Start by marking “Going Up!” as Want to Read:
Going Up!

Going Up!

An elevator ride to a birthday party turns into a shared experience bursting with joy in this multicultural story about community, togetherness and the special feeling of belonging.

Today is Olive's birthday party, and Sophie and her dad have baked cookies. Sophie's dad holds the platter so Sophie can push the elevator button for the tenth floor. But on the way up, the
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Hachette Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Going Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Up!

Start your review of Going Up!
Toni
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophie and her Dad are invoted to a birthday party on the tenth floor of their block of flats. They take a lift which stops almost on every floor and more and more people from their wonderful multicultural community get in. The book made me think about my own neighbourhood and its great diversity.
The stoy is very simple, but it is a sweet and happy one, where people from different ethnithities, religions, gender, age and ability love and support each other.It is important to read books like this
La Coccinelle
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This slightly claustrophobic picture book is rather cute, showing a community of friends all gathering together for a birthday party as the elevator takes them up to the tenth floor.

The story is told by Sophie, who goes to the party with her dad. They live on the first floor, so they take their cookies that they baked and get into the elevator. As they stop at each floor, more and more friends get on. And they're a diverse bunch. There's the Santucci brothers, who look like aging rockers (but
Natalie
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is a cute and beautifully illustrated book about a party that everyone in an apartment block has been invited to.
This book shows how we are all different and unique ad how even though we are different we can still all be friends. A great book about community spirit for children.
İlkim
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

What a sweet story!

I loved it and smiled at every page. Those variations in characters / families are really enjoyable, drawings are so cute. And the message is important. I would suggest this book to all young readers.
Etienne
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,5/5. Simple and already seen kind of story but still a good and fun book about living together, even if we are all so different in some ways, we are very similar in others!
Fazila's Book Review Corner
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FULL REVIEW

DISCLAIMER : Thank you NetGalley and Kids Can Press for this ARC.

I loved this book. It was fun, vibrant, simplistic in its executions with beautiful illustrations. The story shows a wonderful cast of characters and they all share their ride happily. The comfort, sense of community is evident and we see they all have good relationship and friendships with one another. The urban experience of living in buildings and the riding of elevator to different homes, the multicultural diversity
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute picture book about a magic elevator.

No, not really. It isn't magic. It just manages to hold everyone from 9 other floors in it, while it goes up and up to the 10th floor where the party is.

And what a wonderful group of people that are picked up, people of all sizes, shapes, nationalities, religions and ideologies.

Plus cats and dogs.

A fun picture book to read through and look at everyone involved.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Amit Verma
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Generally elevators catch imagination of little kids. They love to go up and down in it. With appropriate company and precautions kids love to play the game of elevator.
This cute story is about a building, people living in it, a giant elevator and a planned birthday party.
It is a cozy story decorated by vivid colorful artwork.
Different people from different cultural background assemble at 10th floor to celebrate a birthday.
With them they bring their best gifts and eatables.
Our main character a
Donna Maguire
Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 7th April 2020 - publication day!

I thought that this was a fun book, it was easy to follow and the images were good
I liked the mix of characters that were in the story too
It is 4 stars from me for this one - highly recommended!
Andrew
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Going Up! is a bright and boisterous book! It all starts on the first floor of the narrator's apartment building-- as she and her father go up the elevator, more and more of their friendly neighbors stack in on their way to Olive's birthday party on the tenth floor! Who will they greet at each level? And a better question-- will they all be able to fit in the elevator? Entertaining and sweet, this book is sure to put a smile on your face, as it did mine.
Meghan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Kids Can Press in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was so adorably brilliant. I almost laughed with joy that everybody in the building was so friendly and they held the door open for anyone and their pets even when the elevator was at max capacity. Then later we came to realize that it was all for being together for a dog's birthday party. Every floor picked up somebody new and no
Amy Layton
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
When Olive invites everyone to her party, she really meanteveryone. How can so many people from each floor fit into one single elevator? And it's not just people, but their pets and instruments and pastries and gifts! Everyone's laughing, filled with love and community, and they all want nothing more than to make this birthday party a smashing hit. With adorable illustrations that feature a wide variety of characters (bikers, musicians, introverts, extroverts, Korean, black, differently abled, ...more
Rather.be.reading1
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this cute book. It was slightly longer than I anticipated it being, but that did not affect the book. It had a simple concept, but a very cute message about community and different types of people and I really think we need books like this right now.
Eve beinguniquebooks
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous for showing a sense of community in a tower block of flats/appartments. People and dogs of all ages join in the party fun with their friends and family to celebrate their friends birthday all together bringing their own treats to the party to share together.

The illustrations brought the story to life and I loved how the characters had a pencil sketch and coloured in feel about them too.

