Start by marking “Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery

Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery

(Vera Kelly #2)

When ex-CIA agent Vera Kelly loses her job and her girlfriend in a single day, she reluctantly goes into business as a private detective. Heartbroken and cash-strapped, she takes a case that dredges up dark memories and attracts dangerous characters from across the Cold War landscape. Before its over, shell chase a lost child through foster care and follow a trail of ...more
Paperback
Expected publication: June 16th 2020 by Tin House Books

To ask other readers questions about Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery

Start your review of Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery
Rachel Pollock
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not much of a mystery/espionage buff but I really enjoyed this one! Second book in a sleuth-centric series of which I haven't read the first one, so i don't know how it compares to WHO IS VERA KELLY? but this is a good solid spy story with a hint of the noir. I like the unusual choice of a female ex-CIA-turned-PI, and i appreciated the realistic depiction of how persecuted women in general were at this time, but particularly queer women. Pulpy, but entertaining well-written pulp.

And, having
Lindsey
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really love what Knecht does to balance nodding to and subverting cold war spy novel tropes. Elated there was a second book -- I would read a Nancy Drew number of these.
Rachel Mans McKenny
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this Vera Kelly book except "wow?" Well, a bit more than that, but I'd say that's a start. All the things I loved about Vera from the first novel shine here: the intrigue, the wry self-awareness, the snappy dialogue, and the international stakes-- they all heighten in this second novel. We see Vera more at home, especially in her personal relationships, as she tries to figure out the next step of her career. This time, her investigations lead her to the case of a disappeared ...more
Denice Langley
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was meant to be enjoyed on a long weekend day when you can sit and read for hours. It furthers the story of Vera Kelly, a woman torn between who she wants to be and who she really is. When her new business turns into more than a job, she must reach deep inside her and find the woman she never knew she was and save a young man who has no one else to count on. Rosalie Knecht builds the story one brick at a time until you are surprised by how far Vera has taken you into her confused life. ...more
Angie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the second book in a mystery/sleuth series, and while I didn't read the first book, I easily picked this up and got right into the story-line.
Vera is an ex CIA agent who goes into business as a private detective. The books is set in the 1960's and I loved the dry humor and mod type theme set in this book.
While the plot wasn't a huge mystery to me, Vera is so enjoyable that I could easily see this book series continuing and becoming a TV series.
Cristie Underwood
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I havent read the first book in this series, but found this book to be a good read. The premise of Vera starting her own private detective business after leaving the CIA during a time when women were encouraged to stay home and raise kids was a different kind of plot. Usually books like this focus on male characters, so it was refreshing to read one centered on a woman. ...more
Mary
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vera Kelly is Not a Mystery is
Matangi Melpakkam
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Advance reader's copy. Great book! Had a lot of fun imagining the scenes of this book. very descriptive, and a nice mystery that gets wrapped up wonderfully.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy through Edelweiss.
Angela
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A period noir set in 1960s NYC with Cold War themes. Vera is now a former CIA agent, trying to find love, when she is asked to locate the son of a Dominican exile through the foster care system - are the family members who hired really the ones who want to find this child?
Lori
Goodreads Librari...: Short VK series--so far 1 11 Nov 16, 2019 01:26PM

• Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel
  • In Five Years
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Mending Life: A Handbook for Repairing Clothes and Hearts
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
  • The Crying Book
  • The Fire Next Time
  • Honey
  • Proof of Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery #4)
  • The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)
  • Murder in the Bayou Boneyard: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • The Fell of Dark
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Six Angry Girls
  • Spent Identity (Annalisse Series #2)
Rosalie Knecht is the author of Who is Vera Kelly? (Tin House, June 2018) and Relief Map. She grew up in Pennsylvania, attended Oberlin College and Hunter College, and works in mental health in New York City. She is also the translator of César Aira's The Seamstress and the Wind.

Vera Kelly (2 books)