Start by marking “Beautiful Wild” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Wild

Beautiful Wild

You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage of the SS Princess of the Pacific in this indulgent historical romance from Anna Godbersen, the New York Times bestselling author of the Luxe series.

Vida Hazzard can see her future: aboard the heralded “Millionaire’s Ship of the West,” she’ll charm the young scion Fitzhugh Farrar, resulting in a proposal of marriage.

But Vida
Published November 3rd 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Wild

Start your review of Beautiful Wild
Irene
Feb 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Okay, it's not a bad cover, but I'm disappointed that it's nowhere near The Luxe books with regards to those gorgeous dresses.

description
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell
Uh uh, you can't fool me. Rule #1 of books set on ships is that somebody is going to get murdered. ...more
Sarah Mac
And there was herself, Vida—the same girl whose name had once appeared in society notes in newspapers—encased in that pale pink dinner dress, which had been dirtied and magically cleaned again, almost bleached white, by its trial in the elements. That lace and cotton fitted tight to her body. Her small body, which she’d walked in all her life. For long, unthinking stretches of existence that body was all she really knew. Now her physical form seemed a tiny, insignificant doll thrown against the ...more
Celia McMahon
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks Edelweiss and HarperCollins who both continue to trust me with their books.

This took me a while to finally get into and I considered if it was truly the book for a reader like me. As I expected, I did manage to finish, but without some disappointment.

Vidalia was one of those characters who I wanted to shake like a rag doll. She was rude, entitled, and insensitive and thankfully she changed throughout the book but it made it hard to root for her.

The writing was great, but I found my atten
Annie

Doesn’t it feel like it has been ages since we’ve gotten a book from Anna Godbersen? I remember back in the day, before I even read Romance or had a blog, I used to read Godberson when I strictly only read Young Adult books. So I was excited to see that she was coming out with a new series after this long time. Because of the nostalgia, I feel a bit sentimental toward this author and had some pretty high hopes about this new book.

BEAUTIFUL WILD keeps in touch with Anna’s signature style. It
Taschima
"The first voyage of the Princess is one of those events that bring all the best people together, for it promises lavish parties and gossip galore."

You know what, I actually enjoyed this book a lot. You have to be in the right mood to read an Anna Godbersen book. Beautiful Wild was glamorous, far fetched, dramatic, and it dealt with a small kernel of truth about appearances and what matters most in life at the end of the day. Are you living your life for you, or for those around you? Will a life
Lola
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...Just kidding!

It’s 1905, and spunky seventeen-year-old Vidalia Hazzard has one goal: to find a husband. She hops aboard the luxurious cruise ship Princess of the Pacific to go on the adventure of a lifetime, more specifically, winning the heart of Fitzhugh Farrar, the brother of the ship’s owner. Vida’s plans are shattered when the ship sinks, with only a handful of passengers narrowly escaping. Vida, Fitz, and Fitz’s caustic
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
This review is for an ARC (Advanced Reader’s Copy), which I found at my local bookstore. All opinions are my own. This review may contain *spoilers*.

Whew.

Well, that was certainly something, and I don’t quite care for it. I read the author’s LUXE series and liked it well enough as a whole to read something else of hers. But... I think I’ll avoid it from now on. Darn you, historical fiction, for really pulling me in!

A sweeping romance? What the heck. Not at all. This didn’t make me yearn for more
Ivy Brooks
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Wild is a mixture of Titanic, Castaway and Anna's notorious Luxe series. It is filled with romance, adventure, a shipwreck and of course ball gowns with beautiful dresses! This book is about Vida Hazzard boarding the “Millionaire’s Ship of the West” in order to save her reputation by getting Fitzhugh Farrar to propose while aboard. On their journey, the ship sinks and strands several passengers on a remote island, to await rescue. While stranded, Vida finds that she is not only develop ...more
Cait
Feb 10, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I... think I need to stop reading Anna Goldbersen. Her books always sound so fun, but when I get to them, I'm so disappointed. ...more
Natalie

Okay, the first thing I have to get off my chest is the name of the main character - VIDALIA, really?!? She’s named after an onion???? Her name grated on my nerves the entire time. Of course, Vida herself also annoyed me. She went from being prissy, catty, and entitled to strong and self sufficient practically as soon as they are stranded on the island. Her transformation came out of literally nowhere.

