Start by marking “American Daughter: A Memoir of Intergenerational Trauma, a Mother's Dark Secrets, and a Daughter's Quest for Redemption” as Want to Read:

INSTANT AMAZON BEST SELLER

"American Daughter–in the tradition of classics like The Glass Castle, LA Diaries and White Oleander–explores in unsparing details the complex interplay between intimate family ties, generational abuse and cataclysmic losses."

– Gina Frangello, Author of Every Kind of Wanting and A Life in Men, Editor of The Coachella Review

For 50 years, Stephanie
Kindle Edition
Published February 11th 2020 by River Grove Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• American Daughter by Stephanie Thornton Plymale
    Release date: Feb 11, 2020
    INSTANT AMAZON BEST SELLER

For 50 years, Stephanie Thornton Plymale kept her past a fiercely guarded secret.

No one outside her immediate family would

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 312 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 18 - Feb 25, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about American Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Daughter

Start your review of American Daughter: A Memoir of Intergenerational Trauma, a Mother's Dark Secrets, and a Daughter's Quest for Redemption
    Kelly Long
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
    Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
    This is such an incredible story. So many emotions went through me the whole time I read this book. I, like many others, wondered how the author turned out so well after what she experienced growing up and even more as an adult I highly recommend this book.
    Janis Howard
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was a powerful read beginning with the first paragraph! I could NOT stop. I was impacted emotionally about this woman’s journey through her childhood. It is Stephanie’s life beginning with her as a child and the relationships that led her to who she is today: a woman who positively empowers others. . .
    Amy White
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Stephanie’s memoir is a captivating true story that will keep you on the edge of your seat and leave you feeling inspired. Despite the hardship she experienced as a child, from homelessness, neglect, and an estranged relationship with her mother, she grew into a strong, accomplished and nurturing woman with no regrets and no grudges. This story of overcoming will encourage you to achieve your dreams no matter what might be standing in your way.
    Michi Suzuki
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was INCREDIBLE, I finished it in 2 days. Written in such a powerful, raw and emotional manner - it had me in tears followed by waves of inspiration, hope and so much empathy for this author. She has a story to share with the world and one that will hopefully take away the very important messages and lessons I took away from it. Incredible. A must read for everyone. Thank you, Stephanie Thornton Plymale.
    Lauren
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020
    Stephanie Thornton Plymale had a rough life, to put it mildly. She grew up with an absentee addict mother who spent years in mental institutions and jails, with a similarly addicted and apathetic crook of a stepfather. When her mother was around, she was emotionally manipulative to Stephanie and her three siblings, refusing to be a provider, putting her kids in danger constantly, showing herself to be a pathological liar, intervening where she wasn't wanted, so much so that Stephanie took out ...more
    Cindy Easton
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I haven't been this moved by a book in ages. I read it in 2 days and couldn't put it down. The author’s tragic and staggeringly beautiful story is told with dignity and grace. Her life story is compelling, but more so is the outcome. Rising above all she endured, Plymale not only created a life of beauty for herself and her family, but she also brought healing to those who harmed her or weren’t there for her throughout her life. Her words in this book are a gift to those who are downtrodden and ...more
    Wayne Vandekraak
    American Daughter is a raw and riveting story of hardship, injustice, and generational redemption. From the first till the last page I was captivated and spellbound and could not put the book down. The life-story of the author, Stephanie Thornton Plymale, is the story of America – the real and unvarnished America. A little girl who is the casualty of her mother’s trauma and yet refuses to succumb to be a victim herself. The author’s life allows us to see, as through a dark glass clearly, the ...more
    Cara Murray
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A fascinating memoir, American Daughter will challenge your preconceptions and inspire you to examine your own family lineage. Stephanie shares her story with poignant grace and honesty and is an example of strength, courage, and unwavering determination in the face of unspeakable hardship. Her journey to uncover the truths of her past will stick with you for years to come. Loved this read!!
    Pat
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is an excellent read about survival against overwhelming odds.
    Andikuck
    Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Fantastic Read!

