Start by marking “Marriage Triggers: Exchanging Spouses' Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses” as Want to Read:

Foreword by Dave and Ashley Willis, authors of The Naked Marriage and hosts of The Naked Marriage Podcast

A husband-wife team offers practical advice for married couples to end the cycle of reactionary arguments by examining the most common issues that trigger disagreements and applying God’s Word to radically transform relationships.

Many couples know their marriage has
Published January 28th 2020 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Marriage Triggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage Triggers

Start your review of Marriage Triggers: Exchanging Spouses' Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was super excited about reading this with my husband. We have certainly had our ups and downs, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about dealing with him. Marriage is tough and it takes a strong constitution to stay in it. I love him. I really do. So we eagerly dove into this one.
This is a book that gave us transparent and practical insights from a couple, a lot like me and my husband, who love God and are still learning to love one another well. I loved chapter 3 about backseat drivers, very
Lora
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful does not even begin to describe this book. My husband and I are going through this book together as our nightly devotional, and it really has outline our conversations and guided them Biblically in order to analyze our relationship. It has given us both the push and the words to spark deeper conversations. It has allowed us to unpack years of baggage, and has showed us that God was missing at the center of our marriage. This book has sparked spiritual revival not only in our marriage ...more
Sarah Chadbourne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that this book is easy to read and process. Each chapter discusses one trigger, with our typical response, the biblical response and then practical ways to change our responses. It’s real and raw and has helped me look at things in my marriage differently. I’ve been convicted of sin I didn’t even realize was sin, I’ve prayed, I’ve learned, I’ve been comforted and encouraged. This will be a book I read over and over again.
Katie M.  Reid
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marriage Triggers is a must-have resource for any couple who desires a thriving marriage. With a well-balanced approach, Guy and Amber give your marriage a fighting chance by addressing triggers that threaten to divide you. Confront angry patterns with grace-infused conversations as you move toward a healthier, hope-filled relationship.
-Adam Reid, Lead Pastor at Central Church and Katie M. Reid, Author of Made Like Martha and Co-hosts of the live marriage show, "Stop! Hammock Time."
Lorraine
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Parenting Triggers by this author several years ago. That is why I signed up to be part of the launch team for Marriage Triggers. Amber and her husband Guy break down many of the external and internal triggers that start fights in many couples relationships. Each chapter highlights a different trigger which is nice so you can hop around and read the ones applicable to you. They write with honesty and Biblical truth to help you and your spouse get your relationship on the right track. If ...more
Codi
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has already impacted our marriage in so many positive ways. Mainly because it’s caused me to take a look at my own side of the relationship and has opened my eyes to triggers I have I didn’t even know about! You cannot change your spouse, but you can sure change yourself in a positive way and pray for that spouse daily. God works in crazy ways and I can bet if you start praying for your spouse daily that your own heart will be softened toward them, plus they will see a difference that ...more
Leah
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn't know what to expect when I picked up Marriage Triggers. I didn't see how this book would help in my marriage situation and really thought my problems were beyond what this book could help. But wow...it has opened my eyes. I truly believe that there are always two sides to every story, and this book helped open my eyes to some of the underlying, destructive things I was doing in my marriage relationship. And I love how Guy and Amber offer such practical and biblical ways to ...more
Carol Raczek
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Throughout the book “Marriage Triggers: Exchanging Spouses' Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses,” Amber and Guy Lia continually point their readers back to Scripture. I have appreciated the opportunities this book has given me to reflect on all God has done to mold me and transform our marriage. Time and again this book has reminded me to set aside my expectations and turn to God and his Word. God is for us and he is for our marriage! I highly encourage all married couples to read this ...more
Anna
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read and loved Parenting Triggers I was so excited to learn that Amber was working on Marriage Triggers. Marriage Triggers is equal parts grace, conviction and fun. It is so easy to read and each chapter has practical things for me to implement in my marriage straight away. Each chapter I feel challenged, but not so much that I am despairing - Amber and Guy help me to realise that I am not alone in my struggles and there is a way to move forward in my marriage.
Caitlin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marriage Triggers has truly been a blessing already in my marriage! Not even halfway through, my eyes are being open to MY need for my Loving Savior Jesus and MY heart is growing more and more personally and towards my husband! It has been convicting, loving, gentle, eye opening and encouraging. I am thankful for Amber and Guy for pouring their hearts into this book, the transparency given and this wonderful resource for marriages every where.
Erin Geiswhite
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been so convicting and encouraging. My marriage will never look the same! Thank you, Guy and Amber, for being open about your own triggers and passionate about helping others grow toward the true purpose of marriage!
Rachel Calton
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the original Triggers book and love this one as well. If you feel stuck in a place where you’re waiting for your spouse to change, this book helps change your perspective and think about your own attitudes and reactions all while focused on a Christ-centered marriage.
Gloria
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not a one-time read! Marriage Triggers is a must have tool for every engaged and married couple; It establishes the biblical truth and framework for the marriage Christ desires us to thrive in.