It was a great read that'll teach children about sharing, caring and helping others
Amanda
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book features families of many kinds getting on to an elevator to attend a birthday party in an apartment building - the people and the families that get on are all happy and diverse. There is representation for different kinds of families and many skin colors, as well as diversity in last names. The illustrations are detailed enough that my child had fun searching for things, and it could create interesting conversations for older students. The words were simple and repetitive, and lend ...more
Emily
There’s a party for Olive on the 10th floor, and Sophie and her dad are going up! Olive is popular—the elevator stops at every floor, and Sophie tells us who’s getting on and what they’re bringing. Families of many configurations and origins bringing treats like gulab jamun pile in. “Going up!” is a repeated refrain after each floor. Somehow, everyone fits and arrives at Olive’s party, where we learn from the illustration that Olive is a dog and her human is a young woman in a wheelchair. That ...more
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sophie and her father ride the elevator to the 10th floor for Olive’s birthday. The elevator makes a few stops along the way as they pick up other partygoers. With each floor, the excitement grows!

I loved that the author represented a variety of cultures and backgrounds in this book. The bright illustrations provide funny details and reflect the party vibe. Children will love guessing who gets on next!
Andréa
Note: I accessed digital review copies of this book through Edelweiss and NetGalley.
Megan Schmelzer
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Going Up! by Sherry J. Lee is an adorable book about love within a community.

Sophie and her dad were invited to a birthday party on the 10th floor of their building. They decide to make their favorite cookies to celebrate a fun occasion. On each floor, the elevator stops and new neighbors enter the elevator. By the 10th floor, the elevator is packed, and everyone is excited to get the birthday party started!

Going Up! is a picture book that celebrates diversity. Each floor contains new neighbors
Donald Scott
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This sweet-natured picture book's premise is simple: it's Olive's birthday, and Olive lives way up on the ten floor of Sophie's apartment building. There's even a party to celebrate, and Sophie and her dad have made some cookies to take upstairs. Like most kids, Sophie loves elevators, and readily pushes the button for the tenth floor, but on the way the elevator stops at every floor heading up and a new neighbor - or set of neighbors - gets on, bearing treats or decorations for Olive's party as ...more
joyce w. laudon
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sophie and her Dad are invited to Olive's birthday party. They get ready by dressing up and making food to bring with them. When it is time to attend the party, how do they get there? They go by elevator!

As Sophie and her dad make their way to the tenth floor, the elevator gets pretty crowded! Young listeners will enjoy the exuberant illustrations as everyone squeezes in. When they arrive, there is a good party.

That's it. This is a simple but fun book that young listeners will enjoy. The
Kasey Gilbert Poindexter
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sophia and her father are making their way up to the 10th floor of their building for a birthday party. The elevator picks up a plethora of neighbors along the way, revealing a building full of very different people.

There is a lot of diversity in this book, which is always refreshing. The names of some of the neighbors really match their eclectic nature and the little twist at the end is cute.

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.*
Storywraps
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the author's debut book and it is a wonderful one. Sophie and her dad Leonard have been invited to Olive's birthday party and together they bake cookies for the occasion. The party is happening on the 10th floor party room so it will be easy-peazy to get there... just hop on the elevator outside their door and push button # 10. Going up!

Dad allows Sophie to push the button because that is her favourite part of the ride. As the elevator ascends more and more people squish inside. There
Sarah- Pupsandprose
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Going Up is about a young girl and her dad and their trip up to the tenth floor of their apartment building for a birthday party.

On their way up to the birthday party the elevator stops at almost every floor to let a new person get on. Each person has their own individual characteristics and I absolutely loved the diversity. There are people of different genders, races, and ages. As well as an individual in a wheelchair. I love the message that, even though every person in the elevator is
Theediscerning
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A slight – perhaps it should be slender, for the proportions of the real thing – look at inclusion. Literally everyone in the block of apartments has been invited to go the same birthday party, and all decide to get in the one and the same lift carriage to it. Still, there'd be no book if they didn't – and even with them doing so there's little here but for the PC message that there's room for everyone.
Gata Leitora / Cat reader
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story of an elevator that looks like a big mother's heart because as it goes up with the neighbors for a rooftop birthday, everyone fits in and happily welcomes those coming in until they reach the destination where everyone enjoys the ride. party in the best way.
I found the drawings beautiful and the smooth way the writer wanted to show how kind we should be with everyone.
Great for little children
Critterbee❇
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Going Up! is an adorable picture book about Sophie and all of her apartment building neighbors going up the elevator to the top floor - and Olive's birthday celebration. Vibrant illustrations, funny situations and all around good times are had as everyone squeezes in the elevator.

*eARC Netgalley*
Engel Dreizehn
ARC COPY...It was beautiful...A seemingly simple ride up to elevator showcases the different kinds of people and cultures within the community of a single apartment building plus the colourful illustrations are vibrant too!
A.C. Szul
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, entertaining, engaging.

With pages of eye-catching illustrations by @charlenedraws, Going Up! #childrensbook takes readers of all ages on a unique, unforgettable adventure.

Thanks to @NetGalley for the advance #kidslit copy. @KidsCanPress

• Why Do We Cry?
  • Teddy Bear of the Year
  • I Dream of a Journey
  • David Attenborough
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • I Got You a Present!
  • All About Allosaurus: A funny prehistoric tale about friendship and inclusion
  • A Stopwatch from Grampa
  • The Fish Who Found the Sea
  • Evonne Goolagong
  • How to be a Person: 65 Hugely Useful, Super-Important Skills to Learn Before You're Grown Up