Start by marking “Doggie Language: A Dog Lover's Guide to Understanding Your Best Friend” as Want to Read:
Doggie Language: A Dog Lover's Guide to Understanding Your Best Friend

Doggie Language: A Dog Lover's Guide to Understanding Your Best Friend

Dogs communicate with so much more than barks and tail wags, and misreading doggie body language makes life challenging for dogs and their humans.

This small but mighty book is your perfect illustrated guide to seeing and understanding the subtle visual cues and interpreting the behaviours used by your beloved pup to express how they're feeling. The more we notice and liste
Published October 6th 2020 by Summersdale

To ask other readers questions about Doggie Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggie Language

Start your review of Doggie Language: A Dog Lover's Guide to Understanding Your Best Friend
Emily Larlham
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was brought to tears when talking about this book because I know that this book is going to change the lives of so many dogs and their people for the better. Learning how to read your dog’s body language is such an important skill for a two-sided relationship with your dog.

Lili has an exceptionally advanced understanding of reading dog body language yet she has found a way to translate the information into easy to understand pictures and texts that will help not only those with little to no d
Bradley Frederick
Aug 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A short and effective guide to understanding what your dog is feeling and how your dog expresses emotions.
Estelle Mack
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVED it! A must have for any dog parent. Great info & Lili Chin’s illustrations are fantastic I could not wait to put my paws on his little gem since I pre-ordered the book more than 8 months ago! I ❤️ Lili Chin’s work and. Booggie, her rescue pooch who inspired her to educate fellow dog lovers!
Rhys
Apr 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent overview of dog body language with wonderful illustrations! I've been around dogs my whole life and I felt like I knew a lot of this but I did still learn some things. I also really appreciated the variety of dogs shown and the emphasis on looking at the whole body and the context of the situation! Great resource. ...more
May 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, dog
A must-read for anyone who cares for/ about dogs. I wish that people were better at interpreting dog body language, and this book is a compact, good reference of the basics with cute and useful cartoon drawings.
Ashleigh Forristall
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an adorable accurate representation of doggie body language and communication! The illustrations are such a helpful way for people to see it explained - and it’s also a very attractive addition to your coffee table for all dog lovers!
Dixie
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, simple, accurate, clear, family-friendly. If everyone read this book there would be far fewer dog bites, and many more harmonious human/dog families.
Courtney
Nov 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that is education and super easy to understand about dog body language, then this is the book for you! I read this in about half an hour and there are beautiful illustrations showing many different signals dogs give. Highly recommend for lovers of dogs!
Gitty Mandel
Apr 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-behavior
Amazing visuals and explanations of dog body language. Be warned, once you learn what a stressed dog looks like, you’ll see them everywhere.
Rachael Pirrie
Jan 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly useful book with lovely illustrations that are almost coming off the page
Zsófia
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's an adorable book with clear descriptions and wonderful illustrations! I think it's perfect if you want to teach children how dogs communicate, but even as an adult there's a lot to learn, depending on your level of experience. I've had my dog for 4 years and there were still a couple of things that were new to me! ...more
Claudia Almeida
Jun 22, 2022 rated it liked it
I was honestly expecting more from this book. It's useful and so important to help owners understand their doggos but I wish it was more in depth. The drawings are adorable but some real life pictures would have been more helpful to identifying the nunces. ...more
Irene McHugh
If you've searched for information about dog body language on Pinterest, then you've probably seen Lili Chin's artwork featured on posters and in blog posts that get saved all the time.

Her illustrations make recognizing dog body language accessible to anyone. When she announced that she published a book of her dog body language images, I knew I would love it.

She breaks her illustrations into 9 chapters:

Ever
Lea
Aug 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
I decided to change my review and increase it to 4 stars for the simple reason that I've been paying closer attention to my dog's reactions to things I'm doing. And I believe that is likely the entire point. Plus there are cute dog illustrations!

