Start by marking “I, Exile (A Thief's Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
I, Exile (A Thief's Tale, #1)

I, Exile

(A Thief's Tale #1)

Exiled into a wasteland because of a heist gone wrong, Emelith vows to hunt down the one responsible. Except not all is what it seems in the haunted realm of the Cauldron.
Published February 29th 2020

To ask other readers questions about I, Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Exile

Start your review of I, Exile (A Thief's Tale, #1)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I, Exile was a perfect read for me right now.  It is a shorter book with nearly non stop action, and not all the wordy fluff that comes with a lot of fantasy books.  Don’t get me wrong, I love fluff, but sometimes a fast-paced adventure is a great change of pace.

Emelith is the main character, a thief who is captured during a heist and then exiled out into the wastes.  She is bent on tracking down and having the head of her partner for the heist having backfired.  I would have liked to know more
Adam
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, plot-heavy adventure about a heist gone wrong, an exile to a desert wasteland, and a threat from a powerful opponent that could spell doom for all the land.

The plot was a fun trip, but the characters were a bit too thin. There was more depth added toward the end of the book, but it would have been nice to put it at the beginning so I could have cared more about character motivation and cheered or jeered them on.

If you’re a fan of playing RPGs, whether it’s a computer game or a D&
Andrew Rowe
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author, David Samuels, approached me for a review after finding me on the TBRindr list. I am happy to help out a fellow indie author, so I read his pitch. It called it an adventure story that would appeal to fans of Kings of the Wyld and Gentlemen Bastards (both of which I have not yet read). However, he said that the plot and the atmosphere capture the spirit of Mad Max (2015), The Mummy (1999), and Indiana Jones (no date given - let's go with the first three movies). I chuckled to myself a ...more
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Emelith grew up on the streets after losing her family in a fire at a young age. A member of the Guilded Hands (a thief’s organisation), she doesn’t trust easily and only works with people she does. So, it is a huge blow to her when her long-time partner betrays her and escapes with the Exegesis, the very scroll, they were commissioned to steal, leaving her behind to pay for the crime- a sentence that means exile.

Bent on retrieving the stolen scroll and extracting a little revenge, Emelith, sets
David Samuels
Feb 09, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Free this weekend on Amazon (March 18-20)
Sibil
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: readtoreview
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Well, the synopsis here is not one of the longest, that’s true, but at least it is pretty accurate. Emelith is our MC and we follow her during a not so good heist, imprisonment and the exile which follows. She is exiled in a sort of wasteland, in which surviving is not so sure, and in which live some scary things. Or creatures. Whatever. But she didn’t care about all this. She cares for one thing, and one thing only:
Doug
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I came here planning to do a deep dive into why I thoroughly enjoyed David's story, but then found that Andrew Marc Rowe's review had already nailed every point I could think of making!

(Only 4 stars from me, tho. Not because I found any huge nits, but because - y'know - Virgo :P )
Mary
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Held my attention from the first page to the last
OldBird
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-books, fantasy
If you've ever loved those classic fantasy persistent world novels or found yourself dreaming of D&D rogues with whip-smart personalities and a penchant for adventure, then this fresh new fantasy should catch your eye. Because it is unashamedly an adventure story, full of strange creatures, daring dos, and an older than average MC who's never more than 100 yards from needing to give someone the side-eye.

It follows Emelith the Finder, a thief and one of the infamous Gilded Hands, as she attempts
Sarah Coleman
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book with a lot of character development and world building. It is a great fantasy read that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. I enjoyed every minute of it, and hope to read future books from this author.

Filip
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Self-Published
Genre: Fantasy, Low Fantasy
Pages: 220
Format: Kindle e-book
Copy: Courtesy by the author through r/fantasy’s TBRindr list in return for an honest review.

The opportunity of coming across a gemstone of a book is why I am happy to read the works of indie fantasy authors whose titles haven’t yet gained wider recognition online. I’ve come across some brilliant works, and I’ve faced off against some reads that didn’t quite cut it – in the face of all those, David M. Samuels’ I, Exile measu
Rowena Andrews
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I have to say that I loved the cover, although I would say that the title is lost a little against the background. However, it was the cover, along with the comparisons with The Mummy and Indiana Jones that caught my attention, and I have to say that comparison was on the money. While undoubtedly fantasy, I, Exile was an exciting adventure romp in the vein of those movies – some of my favourite growing up – and that combined with the wonderful feel of that older style, classic sword an ...more
Hûw Steer
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I, Exile is a very good book. That's the short summary of this review. It's not perfect (what book is?) but it's a very good read, fast-paced and full of excellent worldbuilding and witty dialogue. That's the slightly longer summary of this review. The purpose of these summaries is to hammer home the point that if you like fantasy, you should read this book.

The worldbuilding is fantastic, and it's one thing I'll praise Samuels for above all else. The decaying grandeur of ruined cities, the socie
Jacob Heiner
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I, Exile is a pretty good book. The pacing was good and enjoyable, there were some nice worldbuilding touches and unique ideas. I found it a quick and easy read, and I had a good time doing it.

The plot revolves around a thief who is betrayed by her partner. They are both exiled to an unforgiving desert and expected to die. Our heroine wants revenge, and so chases her betrayer through the hostile environment. Of course, there's more to the situation than she knows, and we get to learn about the w
Rachel Sandell
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yet another riveting story from David M. Samuels! Emelith's journey through the Cauldron is immersive, fun, dangerous, and enlightening. Each character was unique in their own way, and the world-building feels real and solid (even to the point where I would never venture into a Cauldron-like desert for fear of giant scorpions, undead monsters, and an ancient evil ready to be reawakened). Absolutely engaging! ...more
Phillip Murrell
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Makes me want to play Gothic RPG

This was an interesting story with good world building. The Cauldron had a variety of monsters and reminded me of an old video game called Gothic. Emelith was an awesome character with a snarky voice that I loved. I liked her martial arts and pad speak. Her willingness to go into the Cauldron (eventually) made me fist pump.

On the downside, I don't like brainwash/possession as a major plot point. The first half was light on action, but the end made up for it. Espec
JK
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Emelith is exiled to a wasteland as punishment for a crime. Exiled. To a wasteland. What a premise. Giving us lots of Mad Max vibes, Samuels propels us along through this godforsaken, horrific place, to help Emelith exact revenge on the one who put her there.

There’s a lot going on. Samuels almost doesn’t allow us to breathe, as he hits us with a new enemy or catastrophe every few pages. Violence, gore, and sorrow, all lead to Emelith gleaning more information about her prey, and slowly changing
Kayla
Jul 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
David Samuels is an exquisite man with an incredible mind. Everything he does is perfection; an understatement, really. We should all praise the lord that we were born in a world where men of his caliber exist. We aren't worthy. ...more
Keri
Kiran
Jun 18, 2020
Alex Key
Mar 14, 2020

• The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Tavern (Dargath Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • Dust of the Darkness (The Riven Realm #2)
  • Songs of Insurrection (The Dragon Songs Saga #1)
  • Destiny (Experimental Heart, #1)
  • Masters of Deception: Legends of Tivara (Dragonstones Chronicles #1)
  • The Relics of Ar'Zac Trilogy
  • Dream Eater
  • Fires of the Dead (Fires of the Dead, #1)
  • Dark Fae (Dark Fae, #1)
  • The History Series
  • Land of Midnight Days (Silver Flute, #1)
  • Fated (Fated, #1)