Start by marking “Once Upon a Wish-mas” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Wish-mas

Once Upon a Wish-mas

Ruby Campbell isn't daunted at the prospect of working as a Nanny for the notorious Barclay Rothchester. She’s warned he’s a strict control freak, but she’s sure she can soften him up.

Barclay Rothchester lost his wife three years ago. Of course he’s never going to find someone to replace her role, the one she did so perfectly. He’s sure its not going to be hippy dippy Ruby
253 pages

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Wish-mas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Wish-mas

Start your review of Once Upon a Wish-mas
Danielle's
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook re-read. I read this book last Christmas but couldn’t resist the chance of reviewing the audiobook. This is a great book but is enhanced by Charlie Emmeline Albers narrative.

A classic Christmas style tale with a modern twist. The Rothchester family need a nanny and a whole lot of love. Ruby is the lady for the job. She isn’t perfect but she has her heart in the right place.

Mr Rothchester is bitter after he lost his wife. He’s given up on life. He’s afraid to live again. Working and m
Nursebookie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Christmas Novela really got me in the Christmas Spirit and the characters had my heart in flutters. Ruby Campbell is my jam and I feel like if I knew her IRL, we would get along. Her childish antics, exuberance and positivity is the perfect fit for Barclay Rothchesters’ girls as a Nanny. His wife and the mother of her girls passed away a few years now and no one will ever be able to take her place.

Ruby is bound to make sure that the girls enjoy their Christmas but will she be able to stay
ABookLover73
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
Five Christmas stars for Ruby and Barclay 💖!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This is the first book I've read by Laura Barnard and it was really good!

I usually don't read books with Christmas trope but I gave chance to this one and I didn't regret it.

"Once Upon a Wish-mas" is a Christmas romance book with enemies to lovers, age-gap, taboo and office romance tropes.

If you're looking for a Christmas book with these tropes, then you need to read this one!
Natalie
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an audio copy of this book to listen to in exchange for an honest review from Laura Barnard.

Once upon a wish-mas is a heartwarming novella about lost love and new beginnings.

Ruby is an amazingly likeable character full of joy and who slowly begins to thaw the frozen heart of Barclay!
This book has all the feels of Christmas and has got me into the festive spirit already!

The children in this story are utterly adorable and I loved the narrators voice when reading their script.

This is
KarenLou NorthandSouthBlog
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YAY CHRISTMAS!!!

I bloody love Christmas, and I love books. So giving me a Christmas book is just heaven. Even better?

Barcley.

We meet ruby, looking for a stop gap job to get her into the new year when she can start her next nanny job, she applies for this position. Not meeting barcley for the interview she accepts..... then she meets him. He is all brooding and moody. *sigh* and slightly broken. He hires nanny after nanny to take care of his girls after they lost their mother some year ago. He
Erin Lewis
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 star review of Once Upon A Wish-Mas by Laura Barnard
I really enjoyed reading Once Upon A Wish-Mas. Centered around the most magical time of the year, a time for family and friends to come together and celebrate. There’s something about the holiday season in n my opinion, it’s never too early to read a holiday romance.
There was angst, humour, fabulous characters and a story line that you couldn’t help but be drawn too. Ruby Campbell is a nanny who is feisty, sassy and not at all afraid of her b
Bozena
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
DEFINITELY A MUST READ!
When you are looking for a perfect Christmas Love Story with all the sweet, tear-jerking and swoony emotions, then this is definitely a book for you.
It's not the typical Christmas story per se, but a heartwarming and unbelievable emotional love story that ends on a Christmas day, or begins on this day 🤔😉 This book has all the beautiful feelings. It made me burst into laughter, thanks to Ruby's hilarious humor and made me cry like a baby (and I'm not ashamed of that) beca
manpreet
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
3 HOLIDAY STARS🎁

I absolutely adore holiday-themed books, no matter the occasion! This one was so sweet and definitely got me feeling all sorts of emotions.

Ruby is a nanny, and soon begins to take care of Barclay Rothchester’s children. Ruby is a kind soul but will stand her ground when necessary (which seems to be a lot).

Barclay lost his wife a few years back. He comes across as an arrogant man, but he’s actually just detached - not wanting to face the pain.

The children, Lottie and Jess absol
Anna
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, Sweet, and the perfect Holiday listen!

Ruby loves being a nanny. She wants to ensure the children she has in her care have someone loving and consistent in their lives.

Especially because she herself is an orphan. She lost her father very young and her mother passed when she turned 18. Her experience gives her an empathy to the children she finds in her care.

She finds herself assigned a new family with two young girls and a widower father. These girls have had a ever revolving door of
Jody
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, laugh out loud Christmas romance!
Ruby is a strong MC who is easy to relate with. Her wit, amazing banter and angst with Barclay kept me fully engaged while her tender caring love for the girls gave me all the feels! Even the dynamic between Ruby and the secondary characters was well thought out and added to the overall enjoyment of the book for me. I felt like I was a member of the staff, or Ruby’s friend, rooting for her from day one!

