Start by marking “The Way You Burn” as Want to Read:
The Way You Burn

The Way You Burn

When David approaches his New Hampshire cabin one cool October night to find it engulfed in flames, he knows his girlfriend Hope set the fire. At least, he’s pretty sure he knows.

David first decides to upend the creature comforts of his post-collegiate life and try roughing it for a year after he inherits two acres of land and a rustic cabin from his deceased grandfather.
Published April 14th 2020 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about The Way You Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way You Burn

Start your review of The Way You Burn
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Books Forward for the advanced copy of The Way You Burn by Christine Meade! The book was received in exchange for an honest review, and all opinions are my own

Those years right after college are when a large percentage of new adults are off in the world learning how to be successful and happy humans.  As a 30 something year old this is my favorite coming-of-age group to read about, as it is easier for me to relate to.  David is the main character and he decides to leave his
Meg - A Bookish Affair
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, fiction, thriller
"The Way You Burn" thrusts us into a scene where our main character, David, is watching his grandfather's house burn to the ground. David now lives there in rural New Hampshire after his grandfather gave it to him in his will. David looked at the cabin as a fresh start, both for him and his girlfriend, Hope. Fresh starts don't always come so easily though and David is beginning to see that the proverbial writing on the wall may have been there with Hope the whole time!

First off, I love the way t
Courtney Halverson
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one had me gripped from the beginning and then quickly fell flat. I didn't really like any of the characters (except for Harold) and didn't find them believable, maybe they needed more background to understand them better. The relationships between them left me confused and wondering why they were even together. The book kept me going because I thought big things were going to happen but honestly felt like the plot was pretty slow and what twists there were, were quickly glossed over and un ...more
Carolyn Crotty
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a page turner! Best book I’ve read in a long time, with characters and imagery that will stay with you long after you turn the last page.
Sarah Bowe
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to booksforwardpr for the gifted book.

3.5
This was an interesting debut. I didn't realize until the end that the use of second person (which seems so rare in books) narration were David's letters to Hope.

David finds out he inherited his grandfather's cabin which throws him as he didn't feel he got along too great with his dad's dad.

David is working at a job for a Boston news station. He meets Hope walking by on the street during an assignment and gets her number. They start dating.

Hope i
Katie Regan
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great debut! When I started reading it before bed, I told myself I would only read a few chapters, but I couldn’t put it down. The author’s character development was top notch. Of course, all of us of a certain age can recall those formative first years of actual, post-college adulthood... but I also saw a bit of myself looking back at me from inside multiple characters. It was easy to relate to their plights. The New England setting was a character in itself, and as someone who’s spent a ...more
Reading Mama
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My feelings about this book are somewhat ambivalent. There were parts of the story that I enjoyed, and parts of the story that I thought fell flat. I really liked David and his friendship with Harold. I felt like the synopsis of this book is somewhat misleading, as I feel like the author kind of glossed over David's relationship with Hope. Maybe I have read too many thrillers with psychotic ...more
VillaPark Public Library
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The main character, David, pulls you in as he rewrites the story of his relationship, as he saw it, with Hope, who has a past that haunts them both. He inherits his reclusive grandfather's cabin in rural New Hampshire. He moves to the cabin and his life changes dramatically after a series of events in which he ultimately loses a friendship, his girlfriend and his home.

The book is fast-paced and suspenseful. It's very easy to follow and keeps you fully engaged. You won't want to put it down!
Christina Marie Reads
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing read, the kind that really makes you think. It is written as a letter from David to Hope in which he tries to explain himself, where he was in their relationship, and what was going through his mind throughout it all in regards to her bizarre behaviors. While their relationship fell flat for me and I didn't care for Hope, I enjoyed David's growth, the back story involving his family, and his relationship with Harold. Overall, it was a great read! ...more
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I raced through this book in a single weekend because I could not put it down. A complicated love story, a dark, tragic secret that threatens to tear the couple apart, and a mystery lurking in the forest at night all had me racing through the pages. The author builds her characters so carefully, and with such precision and humanity that this novel achieves what all the great ones should – it lets the reader live inside its pages, completely captivated by the author’s spell.
Vivian
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this! Although it took me longer than usual to finish reading this, it was not because of the book -I blame it on work. Blah! Anyway, I loved how it felt like the story was going in one direction and then it was like, nope, and went in another. What a gift! The characters and the settings were written so well, I can actually see them. I highly recommend this; it lifted me up, it made me cringe, and left me smiling.
Alaina (Booksandetcetera)
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one had me hooked from the beginning! The first chapter introduces David returning to his New Hampshire cabin after celebrating his 25th birthday, only to find it burning to the ground. He is pretty sure his girlfriend, Hope, did this. The story then goes back a full year to the moment they met and explains how he was immediately in awe of her. This story is dark and twisted and I enjoyed every page of it. ⁣
Carol Deegan
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
THE WAY YOU BURN by Christine Meade ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is an interesting debut novel. The story is a narrative by David, the main character. He recounts his tumultuous relationship with his girlfriend, who has a haunting past. Though some of the characters are a bit quirky, the book moves along steadily and draws you in and keeps you reading. I received a copy of this book from the author. All opinions expressed are my own.
Justina Meade
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Way You Burn is a captivating and unpredictable novel. The character development is beautifully written and makes you feel like you really know the people....they grab at your heartstrings, for sure. I could not put the book down....I read it in 2 days. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading other novels by this incredibly gifted new author!!
Carolyn
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is intriguing and I read it over two days, wanting to see what happens. The point of view takes some getting used to and made the action feel distant. The relationship between David and Harold is what made me love this book. Hope is a little flat and I struggled to care about her. It's a great read and I'll add Meade to my list of authors to follow. ...more
Cassie Godfrey
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. It hooked me from the first chapter and is the first book I’ve ever finished in 2 days. I was torn between wanting to devour it to learn more of the mystery, and wanting to slow down to absorb every word, every detail. It’s incredible!
Ted Duke
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult review to write because it concerns mental problems which only the patient can really understand.

David appears to suffer from mild depression until he encounters a beautiful redhead, Hope. She has been horribly burned and you get the impression that has traumatized her and affected her behavior.

Obviously, you say? Yes, but there is more too it. They are good together for awhile, but ...

A difficult read because it drags at times. Why? His depression gets worse. A lot of import
Erin
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book- the characters, the plot, the writing. Really enjoyable novel.
Sheila Payne
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Almost a 5 star....so just read it!
Mary Jo Garofalo
The story was not that bad but there was way to much "off the beaten path" description for me. I probably skipped half of the book trying to get to the meat of the story. Just my opinion! ...more
Carla Karp
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It kept my attention and was very readable. I didn’t feel good reading this book, though not in the good way that I like. I also disliked probably all of the characters, except Harold, and didn’t find them particularly believable. Didn’t believe their motivations or that they actually existed. I’m now possibly talking myself into bringing this down to 3 stars. But it was a decent read and I needed that right now.
Lauren
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Vivid characters, so many twists and turns throughout the book. I could not put this book down.
Rebecca
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Definitely would recommend and keeps you interested
Emwalz
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Engaging, quick read. Suspense and characters you immediately connect with. Would recommend!
Margaret Moran
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great twists and turns

As I read this book and got into the life of the main character I could actually feel his insecurities and anxieties. It was great following his path into the past.
Stacy
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• What No One Tells You: A Guide to Your Emotions from Pregnancy to Motherhood
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Scent Keeper
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
  • Code Name Hélène
  • 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3)
  • The Grammarians
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Made for Love
  • Valentine
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • Oona Out of Order