Start by marking “The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)

The Diseased Ones

(The Hollis Timewire Series #1)

Life is easy in 2647, unless you're a Diseased One...

On the morning of her 16th birthday, Hollis Timewire receives the worst possible news. She can't become a citizen of the world. She's a Diseased One.

Published February 8th 2020 by Acorn Publishing (first published January 13th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Diseased Ones, please sign up.
Danielle Harrington Yes it does have a cliff-hanger ending. This is book 1 in a 4 book series :)

Start your review of The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)
Carmen
I received a copy from Acorn Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

It’s 2647 and Hollis Timewire has been waiting her entire life to finally enter society. Living in a world where people with superpowers and human emotion have been eradicated, all she has to do is take one simple blood test on her sixteenth birthday to prove she’s just an average person. Once she passes, she can start her first work assignment and become an official citizen. Unfortunately for Hollis, ther
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Thank you to the author for the free ebook.

After some debate I decided to go with 3/5 stars. Its definitely obvious that it is the author's first published book. It has an interesting story idea. It's got all the parts you need for a great book but falls a little shy.

I think my biggest issue is there is SO MUCH telling and not enough showing. Rather than showing emotions we get to be told the emotions. And then there is a little romance that just builds from absolutely nothing. Hollis was not al
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

On the day of Hollis Timewire's 16th birthday, she discovers that she is a Diseased One. "I am a Diseased One, and that's a death sentence." Hollis is suddenly flooded with an unbelievable power, able to stop and possibly kill anyone in her path. All of her life, she has lived as a member of the Society, without showing emotions. "The path to a perfect society is perfect obedience."

She finds herself transported against her will to an underground compound full of other Diseased Ones
Thais • tata.lifepages •
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review: 3.5 Stars

The Diseased ones tells the story of Hollis set in a dystopian world in the year 2647. The world-building is captivating! I love the entire concept of the "diseased ones"; a mutation of the blood that gives whoever possesses it unique abilities. I also find greatly intriguing how society established what is the norm for behavior of its citizens, who are not allowed to show emotions or any type of feelings, which are characteristics of the Diseased Ones.

Hollis never imagined she
Rainu Arora
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Title - The Diseased Ones
Author - Danielle Harrington
Genre - Dystopian
Pages - 301
Format - e-book
'The Diseased Ones' is the first book of the 'Hollis Time wire series'. The story revolves around the protagonist Hollis Time wire, who on her 16th birthday comes to know that she is diseased one and can't enter the world. She is forced to live in an underground society of diseased ones where she learns about emotions and meets Tiffany Chang. Read the book to know what happens next.
Review -
The c
Jessica (Read book. Repeat)
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is being posted as part of an upcoming Blog Tour for the release, be sure to head on over to my blog on the 15th of February to see this review (plus the giveaway associated with it) and the rest of my reviews :)

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Acorn Publishing, via Xpresso Tours in exchange for an honest review as part of a Blog Tour.

Actual rating of 4.5

Hollis Timewire has finally made it. It's the morning of her sixteenth birthday and she's on her way to gradua
Ilenia(farawaybooklands)
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks Danielle Harrington for giving me the ebook copy in exchange for an honest review!!!
▪︎
▪︎
SYNOPSIS
Life is easy in 2647, unless you're a Diseased One...

Born with a biomarker that bestows dangerous, brain-altering powers, Hollis is forced to hide underground with other Diseased Ones, who believe that the government falsified history to cover up
Sharon Y. Gavette
Diseased ones

I couldn't put this book down. The emotions were so well written and the abilities well described that it keeps the reader involved in the story.
Estelle Tudor
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, immersive and will leave you wanting more! So well written with a great concept. Hollis Timewire, (great name!) discovers on her 16th birthday that she is one of the 'diseased ones' and has to try to accept that she is no longer part of the society she grew up in. This book tells the story of how she battles with that fact and of her struggles with trying to find her new place amongst the diseased ones. The ending is a great cliffhanger and I can't wait for book two by this talented au ...more
Inkslinger
The Diseased Ones by Danielle Harrington

ARC provided by XpressoTours, Acorn Publishing, and Danielle Harrington. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

(I received this novel as an ARC. All opinions are mine and freely given.)