As always, love triangles are the worst. I understand why it was there, but I just do
Lindsay
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The summary was misleading since the ship didn't sink because of a hurricane, and the hurricane was part of the story for two seconds. I skimmed a lot of the descriptions since they were quite lengthy. The island portion of the story was the most intriguing, but the love interests kind of ruined it. I wasn't a fan of Vidalia (who names someone after an onion?) due to her rude and self-centered attitude. She thankfully changed once getting on the island which was a shock because I expected her to ...more
Alicia
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to HCC Frenzy for sending me an ARC to read and review!
3/5 stars.
I wish I had liked this one more than I did because I felt like it had a lot of promise, but it just didn't quite live up to what I wanted from it. I found that I didn't really care about, or like, any of the characters. Vida was alright and I liked the way that she evolved as a character by the end, but I would have liked to see more of her becoming more confident while on the island. I had trouble keeping some of the o
Andria Sedig
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I'm not a fan of this author's other works, but overall found Beautiful Wild to be an enjoyable read. There was nothing particularly wrong with the story, though I did find myself skimming the text at times (particularly on the island) and found the end to be thoroughly predictable, but this was a fun, light and easy read. ...more
Rachelle Renee Kirby
Sweet and romantic YA historical fiction with a bit of thrilling adventure and a lot of love triangle thrown in.
Natalie
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, audiobook
Am I too old for a gilded age YA novel? Possibly, but at least the intense romantic intrigue among 17 year-old girls makes sense given the time period. Anna Godbersen writes female characters that fit for their time period, rebel within the standards of their time period, and are just really enjoyable and that's what I want when I read her stuff. ...more
Sheri Hatalla
Jan 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Caroline Craig David
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautifully written book. I could picture everything that was happening and I love that it was profound without having too much weight. I definitely recommend for those who enjoy historical fiction with a dash of drama.
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars!

I knew this author's name because the Luxe series was everywhere a few years ago and the covers for that series are absolutely stunning! Unfortunately, I haven't read that series, so this book was my first read from this author! I received this book from the publisher and the synopsis sounded amazing, so I read it as soon as I had finished my current read! After reading, I can say that I liked this book a lot more than I was expecting too! I had a few issues with the main character, bu
Thindbooks
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
*This arc was given to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

Kind of like The Titanic but getting stranded on an island. Vida boards the Princess to get Fitzhugh to marry her but also meets his best friend, Sal, who gets under her skin. A hurricane hits and destroys the Princess, getting Vida, Fitzhugh, Sal, and other members stranded on an island. Now Vida is stuck between the two boys and doesn't know who will take her heart.

This book was a little hard to get into the story b
Samantha
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Unless you are that one remaining person on the planet who hasn’t seen the movie/read anything about Titanic, you can probably skip this one. This is pretty much the same story, but absent most of the excitement.

I love shipwreck books (especially when the ship in question is an early 20th century ocean liner) and I’m generally not that picky about the quality. Unfortunately, this one still left a lot to be desired, despite the premise being quite promising.

The biggest problem with the book is t
Alice Woodland (alicethroughthebookstore)
*This book was sent to me to review by HCC Frenzy, but all opinions are my own.*

Beautiful Wild by Anna Godbersen follows Vida Hazzard, a girl on the maiden voyage of the SS Princess of the Pacific. Her mission is to charm the young scion Fitzhugh Farrar, resulting in a proposal of marriage. But Vida didn't plan on Fitz's best friend, Sal, a rough-around-the-edges boy with a talent for getting under her skin. Nor did she anticipate a hurricane dashing their ship to pieces, along with her dreams.
Under the Covers Book Blog
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

BEAUTIFUL WILD keeps in touch with Anna’s signature s
Jessie
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
I skimmed. A lot. Not entirely proud of that, but if I didn’t I’m afraid I never would have finished this novel.

