Start by marking “The Animals at Lockwood Manor” as Want to Read:
The Animals at Lockwood Manor

The Animals at Lockwood Manor

A debut novel for fans of Sarah Perry and Kate Morton: when a young woman is tasked with safeguarding a natural history collection as it is spirited out of London during World War II, she discovers her new manor home is a place of secrets and terror instead of protection.

In August 1939, thirty-year-old Hetty Cartwright arrives at Lockwood Manor to oversee a natural history
Published March 10th 2020 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Animals at Lockwood Manor, please sign up.

Start your review of The Animals at Lockwood Manor
Paromjit
Jane Healey writes a dark, disturbing and slow moving gothic mystery with echoes of a number of classic novels, set amidst the background of WW2, the decline of the aristocracy and the social norms, attitudes and expectations of women in this period. It is 1939, 30 year old Hetty Cartwright is a museum curator charged with overseeing the removal and protection of the taxidermy mammal collection at the natural history museum to Lockwood Manor for the duration of the war. She finds her task ...more
Erin
Giveaway win!

The Animals at Lockwood Manor just was not for me. Nothing happens....

I mean AT ALL!

This book was so boring. The "mystery" wasn't a mystery, it was super obvious who behind all the strange happenings. This book was described as being sexy and spooky but it wasn't either of those things.

Jane Healey has a beautiful way with words but her plotting and storytelling could use some work.
Emma
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A creepy gothic manor haunted by ghosts of the past; an unpleasant lord of the manor with hidden secrets; creepy stuffed animals *shudder*. I suppose its true that valuable items from London museums were evacuated to prevent destruction in air raids? I enjoyed the story but couldnt particularly take to the main character Hetty. Many thanks to Netgalley for an arc of this book. ...more
Louise

Taxidermy? In my reading? And it didnt freak me out? Colour me surprised and intrigued.

Okay so, upfront, I loved The Animals at Lockwood Manor. Its got a really mysterious Gothic Jane Eyre vibe, but set during WW2 and with a sapphic relationship.

Jane Healey is a new-to-me author but I was blown away by her writing style. The pacing is slow and drawn-out (so something to watch out for if thats not your thing) which gradually builds up all the simmering tension thats brewing just under the
Chelsey
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
⭐⭐⭐⭐

A unique and wonderfully spun gothic mystery taking place in England during WWII. Hetty is promoted to Director of the Museum at the start of the war. She is tasked with safeguarding and accompanying many of the mammal specimens of the museum to Lockwood Manor where theyll reside during the war in hopes of being protected from the bombs expected to rain down on London. Lockwood is an enormous estate compromising of 92 rooms, several servants, Lord Lockwood, and his daughter Lucy. The
Michelle
Its the start of WW2 Hetty Cartwright is a museum curator in London in charge of the Mammal collection. When she is evacuated to Lockwood Manor with the collection to keep it safe against the air raids of London. Lockwood Manor is a big house with so many rooms, with not so many people to fill it. The lady of the manor tragically died left with the lord of the house and his daughter.
When the collection is brought to the house, Hetty struggles to keep up with keeping an eye on the collection and
Anna Luce
Mar 07, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 30%

While I understand that the Gothic is an inherently intertextual genre that is derivative by its very nature, I do expect something a bit more innovative from contemporary Gothic fiction.
Sadly, so far into Jane Healey's debut novel and we already have an abundance of on the nose references and little else: there is a red room (Jane Eyre), rumours of a ghost who known as 'the woman in white' (The Woman in White), and a creepy housekeeper + a huge mansion (Rebecca).
The Gothic atmosphere
Sheri
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It had been living here that had turned my mother and I mad... I was sure that something still lurked here inside these walls, something hidden, something - someone - malevolent and wrong.

As German bombs threaten London, Lockwood Manor receives some unusual evacuees - the animal exhibits of a London natural history museum, presided over by museum worker Hetty Cartwright.

The house, inhabited by unpleasant Major Lockwood and his fragile daughter Lucy, has seen its own recent tragedies: Lucys
Vicky
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though less overtly creepy than A Shadow on the Lens, this book is plenty unsettling in its own right. And it also happens to be historical: set in World War Two, to be exact, though Ive never read anything quite like it before.

The heroine of the story is Hetty, a young woman sent to Lockwood Manor to be the caretaker of a collection of rare taxidermy animals for the museum that shes employed by. But things arent as simple as they first appear: the animals are vanishing, or moving, the manor
Sally
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself absolutely lost in this book. The atmosphere of Lockwood Manor just pulled me right into the story, following Hetty as she tries to keep the animal collection safe in its temporary home.

