Start by marking “Doctores” as Want to Read:
Doctores

Erich Segal

Doctores

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  11,744 Ratings  ·  414 Reviews
Autor v knihe vykresľuje ustavičný boj s chorobami, v ktorom však lekári nie sú bezchybne fungujúce automaty, ale komplikované, neraz i zakomplexované a krehké ľudské bytosti, ktorých reakcie a schopnosti závisia do vnútornej vyrovnanosti a silnej ctižiadosti vyhrať každý boj o život a zdravie pacienta.
Published September 1st 1995 by Planeta Pub Corp (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Doctores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctores

Leigh
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the hardcover version of this book, which was 679 pages. I started it on a Tuesday evening around 7 p.m. and finished it at 1:00 p.m. the next day. If that doesn't say a lot about the quality of the book, I don't know what does!

Erich Segal continues to amaze me with his storytelling abilities. Not only are his plots interesting, but he makes you really identify with the characters. There are no outlandish plot twists or soap opera dramas - just multi-dimensional characters trying to get t
Darenn
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We can never imagine what kind of life lies ahead of us and this book made me realize that we can never say "never", "I will" or "I can" not until we are right at that very moment wherein we need to make a decision(rational or not). Yes, we can determine what we want to be in the future but we can never foresee the things and changes that we are to encounter. We can do nothing but to choose, and even by just making 1 wrong choice will change something sometime everything and the future will be f ...more
Mandira
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: golden
A very well written book, i think one of the rare books that i read in one go. It gives a good description about the daily lives of doctors and their profession. Based on the life of Barney Livingston and Laura Castellano (best of friends). The book is mainly based on their journey through school, medical college and their respective fields. The ups and downs, the rise and fall, the realisations they have. It takes many years for them to realise that what they have is more than friendship. They ...more
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
pernah baca yg terjemahannya, untung kemaren dapet edisi inggrisnya di obralan buku impor :D

gak kecewa dg tebelnya :P
buat yang minta reviewnya:
Saya baru membaca buku Segal 2 biji, Love Story dan Doctors ini. Tapi, karena buku ini yang paling tebel, jadi buku ini yg terbaik. hehe

Doctors bercerita ttg seluk beluk kehidupan para dokter. Inti cerita berpusat pada tokoh si Barney Livingston dan Laura Castellano, du
Gladys Dianne
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There are thousands of diseases in the world, but Medical Science only has an empirical cure for twenty-six of them. The rest is... guesswork."

description

Doctors focuses on the lives of Barney Livingston and Laura Castellano, from when they were kindergartners to them being medstudents and their journey as full pledged doctors. This book gives such a great insight on those aspiring to don the white coat someday.

"All of a sudden, I'm not a person, I'm a robot studying a human."

I am in my third year of meds
Sridevi
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love every sentence in it. An extremely well-written story which, as a medical student, I could completely relate - with the characters, the trials and tribulations one face through med school life and the weird and nice ones we get as classmates. It also talks about the dog-eat-dog world out there waiting as soon as one shall begin practicing.
For a non medical reader, you'll relish the story and find newfound respect for doctors. For the ones already in the healing profession, its an eye-opene
Rajan
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a good peek into what happens in a medical school and how much labour is required to be a doctor. It is also a very emotional and romantic story. I liked it immensely. Hope u will too.
Mabel
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a second hand sale. Despite having read it about five years ago and not having been too impressed, I decided to give it another go.

The reasons for my reluctance remained: namely the cliche nature of Erich Segal's characters. I have also read "The Class" and there are similarities as to how he develops his characters in both these books: the gorgeous lead female with brains, the class nerd, the handsome jock, the overachievers, the boy next door, the eventual romance tha
Anie
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am a big fan of Eric Segal. His books have always been touching and had great influence in my life. He has always been one of my favorite authors. One thing we need to understand that doctors are also human beings and bear the pressures of life and long duty hours which makes their jobs more challenging but seeing the passion for their profession is really remarkable. Every day they live a new life whenever they save the wounded, frustrated and disheveled patients. How may emotions they pass t ...more
Ayesha
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Reading books set in medical schools always intrigue me and doctors is all about HMS life AND it is written by Erich Segal so that means....I TOTALLY LOVED THE BOOK.
But despite my prejudices,It gives an almost realistic view of a doctor's life.
Asghar Abbas
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sweeping. Excellent.

