Start by marking “Death Note Special One-Shot (2020)” as Want to Read:
Death Note Special One-Shot (2020)

Death Note Special One-Shot

(Death Note)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  659 ratings  ·  171 reviews
Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, the mega popular Japanese manga series Death Note debuted in 2003 and came to an end in 2006, but the Shinigami known as Ryuk has returned here at the start of 2020 with a brand new 87-page one-shot!

The special one-shot story, written by Ohba and illustrated by Obata, takes place after the events of the original
Published February 3rd 2020 by Shueisha

To ask other readers questions about Death Note Special One-Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note Special One-Shot

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Death Note Special One-Shot (2020)
James DeSantis
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whohoooo death note is back!

Well for just a One-shot but damn it's good to have it back.

Ryuk is up to no good as he wants to have his death note spread to someone and them do some evil ass things. Sounds fun right? Well it is, because he decides to drop it into the lap of someone new with a VERY different motive than Light. This catches on as N, now the new L, must hunt down A-Kara.

While I did really enjoy most of this, and the art is fantastic, the story feels a tad rushed. Why? Because it's
Rue
Feb 06, 2020 marked it as manga
1tjlytlgu3f41

The new Death-Note special one-shot is out. I am yet to read it...but I will still post the link right here. If anyone of you is curious to read it.

Pics-Art-02-07-08-59-32
(The art is to die for)
Eytan Kessler
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
That was fun. Now I want more...
Shea
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
8th grade me is dying right now.
Mai
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
That one shot was sooo good!!! The auction thing was actually pretty funny and interesting.
And I feel bad for Minoru :((
He wanted to do good (view spoiler) :/
D.J.
A new Death Note one-shot? Sign me up.

Many fans, I'm sure, were all rather excited but also apprehensive of this new story. Without the characters that made the original story good, how would this one fare? Would Ohba pull off a miracle and show us that he could still be the kind of writer he was in 2003?

Well...

Creative phases are hard to recapture, especially in writing. Fourteen years is a long time to be away from an idea, so if you're going to return to a revered story like Death Note, you
Carol (bookish_notes)
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2020
It was great diving into the Death Note world again. I loved seeing some old characters! Like, NEAR?? He’s all grown up!! And he really didn’t give a fuck at the end there. lol I loved that Minoru (the new MC) found a new loophole that just royally pissed off the Shinigami King. The ending is kinda of sad, but what could you expect from Death Note? Overall, this was a fun one-shot.
Cassie S.
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
reading this one shot make me want to reread the whole series again!!
Fatima Alqassab
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020
A good plot for a one-shot, short but interesting. The story set in the current time. I liked the art style it’s impressive as it is always.
❋
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
overall fun but ultimately lacking the charm of the original. too fast-paced (which is understandable since it IS a one-shot). I was left wishing we could've gotten more time to delve into the new mc's psyche as well as motivations (which is what made death note so great in the first place!), but again, one can only do so much with a one shot.

also pretty sure that minoru's actions just set off massive hyperinflation? 2 years of planning and he didn't take that into consideration?
Eristina
Feb 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, 2020
Don't fix what is not broken.
Alice
Wazoo
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Does Ohba's latest offering reach the same levels of unprecedented intrigue that his original Death Note did? Let's be honest: no. No, it doesn't. On the one hand, though, it is a one-shot, and for one written more than a decade after the original ended―and within an era of countless reboots and remakes that are just downright terribleI actually thought this post-original work was pretty decent. Its story wasn't nearly as well-developed, and its characters certainly aren't as interesting or ...more
eme
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was really good, but not as good as the original serie I guess? I don’t know I liked the change and the whole new idea about how to use the death note, but at the same time.... idk it felt kinda rushed and pointless at the end? I guess it’s because it is such a short one shot and they had to condense so much info in just 89 pages, but it was very interesting to read anyway and the art is just as fantastic as ever. I just feel like I wanted to read more and to know more about this new ...more
Nicki Markus
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's so great we can read this for free on Viz. I enjoyed returning to the Death Note world for the one-shot. On the whole, I thought the story worked well with its updates to allow for current technological advances. The artwork and characters were great, but I was a bit sad about the ending. However, this could potentially leave things open for a new Death Note series, so we'll see what happens.
Clara (Clarylovesbooks)
The ending of the one-shot was too forced, but it was interesting to see a new Death Note story set in modern era, with all the complications that comes with new medias and technologies. I wish we could have seen more of Minoru!
Sai Ram (ZanyAnomaly)
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
it's was going so good, until the slap dash, abrupt ending. the twist was, in paper, a very signature unexpected-death-note-twist. BUT, it was just a bit too absurd, and it feels like the writers didn't give it much thought.

