Start by marking “The Good Girls” as Want to Read:
The Good Girls

The Good Girls

The troublemaker. The overachiever. The cheer captain. The dead girl.

Like every high school in America, Jefferson-Lorne High contains all of the above.

After the shocking murder of senior Emma Baines, three of her classmates are at the top of the suspect list: Claude, the notorious partier; Avery, the head cheerleader; and Gwen, the would-be valedictorian.

Everyone has a lab
Published December 1st 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Good Girls, please sign up.
Marisahh No, they aren't very similar at all in my opinion…moreNo, they aren't very similar at all in my opinion(less)

Start your review of The Good Girls
daph pink ♡

My level of interest in writing a review for this book is at the same level as that of police in solving the case in this book. Zero

(Extra .25 stars for the cover.)

Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell
At this point, I would read anything this woman writes.

ANYTHING.
Ink&Paper
Why do mysteries keep disappointing me...? Don't get me wrong, the 2 stars are for the cover.
If you want to experience some cliché elements, you can read this book. There's nothing wrong about the writing, the problem lies in the whole plot. It talks about things that we have read over and over and over again.

No disrespect to the author, but this was disappointing...

Didn't work for me, but might work for you.
Alexa
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This is a solid 4.5 stars rounded up. More of a slow-burn, character driven suspense read than a breakneck, page-turning thriller, but I enjoyed the "mood" of the book a lot and enjoyed returning to the pages and sitting with the characters. In particular, I loved the small town Colorado feel; the town was vivid for me, as were the typical "types."

Where I think for some readers they might not be as sure-footed with this one is that it's in third person and it's multi-POV, with some chapters a bi
Stacey-Lea
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
The thing is, girls can tell. There’s a little voice in our heads that says get out, get out, but men spend years telling us to ignore it. To tell ourselves we’re wrong.

A lot of the discussions really stuck out to me in The Good Girls and I think it’s a great addition into the teen thriller genre. It’s unique in that it is far more character driven and has a much slower pace than what many of us are used to. However, the little twists that are sprinkled throughout will still keep you guessin
;3
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75

i am once again asking gr to give me HALF STAR OPTIONS
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
THE GOOD GIRLS is an interesting story with complex characters and beautiful word building. Sounds like a 4-5 star review, right? Not so much.

Reading THE GOOD GIRLS, despite all its positive attributes, felt like a chore. I kept picking up, then putting down the book. Claire Eliza Bartlett’s words are clever and engaging, the pacing however was dreadful.

While some of characters THE GOOD GIRLS were tropes, they also had a complexity and depth that made me want to root for them. I bet I’d enjoy a
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 3.5 Stars

I requested an ARC of The Good Girls because I really enjoyed The Winter Duke by Claire Eliza Bartlett. The Good Girls is completely different from The Winter Duke and not what I normally read, so I was a little nervous that I wouldn't like it. I picked it up because I needed a change of pace from my typical reads and I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The Good Girls was a fast paced YA thri
Marisa (literatelady)
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I started this one hoping for a page-turning thriller that would really draw me in which this is not. It's definitely more a slow build, which isn't bad, just made it a little boring overall. I also felt that the characters, especially the "bad guy" were very flat, surface level, and stereotypical. Unfortunately not my fave. ...more
Andy
I received this in my December 2020 Rainbow Crate Book Box as part of my rep agreement with RBC. All opinions are my own.

This was so freaking fun!! I'm definitely here for this kind of thriller. When Emma Baines is suspected of being murdered, three girls are at the top of the list: Claude, the notorious partier; Avery, the head cheerleader; and Gwen, the would-be valedictorian. But the truth is much more convoluted than these supposedly simple labels. Can the killer be found out before another
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS
2020; HarperTeen/HarperCollins

I enjoyed The Good Girls, but I think this book struggled between being a a great suspense mystery and being a social commentary on the culture of teens, rape, sex, pressure, etc. The characters are cliched, but it is meant to be that way to show that beneath the label, there is a lot more to people. I read in reviews that many found the pacing was slow. I listened to it on audio and in one shot, so maybe that's why I avoided that issue. Had I put it
Hunter
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow.
I kinda expected one of the biggest plot twists towards the middle, but the other ones were a complete shock until the information was given to us in pieces.
I loved the way it was written. There were article entries, diary entries, interviews, police reports, and a regular novel format. I'm a sucker for mixed media books.
Anyways, love this book.
Trigger Warnings: rape, sexual abuse, pedophila, eating disorders, suicide, abuse, underage drinking, and underage drug use.
ElphaReads
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this novel!

THE GOOD GIRLS has a solid message and theme, taking rape culture and misogyny and putting both at the forefront, and exploring them through different characters who have different perspectives and backgrounds. I really enjoyed how Bartlett showed how girls who are perceived differently by their peers (be they seen as promiscuous, prudish, innocent, or outsiders) have different experiences with misogyny, but it is still damaging
Gillian
This is a YA mystery/thriller surrounding the deaths (one declared suicide, the other murder) of two different high school girls in a small town in Colorado. The story surrounds three different high school girls-- the "slutty" partier, the cheer captain, and the academic achiever-- who are questioned by police after "good girl" Emma Baines goes missing (and is presumed to be murdered because of a video circulating of a person pushing a small blonde off a bridge).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book a
Jo Ladzinski
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Read an ARC from NetGalley
Trigger warning: sexual assault, rape culture, predatory teacher, murder, suicide, substance abuse, guns

This twisty read follows the investigation for four girls. Three of them perhaps have something to do with the fourth’s murder. Secrets come out, and to protect each other and their truths, they have to stand up to a police department which doesn’t believe them and a school administration actively working against them.

