Start by marking “Dust & Lightning” as Want to Read:
Dust & Lightning

Dust & Lightning

In the near future, humans have gone beyond simple space travel. By the year 4054, multiple solar systems are inhabited, and taking a spaceship is as commonplace as taking an aeroplane.

Unfortunately, not everything about the future is so advanced. The central planets, led by Earth, have risen high at the expense of cheap labour on distant worlds. Dissent is widespread and
Published February 5th 2020 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Dust & Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust & Lightning

Start your review of Dust & Lightning
Adrian
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow 👍🏻

And here is the review.
Firstly many thanks to Rebecca for allowing me the opportunity to read her latest novella.

Right, let's start with why I have only given this four stars. The story is really interesting and enticing, and it dashes along at a fair old pace, the people are interesting and you want to get to know more about them, the adversaries are interesting and you want them to be blasted to Kingdom Come, but despite the fact that I knew this was a "long short" story or
Dianne
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Talk about being drawn into an author’s world! DUST AND LIGHTNING by Rebecca Crunden lifts readers out of the 21st century and beams us into the year 4054 after new solar systems have been discovered, inhabited and travel between them is no more amazing than flying across an ocean.

Sadly, with progress and expansion come the abuse of power, the greed for the almighty dollar and the uprising of the workers, as well as the corporate retaliation, from imprisonment to unexplained disappearances. One
April Wood
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Of all the outcomes he had imagined upon rescuing his brother, waging war against the most powerful man in the universe certainly hadn’t been one of them.”

Ames receives word that his brother Callum was killed during a prison riot en route to planet Kilnin, where he was unfairly sentenced to a labor camp by the Democratic Planetary Alliance. Troubled by the devastating news, Ames departs Earth on a hunt for the truth, venturing into space for the first time. Unfortunately this is no easy feat an
TS Chan
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review-copy
Dust & Lightning was an enjoyable science fiction adventure that packed just enough character development and worldbuilding to make the plot work in novella form.

I do approach novellas differently from full-length novels and sometimes it's a welcomed change. Given the number of pages and words, I do tend to cut the author some slack when it comes to the depth of characterisation and worldbuilding. Even though Crunden seemed to have kept the worldbuilding fairly straightforward, it nonetheless ha
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Rebecca Crunden for sending an epub copy of her sci-fi novella in exchange for an honest review!

I read this in one session because the action just never stopped and it was impossible to put down. It was believable action too, involving a lot of narrow escapes and cool powers, and I felt like it was well paced.

It's only 117 pages but there is enough description to get a visual image of the important places and objects, as well as a good sense of setting.

In the brief span of k
Heena Rathore P.
Dust & Lightning by Rebecca Crunden is a smashing sci-fi novella that combines elements of suspense, mystery, adventure and action, making it a complete package deal for all sci-fi lovers. This is my 6th book by the author and by now I have become so familiar with author Rebecca's writing that it feels like visiting an old friend to read her books. I don't usually go for the same authors unless I like their work which only goes on to say that Rebecca's stories are always worth it. This one is a ...more
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

In the future when humans have terraformed and taking over several planets within the Galaxy, Earth is so polluted that you have to wear a face mask to go outside, but it is still the seat of power with in the alliance.

The leader of Earth is a foul, greedy, cruel man who sends all of his enemies to either be experimented on, shot and killed, are put into the mines forever. Ames and Callum are brothers, Ames has decided to stay on Earth while Callum is a relief worker that went off
Don Jimmy Reviews
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dust and Lightning is a straight up science fiction tale that is set in the very distant future of 4054. Space travel is commonplace and while the earth is still inhabited the affects of global warming and human greed have pushed many to the stars.

Ames needs to get off planet immediately, he needs to find answers about his brother, and desperately leaves earth, but some people don't want him leaving planet-side and he is being chased from the get go.

As the story delves deeper we learn a lot abou
Loyal Lyre
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The thing I hate most about Rebecca Crunden's work is that she either makes me want to write, now, right now, RIGHT NOW, or she makes me hungry. The last six books I read of hers have just been adverts for chocolate pastries I don't have. Woe is me.

I jest, of course. I love writing and chocolate pastries, so there is nothing wrong with either of those urges. And I love this author's work. Suffice to say Dust & Lightning is a good old romp, as ever in the author's envy-inducing fabulous writing.
Jake is Reading
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dust & Lightning is a no fuss, straight up space adventure that I tore through in one sitting. It has all the fun of Becky Chambers’ Wayfarers series and a conspiratorial plot similar to Ann Leckie’s Provenance, resulting in a satisfying read.

When Ames received word from the Democratic Planetary Alliance that his kind-hearted brother was arrested and later killed on a transport ship during an inmate riot, he was suspicious. When shortly after this his travel rights are suspended and he becomes t
Teresa
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:

Claire Davis
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given Dust & Lightning by Rebecca Crunden four out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Although this book is short, I was not expecting to read it within one day! Dust & Lightning is a gripping sci-fi novella which is incredibly descriptive and I found it was quite fast-paced.