As the threat of bombing looms, the extensive animal collection of London's Natural History Museum is evacuated to a safer location at Lockwood Manor. Hetty Cartwright is appointed as the guardian of the collection, and moves alongside it to take up residence at Lockwood Manor. However, almost as
Janet
By turns spooky and sexy, dream-like and uneasy, Jane Healeys THE ANIMALS AT LOCKWOOD MANOR is the perfect read for fans of Sarah Waters and historical fiction. ...more
4cats
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 1939, and a young female museum curator is evacuated with the musems mammal collection to Lockwood Manor, where she will remain for the duration of the war, caring and watching over the collection.

Hetty soon finds herself clashing with Lord Lockwood who looks at the collection as something he can use to his advantage. She befriends Lucy, Lord Lockwood's daughter who is dealing with the death of her mother and grandmother and who is haunted by her past and the secrets held within the walls
Desi (Pastel Pages)
I wanted to love this sooooooo much. I wanted it to live up to the idea presented in the synopsis. I don't know if it's because I read a different (5 star) thriller before this, or if I just wasn't in the mood.. but it just felt too slow the entire time. I usually love slow books, but this one just didn't do it for me. It didn't focus enough on the suspense and thrill, and I was not a fan of the romance. To me, the romance took away from the story and felt unnecessary. I was so close to DNF'ing ...more
Sarah-Hope
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweissplus, 2020
World War II. A young woman finds herself curator of mammals at the British Museum as more and more men head off to fight. With the threat of air raids, the Mammals are shipped off to a country mansion. Where they are attacked by parasites, move about, disappear...? As the young curator grows increasingly close to the adult daughter living in the mansion, the Lord (and father) grows increasingly threatening.

If you've read much in the way of psychological suspense novels, you can pretty much
Sarah Wilson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for a this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this novel, and found myself thinking about it even after I had put it down.

Hetty Cartwright finds herself at Lockwood manor during ww2 with a collection of exhibits from the National Museum which she has been charged with keeping safe during the blitz. What follows is an intriguing , Gothic tale which I can honestly say went in a direction I was not expecting.

I really enjoyed
Thebooktrail
animals at lockwood manor

visit the locations in the novel

This book has all the ingredients I really love in a novel. A gothic manor house in the English countryside, secrets galore within and some cranky old characters you cant trust. Add to this, something which I would find interesting to see in a museum but frightening to see in a house stuffed animals and that ramps up the interest right from the off. Should I read this at night I asked myself? I was not brave enough to in the end and that was a good decision.

The
Jodie Matthews
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Animals of Lockwood Manor is love story and thriller in one, detailing obsession: with work, with ghosts, with people and with the house.

Like all great gothic fiction, Lockwood Manor itself is a character within the story, with one of the narrators, Lucy, saying that she has the houses name - the manor has a hold over the inhabits: the Lockwood family, the evacuated museum workers, and the host of wild and rare taxidermy museum specimens.
Janes writing is intelligent and opulent and lyrical
Heather Nazmdeh
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprising book not reflected by its title. The animals in question are stuffed mammals from a London museum that are evacuated to Lockwood Manor to be kept safe during the war. The person in charge of them is a woman, Hetty, serious, introspective and quite unable to deal with the brash and bullying Lord of the Manor. What develops is a tale of intrigue, unexpected love, spooky happening and a terrific climax. Well written, multi-layered, a satsifying, interesting read.
Kate Smith
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully written, magical read.
I was swept away with Hettie and her animals, feeling as protective of them as she was. Well written characters, settings to get lost in, and a story that really drew me in.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to Netgalley and Jane Healey for the ARC copy of this amazing book.
OLT
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel by young Scottish author Jane Healey. (An aside here that she is not to be confused with U.S. Bostonian Jane Healey, author of THE BEANTOWN GIRLS and THE SATURDAY EVENING GIRLS CLUB.) Set in 1939, during the beginning of Britain's entry into WWII, the story merely uses the war as an incidental backdrop that's not really essential to the plot.

The basic plot has Hetty Cartwright, employee of a London natural history museum, put in charge of the relocation to outside London
Gem ~ Bee
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, this is such a STUNNING cover, by Neil Lang Designs, that has both obvious and subtle links to the content of this beautifully gothic and nostalgic story centred around a deteriorating manor house and a treasured museum collection of mammals & birds.