'The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series Book 1)' by Danielle Harrington is an urban dystopian story about a society that is basically all about a 'purity' and 'cleansing' of its people. A lot of metaphors can be drawn here, but I really don't feel like it's driven by s
Debabrata Mishra
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful mixture of feelings and emotions

𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤:-
📚ⓉⒾⓉⓁⒺ:- The Diseased Ones
🖋️ⒶⓊⓉⒽⓄⓇ:- Danielle Harrington
🗞️ⓅⓊⒷⓁⒾⓈⒽⒺⓇ:- Kindle
🔤ⓁⒶⓃⒼⓊⒶⒼⒺ:- English
📖ⒻⓄⓇⓂⒶⓉ:- Kindle
𝑺𝒚𝒏𝒐𝒑𝒔𝒊𝒔:-
This is the first part of Hollis timeware series.Hollis is a small girl of 16 years old. She has a bio mark and in 2647 it is a very critical one. Now Hollis has to pass a medical test. But unfortunately she failed in the test and now she is a Diseased one. She sent to a teleported place where she met Tiffany Chang wh
Saachi Kaur
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Title - The Diseased Ones
Author - Danielle Harrington
💫💫💫💫💫💫💫
Diseased ones are those who lied, murdered and killed people in war dating back to a hundred years. This is what is taught to everyone including Hollis Timewire by the government-controlled education centre.
What happens when Hollis herself is convicted of being a diseased one but not for any murder or kill.
She is the one who has complete faith that the government is trying to protect her when actually it's the one trying to kill her in
Min (abookworld___)
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing world building and great concept.
Most of her life Hollis has looked up to the government and mound herself to be the perfect citizen, but as she failed the test and labeled as a Diseased One, her world came crashing down.
After rescued and spent her life in an underground facility with the other Diseased Ones hiding from the world, Hollis has learnt that the government was hiding something big from the world.
Hollis is such an amazing character as she grew from the frighten girl after d
Fab Vyshu
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice
Tien
oh man, talk about cliffhanger ending!

*full review to come
Nicholas Gagnier
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been on my TBR since the author first talked about it. I was not disappointed. Hunger Games fans will appreciate this genre thriller— characters are solid, storyline cohesive. Looking forward to seeing more from this author.
Emmi
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of the best books I have read in a while I couldn’t put it down for the life of me and can’t wait to see what happens next
Jessa Pearl
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This is such a great ya scifi debut by Danielle! Always love a dystopian corrupt government! Hollis and her constant mental battle to understand what is real and who she can trust felt exceptionally real to me. Looking forward to reading more about this world in book two, because this one sure as hell left me hanging!
Skyler
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short Version: If you love YA Fantasy and a badass MC, then you definitely need to give The Diseased Ones a read! Once I started, I could not put this book down!

Longer Version: Something that I really appreciate about this book is how Danielle was able to create a unique set of characters and world building in a genre that is already quite saturated. The Diseased Ones is set apart from similar books in that Hollis, is relatable AND human! In fact, all of the characters reflect those qualities.

