Start by marking “The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)

The Diseased Ones

(The Hollis Timewire Series #1)

Life is easy in 2647, unless you're a Diseased One...

On the morning of her 16th birthday, Hollis Timewire receives the worst possible news. She can't become a citizen of the world. She's a Diseased One.

Born with a biomarker that bestows dangerous, brain-altering powers, Hollis is forced to hide underground with other Diseased Ones, who believe that the government
Paperback
Published February 8th 2020 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Diseased Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diseased Ones

Start your review of The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)
Jessica Smith
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is being posted as part of an upcoming Blog Tour for the release, be sure to head on over to my blog on the 15th of February to see this review (plus the giveaway associated with it) and the rest of my reviews :)

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Acorn Publishing, via Xpresso Tours in exchange for an honest review as part of a Blog Tour.

Actual rating of 4.5

Hollis Timewire has finally made it. It's the morning of her sixteenth birthday and she's on her way to
Inkslinger
The Diseased Ones by Danielle Harrington

ARC provided by XpressoTours, Acorn Publishing, and Danielle Harrington. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

(I received this novel as an ARC. All opinions are mine and freely given.)

'The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series Book 1)' by Danielle Harrington is an urban dystopian story about a society that is basically all about a 'purity' and 'cleansing' of its people. A lot of metaphors can be drawn here, but I really don't feel like it's driven by
Holly Kammier
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was so fast-paced and EXCITING. I fell in love with the characters and was sad when the story ended. It reminded me of The Hunger Games, only better!! I recommend The Diseased Ones to anyone who loves YA Fantasy.
Michelle Lizotte
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
INCREDIBLE! From the moment I turned the first page, I was swept away into a futuristic world of structure and perfection only to find that there was a dark secret lurking behind this polished, robotic society. The struggle between truth and lies had me intrigued the whole time. Hollis, the main character, is so real. I found myself on her side even when I knew she was wrong. What she felt, I felt. The pressure to be perfect and live up to the expectations of those around her was such a ...more
United Indie Book Blog
The Diseased Ones is an interesting take on a dystopian world. Is a cross between X-men and The Hunger Games for me. I’m not sure how I feel about either side and who is really telling the truth. Hollis is so black and white thinking when she is pulled into the grey it has her questioning everything she knows. I’m interested to see what happens next and how Hollis will get out of the trouble she seems to have found.
Review by Raychel
Lois Lane
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3020-plan
Well-written YA about a girl struggling to accept her superpowers and the fact that everything she’s been told about the past is false. The author does a good job of showing the struggle Hollis has with accepting the truth. However, too much of this felt like the same old YA dystopian formula. I felt as though I’d read this kind of plot one time too many.
K.A. Fox
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When everything you've ever known is taken away, and the people you believed would protect you want to destroy you, what can you do?

Survive.

Hollis Timewire wants to be everything society expects her to be, everything her parents expect her to be. The problem is, she's something much more. What some might call a gift, Hollis considers a curse. Can she ever find a way to return to the life she once knew? Or is she destined to forever be a diseased one?

If you love X-Men and Legend, you'll love
Kimberly Mearns
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The becoming of age story of Hollis Timewire. Torn from a world she had grown up in, to a new world she struggles to feel she belongs in, Hollis faces so many situations a teenager does. Fitting in with groups of friends, finding who she is, with a hint of teenage romance. Based on the year 2647, the times are not like they are now. An adventure packed, fast paced story that will leave you turning page after page to see what happens next. And an ending that will absolutely shock you.
Bravo,
Jennie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly amazing!! It’s takes you through a journey of a 16 year old girl who grew up believing the lies of an emotionless society, but then through discovering emotions she experiences freedom for the first time. I’ve never really liked to read until I read this book. The plot is intricate with unpredictable twists and turns. The Characters are all unique and well described. I never had any trouble imagining what was happening because the details are very well described. Overall I ...more
Luke Lizotte
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Hollis has struggles to do the right thing. She is constantly reminded of her previous life as a society member and has to struggle with all of her decisions in her quest to find the truth. It is full of action and surprises and I would recommend this book to anyone.
Good job!
Skyler
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short Version: If you love YA Fantasy and a badass MC, then you definitely need to give The Diseased Ones a read! Once I started, I could not put this book down!

Longer Version: Something that I really appreciate about this book is how Danielle was able to create a unique set of characters and world building in a genre that is already quite saturated. The Diseased Ones is set apart from similar books in that Hollis, is relatable AND human! In fact, all of the characters reflect those qualities.

Sydney
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh! My! Gosh! This book was so good! I really can't find the words! My heart was pulled in every direction and I swear, I couldn't put this thing down. I have never heard of or read a book like this. It's so creative and original and I love it. I love the way the feeling of magic is described! Like how it flows through you and then bam! So cool! Hollis is truly a perfect protagonist. She makes mistakes and learns from them, just like real people! I love how I feel like I know her, even though ...more
Tami
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great fast read! Reminds me of divergent ,which I love. I received my copy from voracious readers for my review
Heather D
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author's style of writing. This book flows in its story line. I was so intrigued with the world of Hollis Timewire and the life-altering circumstances that she faced. I completely enjoyed reading this book and found myself shocked at the ending. I highly recommend this book to fans of dystopian fiction!
Jessica Campbell
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm definitely looking forward to more.
Caylie Mosset
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, first of all, OMG this book!! Its amazing!!!

