Start by marking “Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)” as Want to Read:
Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)

Without Fail

(Jack Reacher #6)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  76,446 ratings  ·  2,229 reviews
With each new book, more and more join the chorus of praise for ""one of the most original and daring heroes in suspense fiction"" (The Providence Journal-Bulletin), Lee Child's ex-military cop Jack Reacher. In Without Fail, Reacher is approached by a Secret Service agent who needs a favor. ""I want to hire you to assassinate the Vice President of the United States,"" she ...more
Paperback
Published September 22nd 2003 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published May 13th 2002)

·  76,446 ratings  ·  2,229 reviews

Alp
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75/5

“Why look for trouble?”
“I'm not looking for trouble. I don't see it as trouble.”

Alright, Lee Child had me glued to the pages in his engrossing suspense/thriller once again. I couldn't put this book down even for a minute!

Jack Reacher is amazing as always and I admire him even more in this book. Man, he’s freaking clever! Thankfully, Neagley helped him with this investigation; otherwise things might turn out differently from what I expected. I can tell I really enjoyed seeing them working
Sara
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I like Reacher. I really do. But Lee Child creates the most flawed scenarios and it drives me batty sometimes. Reacher has been recruited to help deflect an attempt to assassinate the new VP.

Now, if we are to believe this story, the Secret Service is employing idiots. For example, Reacher specifies a church tower that could be used by a shooter. Does the SS put a man in the tower to prevent the possible use by an assassin. Or even to be able to see any other possible danger. No. The lead SS age
Gem
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty disappointed with the 6th book in the Jack Reacher series. The first few were brilliant - fast, furious and somewhat believable despite the larger than life protagonist and plot lines.

Without Fail lacked most of the drama that we have come to expect from Lee Child's thrillers. The plot didn't tie up (I won't spoil it, but the antagonists had a very poor motive for killing the VP).

There is also one massive plot hole that doesn't add up. It was to do with the 'messages' and one parti
Ahmad Sharabiani
Without Fail (Jack Reacher #6), Lee Child
Without Fail is the sixth book in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child. It was published by Putnam in 2002. It is written in the third person. Jack Reacher arrives in Atlantic City, New Jersey from California after hitching a ride with a couple of aging musicians. He is approached there by M.E. (Mary Ellen) Froelich, a beautiful agent from the United States Secret Service who has managed to track him down. She has a special request for him. Someon
William
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an important Reacher book. Don't skip it.

An extra whole-star for the important and interesting character background here. Even though the pacing is often slow with plot holes, and there is sometimes excessive detail (a sad flaw of Child, too often), I give the book 4-stars.

1. This book is perhaps the single best book showing Reacher and Neagley working as a team as investigators and thinkers, as an action duo and as friends.

2. It shows how Neagley is "the female Reacher" in many ways.
Manuel Antão
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Comatose Literature: "Without Fail" by Lee Child

When summer is just around the corner, I start thinking about what books to take on holidays.   Beach or pool is also important, but the real clincher are the books. And the first question on the agenda is which books should I bring? More important even than my destination, are the books I’m taking with me. I’ve always been like this. My wife used to complain that I packed lots and lots of books in case I got stranded on a desert island by mistake
Richard
6/10

It seems this type of book works well in audio, even more so when it is abridged as it cuts out any extra waffle or character development which is needless in an action romp where the characters tend to be in it for one book only.

Reacher is hired to kill someone of minor importance, the Vice President of the US. Why would he take such a job? Well it’s more like an audit of the internal security detail but with a hidden motive.

Things move quickly as they should in this type of book. There ar
Ashish Iyer
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without Fail is not going to disappoint fans of Jack Reacher. Lee Child comes up with a new setting for Reacher's persuasive combination of detailed analytical thinking and overwhelming violence. Actually the latter is fairly understated in this story, and our hero does not end up taking on two, four or six mindless heavies in a brawl, which seems to be the fairly normal scenario.