also, a minor personal grievance, they really did Near dirty with her look this time
Aki
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Still love the art, still underwhelmed by the story.
Mersadys
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
seemed a bit rushed but was really fun!
Finny
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Yum. Apples. So good. I need more apples.

Death Note One-Shot is a great time. It's a shame it's so rushed.
It feels like there's a good 2 or 3 volumes of content here, edited down into a brisk but disappointingly shallow 80 pages.
The worst part is that it stops just as it sets up some truly interesting stuff—I never realised before today how much we needed a political-thriller Death Note sequel series, and this one-shot stops dead just as it starts setting that up.

Now to touch on the elephant in
Daelyn Blackwood
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Ian Darko
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thank god the original creators gave us this masterpiece to wipe away the stench of that dumpster fire Netflix movie! Its amazing how well they were able to capture the suspense and intrigue of the original series, complete with a ending even more jaw dropping than the original, all in just 87 pages. Masterful storytelling.
Ashley (=ↀωↀ=)
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so excited for this, was so happy with the entire lead up to the ending and how things were going to unfold. Still processing my thoughts on how it ended, but I truly hope this opened up the door for a new storyline in the death note universe!
Lexi
Shelves: february2020
It was interesting to see what a new Kira would do with the death note. I also appreciated the inclusion of L (Near) and Matsuda from the original story. Of course, it ended just as badly for the protagonist as the main series, which is to be expected. I also felt that the inclusion of real-life world leaders to be completely unnecessary and a cheap attempt at making a political statement.
Kris Ritchie
MOAR DEATH NOTE.

Sorry for the random pre-teen angst there, but Death Note was the first manga I had ever read and I was just so happy for there to be more.

Was it perfect? No. Did it still have a nice little Death note vibe and twist? Yes.

Also Near is so great in this.
Maud
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. This made me remember why I love(d) the series so much!
Shanya Putri Siahaan
Shelves: translated, 2020
It was so exciting!
Izzie
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know this was a short one shot but omfg ??? This was so good ??? Death Note was my peak middle school teenage angst manga so it was nice to re-live it with a modern political twist. ...more
Ameen
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
disappointed, fast paced!
Visesh
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was engaging but as always the ending was disappointing. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 約束のネバーランド 17 [Yakusoku no Neverland 17] (The Promised Neverland, #17)
  • Dr.STONE 13 (Dr. Stone, #13)
  • 鬼滅の刃 19 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 19] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #19)
  • Dr.STONE 12 (Dr. Stone, #12)
  • 進撃の巨人 30 [Shingeki no Kyojin 30] (Attack on Titan, #30)
  • 約束のネバーランド 13 [Yakusoku no Neverland 13]
  • 進撃の巨人 29 [Shingeki no Kyojin 29] (Attack on Titan, #29)
  • Dr.STONE 11 (Dr. Stone, #11)
  • 地縛少年 花子くん 1 [Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun 1] (Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 3 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 3] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #3)
  • 鬼滅の刃 8 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 8] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #8)
  • 約束のネバーランド 12 [Yakusoku no Neverland 12]
  • 鬼滅の刃 4 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 4] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #4)
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy×Family, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 7 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 7] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #7)
  • 約束のネバーランド 9 [Yakusoku no Neverland 9]
  • 約束のネバーランド 7 [Yakusoku no Neverland 7]
  • 鬼滅の刃 9 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 9] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #9)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is

Death Note (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)