and Evelyn just were.”

4,5 “Jewel is evil” stars

This story opens up on a dramatic prologue and ends on an evil cliffhanger! So that’s no wonder that I wrote “Jewel is evil”.

I can hear her sadistic laugh all the way from Colorado to Belgium!

Just say it Jewel: you love torturing your readers!

Because when WE are all left wondering what happens to them, how she will survive AND reconcile this with
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
5 Stars!
(ARC provided by Social Butterfly PR)

photo 00B18AE9-A038-4E17-9240-401802082FA2_zpsjysy3iii.jpg

Evelyn Taylor is a chemist who loves science, and owns a bath shop called Clean Art in Aspen, Colorado where she makes body products. She gets a much needed vacation when she tags along on a business trip to Vancouver with her best friend and her fiancé. While there she crosses paths with a gorgeous man that looks like he should be on a billboard somewhere. Ronin Alexander is the son of a French Olympic skier, and a Malaysian fashion designer. He’s
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-2020
This author, she knows exactly how to suck me in!!! Her writing just captures my attention and I'm all in. Like literally don't put the book down, or else.....

My emotions were on a roll with this book. Hard to explain but if you have read this amazing author before, you know what I am saying. If you haven't read her stories, DO IT!!! You'll definitely be outta breath at times, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, keep going you'll definitely love the cliffy but no worries, book 2 will be out February
Ceara
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Berry ♡ Nice
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 All-Consuming-Stars

"And if you hold out your palm, you'll see that pulsing thing that used to reside in my chest is now sitting quite contentedly in your hand."

Sooooo. After I finished reading this I felt like I had to try and catch my breathe. As if unconsciously I had been holding it and then I couldn't get enough air in me.

And now I'm breathing but I have all these questions. All these feelings. And I'm beyond excited and looking forward to book 2.

I absolutely love Jewel E Ann and her
Deedy Hays
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jewel is a author that I stop reading whatever, it is that I’m reading, to read her latest book. This book was no different. I slowed my roll with this book. My first instinct with her is to get to it, find out what’s going to happen. I took my time because I didn’t want to miss a thing...cue Aerosmith

Jewel’s characters are always complex and she does a superb job of creating their world. You are invested in them and their complexities. Your mind goes on their adventures with them. Her honed
Marissa
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible! The power of Jewel’s writing is you feel every single detail. Every character comes to life and you breathe their love, their pain, their...everything. To say anything outside of Jewel is a phenomenal writer and The Life That Mattered is just another example of this would spoil the perfection of having this story unfold organically for you. Go in blind...go in open and let Jewel work her magic!

Ps. I’m gonna need The Life You Stole like yesterday...this is cruel!!

*ARC
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
There are pros and cons of reading a prologue. Sometimes it can be a great teaser and build anticipation and sometimes it can create a sense of foreboding as you wait for that moment to reveal itself in the story. The prologue for this story gave me all of those feelings and as I read I couldn’t see how it could possibly fit into the beautiful love story building. I couldn’t reconcile what I was reading with what was supposed to be coming. And that is the beauty of this talented author, she is ...more
Amber- Leave Me Alone I'm Reading
This book is absolutely incredible. I love Jewel. I’ve read almost all of her books and I just love the depth and realness to her stories. The Life that Mattered will leave readers questioning their existence. It’s thought-provoking, funny, heartbreaking, and sexy. It has this slow burn suspense that kept me glued to the pages. I am obsessed with Ronin and Evelyn. Their chemistry is like pure magic. I never wanted this book to end, but I knew it would have a crazy cliffy, and that’s okay. I was ...more
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Jewel gets me every time, this book threw me for a loop and rocked my world. So good.

It is no secret that Jewel is one of my favorite authors. In fact, the first books I read by her were Transcend and Epoch. If you were a fan of the Transcend Duet, The Life that Mattered is tight up your alley. A romantic thriller down to the heart of it.

The story is told over a span of years and I immediately fell hard and fast in love with Ronin and the way he and Evie connected. It was instant, but it felt
Kristi
5 Mind Bending Stars!

I’m not gonna recap this love story because you need to go in TOTALLY blind! Suffice it to say I NEEEEEEED book 2 like yesterday

The blurb is spot on but vague af, you really have no idea what ride you are about to embark on so just don’t read that

The prologue will suck you in and almost bring you to tears! I knew when I read it that i was in for a major plot twist. I had ABSOLUTELY.NO. IDEA.

When Evie and Ronin first meet the chemistry is electric! Evelyn is intelligent,
Maryse's Book Blo...: Buddy Read The Life That Mattered by Jewel E. Ann 56 19 19 hours, 1 min ago

• Even If It Hurts
  • Release
  • The Guy on the Left (The Underdogs, #2)
  • Dear Ava
  • Credence
  • The Cruelest Stranger
  • Neat: A Small Town Romance (Becker Brothers, #2)
  • Where the Little Birds Are
  • Before You
  • Landon & Shay: Part Two (L&S Duet, #2)
  • Dirty Girls
  • Dirty Headlines
  • Winter Tales (The Original Sinners, #8.7)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Hearts and Thorns (Magnolia Cove, #3)
  • Inappropriate
  • Where the Little Birds Go
  • Destructive (Combative, #3)
Jewel is a free-spirited romance junkie with a quirky sense of humor. When she's not saving the planet one tree at a time, you can find her role modeling questionable behavior to her three boys, binge-watching Netflix with her husband, and writing mind-bending romance.

Her upcoming release is The Life That Mattered, a romantic-suspense thriller.

Upcoming Projects: The Life You Stole, book two in

Life (2 books)
  • The Life You Stole (Life, #2)