From the moment I read the first few sentences in the prologue I was wrangled in!
    I don’t know even where to begin to explain how much I love this book! What an amazing, gut wrenching story that is filled with so much heart and soul. The writer(s)
    give such a great visual from the very beginning. I immediately could see this as a movie, even imagining certain songs for different scenes! It is far more than a story of rags to riches or overcoming a traumatic childhood. Ms Plymale
    Missy
    Feb 11, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    "You see, even then, I still loved her, all my life, I've always loved her. No matter what."

Stephanie survived her abusive childhood from her mother, to the foster care where she was placed. This memoir was heartbreaking. But when she investigates the family history and found the truth that her mother had told her about her own life, it was devastating as well. Forgiveness and her love for her mother.

"You healed her heart."
    Stephanie is a beautiful person and with love and support of her
    Chris Shortell
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book takes the reader along on a journey that is equal parts heart-rending, shocking, and uplifting. It may be surprising to describe a story of homelessness, child abuse, and mental illness as uplifting, but Plymale's open and thoughtful consideration of her life story gives hope to those who have struggled through adversity. She does not shy from describing those challenges, creating a sense of profound empathy for both her and, shockingly, for the mother who was the catalyst for so much ...more
    Laurie White
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    American Daughter is an extremely powerful story that is impossible to put down. Stephanie’s journey is an epic one filled with inspiration in her triumph of overcoming an inconceivable upbringing that bares light on the realities of living with mental illness and the foster care system. Her unending quest for understanding her heritage is magical, and her determination and perseverance to bring meaning and hope to others leaves you in awe. It is one of the most heartfelt stories I have ever had ...more
    Kelly
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I inhaled this book in about 48 hours. From the first page to the last, it is absolutely riveting! Heartbreaking and raw, it left me in tears more than once. Stephanie tells her story in such an honest and human voice, you can’t help but feel the whole range of emotions along with her. And the ending! This story left me stunned
    susie munds
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Everyone who has a story must read!!

I sat down to start this book and ended up finishing in a few hours. The story was so captivating that I found myself unable to put it down. I was inspired by how far Stephanie has come after reading her story. I am not surprised by the success this book has already had and I think everyone who has a story should read it.
    John Plymale
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    American Daughter is one part moving memoir, one part intriguing mystery…and all heart. It lays bare the bones of a secret long buried, taking the reader on a journey between present and past. Lost and found. Second chances and new beginnings. This is a well-woven story and a timely reminder that through adversity there can be triumph and through pain there can be forgiveness.
    Irene
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book transformed my entire life. Through the inspiring moments of overcoming life’s obstacles, to the moments that reminded me of my personal hardships, Stephanie’s story lit a fire in me and empowered me to overcome the victim role that I had been holding onto for my entire life. Her story is relatable, empowering and authentic, and helped me open my heart to new beginnings.
    Kate
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A truly mesmerizing and painfully heartbreaking memoir detailing the author’s beyond troubled childhood with her drug addicted and mentally ill mother. A truly breathtaking memoir. Love, pain, loss, redemption, hope...it’s all here.
    Prathama Mallya
    I currently halfway through this book and I had to stop to emotionally process the trauma this little child went through.
    Heart wrenching and emotionally gripping.
    Vincent Mayta
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Beautiful, inspiring story of overcoming the trials and tribulations of family trauma. Highly relatable.
    Judy A. Dunne
    Feb 13, 2020
    Melinda Pearson
    Feb 16, 2020
    Barbara Carolan
    rated it did not like it
    Feb 11, 2020

• City of Women
    • Bombay Balchao
    • Never Let Me Go
    • Behind Every Lie
    • Widow Walk (Widow Walk Saga Book 1)
    • Call Me Cockroach
    • Surviving The Forest
    • Maude
    • My Name is Eva
    • Choose Wonder Over Worry: Move Beyond Fear and Doubt to Unlock Your Full Potential