Start by marking “The Five-Year Plan” as Want to Read:
The Five-Year Plan

The Five-Year Plan

Two people. One epic love story. What if?

Pre-order the fun and heartwarming romance from the bestselling author of Marry Me Tomorrow

Orla is a trainee reporter with a five-year plan: work her way up the career ladder, move to London and secure a job on a big national newspaper. She doesnt want a boyfriend, hes only going to hold her back anyway.

Aiden spends his life

Kindle Edition
Published March 20th 2020 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Five-Year Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five-Year Plan

Start your review of The Five-Year Plan
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
-3.5- ⭐

FTCL

***ARC provided via NetGalley.
Kirsty
Feb 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Special thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

He's a wildlife photographer, she sprains her ankle trying to interview him, he takes care of her, they become really good friends, have the most boring and shortest sex I have ever read in my life, he peaces out cause he's a traveling photographer, Orla can't go cause she's too focused on her journalism career, and he comes back five years later. That's literally the entire book.

The whole reason Orla
sophie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This book was interesting, or at least the introduction and the first chapter was.

The first chapter was in the present, it really drew me in and i wanted to keep reading more and more, but then when that chapter ended on a cliffhanger and we got a long recap about their entire relationship. I', going to be honest, i was absolutely NOT interested in their past.

I thought we would be getting like 1 chapter in the past but this went on for quite a few chapters, i was really not interested in their
Megan
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing extraordinary about this one and yet I really enjoyed it! It's a very relationship driven story. By that I mean, you've got a lot of one on one time between characters but not much actually happens other than relationship building!

I loved how two strangers become so close in such a short amount of time, it didn't feel fake or unrealistic at all to me. That alone takes good writing! And both Orla and Aidan were great characters!

I also learned some stuff about otters... Who
Thelma
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Five-year plan 3.5 stars it was a book that I really wanted to read, the Blurb caught my eye, the description sounded promising but as soon as I started reading the first pages, I started to feel like something was missing. Everything was there to make this book an amazing read but I felt like it was liking of depth.. The dialogs were too quick and the situations and scenarios change also very quickly, I had a little difficult time identifying when the dialogs change from character to ...more
Albertina
A quick, cute read!
Orla meets Aiden when shes out to interview him about otters hes photographing. What follows is a love that cant be forgotten even after five years time has passed.

I found the first couple of chapters captivating, and I couldnt wait to see what would happen next. I read eagerly on and kept wondering if guys like Aiden actually exist. He was very honest and open about his feelings, sometimes it felt slightly stalker-ish as he had just met Orla but kept showing up at her house
Donna Hines
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
What happens when you're not in it to win it but win it anyway?
Ahhh! Orla doesn't want a man, she's content in her workplace, but the universe may have other plans for these two who are sending out mixed signals.
Orla and Aiden are our the two team tango with a twist of professional and personal touches mixed in this romantic interlude.
What can one say other than it's an interesting chemistry and a backstory that begins with a professional reporter and a misfit living in a tent helping animals.
Zee Monodee
Loved the first chapter, and the end/epilogue redeemed what was a pretty hum-drum and so-so story throughout. It dragged in many places and what was said could've been said in half the words and episodes, but it carries along okay and can be enjoyed on a free afternoon
Charlotte Tito
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Special thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, HQ Digital, for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

Oh boy.

I would have loved to start my blog with a glowing, amazing review but c'est la vie. First, let me tell you what this is all about. There may be spoilers below so be warned.

Summary:
Orla Kennedy receives an invitation to an art gallery showcasing her wildlife photographer ex-boyfriend Aiden Byrne. Aiden has achieved worldwide and household name success (WHAT?) as a wildlife
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
4.5 Stars

With everything going on in the world because of covid-19, I really needed something light and fun to turn my frown upside down, and this book certainly did that! I loved reading about Orla and Aiden meeting, becoming friends and turning into lovers. This was such a refreshing change of pace.

The Five-Year Plan was an interesting and emotional read. It had a lead woman character, unlike most that star in the books I read, that was very independent, strong, organized and driven logic and
Dakota
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this through Netgalley. I wanted a lighter read in preparation for Crescent City and this was perfect. A light romance. Not a new favorite author or anything to be honest but it was light and had an interesting premise.
I enjoyed Aiden's love for wildlife and conservation and Orla's drive towards her career and goals. Of course there was the frustrating back and forth that all romances have where one party doesn't just out and talk about their thoughts or feelings pertaining to the
Shannon Moore
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zilpha Owens
The synopsis for The Five-Year Plan caught my eye. Unfortunately, it just didnt live up to my expectations. Aiden Byrne and Orla Kennedy had their moments but often I found them to seem much younger than the ages they represented. Aiden could be pretty persistent and Orla very stubborn. I get that they had their goals but there never seemed to be room for compromise.

The first chapter is great, ending on sort of a cliffhanger then delving into their past but many chapters later, with far too
A Girl Turning Pages
This is such a sweet read!
I really fell in love with every single character and got so invested in Aiden and Orla's relationship. It was like a modern-day fairytale.
Now, I have read a lot of reviews that dont think the same as me, but I honestly loved everything about this book, everything just fell together evolving into a beautiful love story. It made me smile, chuckle and even shred a little tear (I dont usually do this so might have been hormones haha). But all in all, if you want to feel
LianaReads blog

While I liked the development of each character and the story overall, there are many moments and things in the book that I couldnt overlook and it bothered me a lot.
Im all for make your life as you want and live it at its fullest potential but somehow I got annoyed with both characters at times. He seems a bit to entitled to decide their future without actually considering her options and what she really wants for herself and at other times I think she was more of a doormat and accepted him
Cassandra
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley for the wonderful e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Okay I REALLY enjoyed this. I went in a little skeptical because the reviews weren't promising but I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love a good second chance romance and this was exactly that. Aiden and Orla lose touch after a whirlwind romance and find each other, five years later, and it is unclear how they or IF they should move forward or accept that their time has come and gone.