The steamy enemy to lover troupe was the per
Anne Marie
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to my guilty pleasure book. It’s not an ARC, it’s a pleasure read. I have been seeing this book around the gram for a while and love the title and cover. I totally went in blind with this book. I didn’t read the synopsis and I did not read any reviews on the book or even look to see its rating. I am so glad I did. This was the best holiday/love story I read! If you are looking to get another holiday book in this year make it this one it will not disappoint.

So to keep with going in blind
Dayang
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my second ARC from Ms. Barnard... I've been signing up for some holiday romance because Christmas is practically in there air and we're only a few months shy from December.

I enjoyed the book... the snarky banter... the angst... the wonderful characters, and the storyline may not be very original but it was a heartwarming Christmas read.

It's a combination of enemies to lovers and taboo, age-gap and boss-employee romance.

I loved how to it talked about grief and longing... about taking cha
Reading Mom.me
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up for this amazing Christmas Book! It has everything I love in a contemporary romance.
✔️Enemy to Lover Trope
✔️Angsty
✔️Steamy
✔️Amazing Banter

This story gave me all the feels I laughed out loud, I swooned and yes I cried. I couldn’t have asked for much more Ruby was a strong heroine which I love she didn’t allow the controlling Barclay to scare her off and she challenged him every step of the way. A fun quick Christmas book everyone should be reading this holiday season.

Carrie Elks
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. Funny, heartwarming and VERY Christmassy. Barclay is a widower with two young daughter and a whole lot of grumpiness. Ruby is a nanny with a heart of gold, determined to melt his frozen heart. Lots of fun scenes in Harrods, ice skating at Somerset House and run-ins with the school PTA (brings back memories!) that put a smile on my face. It's kind of like Mary Poppins meets The Holiday with a sprinkling of White Christmas. Perfect!
Nikki Ashton
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are some books which keep you warm like a big fluffy blanket, and Once Upon a Wish-Mas is one of those books. It's a lovely and sweet romance with moments of humour and emotion, giving you everything you need in a romance. Barclay and Ruby are great characters, but the girls Jessica and Lottie stole the show for me. My only regret is that the epilogue wasn't longer. A book I could definitely see as a Hallmark Film.
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Someone get Hallmark on the line because I need this to be made into a feel good Christmas movie IMMEDIATELY.

When Ruby, a modern day Mary Poppins, interviews for a nanny position in Notting Hill she is warned that the client, widower Mr. Rothchester, is notoriously difficult. Not one to back down from a challenge she accepts the job and immediately falls in love with her new charges, Jessica and Lottie. She gets a taste of Mr. Rothchester's wrath the very first day when she finds herself going
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once Upon a Wish-mas was another addictive read from Laura Barnard, one that had me devouring it in a single sitting. Although it’s filled with laughter, it also has plenty of serious moments.

Once Upon a Wish-mas pulled me in from the very first page, guaranteeing I fell for the characters and the story. With each page, I fell deeper for the characters and could not put the book down. With lots packed into the pages, I couldn’t pull myself away. The only thing I wanted was more from the ending –
Jo Shaw
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word! What can I say about this book? I have loved Laura Barnard’s books since she first asked me to read and review one of her books very early in my Bookstagram days (pre-blog). Laura’s books are the perfect balance of romance, sex, and humour and I have loved them all.

HOWEVER…I have to say I think this is my favourite book by Laura by far, and is so perfectly Christmassy that I wanted to start celebrating Christmas there and then when I finished the book!

Ruby is such a wonderful charact
Jojo
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's RELEASE DAY!!! Once Upon A Wish-mas is out today and you guys have to read it! This book about a Nanny, was just what I needed and no nightmares followed 🤣

The story follows Ruby, a career Nanny who takes a job caring for Barclays young girls. Barclay is a widow, and more than a little bit of a grumpus. His daughters are adorable. What follows is a fantastic story that made me laugh out loud, blush a teeny bit and even a little tear.

I totally identified with Ruby. Similar age, same career a
Andrea
5 huge heart-warming Christmassy stars!!
*ARC received in return for an honest review

Once Upon A Wish-mas has all the feels to make this the perfect heart-warming Christmas feel good romance story.
If it were a Christmas film it would be right up there with my all time faves I watch every year. I just want to wrap my arms around it and squeeze the hell out of it, I loved it that much.

I adored Ruby and her story. I laughed out loud at the, sometimes embarrassing, predicaments she got herself
Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect Christmas read. It got me in the mood to feel all the Holiday vibes. Time really slows down during this time of year, it is magical and this story really captures all of the magic the holiday season brings.

Ruby Campbell comes to work for the Rothchesters. Barclay, a recent widower, is not coping well with the loss of his wife Claire, in fact he is miserable. He is extremely moody and suffering in silence until Ruby comes along. He has met his match. She loves his girls fiercely a
Jenna
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so thankful to Laura Barnard for reaching out to me about about her book! After reading the synopsis I was sold! This read was super cute and heartwarming at times with a slightly steamy enemies to lovers boss/ employee romance.

