Start by marking “Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)” as Want to Read:
Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)

Rosetta

(Star Trek: Enterprise #9)

On the edge of uncharted space, can linguist Ensign Hoshi Sato use her skills to decipher an alien language? Communication is the only way to avert the threat of war?
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published February 2006 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Rosetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosetta

Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A fairly good Hoshi story.
Tony
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Not a bad read, though I think the story comes up a little short when you compare it to the previous installment, Daedalus and Daedalus' Children. I like that this story focuses on a lot of the other crew and the big three (Archer, Trip and T'Pol) take a backseat. Though Archer does pull off some heroics towards the end.

Hoshi does play a bigger role here. The book explores her background just a little bit and does not deviate far from the TV show. The most interesting part is how the author wea
Jason Vargo
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Hoshi wasn't the deepest or most interesting character on Enterprise, so any novel which features her is going to be a bit problematic. Rosetta is all about Hoshi trying to sort out the "puzzle of the week" with some aliens, while Trip and the Enterprise deal with standard mealy-mouthed admirals and Archer does his best Kirk impression.

The first quarter of Rosetta goes by at a glacial pace. It sets up the new worlds, aliens and the situation, but it is a hard slog to get through. Once the action
Chris
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!!

I know Enterprise may not be the most popular Star Trek series but I love everything Trek and feel this book was an excellent continuation of the show I really enjoyed. I haven’t seen Dave Stern’s name in a long time but I hope he writes more Star Trek novels because this one was really good!!!
Jennifer Busick
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I really liked this book; I like Hoshi, and would have enjoyed seeing her get more screen time and character development in the show. This book is fun because it's Enterprise, and it works on its own merits as a SF novel.
Apostolos
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad story - plus brownie points for some contemporary linguistics peppered in. That said, it felt a bit slow to begin (so much so that I lost the plot a bit while listening to it via TTS)
Kristina Brown
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This book lets Hoshi, Travis and Malcolm take the focus of the story. It demonstrates their dedication, not simply to their duty but following their own consciences. There is also a sense of the limitations they often face within their service and how far they're willing to push those.
There is action but this is a story about brains over brawn.
David King
I think this book is probably the longest Enterprise novel I have read which has enabled Dave Stern to create quite an involved story with a fair few things going on. However, the rather wordy narrative does result in the book being quite slow paced and I found myself getting bogged down at a few points although it never got bad enough that I felt the need to put the book down.

The story itself is based around the actions of a mysterious race of beings known as the Antianna that have been attacki
Tabitha
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hoshi is one of my favorite humanoid characters from Enterprise (Porthos is my favorite over-all) so I was really excited to find a book that focused on her. The storyline was interesting and well written. The main thing I disliked is the lack of Porthos in the story. Especially, since it doesn't focus solely on Hoshi and there are parts where I was wondering what the adorable beagle was up to in concerns with events in the story (sorry for the vagueness, but didn't want to give spoilers for a b ...more
Angela
The Enterprise is attacked by an unknown race with a very hard language to decipher. A planet nearby has also had their ships attacked and the Enterprise visits it to share information. an intriguing storyline and the new races are well described. This is Hoshi's story about her internal battle to solve a problem against huge odds. A good read.
Joseph Barnes
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't even manage to finish the book. It dragged on and on. Not very much action and no real surprises here. I guess if you are interested in Hoshi's character...read on...If you are like me and don't really find her character interesting....don't read.
Jana Babáčková
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Story is not a surprise, but character descriptions are great, they are almost in front of you... Available in English only, but not so difficult as others and who likes Hoshi Sato with all her strengths & weaknesses, go and read it.
Douglas
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
eh.
Michelle
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Heehee, this is actually a tie-in novel for Star Trek Enterprise...that's all I have to say about this book.
Steve
Dec 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Boring
Jill
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story in the Star Trek tradition.
Jason
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, my-library
Not the best one I've ever read. Kinda disappointed.
Adam Cross
Sabriel Mastin
Dec 08, 2016
Richard
Jan 19, 2018
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #1)
  • Ghost Dance (Star Trek: Voyager, #20; Dark Matters, #2)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Serpents Among the Ruins (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2311)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: A Time to... #6)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #2)
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
Dave Stern has written/edited/collaborated on multiple previous works of Star Trek fiction, as well as the New York Times-bestselling biography Crosley. He lives in a creepy old house on a hill in Massachusetts, kept company by his family and a lawn of immense and ever-growing size.

Star Trek: Enterprise (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Daedalus (Star Trek: Enterprise #7)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)