Start by marking “The Women of Great Heron Lake” as Want to Read:
The Women of Great Heron Lake

The Women of Great Heron Lake

From the author of the bestselling historical novel, MISS ETTA.

Two strong women, generations apart, living parallel lives.

When Marla Madison’s husband dies, she realizes her life has become very small. Her daughter is grown and Marla has spent the past two decades focused on his friends, his interests, and his home. Feeling lost, she throws herself into fixing up the one-h
Published September 10th 2019 by Deanna Lynn Sletten

To ask other readers questions about The Women of Great Heron Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Women of Great Heron Lake

Start your review of The Women of Great Heron Lake
Kristina
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nope. Nope. Ugh. Nope. This was my book club’s latest selection and was an (almost) complete bust for me. One star gone for typos & grammatical errors, another star gone for a completely unbelievable storyline. One more star gone for the cliche, saccharine, vomit-inducing plot and characters. One star remaining for the setting and the second star (graciously) given for the “heroine’s” circle of friends who were disappointingly underdeveloped. Ironically, this book tries to condemn snobbery but e ...more
Susan (The Book Bag)
I love the idea of connections between generations, stories of people or things that come together over time and mesh, for whatever reason. The Women of Great Heron Lake does just that.

After Marla's husband dies, she is at a loss as to what to do with herself. She has lived her husband's life and in his shadow for so many years. As she starts to change the house they lived in, she finds a journal written by another Mrs. Madison, many, many years ago. As the house changes, so does Marla. As she r
Lady Delacour
This Storyline felt like a
Black and White B Movie
with all the good parts left
on the cutting room floor.
Interesting, just not Good.
2 Sub-par Stars.
Listened with TTS.
Cleanish.
One Mild Bad Word.
Sandra
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, easy read and perfect for taking one's mind off of woes of any sort.
Dianna
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE Deanna Sletten. I have been following her from the beginning.
I always say that she CANNOT get any better and WHAM she comes along with a BETTER story.

If you haven't read Ms. Sletten I strongly advise you to do so. Her stories are amazing. Her research is amazing.

Cannot wait for the next one.
Janet Friesner
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book

Loved this book. One of best books I've read. A really good story. Maybe the fact that I was born in St. Paul 88 years ago added to the joy. The book is a keeper. Highly recommend it.
Miki Rhodes Elliott
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoy the book the story line was very interesting. The reader of the book was not my favorite.
Valerie L. Rider
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story

The past and the present are skillfully intertwined when Marla discovers a journal written by Alaina who lived over a hundred and fifty years before her in the same estate. This amazing woman was married to her recently deceased husband's ancestor. The journal helps Marla through her grief as she reinvents herself along with the help of her new friends. Alaina and Marla's lives parallel one
another and are so inspiring!

Martha Alderson
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I could not put this book down. I would love to see the story continue where this one ends. There are still Madison ancestors we haven't heard from.
Shreedevi Gurumurty
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A captivating tale of loss, friendship, discovery, fate, growth, and strength-a story spanning over 100 years. When Marla Madison's husband, Nathan, dies, she realises that her life has been limited. Her daughter, Reese, is in college now and Marla has spent the better part of twenty years always focused on her husband's friends, his interests and his ancestral home, which he has bequeathed to her in his will. Feeling lost, she throws herself into fixing up the 150 years old manor property on th ...more
Carol Deegan
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! When Marla Madison’s husband dies, she is left with a huge family mansion and plenty of money. To keep herself busy, she decides to redo some rooms, and comes across a diary written by Alaina, the first Mrs. Madison to live in the house. She discovers she has many things in common with Alaina, including mental abuse and seclusion. She meets a new group of friends through a book club, and together they read Alaina’s journal. The book club ladies support Marla and help her to fi ...more
Sandy
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story