I imagine there's no way to write a book where everyone with any dog knowledge and experience is going to agree. There are resources on the doggie language book dot com website, but I think I would prefer a bit more in the book about what qualifications
Korun Anne
May 12, 2022 rated it liked it
This will be definitely helpful in understanding our best friends better. 🐾🥰 I was surprised with the Zoomies’ interpretation! It’s a good book to share to children, esp since the illustrations make it easy to understand.

And the other day, I was just about to pet our dog because her neck was so cute, but she suddenly snarled at me, and I was taken aback. I didn’t read that she was protecting her toy, even though she already gave the clues using her eyes and her body language. This book helped me
Stephanie Landis
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you have a dog, you should read this and keep it on hand as guide to your dog's language.

If you want a dog, you should read and learn what to look for and your new dog will communicate with you before you bring your new dog home.

I've worked as a pet groomer for 13 years, and I'm still learning how to read dog body language. My current dog is a particular challenge, and I got this book to help me remember what to look for when he's feeling intimidated or anxious.
Jana L
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You have to check out this amazing little book by @lilita_yaya. Doggie Language is full of adorable doggie illustrations and canine communication cues to help our humans understand what our doggie body language means! It’s priced under $12 and makes a great stocking stuffer or gift for dog loving furriends and everypawdy in your family.
susie
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiftyfifty-2020
A beautifully illustrated book perfect to gift someone getting to know their dog. Author Lili Chin gently reinforces her concepts of interpretation (look at the whole body, look at the context, etc.) to help people be more compassionate toward their four legged friends! Her illustrations are expressive and annotated with both information and hilarious captions.
bibliodufi
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. If you've got a dog, even if you know dogs well, you will learn things you still didn't know.
If you don't have a dog you should still read it, especially if you're afraid of them - this book could teach you the difference between bared teeth and a wagging tail and bared teeth and a dog on the edge. And do you know that growls are not always a warning......?
Lindsey
Mar 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This was a super quick read that's in an adorable picture book format. The information is quick and thorough. The pictures are super cute and really help visualize the different scenarios. Love this book for people trying to learn more about their dogs who want a quick read with loads of useful info. ...more
Jorgen Lundgren
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little book with great animations.
Now I know what her stretch means.
If you would like to know, read her book.
We will refer to this easy read (not much text) again and again for our 6 years old Romanian rescue dog Evie.
Carla
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE that interacts with dogs should own / read this book! Lili Chin's work on dog body language has made a huge improvement in communicating important information to people around the world bridging the gap between the human and canine species. ...more
Eric
Nov 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book made me smile, and I only wished it would have been longer. I love how we have a fantastic community of people who put out this kind of information where we can get to know our beloved pets and care for them.
Ellie
Jan 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Simple, cute & elegant art that helps show much more complex ideas and science-based dog behavior analysis.
Highly recommend to all dog lovers, the book is also suitable for children lessons.
Ashley
Aug 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute pictures and a great visual guide for those not familiar with dog body language. I think it would be a wonderful tool for teaching children especially what to look for to know if they are coming on too strong and to respect a dogs body/space to prevent any accidents/bites.
Ultramarinedream
Sep 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Short but really informative, I’ve picked up a lot of this naturally just living with dogs but I still wish this book had been available years ago when I knew much less. The drawings really help understand the different ways that body language can manifest in different breeds.
Ashley Wright
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books
This small, yet very informative book is so important for dog owners, children and anyone who interacts with dogs. Highly recommend! I learned a lot and will be referencing going forward.
Emily Lee
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Cute drawings, great information. All dogs should come with this book.
Michael
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really useful book for understanding basic dog behaviors and interactions.
Guoste
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good basic insight for those who are starting out in trying to understand dog body language.

• On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Meet Your Dog: The Game-Changing Guide to Understanding Your Dog's Behavior (Dog Training Book, Dog Breed Behavior Book)
  • The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
  • Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs
  • Why Not Me?
  • Canine Enrichment for the Real World: Making It a Part of Your Dog's Daily Life
  • The Shadows
  • My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do?
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Home Body