This book follows Hollis in her journey of learning about her abilities and the abilities of others. It also follows her quest for answers and truth.

She is a very likeable character and I cheered for her through the entire journey. The emotion throughout the book was amazing. I felt everything as Hollis did. Danielle did amazing at getting her readers into the mind of Hollis.

I highly recommend this book and seriously cant wait for the next one!
Grace  La Vone
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book held me from beginning to end. I'm usually a slow reader - it takes me almost an entire month to finish a book. I flew threw The Diseased Ones extremely fast and held onto every single word. Hollis Timewire has to be my FAVORITE Young Adult Dystopian protagonist, which is very important because characters make a book for me. It was so refreshing to read through her perspective, because she was so flawed and realistic. I rooted for her throughout the entire book and truly wanted what ...more
Tony Lei
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What happens when everything one knows is a lie? That is what Hollis Timewire faces in this page turning novel. The suspense keeps one on the edge. Torn between two worlds, struggling between truths and lies, Hollis brings us on a life changing journey to seek the truth, and to discover herself in the process. A spectacular novel full of unexpected friendships and a touch of romance. Highly recommended! Can’t wait to read the next book in the series!
V S Moffat
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Diseased Ones, which was quite different from my usual reading. Set in a dystopian era the world is an emotionless place. Children are brought up to believe that emotion must be contained in order to stop another war which almost destroyed the world over 100 years previously. The war was supposedly started by the "diseased ones" and every child when they reach the age of 16 is tested. Hollis is tested and found positive for the biomarker and is immediately plunged into a ...more
Stephanie Fuller
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome read..couldnt put book down
Thank you Danielle Harrington for a brilliant story .
Karin Biggs
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Attention Shatter Me fans! There is a new superhero in town and her name is Hollis Timewire! In The Diseased Ones, Book One of the Hollis Timewire series, debut YA author Danielle Harrington delivers a dystopic superhero tale set in the year 2647. This is the first book in the series, so most of the plot is focused on Hollis's discovery of her powers, the hidden world of 'The Diseased Ones' and her struggle to accept her new calling or return home. There is a romantic subplot which is always a ...more
Josée
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At 16 years old Hollis living in an emotionless world is brought to the testing center to see if she has the biomarker for the “ diseased ones” that gives them brain altering powers....Right from the beginning I was hooked! Loved the characters and the whole world that this author created. So excited to have found this author! Looking forward to reading more of her books.
Gabrielle Lizotte
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!! The storyline kept me on edge the entire time and I wanted to know what happened next at the end of each chapter. I loved the plot, the characters, and character development. The world Danielle created was so genius and simply so intriguing. The writing was smooth and I could picture everything described. There was a mix of intense, sad, and touching elements in the storyline as well as humor and romance. Totally recommend!
Steven Harrington
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible journey from beginning to end! The Diseased Ones creates an interesting, dynamic world with relatable characters. The tension and mystery in the book steadily grows and keeps the reader wondering just what will happen next, even until the final chapter. One of the best books I've read in the last decade, for sure.
Janet Texas
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories of a dystopian future I have read. A future where some people are cursed with a bio-marker giving them super abilities - and identifying them as "diseased ones" who are a blight on civilized society. I highly recommend this book.
Gemma Winkelman
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome fast paced YA dystopian. The world is reminiscent of the divergent series, but a heavy dose of superpowers take this fantasy to the next level. Nail biting action, vivid world building, and a hint of romance. Well done!
Molly Douglas
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story with incredible characters. Gripping and fun!!!
Bespectacled Petal
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In The Diseased Ones, it is the year 2647 and Hollis Timewire has discovered she was born with a biomarker that alters her genetic makeup. This makes her one of the Diseased Ones which means she will have to leave society. However, she is carried to live with other Diseased Ones in their underground hideout. Here, she discovers that what she grew up learning in school may not be the truth and the government edited history to cover up their horrific crimes. However, all Hollis wants is to go home ...more
Anie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia
This book is sooo good!!!

It pulled me in from the very first page and I couldn't stop reading, until the end. The storyline is very interesting and the characters, the setting it all just jumps out.

Hollis is trying very hard to be just like society wants her to be, not shoving emotions, being obedient, do it all perfectly. On her sixteenth birthday, she has to get tested, to see if she has bad blood if she is the diseased one. Despite odds being very, very low, she is tested positive. When they
Hannah Katarama Reads
What would you do if you found out that everything you've been taught has been a lie?

On the morning of her sixteenth birthday, Hollis Timewire receives the worst possible news: she can't become a citizen of the world. She's a diseased one. Born with a biomarker that bestows dangerous, brain-altering powers, Hollis is forced to hide underground with other Diseased Ones, who believe the government falsified history to cover up their genocide.

The new world that Hollis has been cast into is full of

• Chasing Shadows (The Ghost Hunter Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mercenary's Daughter
  • Desolation: A Post-Nuclear Survival Series (Desolation Book 1)
  • Invasion
  • Arion Rising
  • The Devil's Own (Murphy's Law, #1)
  • Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
  • The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
  • Tact: A Pride and Prejudice Variation