Start by marking “The Murderous Macaron (Julie Cavallo Investigates Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Murderous Macaron (Julie Cavallo Investigates Book 1)

The Murderous Macaron

(Julie Cavallo Investigates #1)

Julie has her freedom, a dream job as a pastry chef, and a corpse growing cold on her floor...

Welcome to Beldoc, a small town in the heart of Provence, imbued with lavender and fresh baked bread! You can idle around, or you can puzzle out a murder mystery.

When a man dies on her watch in her pâtisserie, newly divorced chef Julie Cavallo is dismayed.

Usually, she can bake her
Published February 5th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Murderous Macaron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murderous Macaron

Start your review of The Murderous Macaron (Julie Cavallo Investigates Book 1)
Heather
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as an ARC on iBooks.

Really glad I stuck this out read on!

I added comments about 1/3 of the way through because I couldnt tell where the book was really going. It ended up being a good story that just took a while to get off the ground. My original comments while still reading the book were:

Dead person is dead before the story starts
Main character has a vision a couple chapters in
Couple chapters later, decides to ask questions about dead person (baking student of hers)
Back story on
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This was a good read. One day a man drops dead in front of Julie. They say he had a heart attack but Julie think differently. She then spends the rest of the book trying to figure out who did it and why. Of course she does figure it out by the end. I did enjoy this and look forward to reading the next book.
Saahithya
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first ARC and had been a beautiful one.

The backdrop is a small town in France and the story is about how a Pasterrie chef, driven by her intuition and aided by her family solves a murder mystery.

This is a very light read but a good one at it. This book, brings in a lot of memory connected with Nancy drew cases and the famous five series.

I strongly recommend that teens and young adult should give a try to this neatly written book!
Charity Chimni
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Julie's first mystery! Her side kicks were hilarious. I loved all of the banter. The mystery was great and the touch of romance has me waiting for more! I can't wait to see the next mystery unfold!
Wendy
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: france, mystery
This is an OK read, maybe 2.5 stars. I've been looking for books set in Provence, which is how I came across this one. Unfortunately, other than a few French phrases here and there, it could have been set just about anywhere - there was no real feeling of being in Provence, or even in France for that matter.

The story itself is also just OK. I have a hard time with "amateur sleuth" stories when the sleuth keeps investigating a murder (or murders....) for no compelling reason in the face of
Karen Siddall
Julie Cavallo returns to her hometown of Beldoc in the Provence region of France, to open her own patisserie, Julies Gluten-Free Delights, and get a fresh start after her recent, and sudden, divorce. Business has been slow to build up but Julie is optimistic that her planned marketing events will get the word out: free Wi-Fi, free samples during the upcoming lavender trade show, and a class on making macarons at the shop. However, when one of her students drops dead in the first macaron class, ...more
bambu78
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
As a rule, I do not rate more than 3 stars to cozy mysteries, and keep the 4 and 5 stars for great literature.
In its own genre, The Murderous Macaron is really enjoyable though. It has kept me good company especially in these days, when there is not much you can do because of the coronavirus and reading is one of the few things allowing some evasion.
The mystery takes place in sunny Provence and the centre of the action is a gluten-free patisserie in Beldoc, a small town where everybody knows
John
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first book in the Julie Cavallo Investigates series by Ana T Drew was definitely an entertaining start to this cozy series. Many questions and suspects are presented for discussion and elimination by the amateur detective squad as they attempt to solve a murder that officially was a heart attack. To say that Julie was a quirky character would be an understatement. My only complaint about the book was that it took way too long to explain what happened to put Julie into therapy for nearly ...more
Jean West
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. This is the first book that I have read by this author, Ana T Drew, and I really didn't know what to expect.
When I first started reading this, I will admit I wasn't too impressed, but as I continued, I found the characters to be quirky and very interesting. The story, itself was full of twist and turns, and I honestly didn't figure out the ending until the reveal.
Its an easy read, and I am looking forward to reading more about Julie and her
Kyates718
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The fascinating setting makes this book. Julie has returned to her grandma's small French town to open a gluten-free bakery. She persists in investigating a non-member that occurred in her bakery. We get to meet lots of interesting characters, and learn about the neighborhoods and the Lavender Show as she continues her search. Her family and friends are quirky and, along with the Provence setting, make this an enjoyable read.
Denise
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable debut cozy read. Its well written and the characters are entertaining. At times I thought it was a bit slow but ultimately I ended up enjoying the story. Im looking forward to the next installment and am hoping that Julie begins to embrace her visions and finds ways to use them in her sleuthing! ...more
Carol Hatch
Mar 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring

Im so glad that I only borrowed this book because Id be quite unhappy had I paid for it. I found it utterly tedious and silly. Cozy mysteries are not my favorite genre, but I have read a few that I enjoyed. This was not one of them.
Heikki Loppi
Mar 26, 2020
Douglas A. Harper
Apr 01, 2020
Hoens
rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2020

• The Paper Magician
  • Himnaríki og helvíti
  • Craven Manor
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Mall
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • Blizzard in the Bay (The Inn at Holiday Bay, #8)
  • Special Agent Francesca (Undercover FBI, #1)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)
  • Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror
  • Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
  • Arranged: A Dark Mafia Romance
  • Murder Makes Scents (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #2)
  • Spell it Out (The Kitchen Witch Book 9)
  • The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
1 follower
Ana T. Drew is the evil mastermind behind the recent series of murders in the fictional French town of Beldoc.

When she is not writing cozy mysteries or doing mom-and-wife things, she can be found watching The Rookie to help her get over Castle.

She lives in Paris but her heart is in Provence.

>>> Visit her website at ana-drew.com and play a mystery solving game!

Julie Cavallo Investigates (2 books)
  • The Killer Karma (Julie Cavallo Investigates, #2)

News & Interviews