T
Amanda McMillian
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I honestly COULD NOT put this book down! From beginning to end, this book was so well written.
Plot: Hollis is a believable character with a special ability. She finds herself far from her family, unable to return. As she learns more about her ability, she has to make a tough decision: return home, or sacrifice who she is? Mixed with action, young love and all the feels, I can see this movie hitting the big screen soon!
Thank you, Danielle, for this fun read! I can't WAIT to follow this story to i
Domi
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A test you have to do at age 16... not original. But I think I have said it before: sometimes originality is overrated. Hollis turns out to have an almost extinct biomarker which makes her A Diseased One and unfit to take part in society...so people with guns try to kill her but she gets saved at the last moment by a group of other diseased ones.
The culture shock between the society Hollis knows and the civilization underground is put into words very well. Normally I don't really like the first
Neelam Mungekar
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘The Diseased Ones’ by Danielle Harrington is a book is set in the year 2647 where our protagonist Hollis gets the worst news on her birthday that one would ever expect. She gets to know on her birthday that she had failed the test that she had undertaken at the testing centre. But what will be done later she is not sure and soon she learns from the doctor that she is at a certain level of the disease. She was soon taken to a different place where there are many people who are similar to her. S ...more
Kaitlyn Kelly
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was provided a copy of this book to review from the author in exchange for my honest opinion💖
"emotion leads to conflict, and conflict leads to war. Wars have been fought over hatred, jealousy, power, wealth, love . . . neutrality guarantees equality. I understand it now. I’m not a murderer, but this ability almost made me one."
The test is a rite of passage. A symbol of my purity and worth as a citizen of the world. If tested positive it means you are a diseased one.
It's 2647
The terror war le
Skye Horn
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Diseased Ones had me hooked from page one.

The concept of having a world where emotions aren't allowed to be expressed is sooo relevant today. People in are often rebuked for showing emotion, but in Harrington's novel, the children are trained from a young age to be perfect members of society. They are controlled and brainwashed until there is no sense of individuality left.

I enjoyed following the journey of the main character, Hollis, even though I sometimes did not like her at all! It's h
Victoria Townsend
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am going to start this out with mentioning that I am not a huge book reader. Typically when I read books I get distracted / bored easily but this did not happen with the Diseased Ones! I stayed interested in the story line consistently throughout the book and finished it in a little over a week. The Diseased Ones reminds me of the other popular dystopian future books / movies (Hunger Games, the Giver, Maze Runner) and I personally really enjoyed the concept of a dystopian society where its mem ...more
Shané
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book. Ends on a massive cliffhanger so can't wait for the next one.

Do agree with other reviews that the main character does become a bit annoying in her way of thinking, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole plot. Also understand why the main character is they way she is. She is a 16 year old that has been indoctrinated to think a certain way. Wouldn't expect her to suddenly understand and believe everything that shows what she was taught is incorrect.

It is intriguing and keeps
Andy Thorn
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A highly original and thoroughly entertaining YA read. I enjoy a dystopian novel very much and this is the type that is also imbued with elements of social commentary and so is thought-provoking as well. ‘History is written by the victors’ is a key concept and though it is undoubtedly a YA read with a focus on the issues faced by older teenagers, there is a maturity to the novel that should endear it to older readers (like myself!) as well. I understand that this is the first of a planned 4 part ...more
Holly Kammier
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was so fast-paced and EXCITING. I fell in love with the characters and was sad when the story ended. It reminded me of The Hunger Games, only better!! I recommend The Diseased Ones to anyone who loves YA Fantasy.
Chandra (sincerelyabiblio)
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is such a good addition to the dystopian genre! I would highly recommend to those who enjoyed Divergent, The Maze Runner and Shatter Me. This novel is filled with fantasy, dystopia and budding romance, there is something in this novel for everyone!

Three Pros:
1. There is great character development for Hollis. She has been brainwashed all her life and as the reader, it’s easy for us to see which side is the right side. But it’s an interesting perspective seeing someone who is just so unsure
Aman Sharma
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book: The Diseased One (The Hollis Timewire Series #1)
Author: Danielle Harrington
Publisher: Acorn Publishing
Review-
Let’s take a leap to the future…Woooshhh!! It is the year 2647, everything is nice and technologically advanced and life is easy. It’s your birthday and you’re finally ready to step into the world with your own identity, feels so amazing, right!! But But But… The reality is not what meets the eyes. Life is indeed easy, but it’s a hell if you’re a ‘diseased one’ (The title of our bo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Stories of Us
  • The Rape Trial
  • Evolution Cradle: The Aryan Origin
  • Beyond The Night Before The Dawn
  • A Myna Flies
  • Sniper's Debt(7even Series Book 2)
  • Random Subterranean Mosaic 2012 – 2018 - Time frozen in myriad thoughts