Gloria & Joe Lorusso
Bartlett, IL
Cassandra Koshatka
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is for ALL couples that want to make sure that Christ is at the center of their marriage. I think some people might read the title and keep going because they think they don't need it. We ALL need more of Jesus in the way that we respond to our spouses. This book helps us to realize areas that we need to make adjustments in that we didn't even know were off. On the other hand, it helps provide practical, Biblical direction for the areas that we KNOW we need help in. The chapters are ...more
Heather Dick
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So many great insights in this book that I wouldn't have ever thought about. And the guidance and help in addressing all the different triggers is wonderful and eye opening! It's an amazing book and if you are able to read it and put it into practice, I truly believe that not only can your marriage be changed, but the relationships you have with everyone around you can be as well! Amazing and life changing!
May
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Parenting Triggers and I loved Parenting Scripts, so when I saw that there was a Marriage Triggers coming out I was on board! I wish I could’ve read this 10 years ago when I was a newlywed! I will definitely be buying this as marriage gifts for newly married couples! This is really important information that is easier read than figuring out first hand!
Melissa
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is better than good. It's really the perfect book for every marriage, those who are newlyweds and those who've been married for 30 years. The Lia's take turns in writing the chapters, so you will hear from both perspectives which is perfect for the couple reading this together. (which I think is a good idea) They address many triggers a marriage may face including: in-laws, finances, communication and intimacy. If you, like God, want your marriage to THRIVE, you should read this book. ...more
Fibia
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for married couples. Guy and Amber have honestly written about different triggers in a marital relationship and ways to deal with them biblically. Change comes primarily from allowing God to change ourselves. This book does NOT talk about staying in an abusive relationship if you are a Christian. It is geared toward couples where both partners are willing to change so the marriage becomes the best it can be. Great encouragement and pointing us to Christ.
Kirstine
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the marriage triggers book I have been able to look through my marriage from another lens. Even though I can’t relate to all of the marriage triggers it is great to be aware of several of them so I don’t fall into any of those triggers. I think that many couples could gain a lot from this book and become aware of the 31 most common marriage triggers. The book certainly gives you a lot to think about regarding your own marriage and own you can make it better.
jennifer oestreich
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has had such a huge impact in my marriage! My husband and I had the opportunity to read it before it’s release- Amber and Guy are so easy to relate to and I’m so thankful for the way they transparently share their journey and the things they have learned over the years. My husband and I were able to really sit back and have some amazing conversations throughout the book. I’d HIGHLY recommend this book to any of my married friends. It is easy to read and yet full wisdom.
Heather Fiedler
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to see that Amber and Guy were coming out with Marriage Triggers. This is a great marriage resource that brings in perspectives from both Amber and Guy of common marriage triggers. They guide readers by sharing real life examples and give gentle biblical responses to those conflicts that tend to trigger anger.
Amanda Sichmeller
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was just “meh” for me. I probably would have appreciated it more as a newlywed but the advice fell flat for me (married 6 years with 3 children)
Rachel Rector
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given an early copy of this book from the publisher as part of the launch team. Honestly, I was frustrated with my marriage, and I needed help. I thought it would help me figure out how to change the parts of my husband that was difficult for me to live with. Instead, it truly opened my eyes to my own selfishness and how my own thoughts and actions were setting my husband and our marriage up for failure. I appreciate how honest Guy and Amber were about their marriage triggers, how they ...more
Jenn McClure
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whether you're recently engaged or just celebrating 50 years together, this book truly has something for every couple. Marriage is not always roses and bubbly champagne, as we all know. Life can be messy and if you have a lot of triggers in your marriage, it can be explosive. Guy and Amber Lia tackle the little things in life that can trigger not so little reactions in our marriages, one short chapter at a time. A great book to read and share with all your married friends and a total marriage ...more
Rachel Loftus
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marriage is a relationship so easily tossed to the back burner without either spouse knowing it. It’s a breeding ground for bitter roots to grow deep without knowing we need to pull them out. This book, designed with shorts chapters on a good variety of marital conflict areas, is a quick read that convicts, opens your eyes, and encourages you to fight for your marriage with your spouse (instead of fighting with your spouse!).
Courtney Birkbeck
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this book is so, so good.

I'm sitting here, just finished the book and so grateful as I'm going to be applying what I learned in my own marriage. I've seen so many couples fall apart because of triggers and not be able to handle or or know how to deal with it and I've worried my own marriage would fall apart.

This book gives step by step ideas on how to deal with triggers and how to love each other through it all.

Grateful for this book and will be suggesting it to all my friends.
Sarah Lanciaux
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so practical and really helped to improve our marriage. I love that the chapters a short and perfect for a busy season of life with young children!
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book to work through the things that your spouse does that pushes your buttons. Amber and Guy graciously point you to Jesus to smooth out those rough parts in YOU to improve your marriage.
Magdalena
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all married couples. Well written with meaningful stories woven throughout the book to make the points hit home. 5 stars all the way!!

I have now read the book twice! As my second time through was listening to the audible version. Excellent!! Highly recommend the audible version. It is engaging, entertaining, while providing compelling messages based on God principles. Must read for married couples.
Stacy Meade
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have resource for couples. Marriage can be especially challenging and proactively seeking biblically-based solutions to support your relationship with your spouse can be transformational for your family. My husband and I have been positively impacted and transformed.
Well done, Amber & Guy Lia. You have written a really amazing book!
« previous 1 3 next »

• 100 Ways to Love Your Husband: The Simple, Powerful Path to a Loving Marriage
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation
  • 100 Words of Affirmation Your Husband Needs to Hear
  • The Help Club for Moms: Inspirational and Practical Help for You, Your Home, and Your Family
  • Introverted Mom: Your Guide to More Calm, Less Guilt, and Quiet Joy
  • Confessions of a Proverbs 32 Woman: How I Went from Messed Up to Blessed Up Without Changing a Single Thing
  • The Clutter-Free Home: Making Room for Your Life
  • Praying Women: How to Pray When You Don't Know What to Say
  • Good Clean Beauty: Create over 75 Super Simple Beauty and Skin Recipes from Common Kitchen Pantry Ingredients
  • The Grumble-Free Year: Twelve Months, Eleven Family Members, and One Impossible Goal
  • Outrageous Grace Every Day: Experience God's Story in 90 Days