Start by marking “Oraiáphon” as Want to Read:
Oraiáphon

Oraiáphon

(Empire's Legacy #4)

Can a musician heal, when a physician cannot? All scáeli’en know the tale of Oraiáphon: how his music tamed the wildest beasts and charmed the darkest god. Only a fable—until song becomes Sorley’s last supplication to bring Cillian back from certain death, for Lena, for their child, and for the country that so desperately needs him.
Published February 29th 2020 by Arboretum Press

To ask other readers questions about Oraiáphon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oraiáphon

Start your review of Oraiáphon
Liz
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a brief, this trilogy starts off with some serious girl power vibes, moves into the very intriguing political atmosphere and has complicated web of personal relationships throughout with some of the most epic and sweat inducing love stories (inc same sex love stories) I have ever come across. The most important vibe I have got from Marian’s writing though is that whilst with plenty of twists, there isn’t ever a scene introduced simply for shock value. It’s as solid a trilogy you can come acro ...more
Karen Heenan
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read an advance copy of this novella, the author knowing I was a huge fan of her trilogy. I liked it so much I've pre-ordered it, so that should tell you something.

While this can be read as a stand-alone, it is a perfect bridge book between the Empire's Legacy trilogy and the trilogy to come. It continues on with the stories of previously known characters, introduces new ones, and delves deeper into secondary characters we were introduced to in the previous books.

Sorl
Mary Yarde
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing

"Courage comes in many forms, Sorley, and only men blinded by prejudice and thoughtlessness think otherwise."

Lord Sorley had dreamed of becoming a scáeli — a travelling musician, a historian, the holders and disseminators of deeds and stories. Instead, he had become a toscaire, an envoy for Linrathe. But his hopes, his dreams no longer matter, for the man he has loved for years is hovering in that shadowy world between life and death.

The doctor has told both Lord Sorley and Lena that Cillian, M
Maria Johnson
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Marian L Thorpe's Empire's Legacy trilogy in autumn last year. This novella bridges the original trilogy, narrated by Lena, to the next trilogy in Thorpe's masterful series. The novella switches the narrative to Sorely, a character who becomes an increasingly important character in Thorpe's earlier books. It also is a bridge into the next trilogy, where the fourth novel is also told from Sorely's point of view.

if you haven't read Thorpe's first trilogy, I really recommend it to get
J.R. Alcyone
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As well-written and excellent as the Empire Trilogy that the novella supplements.

Designed to be read after the conclusion of Empire trilogy, Marian Thorpe's Oraiáphon tells the story of the events which occurred between the end of the novel and the epilogue. As such, I would not recommend it as a standalone. However, if you are a fan of the Empire Trilogy, you will enjoy this book. Featuring excellent prose, keen political insights, and diplomatic intrigue, the world-building is outstanding. If
Julie
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a novella of many things, diplomacy, greed and music, but the greatest one is love. Not the obvious kind of a whirlwind romance, but of sacrifice. If that seems a soft option, it is far from it; the sort of love in this short book is painful, hopeful and largely unseen. Following the story of an Empire and surrounding states, this fourth book in a series draws heavily on the themes, stories and characters dominating the books of the Empire, as told by one of the central characters, Lena. ...more
Bjørn
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of the Empire's Legacy trilogy, one almost angry with the author for finishing it the way she did (read to find out what I mean) I was delighted to find out that the three-year gap between the last chapter and the epilogue of the last book would be expanded into a novella. I was fortunate enough to be a beta-reader and loved the unfinished version already. The final one is wonderful for the fans (I wouldn't recommend it as a standalone, as it's basically one big spoiler for the trilogy' ...more
Sean Talbot
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series I was bereft when it ended. This little novella gave me a great taste back into this amazing world.

I really love the characters like Casyn who seems to have a larger part in this story. While the story revolves around the main characters from the other books it doesn't just focus on them.

I really think this is just a great book and ties up some loose ends but also adds more as well where we as readers want to see more of these characters and the world that this author has created.
epizkey

• The Space Between Worlds
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • What Lies Between Us
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Wow, No Thank You.: Essays
  • Tidelands (Fairmile #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Her Last Flight
  • The Pride of Peacocks
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Forever House
  • Post Office
  • Naked Truth: or Equality, the Forbidden Fruit
  • The Forest of Allund (The Forest of Allund, #1)
My books are historical fiction of an imagined world, one that is close to Britain, Northern Europe, and Rome, but isn't any of them. A world where a society evolved differently after the Eastern Empire left, where one young fisherwoman answers her leader's call to defend her country, beginning a journey into uncharted territory, in an Empire on the edge of history.

After two careers as a research

Empire's Legacy (6 books)
  • Empire's Daughter (Empire's Legacy #1)
  • Empire's Hostage (Empire's Legacy #2)
  • Empire's Exile