This time round there is a plot to assassinate the vice president elect, and Reacher and his female associate from th
Heather
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when Cody's - historic, tragic Cody's as anyone in the Bay Area knows - was going out of business. It was 40% percent off, and I was casting about for the type of book that would magically unlock the keys to moving plot forward and making pages turn since, ahem, I was having some slight trouble in that regard. I don't know if I learned anything in the craft dept other than that Jack Reacher is an awesome badass, stone-cold professional, crafty and smart hero who actually made ...more
Abel Keogh
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read any Jack Reacher novels. This is a great place to start. The only thing that stopped this book from getting 5 stars was Child's appalling lack of knowledge about Wyoming.

Near the end of the novel the protagonist, Jack Reacher and a colleague Frances Neagley, are on his way to the fictional town of Grace, Wyoming which is a couple hours north of Casper – a town I lived in for two years. Reacher and Neagley take a plane to Denver and decide to drive to Grace.

Child describes t
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, action
Okay, another good read. Jack is what some may call an "odd duck"...sorry for the technical terminology. I mean he refuses to use or have anything that puts him on "the grid". He travels around looking like a huge homeless giant, he throws clothes away rather than wash them, no one can fins him... Yet he keeps ending up working with (untrustworthy and corrupt) government agencies and agents.

It has to do with him being an incorruptible and bad-ass MP and in this case that his (late) brother was a
Mike Finn
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, audio-book
This is a bare-bones thriller, a puzzle played-out in blood and death, with almost no emotional involvement.

Jack Reacher stands at the centre, almost more puzzling than the mystery he is trying to solve. He has insights that stretch credibility, based on a hyper-aware level of observation, remarkable recall and a willingness to run with intuition when logic can't get him there. Yet, the man who sees everything, seems to have no desire to engage with the world unless it is to exact revenge. He li
Rob
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number 6 in the Reacher series.
A bit disappointed in Without Fail I found it a bit on the slow side in places. Lots of, what I would call, irrelevant information.
I found the plot a bit unbelievable, the secret service couldn't protect the Vice President without Jack Reacher's help??
At the beginning when Jack was brought in to do a independent audit for the S.S., this sounded like it was feasible. But when Jack found gaping holes in the S.S's procedures Jack was invited to help protect the V.P.
Abram
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
My Rating: 4.3/5

Great Novel just like the others. This is not as good as Echo Burning. A bit slower here and there. The twists at the endings are not as impressive as the other novels. But still a great novel. There is no bad stuff about it. So, yeah. See u guys in the next one.
Corey
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without Fail is probably so far, my most favorite Reacher adventure yet! I've enjoyed all the other ones I've read so far, and not a bad one among them, but this one so far in my opinion is the best!

Jack Reacher is approached by US Secret Service Agent M.E. (Mary Ellen) Froelich, who had been assigned to protect Brook Armstrong, the Vice-President elect. Froelich has approached Reacher because someone is sending threatening messages to the VP, and she wants Reacher to speculate on how he would k
Eric
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm gradually reading the Jack Reacher books in order, and this is the sixth. After making it through nearly half the extant books, I'd have to say that the other Jack series (Repairman Jack by F. Paul Wilson) is the more consistently entertaining, that is if you don't ...mind a little supernatural horror with your vigilante action. The previous Jack Reacher outing, Echo Burning, was a superb Texas gothic tale. But this one strains credibility in a couple of ways. First, I don't buy the motivati ...more
Sean Peters
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi

I really enjoy the Jack Reacher books, so far, with the Reacher books read, this is my second favourite behind One Shot. Although nice to see a regular character helping and returning in this book to work with Reacher.

Always readable, gripping.

As always he is the ladies man.

very enjoyable

regards

Sean
Stuart
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tough-guy, crime
This was a fairly disappointing continuation of Jack Reacher's drifter ways for me. A threat exist against the Vice President and suddenly Jack finds himself employed to seek holes in the VP's security - that was about the jeist of the story.
Mark
Another "Reacher" reread because of reading a couple out of the series of "Hunt for Reacher"...Reacher is pulled into the Secret Service & their duty to protect the Vice-President by an ex-girlfriend of his brother Joe...Great Read like all "Reachers!"
Molly
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have you heard of Jack Reacher? He's become a favorite among a handful of people I know. We were each introduced to Reacher at one time or another by the same person, who conveniently has almost every book written about Reacher.

