Start by marking “Witch of the Wild Beasts” as Want to Read:
Witch of the Wild Beasts

Witch of the Wild Beasts

When Evalina is imprisoned for witchcraft, will her supernatural bond with animals be her curse or salvation?

In 1854, Evalina Stowe witnesses the murder of her brother by Dr. Dowdrick, an enraged client at the tailors where they work. Desperate to stop him, she rouses a swarm of wasps that sting the doctor while she stabs him with scissors, and then flees. At a subsequent
Published January 29th 2020 by Konjur Road Press

To ask other readers questions about Witch of the Wild Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch of the Wild Beasts

Start your review of Witch of the Wild Beasts
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I really enjoyed this book and the careful approach to magic that the author took. In so many books that have magic, it's often handwavium, making things appear/disappear out of thin air, etc, ignoring the laws of nature.

Here, the author presents a realistic way in which magic can exist in this world (albeit in the 1850's, which the book is set in) The protagonist can't just snap her fingers and animals do whatever she wants. It's more of a working relationship with give and take.

I certainly am
Jackie
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of magic. When a murder is committed, Evalina uses magic to solve the problem. Loved the book.
Mary Yarde
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing

They were my heart. My soul. Though they uttered no English, they spoke my language. They never called me Evalina Stowe, my given name, or Eva, my nickname, but most importantly they never called me murderess.

To murder a man was no small thing but to wrap your hands around a child's neck and squeeze until there was no more breath in his body, that was something different altogether. Evalina Stowe had done everything she could to free her young brother from Dr Horace Dowdrick's evil hold. She had
Valerie Fazio
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hooooo boy! Ill tell you one thing, I did not expect this whirlwind rollercoaster when I started this book. This is only the third book in my whole life I finished in one sitting. The other two: Fight Club and Harry Potter/Sorcerers Stone.

Id never divulged much into the indie reads genre prior to this book. BUT, I have a weakness for all things scary, gothic, and (strangely enough) the Salem Witch Trials era of American history. For some reason it has always fascinated me, anywhere from the
Christine Rains
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When an enraged client murders her younger brother, Evalina Stowe's anger and grief calls a swarm of wasps to sting him. When a cruel boss beats her, her birds swoop in for revenge. She's jailed for witchcraft in Philadelphia's Eastern State Penitentiary in 1854 and must endure solitary confinement. The villain who murdered her brother is still alive and doing horrible experiments on the prisoners. Evalina must find a way to stop him with the help of her friends in the prison and learning to ...more
Sarah Coleman
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read. It is well written with some an interesting main character. The story has plenty of character development and is an easy, quick read.

Riah Pilling
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As I absolutely adored Witch of Cards, this was an instant buy for me and Catherine Stine has 100% delivered.

Witch of the Wild Beasts is a beautiful story and is whilst being absolutely heartbreaking is also completely heartwarming. Evalina is such a loveable protagonist and her rag tag group of friends are just as interesting. I could absolutely read a book dedicated to Dolly!

Overall, a fantastic read.
sherri jones-teachout
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
She can control wild beasts and insects to do her bidding. When a cruel doctor comes into the shop where Evalina and her young brother Todd work, he strangles Todd to death just because Todd dropped his cloths on the floor. Evalina stabs him with a scissors and runs because no one would believe her about what the doctor did. She eventually finds work on a farm and befriends the birds she is supposed to kill, and when the farmer confronts her one of the birds flys down his thoat and he dies. She ...more
Crystal
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book4review
This was quite an interesting read...in a good way of course!
We walked through Evalina's journey with her in learning her powers, which I did in fact enjoy that this was not an easy process for her. She had to work hard to earn her relationships and trust with her "beasts".
All of her crew, the supporting characters, were varied and diverse. Each with their own backstory that helped her along her journey.
I do appreciate that the language was true to the time, and was continuous throughout the
Jamie Trauth
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good reads win, and let me tell you this Author is the sweetest! She even included a personalized note. Blew me away. Totally classy!

To show my gratitude, I finished her novel in three hours. I always read a win, but usually will read in order. Her sweet note prompted me to dive right in. It was excellent! She is as talented as she is humble. Her talent is seen in the pages. Her ability to tell a story, and keep you on edge is real with every turn of the page. It was exciting! I hope there are
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-books
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Holy moly! So the first 2 chapters had me thinking, hmmm, maybe not. After that I just about couldn't put it down. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I love animals so check. Loved the somewhat historical aspect of it, check again. Set in a prison,has a good witch involved, just so much of interest to me.
It's a fairly quick read but still pretty detail oriented. The secondary characters were mostly interesting or at least doing interesting things.
Heather Wamboldt
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witch of the Wild Beasts is an interesting historical fiction read.

Evalina Stowe is a well-developed character who is intriguing and has a supernatural bond with animals. The author has combined fact with fiction in the portrayal of some historical figures and Philadelphias Eastern State Penitentiary. This story is well written and compelling, with murder, imprisonment, and vengeance.

I am looking forward to reading more books by this new-to-me author.
I read and reviewed this book with no
Shannon
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read with a main character who has an interesting power and a storyline that moves along smoothly and has enough action to keep you interested.
Dena Akbar
Jeanna Massman
Elizabeth
Terri  Shortell
Feb 11, 2020
Goodreads Reviewe...: seeking reviews for new historical fantasy! 4 13 Mar 03, 2020 11:51AM

• Destiny (Experimental Heart #1)
  • The Relics of Ar'Zac Trilogy
  • The Curse of Time (The Cursed Watches,#1)
  • Court of Crimson
  • License to Date (Better Date than Never, #6)
  • The Dragon Fighter (Dragon Isle, #2)
  • The Ritual (Ryland Academy Rules #2)
  • A Dragon's Bite (Dragon Isle, #3)
  • My Lord and Dragon (Dragon Isle, #1)
  • Swept By The Highlander: A Scottish Time Travel Romance (Highlander Forever Book 3)
  • Fated in Forbidden (Alphas & Alchemy: Fierce Mates, #2)
  • Cowboy Dragon (Dragon Isle, #7)
  • Once Upon a Dragon (Dragon Isle, #9)
  • Never, Never (Shady Oaks #10)
  • Aurum Court Dragons (Aurum Court Dragons, #1-5)
  • The Writer's Baby Bear (Stormy Mountain Bears, #3)
  • Grave Secrets (The Everlasting Chronicles #3)
  • The Sheikh's American Assistant (Qadir Sheikhs #2)
Catherine Stine is a USA Today bestselling author of historical fantasy, sci-fi thrillers, paranormal romance and YA fiction. Her novels have earned Indie Notable awards and New York Public Library Best Books for Teens. Catherine's newest historical fantasy, Witch of the Wild Beasts, was a second prize winner in Valley Forge's 2019 RWA Sheila Contest.

She loves spending time with her beagle,