I received it in a Spearcraft Book Box subscription kit. First time trying this small company, and this was the first book I got. I REALLY hope the next 5 books are better. I mean, they have to be!

First off, WHEN is this book set? 1900’s, 1890’s? 1910’s? Electricity was around, and Hawaii was a territory so that means at least 1890. (Had to Google that.) The book is written in such a
Christine Hazel Murphy
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Vida Hazzard dazzles in every ballroom she steps foot in, much to the delight of gossip columnists and the chagrin of her parents. A young woman that knows what she wants, who isn't afraid of a little impropriety, and who loves a challenge, Vida finds herself chasing down the most eligible, adventurous bachelor she meets: Fitzhugh Farrar. When the two meet up on the maiden voyage of one of Fitz's ships, disaster threatens to undo all of Vida's carefully laid plans.

Overall, I'd give this book a 3
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Let me preface this by saying that Godbersen's The Luxe series is one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Thus, each time she releases a new book, I read it, hoping for that some combination of high society intrigue, sumptuous settings and dresses, shocking twists, and drah-mah.

This isn't that.

Vida is a decent protagonist, though. She's a social climbing wild child, and she's good at getting what she wants until she finally gets caught and her reputation may be ruined.

To fix things, she needs to ma
Kim McGee
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vida is a debutante with a lust for life, parties and adventure so when she and her parents book passage on the maiden voyage of a ship owned by the family whose son she is trying to snag as a husband, she is all in. Things don't go according to plan and some of the blue noses from the East Coast are not thrilled with her intentions but she has perseverance and charm on her side. An accident forces them to abandon ship and they find themselves on a deserted island. Ball gowns and knowing which f ...more
Alanna ❦
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: signed-copy
Here’s the thing. I got this book in a book subscription box, but if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have read this book. But before I start my review, let me just say I have nothing against this book, it’s simply not for me.

In the book, we follow Vida Hazzard, a young woman who is about to journey the Pacific on the SS Princess, while in the middle of a love triangle with Fitz, a popular young man and Sal, a rough around the edges man, who happens to be Fitz’s friend.

To me, the above paragraph doesn’t ex
Zoey Perrigo
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, popsugar2020
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The book is a mix between the story of the Titanic and the show Lost. I would say it's pretty slow moving. The island portions of the book dragged on and it started to get pretty predictable. Vida was a great main character, but her arc wasn't anything extraordinary. In the time period of the book, she was extraordinary. However, it felt very typical of a historical fiction romance. The love triangle of the story was also pretty pr
Ayesha
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Beautiful Wild is a mix between the Titanic and Lost and although it wasn't a bad story, if anything it was heart warming of how those of privilege are humbled by a situation that made them walk the shoes of the normal class.

Vida is someone who has had everything on a platter and she has to learn somewhat slowly that this is no way to live, she desires freedom but at the same time she cant find it in her current lifestyle. Beautiful Wild was a nice story although it was a little flat. I felt th
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre
  • Soulswift
  • This Eternity of Masks and Shadows
  • Tempting the Prince
  • Anna K: A Love Story (Anna K, #1)
  • Revenge of the Homecoming Queen (Aspen Brooks, #1)
  • 29 Dates
  • The Other Side of the Sky (The Other Side of the Sky, #1)
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Warmaidens (Gravemaidens, #2)
  • The Exiles
  • Glimpsed
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)
Anna Godbersen was born in Berkeley, California, and educated at Barnard College. She currently lives in Brooklyn with her husband.

News & Interviews