Complex, evenly paced with a compelling, complex c
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

The Good Girls was quite a trip! From the start, I was so invested in what happened to Emma, and what the girls we read about had to do with it. It's clear from the start that this will not be a cut and dry murder investigation. And a big part of the reason why is because the police have seemingly doled out roles for the girls to play before they even begin to gather evidence. It's so cl
Frank Chillura (OhYouRead)
I love a fully cast Audio Book!! That was definitely the highlight of my listening experience. I enjoyed the Characters, but there were so many MC’s that It was hard to know who was talking. On multiple occasions, I got confused and had to go back and relisten.

I had an inkling that I knew what was going on and I was completely wrong. I do love a Mystery that actually stays a mystery!!

The Men in this book...... I wanted to kill them all! This is exactly what I think a stereotype of Men in middl
Alicia
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to HCC Frenzy for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
4.5/5 stars.
"Girls can be one thing or the other. We are good, or we are bad. We are smart, or we are stupid. We are the Madonna, or we are the whore."

This book was a wild mystery ride and I loved it! It kept me guessing and trying to piece together clues all the way to the end. It also tackles the ways in which girls are treated by others, CW sexual assault, and it shows female characters reclaiming control ov
Kayleigh
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

“You call me many things: A slut. A nerd. A liar. You have the power to call me everything and nothing. You told the world all the things I did wrong, and all the things I didn’t do right enough. You told my story . . . but it wasn’t really mine. It was the story we all shared—the liars, the bad girls, the good. The nerds and the cheerleaders. The tragic, heartbreaking, conveniently dead girls. The silenced.”

I’m not going to review this one, I’m just trying to add the books I’ve read the
Nev
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqiap, 2021
I like what this book was going for from a thematic standpoint. A queer, feminist YA thriller for the #MeToo era is definitely something I’m here for. HOWEVER, I was not a fan of the execution of the story at all. I thought the more interesting plot took place before the book started. We just get to see glimpses of it in police interviews or diary entries rather than actually getting to read those scenes playing out.

This book should’ve been so thrilling, but it was a chore to get through. A lot
Madison
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Review forthcoming.
Brandy
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Such a beautifully written book. You don't usually think of murder mysteries as beautiful written, but this book has some chops. ...more
Alyssa Thomas
DNF at 12%

This just isn't catching my attention, I skipped throughout and skimmed the ending and I don't think this is going to be anything extraordinary so I don't want to waste my time on it. Was hoping for something similar to Sadie by Courtney Summers.

No rating because I didn't read enough to rate it fairly.
Kat
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
CN: sexual abuse/rape, violence/murder, diets and unhealthy body image, eating disorders, biphobic tropes

I wanted to like this so much. "The Good Girls" promises to tackle a very serious topic that has been showing up a lot in YA lately: Rape Culture and how sexual abuse victims are often ignored or called liars. But I was expecting an emotional read that packs a lot of punches and this book, despite the sensitive topics addressed, seemed tepid and unoriginal. I've seen all of this done before a
Ariel
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, ya
This book was okay for me. It had some interesting working parts and had a cool way of narrating, but there were also some things I didn’t enjoy.

First, the mystery was pretty good. This book does a great job of making each character, big or small, seem suspicious. I was constantly trying to figure out what each person was hiding and what their endgame was. Murder-mysteries with so many questionable people are the best!

I also really loved seeing how everything fit together. There was the crime of
elise (the petite punk)
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Good Girls has a compelling premise. Emma Baines ends up dead a few years after the supposed suicide of Lizzy Sayer. Unlike Lizzy, however, Emma was a good girl--well-behaved and qualified to win a prestigious scholarship. Ruled as a murder, there's three main suspects behind the death of Emma: Claude, a troublemaker known for sleeping around; Avery, a cheerleader with strict parents; and Gwen, a com
Pine Reads Review
“The silenced. So many of us are. You don’t see it, because we talk, but we make sure to talk only about the things that make you comfortable. The things that won’t make you uncomfortable. We wouldn’t want that.”

When Jefferson-Lorne High School senior, Emma Baines, goes missing, rumors begin to circulate about her disappearance—and her possible death. Although, it wouldn’t be the first time that a top student at Jefferson turned up dead. When the police interview the student-body, they begin to
Aiya
Feb 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-books
I loved One of Us is Lying, it’s one of my absolute favorites, so I knew I had to read this one. The Good Girls is good, but not on that level.

I usually don’t enjoy mysteries because I guess the secret too early on and the get bored, but I genuinely had no clue where this one was going. The ending shocked me to my core, if I was a betting lady I would’ve lost big time on who killed Emma.

The characters were great, Claude is one of my favorite character archetypes and she was done so well. The q
Putri Amalia Handayani
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
That’s the thing about being dead. You no longer get to say what happens next.

description

It's not every day I stayed until 2 am to finish a book. This book wouldn't let me go once I started. Usually, I turn to spoiler just to have a good night's sleep and continue reading it the next day. But for some reason, I couldn't, not for this book, I need to see everything myself.

The book left me feeling hollow in the middle of the night. I want to hug the characters and tell them that they did great a
Jamescow1607
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
I liked the plot twist because it was something I’d never expect but I just had a problem with the pacing of this book and the inconsistencies. I liked the topics covered in the book, but I think the execution was poor.

SPOILERS:
I feel that this book was inconsistent. The villain, Mr. G, was first described by an amazing teacher, the best one of them all, and an absolute saint even by the main characters, then the character was changed dramatically to help support the plot. I feel like the author
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Reasons to Be Cheerful
  • Admission
  • This Is Not a Ghost Story
  • The Last Train to London
Claire Bartlett lives in an enchanted forest apartment in Copenhagen with too many board games and too few cats.

Get more detailed information, like how many board games is too many, how many cats is too few, and what book-related beauties I'm working on by signing up for my newsletter.

News & Interviews