Start by marking “Sliding Into Home” as Want to Read:
Sliding Into Home

Sliding Into Home

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
An adolescent girl learns that realizing a dream requires a good deal more than stubborn, steely resolve as she risks everything to follow her heart. It's not fair! Thirteen-year-old Joelle Cunningham is passionate about baseball. She loves to watch it, read about it, and, most of all, play it. But when her family moves from Minneapolis to a small town in Iowa, she discove ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Peachtree Jr (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sliding Into Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sliding Into Home

Hannah
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls (ages 11-14)
Shelves: chapterbooks
Joelle Cunningham, age 13, and her family move from Minnesota to Greendale, Iowa. Back in Minnesota she played baseball, when most of the other girls played softball. When she finds out her new school in Iowa won't let girls play baseball, they have to play softball, she sets her mind to somehow forming a girls baseball team.
Sky *daughter of Hermes*
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
JoJo is a girl that I could relate to. This girl is a determind and I can take a challange kinda girl. JoJo reminds me of myself.
I love to write and my English teacher didn't want to have me in this writing contest. So instead of entering a writing contest I decided to write letters to friends form different places. They may not understand them half the time but they really enjoy it and I can't wait to see their faces someday when I meet them!
Instead of a writing contest, It's baseball for Joel
Cheyenne
I learned it is hard to move to a different school because a lot of things change. I also learned most of the things change for the best and if not, then you can change things if you really have to. This book inspired me because its about a girl who knows what she likes and she stands up for herself. It's good that she likes baseball; we should get more girls into baseball.
Rebecca
Joelle comes from a baseball family and has always played baseball herself, but when her family moves to Iowa, she's informed that girls are not allowed to play baseball in her school district; their only option is softball. Joelle is furious and frustrated because the sports are not the same, and she's tired of everyone telling her she should just play softball and get over it. She's not about to take softball for an answer, though, and sets out to find a way she can play her favorite sport. Al ...more
Edgar quintanilla
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Dotty
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Joelle Cunningham has just moved from Minneapolis to Greendale, Iowa. She plays baseball and would rather play it than any other game, even softball. But in Greendale there are no baseball teams for girls and Joelle is out to change that. When she can’t change the school board she starts her own all girl league - but it’s easier said than done!
Emilee Cernosek
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
very good for people who like to play sports. it is about a girl that wants to play baseball but the girls at her school play softball because the school only lets girls play softball and boys play softball. Does she get to play baseball? You can only find out if you read the book. so read it, it is good
Micherac0
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a girl who wants to play baseball at her school but she isn't allowed to. So she tries to make an all girls baseball league. This book also has everday conflicts like friendship problems and school popularity!
K
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it's one of my favorites...i love the story...
irockursocks
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was AWESOME!!! i liked it beacuse i like to play softball and it talked alot about the sport.
Morgan Janiuk
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS LITERALLY MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER. I still read it, although it's below my reading level. If you love baseball like me, then it's a great book to read just for fun!
Adreanne
this is a really good book!!! i actually read this on my baseball camp, and one of the places we went was in iowa!
Maddy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it was the best book ever I could really feel as if I was in the story with The main character.
Catherine Treseler
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I recommend this book to those who like to read about baseball.
Miyu Aiko
Apr 25, 2009
MaKayla Nettles
Jan 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Dori Hillestad Butler grew up writing, for she had no brothers or sisters to play with until she was eight years old. The first book she published was The Great Tooth Fairy Rip-Off , it took her many years to sell that book, followed by four more picture books. She then started writing YA books short stories have appeared in anthologies entitled, The Green Umbrella and Other Sports Stories (Hig ...more
More about Dori Hillestad Butler...