I was enraptured with this Gothic delight, it is part ghost story, part romance, part historical capturing the essence of rural life in the 1940's during World War 2. How villages used to very little change had to adapt and evolve almost
Justine Windsor
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book; it is beautifully written, full of intrigue, spookiness and slow-burning passion. Hetty, Lucy and Lord Lockwood are all well drawn, but perhaps Lord Lockwood was a little less vibrant than the two women. I adored the animals as well, they provided a unique backdrop to the story and their fate is entwined with that of Hetty and Lucy.

I highly recommend this book, especially for anyone who has enjoyed Jane Eyre or Rebecca or Brideshead Revisited as I think The Animals at Lockwood
Beadyjan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful - loved it, review to follow.
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
Jane Healey masters the craftwork of heavenly prose like a seamstress weaving silk - her descriptive prowess and articulation of dark atmospheric tone is simply divine. This book demands to be read by the hearth, with a mug of something warm, and in a smart, British accent (or at least that's what I did.)

Set in 1939, aspiring museum director Hetty Cartwright is tasked with the job of a lifetime - to oversee the relocation of a mammal exhibit for a London gallery to Lockwood Manor in an attempt
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
A rich, atmospheric dream of a book that had me hooked from the start. The setting of the Manor is claustrophobic, and the creeping sense of unease is brought wonderfully to life with dark uninhabited corridors, ghostly hand imprints on mirrors, missing museum pieces, nightmares and unwelcoming staff. As well as being a wonderfully paced mystery, the book perfectly captures a dynamic point in time when society changes were particularly pronounced. The country estates of the rich were suffering ...more
Joanne Liddement
During the outbreak of WWII, Hetty Cartwright, a museum curator from London, is given the task of moving a valuable collection of taxidermy mammals and birds, to Lockwood Manor, a rambling and dreary manor house out in the countryside.
However Lockwood Manor has it's own secrets, when the animals start to appear around different parts of the house, when they have been locked away, and it is obvious things are not what they seem.
Hetty along with Lucy, the daughter of Major Lockwood, the owner of
Theresa Smith
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shades of Kate Morton and Kayte Nunn merge with themes akin to Rebecca within this moody and atmospheric historical mystery. Nothing is what it seems at Lockwood Manor. Is it haunted? Or is there something more sinister afoot?

One thing that I was sure of quite early on in the story was the vile nature of Lord Lockwood. With a predilection for very young women, gas lighting seemed to be his default setting. The way he treated Hetty from the get-go was appalling but that was nothing compared to
Katherine Younkin
Hattie, a junior administrator at a London Museum is charged with the removal, care, and protection of numerous valuable mammal specimens taken to Lockwood Manor away from the threat of German bombs during WWII. She is socially awkward and devoted to the preservation of her collection, but ill-equipped to deal with the imperious attitude of Lord Lockwood. She also finds herself drawn to Lord Lockwoods daughter, Lucy. Lucy is a tragic figure who has suffered the recent loss of both her mother and ...more
Maine Colonial
I received a free publisher's advance review copy.

From the book description, I was expecting a Gothic suspense novel. I think thats what the author intended, too. Certainly there are an awful lot of characters, situations and themes taken straight from classics of the genre. The problem, though, is that this book didnt raise my heart rate one little bit.

Parts of the museum collection disappear and move places in Lockwood Manor, Hetty sees and hears things in the dark corridors, and its just not
Jessie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had quite high expectations for The Animals at Lockwood Manor, and it was great! The story had an amazing gothic quality to it and it really remembered me of a lot of my favourite gothic classics (especially Jane Eyre!). Nevertheless, this beautiful story was definitely one in its own right and - although taking inspiration from gothic literature, Healey managed to write her own story with its own gripping plot and characters. There were small parts where I felt like the book slumped a bit, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bookish First Rea...: The Animals at Lockwood Manor by Jane Healey 4 6 Nov 16, 2019 03:51PM

• Lady of the Ravens
  • You Let Me In
  • The Lost Lights of St Kilda
  • One Day You'll Burn
  • Remembrance
Jane Healey was named after Jane Eyre but, growing up in a Victorian farmhouse that was rumoured to be haunted, was initially too frightened of the ghost in the red-room to read past the second chapter. She returned to it successfully during her English Literature degree at Warwick University and later wrote her MSc dissertation at Edinburgh University on ghosts, mothers, and libraries as ...more

Articles featuring this book

Every new year ushers in a brand-new class of debut authors to discover. And the beginning of 2020 has plenty of fresh new voices to add to you...