Lee Child's brainchild is a gargantuan man, ex-military, a nomad, and deadly (both to enemies and to women). In previous books, he would tell time without looking at a watch. But in Without Fail, he was constantly depending on his watch. Confusing. Also, this one is less
Jane Stewart
3 or 4 stars, can’t decide. Reacher didn’t beat up as many thugs as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed it.

STORY BRIEF:
Someone is threatening Armstrong, the newly elected Vice President. Froelich is in charge of the Secret Service team protecting him. She used to date Reacher’s brother who told her about Reacher’s talents and abilities. She hires Reacher to test her security and then to help with the current threat. Reacher hires one of his army buddies to help.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Another go
Mark Chisnell
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series, and I think I might have mentioned previously that they were the inspiration for some aspects of Powder Burn and my new ‘Burn’ series. So I needed no encouragement to pick this one up when it was also chosen as a Goodreads group read. And as usual, I wasn’t disappointed.

Jack Reacher appeals to the angry and vengeful core in all of us – there are no judges or juries in Reacher’s world, just violent retribution dispatched swiftly, without compunct
D.G.
So far, Without Fail has been among my favorite books in the Reacher series mostly we got to know more about Joe, and Reacher's feelings after his death. Reacher keeps everything in the vest and like a tough guy, he doesn't dwell too much on things he can't change but you would think that what happened with Joe would leave consequences. In this book, we got to know what he thought and felt. Note: This book has spoilers for Killing Floor.

The action was as usual - exciting if crazy improbable. I c
William
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Audio book for my second time around this story
Without a doubt I would have given this four stars when I read the book upon original release. I was just captured with Jack Reacher; he attack the bullies that we all encounter in our lives.
Now, I am looking at the individual story and how Child delivers it. Outside of the information about my country and it's institutes I find little here.
Robert
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-19-season
The formula is strong with this one. JR gets dragged into a situation by an exaggerated sense of duty or honor and hi-jinks ensue. It's a good formula, and a good story, but I was actually more interested in following the opening set-up in Atlantic City than the actual story told, since Reacher works best on a smaller scale, not crisscrossing the country as a reluctant arm of the government.
Shandare
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s like playing Russian roulette when you read reviews an out Jack Reacher novels. Half say one book isn’t a good as later ones; others that the later ones are much better. What I e found is you really just gave to spin, read it, and see if it’s for you.
This is one I quite liked. Yes there were small actions that were unrealistic and characters shaded stereotypically, but it is a ‘90s novel. The introduction of mobile devices and the internet would have changed the story completely. Our good
Wenzel Roessler
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me captivated right off the bat. The dialog is much improved over the last two books. The action was superb and the process of investigation was intriguing. Much of Reacher's back story on his brother Joe is revealed and the addition of Neagley to the story was great.
Darius Murretti
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Actual 3.5

Mary Ellen Frolic's dramatic death scene in Reacher's arms is one of the most touching in all of literature---- classic or contemporary ....

I own this whole series and was listening to this one last night while planting blackberries
Siobhan
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone following my progression through the Jack Reacher novels knows of my strange love-hate relationship, whereby I label the Jack Reacher novels as guilty pleasure novels rather than novels I go out of my way to read. I tend to hand out three star ratings to the books, having only given one other four star rating prior to this one… and I think ‘Without Fail’ has earned the spot as my favourite Jack Reacher novel (thus far in the series).

The Jack Reacher novels are never perfect. I know the di
May Wong
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher is a man’s man, but also a woman’s man. This is the enigma. He lives by his own code of conduct; a law unto himself. He believes in taking an eye for an eye, especially in retaliation for the death of someone he cares about (but not necessarily). Jack is judge, jury, executioner – fans might say “avenger”.

The characters that Lee Childs paints are so nasty; they do not seem to deserve our understanding and certainly not our forgiveness. But do they not deserve the rule of law? Where

• The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • Time to Hunt (Bob Lee Swagger, #3)
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers, #4)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)
“They found out about him in July and stayed angry all through August. They tried to kill him in September. It was way too soon. They weren't ready. The attempt was a failure. It could have been a disaster, but it was actually a miracle. Because nobody noticed.” 12 likes
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.” 10 likes