Start by marking “Harpyness is Only Skin Deep (Tales of Arvia #1)” as Want to Read:
Harpyness is Only Skin Deep (Tales of Arvia #1)

Harpyness is Only Skin Deep

(Tales of Arvia #1)

Harpies: Swift. Beautiful. Deadly. For humans, every trip outside the protective city walls is a gamble with their lives. Fleeing is futile. Fighting but a lost cause. Yet when inexperienced adventurer Darin takes the bold step of talking to the energetic and accident-prone harpy Rinloh, a tenuous friendship is born.

Humans consider consorting with a harpy a capital offense
Published January 20th 2020 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Harpyness is Only Skin Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harpyness is Only Skin Deep

Start your review of Harpyness is Only Skin Deep (Tales of Arvia #1)
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: RPG and fantasy game lovers
How I read this: Free ebook copy received from the author

3.5 stars, rounded to 4 - this was a really unusual adventure that centers around a very unlikely friendship between a helpless human and a large predator, a harpy. The read was quite funny! And yet, touching at times as well. If you want to read more, here is my full review:

I thank the author for giving me a free copy of the ebook in exchange to my honest review. This has not affected my opinion
Bookwyrm Speaks
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've noticed a trend lately towards edgy, dark and moody fantasy. Even the comedic stuff a lot of time has an edge to it. I am always on the look for stuff that reminds me of my favorites from when I was younger, like books Craig Shaw Gardener, Piers Anthony, Esther Friesner, Lawrence Watt-Evans and Kyra Dalkey used to, and in fact, still do, write. Fun, lighter fare that still tells an interesting story, with good characters on fun adventures. I'm happy to say that Harpiness Is Only Skin Deep i ...more
Shyla
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sort of bizarre and sanguine cover of this book is bound to catch to your eye. I assure you, its contents do not fall short of its presentation. This book is fresh and campy with its moments of darkness. The author has a firm grip on the world it takes place in and showcases all its grueling realities, whilst maintaining a consistent tone throughout.

Are you fed up with earthly main characters who manage just fine in a dimension that is not their own? Are you sick of fantasy worlds that are
Nan
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harpyness Is Only Skin Deep by D. H. Willison can be read from two main levels. One, an exciting science fiction fantasy with vivid characterizations, fun and suspenseful, a break from today’s troubling situations. The other, a study in humanity and the universal condition of humans, human-ish and other sentient beings.

Scary mythological creatures that fly, swim or roam—preying on small, frail humans and other “littles”—baptize earthling Darin in the realities of another dimension, Arvia. Giant
Lynn Katzenmeyer
This book had me snort-laughing from the first page and I didn't stop.
Darin is a human on Earth bored with his regular life. He finds a LARPing ad that offers him a completely immersive experience.
One ill-read contract later, Darin finds himself on Arvia, a dimension with all sorts of man-eating fantastical creatures.
Rinloh (my new favorite feathered character in all of literature) is a harpy native to Arvia who just wants to fit in with her flock but can't quite get the hang of hunting... or
Marius
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to leave behind your mundane life? Are you seeking escape into the realm of Fantasy and would never look back? In this book, a young man named Darin feels much the same way. When he comes across a shady character that agrees to exchange places with a person living in a magical reality, it's seemingly a dream come true. There's a catch though, the trade will be permanent.

Poor Darin quickly learns that what he imagined to be a fantasy adventure is far more grueling and danger
Jackson Darlow
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good fantasy world fun that doesn't take itself too seriously ...more
Marek
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard of this book I was slightly uncertain and when I started reading it, I was still apprehensive. However as I kept reading, my doubts about this book were gone.

While the circumstances in beginning might have felt slightly contrived, they were necessary to even allow this very premise. What I thought at first would be a lack of lengthy descriptions or feelings, I realised that it was just lack of unnecessary purple prose to allow for setting up the world and situation to facilita
Sundeep
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the concept and the fantasy world setting. Plot was okayish. Writing was mostly good, with clever chapter naming. But the mix of present tense and past tense was jarring and some chapters suddenly gave a little refresher of events that happened in the past few chapters. The ending seemed like there'd be more books in this setting, but you can read this one as a standalone too.

I'd definitely recommend it if you aren't looking for something serious.
Anne Miles
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fun Read!

This was a quick read and fun! I enjoyed Darin's journey and his inventive ways of surviving the scary new world he finds himself in. The writing is whimsical and the story ended with a "humans are the real monsters" message. Im not one for survival stories and there was more survival here than wonder, but it was worth a read!
AJ
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent start to the Arvia series.

Our hero Darin opts to leave our world for a life of adventure in Arvia - a world we’re being human means you might end up on the dinner menu on any number of dangerous creatures. Creatures like our other hero Rinloh, a “small” harpy (she’s just the smallest of her sisters, but she towers over humans) who befriends instead of eats Darin.

I had the pleasure of reading the second book first, so it was great to see how all the adventures began. The series is v
Scott  Melton
Sadie Forsythe
Dec 06, 2020
Elise
Jul 06, 2020

• The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • Et Tu, Babe
  • I’m Glad You’re Dead (The Preternatural Chronicles, #1)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Psycho Killers in Love
  • They Eat Their Own (A Thung Toh Jig 2)
  • Stray Magic (Faerene Apocalypse #1)
  • Bound Magic (Faerene Apocalypse #2)
  • First Magic (Faerene Apocalypse #4)
  • Rough Magic (Faerene Apocalypse #5)
  • Loyal Magic (Faerene Apocalypse #3)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
  • The Boy Who Walked Too Far (The Xindii Chronicles, #1)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
D.H. Willison is a reader, writer, game enthusiast and developer, engineer, and history enthusiast. He’s lived around the world, absorbing history, culture, and food. Actually he’s eaten the food. It has been verified that he is a complex, multicellular life form. Fascinated by nature, technology, and history, and especially anything that can put all three of these together, he has an annoying hab ...more

Tales of Arvia (2 books)
  • Finding Your Harpy Place (Tales of Arvia #2)

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...