Start by marking “The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume I” as Want to Read:

The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume I (The Rise of Network Society #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  702 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This book, the first in Castells' ground-breaking trilogy, is an account of the economic and social dynamics of the new age of information. Based on research in the USA, Asia, Latin America, and Europe, it aims to formulate a systematic theory of the information society which takes account of the fundamental effects of information technology on the contemporary world.
Published August 15th 2000 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of the Network Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of the Network Society

Freakonomics by Steven D. LevittOutliers by Malcolm GladwellThe Tipping Point by Malcolm GladwellNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichBlink by Malcolm Gladwell
Sociology Books
429 books — 327 voters
The Republic by PlatoCritique of Pure Reason by Immanuel KantThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliMetaphysics by AristotleThe Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas S. Kuhn
Knowledge
179 books — 136 voters

More lists with this book...

Hadrian
The Rise of the Network Society is the first part of a three-volume work on sociology. It was first published in the late 1990s, and the second edition was published in 2010. Within those past twenty years, these books have become some of the most cited in modern sociology and communications theory.

Castells attempts to define and analyze the radical changes within society since 1970. What does he include as part of this radical change? This includes, but is not limited to redefinition of the per
Nikolay Mollov
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very, very serious anthropological book! Contains genealogy and the reasons for the successes and failures of different cultures at different times in technological development, which outlines how we got into the current situation. Castells examines the historical emergence of new forms of social interaction, experience, production, power and control, and what is behind it all reaching the 21st century.
Joseph
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this for a class assignment. A lot of it is a useful historical review of world economic and technological trends and events from the 70s to the 90s, charting the rise of "network enterprises" as the key units of the new global economy. His main points are on the consequences of these changes, for example that the processes of innovation are marginalizing large sections of the global population, and that there is a growing antithesis between the Net and the Self leading to the rise o ...more
Harris
The three volumes that this book is a part of ate staggering in scope and often penetrating in analysis. Castells' theory of flow is groundbreaking and provides a framework for an entirely new direction in communication theory, the political economy of mediated communication, and the politics of information and culture.

One critique of these three volumes is that there are moments in all three books where Castells becomes nostalgic for a so-called authentic urban space and culture that is highly
Andrew
Working in the vein of David Harvey, Castells manages to put together a wise, all-encompassing analysis, linking the "network" processes of space, time, and capital. Despite its broad scope, Castells manages to avoid heavy generalization, instead showing us how any oddities and exceptions are firmly ingrained in the network. Good for anyone interested in the state of modern society.
Gytis Dovydaitis
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic, favorites
The most comprehensive sociological research on our current state of society I had ever delved into. It's a deep and intricate intellectual journey through every corner of the world, culminating with a complete redefinition of fundamental aspects of our reality - space and time. First and foremost, Castells gives his main emphasis on empirical knowledge, thus this book is swelling due to long statistical observations, what comes as a two sided coin: this book has an enormous scientific value, al ...more
Bart
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exhaustive and pedantic tome that moves somewhat unpredictably between dryasdust academic nervousness - names and dates and light axegrinding - and genuinely original imaginings of how time and space might be reconciled.

This insight about postmodern architecture stands as a fine example of what this book offers:

The more that societies try to recover their identity beyond the global logic of uncontrolled power of flows, the more they need an architecture that exposes their own reality, without
Rodrigo Antônio
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Uma visão abrangente de nossa sociedade. O autor apresenta argumentos onde procura descrever as consequências geradasb pelo advento da tecnologia no dia a dia das pessoas e das empresas. Ao seu ver o advento da tecnologia não aconteceu em função do capital, o que houve foi a adaptação do capitalismo as novas formas de tecnologia. Sua visão sobre o mercado do trabalho e o modo de produção, cita a obra de Schumpeter e faz alusão a uma massificação tecnológica acompanhada de uma crescente extratifi ...more
Jack
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-science
A massive, boundary-spanning, all-encompassing work of social theory attempting to reformulate the way we live now. It's a big book, but full of interesting tid-bits -- a more massive companion to Jerry Davis' Managed by the Markets: How Finance Has Re-Shaped America. Castells does not wear his learning lightly, but he has a lot of it.

Hopefully, I'll sit down and write massive review it deserves soon.
Terri Lynn
What did I think? Not much. I had to read this for a graduate school seminar and had to keep slapping myself awake. The author takes hundreds of pages to say nothing other than the information age (internet, computers, social networks, etc) has changed our lives and globalized much of the world. He could have said that in one sentence rather than page after page of drivel written in what he thinks is impressive academic language but really isn't.
Cid Medeiros
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A dark and prophetic analysis over the informational society. The author brilliantly describes the modus operandi of the deep and intricate changes our globalized world faces through the rapid movements the network imposes along the development of information technologies. A must read to grasp what might be going on right now.
Silvia Romano
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
De consulta obligada si estás investigando temas relacionados con las nuevas tecnologías pero no me convence del todo. Hay un par de ideas interesantes pero el resto es repetición de los mismo.
Creo que abarca demasiados temas sin profundizar demasiado.
Por alguna razón, esta trilogía ha sido un éxito. Puede que mi intelecto no sea capaz de captar toda la esencia de este libro.

Leonardo
Dec 28, 2015 marked it as to-keep-ref
Acerca de la empresa en red ver Manuel Castells, The Rise of the Network Society (Oxford: Blackwell, 1996), pp. 151-200.

Imperio Pág.223
Ilias
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second edition with the new preface is a must-read! Castells offers a concise insight on the mechanisms of our globalized world and provides a basis to explain the current political and financial incidents.
Mowena Glunch
Dec 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
Pompous. Terrible. Castells has perfected the art of saying next to nothing in the most overblown opaque possible. I can only hope series dies a rapid death.
Erin
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dry, academic, treatse on globalization in the world today. I had to read it for a Globalization class in grad school. I never really got it; the class or the book.
Noora
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tietokirjat
Osittain relevantti ja mielenkiintoinen tenttikirja, osittain se taas keskittyi liikaa talouteen ja työllisyyteen näin humanistin näkökulmasta.
Mary Karpel-Jergic
A dry academic book but it is littered with prescient insights. Dip into any section and there willbe stuff that resonates with what's going on today. A widely cited book and I can see why.
Bryan
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Indispensable.
Ciara
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it

Powerful in it's capacity to inform those of whom are interested in Society currently.
Carlos Raposo
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Castells oferece uma compreensão completa sobre as origens da Era da Informação.
Farid Ravaei
Ali Hedayati
Apr 11, 2013
Damini Kaia
Mar 26, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Different book or not? (Spanish librarian needed) 2 153 Sep 07, 2012 04:42AM
  • Spam: A Shadow History of the Internet
  • The Culture of the New Capitalism
  • Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution
  • The Language of New Media
  • Anthropology: The Exploration Of Human Diversity
  • The Theory of Communicative Action, Vol 1: Reason & the Rationalization of Society
  • The Coming of Post-Industrial Society: A Venture in Social Forecasting
  • Fans, Bloggers, and Gamers: Media Consumers in a Digital Age
  • An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology
  • Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire
  • The Production of Space
  • The Sociology of Philosophies: A Global Theory of Intellectual Change
Castells is a sociologist especially associated with information society and communication research.

The 2000–09 research survey of the Social Sciences Citation Index ranks him as the world’s fifth most-cited social science scholar, and the foremost-cited communication scholar.

A student radical, he fled from Spain to Paris in the early 1960s to escape from Francos fascist regime. In France he quick
More about Manuel Castells

The Rise of Network Society (3 books)
  • The Power of Identity: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume II
  • End of Millennium: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture , Volume III

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division