See, finally they put someone with a lot of soul in a house that's far from white.
Sushil
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book I was quite touched with the passion with which Doctors treat their patients..The story revolves around a group of Harvard med school students who have to go through the rigrous training of becoming a doctor.. Some faint during the anatomy classes while a dead body is being disected to study the various human parts.. This reminds me of the incidence when one of my classmates fainted during my 12th science grade biology lab session ..The teacher was disecting a rat and ...more
Michelle D’costa
A brilliant book. Erich segal keeps you hooked to the plot and characters. He explores the characters and their relationships in a genuine manner.

I was addicted to Robin Cook's medical thrillers in school. I have religiously watched every episode of Grey's Anatomy. As a teen I watched many surgeries on Reality TV and aspired to be one someday. To be present at the heart of change and innovation. I realised after some time it was only a fascination with the profession and I wouldn't have the tole
Travelin
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: started
The absolutely final update:

There's a great deal I could say about the politics of this book, most of it grim, so I'll skip a treatise on the profound value of human life.

I saw a quote recently, that "messages are for postcards," but Segal apparently never got that memo. Emotionally and apparently medically shallow, every character in the book has a different trivial agenda, while being given essentially the same voice.

I once stumbled onto a hallway of recent graduates preparing themselves silen
Petya
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
С тази книга в ръце човек попада в света на няколко студенти по медицина, изживява заедно с тях цялото им следване, изборът им на направление в медицината и ранните стъпки в кариерата им. Проследяват се не само професионалните им търсения, но и напълно човешките им съдби. Героите са добре развити от автора.

И общо взето дотук са хубавите неща, които мога да кажа за книгата.

Недостатъците не са малко според мен. Твърде много клиширани идеи. Авторът е разгледал повърхностно твърде много морални ди
Paul
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, summer, life
I read this book in 2 days and I want to read it again and again...
I also enjoyed the idea that 2 best friends to became lovers. It's a motivational book for those who want a med career, like me, and I recommend it for everyone. My favorite book so far.
Marwa Shafique
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved reading this book! A definite must read for those interested in medicine.
Диляна
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прекрасна книга , стога да имах време бих я изгълтала за няколко дни .
Не ме остави да я остави без да разбера какво става особено накрая .
Paula Dembeck
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barney Livingston and Laura Castellano are neighbours as well as close friends. Both want to be doctors and after graduating from high school they enter Harvard Medical School in 1958. He wants to be a psychiatrist and she want to be a pediatrician.

There are several other characters we are introduced to in their class. All have different motivations for entering the medical field. They include Bennett Landsmann, a Rhodes Scholar and the black son adopted into a wealthy Jewish family; Hank Benne
Natha
Harus darimana aku menceritakan tentang buku ini?

Perjuangan hidup seseorang menjadi dokter di tengah berbagai macam himpitan masalah yang mendera mereka di luar pendidikan itu sendiri. Pembaca dibawa untuk memahami bahwa menjadi seorang dokter tidak menjadikan mereka 'dewa'. Mereka juga manusia, sama seperti manusia lain yang berprofesi berbeda. Hanya saja tahun-tahun keemasan dalam hidup mereka harus mereka relakan untuk tersia-sia di ruang pendidikan, masa-masa belajar dan juga saat magang. H
Lynxie Brat
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In alot of ways this is my favorite books by Segal. My only complaint about it is that the multiple charecters aren't balanced, (where as in Prizes they were more balanced out.) It concerns 4 people directly, Barney,(who is the lead/catalyst for the story.)Laura,Bennet and Seth.
Seth's charecter is the one left out in the cold, so to speak, but also one who has the most to lose: his integrety.