As a lover of genealogy I immediately was drawn in the moment the main character found a hidden 150 year old journal. The transition between present day and the past was seamless and easy to read. I would recommend this book to lovers of both historical and women's fiction. After reading this book, I will definitely be interested in reading more of the authors works.
Linda
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I savored this story of two women from two times and connected by family, a mansion, and a journal. Marla's husband passes away after 20 years of marriage. He is "old money" and by the time he married Marla, he had already done the things he wanted and was ready to settle down. He expected that of his young wife and she complied. After he passed, Marla had to find out who she was and what she wanted from life. Then she ran across the journal. And everything changed.
Johnnie Steinberg
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the way this book was written. Not only was it a clean story, but the plot was different from most. A modern day character, Marla, was paralleled by a character from 150 years ago, Ariana. Connecting the two was a diary which chronicled Ariana’s life: her marriage & upper crust life to a husband who was the ancestor of Marla’s husband. The author segued easily from the present to the past & back again effortlessly. There was a lot of good psychology imbedded in the thoughts & re ...more
Tab
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful message for women

I truly loved this book. As a matter of fact, it would be a great book club, book! I enjoyed the main character, Marla, she never allowed hard times or others to stand in her way. She was going to pioneer through, and she did. I would definitely recommend this book.
Sheila Hanson
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The characters were just too slick. Why are the men always smart, tall and handsome? The woman was plain but somehow became beautiful?

Story line was enjoyable but those characters need to be more real. Can only beautiful women be rich and successful? Why are short chubby people ever do anything remarkable? Women with a heavy build and strong bones never seem to count.
Mary Sue Wilson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Really Good Novel

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this well written novel about strong women. The author chose very memorable characters to weave this novel.It was very difficult to put down.
Barbara J
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and inspiring novel

I found this novel fascinating filled with the history of a by-gone day. This author made me feel so close to the characters and frankly I couldn’t put this book down.
Joann Stewart
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this book and hated that it came to an end. The parallel stories were well done and I found myself rooting for both Marla is present day and Alaina from the 1890's. Both are amazing, strong women who you want to see suceed.
Jill
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. I enjoyed it so much I have to recommend it to everyone! The story of two women married into the same family centuries apart who have parallel lives. It is written so well with good character development and plot line. You just have to read it!
Dr Honora
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting women

Enjoyed how history repeats itself; of two women who made a difference in their communities and how both eventually found men who complimented their strengths. Good read.
hugh harrelson
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strong women

The Women of Great Heron Lake is a satisfying book! The women were strong, intelligent, hardworking, and brave in a time when women were expected to be subservient to the men in their lives.
Jackie Gallagher
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt like I was a member of the book club and feeling the same emotions and excitement as they did as they unfold the life of the first Mrs. Madison from over a century ago.
RM LAHIFF
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Too silly

The story was silly in that two women, decades apart in time, could be so similar in their lives. It would be more believable if the were blood related.
Marilyn
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book showing women's struggles and accomplishments.

This book shows how women have struggled in past and present for their independence and respect as an equal in life.
Joan
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the setting of the old mansion and the two woman’s lives between a span of 100 years. Great story!
Evelyn
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great book

What a great inspiring book of women and friendship especially the history of women’s rights and struggle in marriage in the 1800’s highly recommended it.
A
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story! We women are accomplished and make things happen!

Read it you won't want to put it down! Relax, have a glass of wine and enjoy!

Live your life!
Marcia
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one!
Mary A. Burns
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good story!

I really enjoyed this book that tied the past with the present. So well written and realistic. Loved Marla and Aleina.

• The Planter's Wife
  • A Class Apart (A Matter of Class, #1)
  • Sisters of the Southern Cross
  • A Class Entwined (A Matter of Class, #2)
  • The Robinswood Story: Three Book Collection
  • The Tea Planter's Club
  • Kit's Hill: A powerful historical saga (The Brief Chronicles Book 1)
  • Dovetail
  • The Homecoming
  • Charlotte
  • The Girl with the Golden Scissors
  • Kayla's Trick (The Tour Series Book 6)
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock #2)
  • If My Heart Had Wings: A World War II Love Story
  • Trials and Tribulations - The Robinswood Story Book 3
  • The Hard Way Home (The Star and the Shamrock Book 3)
  • The Ironmaster (The Brief Chronicles Book 2)
Deanna Lynn Sletten is the author of MISS ETTA, THE WOMEN OF GREAT HERON LAKE, MAGGIE'S TURN, THE LAKE HARRIET SERIES, and several other titles. She writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime. Deanna believes in fate, destiny, love at first sight, soul mates, second ...more