I enjoyed the characters so much in this book and was excited to see the book was told in dual narrative. I loved getting both sides of the story.

Overall I gave this book 4 Stars. Laura delivered all the warm and cozy Christmas feels and it’s never too soon for tha
Jill
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
A Christmas to remember

Oh I loved this story !!!
It’s such a Beautiful slow burn romance with some comedy (laugh out lid moments) full of love and care and grief and healing !!
I laughed and cried and fell in love with this family !
Ruby is a witty and sassy nanny who starts working for a grieving widow looking after his two young girls .
Barkley is the grieving widow who is angry at the world and his behavior is curt and nasty because of it. He also works way too much !!! This story is about how
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Once Upon a Wish-mas By Laura Barnard is the story of Barclay Rothchester and Ruby Campbell.
Ruby is the Nany for Barclay's children. Ruby is eveything a fun thoughtful nanny should be. Barclay is a bah humbug controlling person who doesn't seem much fun. Ruby has a mission to give his kids the best Christmas she can even fighting him through his attitude. They had some funny banter along the way. This was a great good feeling story with the dusting of Christmas spirit.
Tracey
A Christmas themed rom-com and I absolutely loved it. It's a bit of Mary Poppins with some Christmas fun and romance, the difference being I loved this nanny so much more than that Mary Poppins sequel!

Barclay a widower takes on a new nanny for his two cute girls and gets Ruby. Ruby omg she's a force of nature, she really made me chuckle. I did think she pushed the boundaries quite a bit for a new employee but it was needed at times and so entertaining.

The story is mainly from Ruby's pov, but Ba
Mary Dean
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Mary Poppins tale all grown up. Ruby takes a job as a nanny for widowed businessman with two adorable daughters. Barclay is a no nonsense man. He has no time for anything foolish. He is too busy throwing himself into his work and ignoring his emotions. Well Ruby changes all that. This was a hilarious book. Ruby was just what Barclay didn't want. She is stubborn and independent and she doesn't take orders she doesn't agree with easily. As the story goes on and she fights for the girl's ...more
Brook Obsessed
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-fun, 2019
This is the quintessential cute Christmas story, but I loved every second of it. This is a quick, quirky, fun read and the perfect December pick for any romance lover.

Blurb: Ruby Campbell becomes the new nanny for Barclay Rothchester, a widowed father and workaholic. Little does Ruby know that she’s working for Scrooge.

Barclay is stubborn and hard to please and he’s driven away every nanny who’s ever worked for him.

What Ruby doesn’t realize is that she’s quickly falling for the grumpy single fat
Emily
Ruby Campbell has accepted a job as Nanny to Barclay Rothchester who has two daughter. Ruby realizes he has quite the reputation of going through Nannies because of his overbearing and strict ways. Ruby doesn't realize that initially and they spar, Ruby has a different philosophy on what children need. With Christmas around the corner Ruby wants the girls get have the best Christmas ever but can both Ruby and Barclay get on the same page and maybe it becomes something more.

This was pretty funny,
Lindsay
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
AUDIOBOOK

Ok I’m never disappointed with Laura Barnards audiobook and yet again she’s nailed it. Not only do I have Magic 100% Christmas to listen to but now I have my first Christmas audio as well and I loved it. The story of a nanny trying to not loose her job with her intolerable boss (who just happens to be a bit of a hunk) is funny and comforting and everything you want in a romantic Christmas audio and the narration by Charlie was brilliant as well. I love this book and can I put my tree up
Amanda
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big fan of tearjerkers, but this one made me cry in a good way. Overall it was an entertaining, funny, feel good story and I liked the characters. It's a little like Mary Poppins meets the Sound of Music. The relationship developed fast in some ways and slow in others. I'm looking forward to listening to/reading more from this author. I'm actually starting Road Trip tonight.

I listened to the Audible version. Charlie Emmeline Albers' performance was amazing. She voices two distinct chil
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Road Trip
  • What Do You Regret? (What Do You, #2)
  • Love in the City
  • The Other Side of Blue
  • Get Busy Dying (Roy Ballard Mysteries, #2)
  • The Gift of Happiness
  • Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)
  • Dirty Rock
  • The Winter Garden
  • Resist Me (Resist Duet, #2; Unchained Attraction, #4)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Tabloid Princess (Tabloid Princess #1)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Chase the Butterflies
  • Tempted by Love (The Steeles at Silver Island, #1)
  • Resist You (Resist Duet, #1; Unchained Attraction, #3)
  • Into The Shadows (Shadows Ascending Trilogy, #1)
  • Waking Up in Vegas (The One #1)
Amazon Bestselling author Laura Barnard writes British quirky laugh out loud romantic comedy.

She lives in Hertfordshire, UK, with her husband and daughter.

In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, cuddling dogs, indulging in cupcakes and chocolate, setting her friends up together (very successfully), indulging in the power nap and reading past her bedtime.

www.laurabarnardbooks.