I loved watching
Ashelee Gerald
TBH, I need to stop "hate-reading" books and just put things down when I lose interest. Anyways, thanks Netgalley for the eARC. This book had a lot of potential. The first chapter was really interesting - it started in the present and ended on a cliffhanger then spent several (several too many) chapters in the past., The overall relationship - which was really a fling that ended on good terms (in the sense that there was no animosity between the two when they first parted ways) - was just sort ...more
Kim Harris
I was very intrigued to read this books after reading the description.
I felt that it was hard to read at times because it went from being present to 5 years in the past. The past than dragged on for a very long time. It was very hard to continute to read during this time but the first chapter was amazing.

I was provided this book by netgalley for an honest opinion.
Becka
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Carla Burgess! I love how she writes every emotion into her stories, how I feel like I know the characters and I am invested in their happy ending.
Yet again, another perfect book by one of my fave contemporary authors! Can't wait for the next!
Alondra
Feb 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30%

I rarely dnf books but this is just so boring. This is a second chance book about an unusal couple, a wild life photographer and activist, and a journalist. The story is told in two time lines, before de separation and one in the second chance. The thing is... its juts so boring and the romance is unbelievable, the male love interest is so condescending and treats her like a kid (which she realices and kind of doesn't care).

I don't know how to explain this... just. I didn't really
Lara
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
I have read this author before and enjoyed myself immensely, so when I had a chance at an ARC for this book I jumped at it. Sadly, it didn't grab me the way the other two did.

The author seems to delight in starting the book in Present day to build suspense: lovers torn apart! Forced to face each other after years apart, what will happen next?! The build-up! The tension!

Cut to the past.

Okay, sure. I get it. You want to grab the reader's attention straight away. However, repeatedly doing this
Alisha Eadle
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of The Five Year Plan by Carla Burgess, via #NetGalley, in order to provide an honest review. I was drawn to this book because the cover is catchy, and not cheesy, which I find most romances are. The description sucked in my in, and I am so happy I was able to read it.

The Five Year Plan begins in present time, with Orla, and reporter for a big London newspaper, brings her trainee reporter with her to Aiden Byrnes exhibit. We find out that Orla and Aiden hadn't seen each
Tessa
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Loved the premise of The Five-Year Plan, but I couldn't really connect with these characters, and I think it's largely in part to the dialogue and Orla's POV. The characters don't sound like they are working people in their 20s and 30s - they sound much more childish than that.

The story also starts in the present for a little bit but then spent way too much time in the past, way more than just your usual flashback. Maybe if the book had started in the past, then worked up to the present instead
Verity W
Kimberly Kowalski
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

I loved the slow burn build up friendship to romance in the flashback (which for reference is about half the book). Watching Aiden and Orla go from total strangers to tentative friendship, to strong friendship, crush, and beyond was deeply satisfying. I detest insta-love and Orla (who's perspective this novel is written from) certainly does not suffer from the trope. With one glaring exception (the abrupt and less than romantically discussed transition from platonic friendship to
Sowmya (bookishelflife)

Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for sending me an ARC in exchange of my honest opinion.

The Five Year plan is an adult fiction though I think it can be safely labelled as YA,I think it mostly falls under second chance romance and a little bit under friends with benefits troupe.This is my first read from the author and while it isn't smashing I found that it fairly kept my interest to the very end, in all honesty I do not dig friends with benefits idea which is why I felt annoyed at
Alex Mason
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review & opinion.

The Five Year Plan introduces us to Orla, an aspiring journalist who has a 5 year plan to achieve and nothing will get in her way to working her dream job and living in the big city of London. Enter Aiden - the subject of her first solo interview - a nature loving traveler who lives in a tent and never stays in one place for too long. Neither want a relationship, yet they find themselves enjoying each others company
BookishlyNomes

The Five-Year Plan was a fairly cute story. I've been really loving the whole missed connections and second chance tropes lately and when I read that this story was about two people meeting and trying to hold off on falling in love with each other for five years as they get their careers sorted, I got very excited. It's a wonderful storyline but unfortunately the story's execution didn't quite get there for me.

The story begins in the present with the two characters meeting again after
Eva
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have so many thoughts on this book. Its a story about a young woman named Orla (a name that rubbed me the wrong way the entire book-it just sounded so unfeminine and not suited to the character), a young reporter living in a small town. She meets Aiden, a travel photographer while doing a story. The two develop a friendship over a short period of time, until the story picks up 5 years later.

I really liked this book at the beginning and was excited to read it. But it just went on and on and
Purple Lorikeet
Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital for sharing and ARC in exchange of a fair review.

Orla is a trainee reporter doing her first independent interview for her newspaper when she meets Adrien, a wildlife photographer who is currently staking out otters. They become fast friends and then more. But neither of them started out wanting a relationship and have firm plans for the immediate future. Adrien goes away and both their lives carry on until five years later when they meet again.

This is one

• The Man I Loved Before
  • Dear Emmie Blue
  • Just As You Are
  • In Five Years
  • Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4)
  • Fire Falling (Air Awakens, #2)
  • Power Prayers for Boys
  • Carolina Breeze (Bluebell Inn Romance, #2)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Woods
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • A Father's Daughter