Crunden’s writing is somewhat special, she really knows how to draw the audience in with her descriptive writing and futuristic setting. I found it very immersive and, althoug
Stuart Aken
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This science fiction novella is listed under the ‘dystopian’ tag. However, it contains the currently essential ingredient, hope, so leaves the reader in an uplifted mood after a journey through some pretty dire times.
It’s a well-written piece, with very few editing needs. Most importantly (to me, anyway) it’s easy to empathise with the characters. There’s a hint of romance, no sex, but a developing friendship that gives the impression of further growth.
As is often the case, this has the appeara
Erin Kahn
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Dust and Lightning was a fun read that kept me engaged and guessing right up to the end. The characters are sympathetic, the settings exciting, and the action non-stop.

From the very first sentence, I was intrigued. A man stands on a platform waiting for a space shuttle to arrive. But he's a mysterious figure and it's obvious he's on his guard. He's ready to spring up and run at the first sight of danger--and he fully expects danger to follow him.

The man's name is Ames Emerys, and it turns out h
H.R.R. Gorman
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short book was very much a ride of excitement from beginning to end. The main characters, Ames and Violet, found each other quickly and were off on an adventure to save Ames's brother, Callum. The book moved quickly and - had there not been a mild emergency occur IRL at 42% of the way through my reading - could easily be read in one sitting. The book reminded me a lot of the Schwarzenegger flick "Total Recall".

Though the beginning did contain a lot of worldbuilding, the drive of the story
Mark taylor
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, author-request

I got Dust & Lightning by Rebecca Crundon from the author for free, for a fair and honest review.

I started to read this book with some trepidation, as this is the first book I have got directly from the writer, However, after reading the first few pages, I no longer had this fear.

The Writing style of Rebecca Crundon was so easy to read,it was like they were reading the story to me personally.This is something that can happen if I have read the author before, but this is the first time it has hap
Hannah
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Earth as we know it is a polluted mess, with air that leaves a layer of grime on your skin and you can no longer see the stars at night, humans have started terraforming other planets to sustain life as earth isn’t as habitable as it once was.

Set in the future this story follows Ames Emerys as he is evading agents who are chasing him.

He manages to evade them and ends up on a ship into space in search for his brother Callum, who was mysteriously reported dead in a riot on a prisoner ship sent to
Brenda
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again Ms. Crunden did not disappoint! Excellent world building takes you right into the year 4054. Ames is trying to save his brother whom has been sentenced to a murder he did not commit and has since seems to have disappeared.

I thoroughly enjoy this author's writing style as she draws you in to each and every book. I highly recommend you to read her works. I look forward to more from her.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
H.K.
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this story! Great characters, lush and detailed sci-fi elements and a fast paced action and adventure. The ending seemed like a good set up for a sequel which I really hope for. I really want to see more of this interesting and addictive sci-fi world and what it has in store for the characters next!
Abigail van Pelt
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic boom from this wonderful author. From the beginning the characters are interesting to follow. The book is set far in the future with enough intrigue and imagination to be interesting but with enough reality to make it sobering. The author built a world that was interesting to travel through, and the end left me wanting more. Was nice to read a sci-fi book that didn’t have so much conflict that it overpowered the story but enough adding to it’s interest. Looking forward to seein ...more
Eliza Jo
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
From Sci Fi and Scary:

Dust & Lightning opens on a future earth, with our protagonist waiting to board a ship to take him into outer space. Ames is alert and on guard and quickly senses trouble. He is also able to effectively avoid this trouble and achieve his goal.

Much of his motivation is presented through narrative. His brother was convicted of a serious crime and sent to a prison on an outer planet. Then, Ames received word that his brother has died. However, he also hears from family who liv
Dale Thompson
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first requested review by an author, and I would just like to say to Rebecca a big thank you for sending me a copy.

As with all of my reviews we have a couple of small spoilers, but I’ve not gone into anything that will ruin the story.

Novellas aren’t something I normally read, short stories and even collections tend to be something I refuse to go near, I think it’s the fact I hate the idea of getting drawn into a book that is going to leave me in 100 pages in (a strong abandonmen
Kimberly Godwin
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun. The main leads are both interesting and compelling. They both compliment each other and fill a capabilities gap where one is lacking. There is no "stand back dear, I'll save you" moments. When the going gets tough, both characters roll up their sleeves and work together to save the day.

The future technologies aren't bogged down by strange terms or technobabble- there is just enough to give you the idea of how advanced the setting is. The characters feel natural and effort
John McKeogh
Jeremy
May 13, 2020
Arūnas Mameniškis
May 22, 2020

• We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • The Black Coast (The God-King Chronicles, #1)
  • Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
  • Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)
  • The Gate of Bones (Dawn of Fire #2)
  • Avenging Son (Dawn of Fire #1)
  • The Guest Cat
  • The Shadow Puppet (Maigret, #13)
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • The Deep
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Sleeper and the Spindle
  • The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #1)
  • The Saint-Fiacre Affair (Maigret, #14)
  • The Ministry for the Future