Other then that though. this book is classic Segal, laughter,sorrow, and at times so heartrending that yo
Ted
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is Almost Eriich Segal 's nonfiction based on his Harverd Medical School resident experiance and get marry with his girlfriend who went go through elementary sweet hart.
it was so interesting about how mysterical about medical treeatments since no human is nothing compare to LORD cure for ileness , sickness and desease, even in distress. according to Erich Herverd Medical school graduate famous Love Story author many unknown things to medical fields in Human being. He is very hummble and ver
Subhojit Sanyal
[3.5 STARS] A TANGLED MASTERPIECE

'Doctors' was simply awesome in parts and in others- plain outright boring. Sections of it were outstanding, brilliantly portraying the making of doctors,their internal struggles, growing up and the incidents that influenced their outlook as doctors. Euthanasia also came up in a most riveting fashion. I particularly loved the part about the doublecrossings in the research field.

However, it was too splayed out, with unnecessary plot points. Also, as a medical stud
Sookie
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-fiction
Story about a bunch of doctors who meet in medical school and where their lives take them. Two of them are best friends from a very young age and their relationship over three decades.

With dramatic twists and life choices, it all comes to a point where the best friends have to make choices involving their family. Old friends come to picture and ending is how the tone of the story is - happy verging on bittersweet.
Minty McBunny
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of all time. So much of what I know about the medical profession came from this book, or research this book spurred me to do.

I read it for the first time at age 13 and have probably read it at least 20 times since.

It is always on my list of "desert island' books. To me it's the best book Segal ever wrote and one that I will be reading again and again for the rest of my life.
Aparna Bhat
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that highlighted the ups and downs on the journey to becoming a doctor. What I liked most about the book was that it covered not just what you'd expect (ex. going to classes, dissecting cadavers, etc.) but also the ethical and social justice issues that existed not only at that time, but also today.
asdewi
Dibaca waktu awal2 kuliah, pas lagi belajar anatomi di bab neuroanatomi.

Akan selamanya berterima kasih sama ini buku, karena langsung bisa hapal 12 nervus cranialis berkat "Oh oh oh to touch and feels girls vagina, ah heaven". Dan belum lupa ampe sekarang X)

Tapi dari segi cerita ini, ini dua orang kenapa lamaaaaa bener nyadar sukanya?
Nyindir gw? Hah??? Hah???? *apa coba*
witz
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kedokteran, fiksi
hmm.. kalo dibilang ko kayanya muter2 ya critanya... tebel banget, bacanya ga habis2 :D
tapi bener2 menggambarkan kehidupan seorang dokter
Merav  Gat
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
read it many years ago and i still remember the story
must!
Ro
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in high school. I absolutely loved it. This, I think, is Erich Segal's best novel. Followed by Love Story.
Erich Segal's books 2 12 Apr 01, 2014 05:16AM
Have you read Erich Segal's other books, other than Love Story? 10 52 Nov 21, 2013 09:10PM
Help Me Please 1 50 Dec 10, 2010 10:43PM
  • The Final Diagnosis
  • A Fool's Errand (The Gypsy King #2)
  • The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2)
  • The Inscrutable Americans
  • The Second Lady
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • Teka-Teki Terakhir
  • Mutation
  • Swami and Friends
Erich Wolf Segal was an American author, screenwriter, and educator. He was best-known for writing the novel Love Story, a bestseller, and writing the motion picture of the same name, which was a major hit.
More about Erich Segal...

“The ‘equilibrium’ that people see in me is really an illusion. I am as flawed as anyone. It’s only that I seem to have the knack of hiding.” 35 likes
“although science could pinpoint the exact spot in the brain that ignites rage, they had yet to identify the location that produces love.” 20 likes