Jump to ratings and reviews

Stranje House #4

Harbor for the Nightingale

A girl’s spy school amid Jane Austen’s high society . . .

London, 1814. Emperor Napoleon has forced Europe to its knees, and now he plots to seize control of Britain. Miss Maya Barrington, one of Miss Stranje’s unusual girls, must act as a double agent and rely upon her uncanny gift of persuasion to stop Napoleon.

She brought the mystery of India with her . . .

Maya is from two different worlds. Her Indian mother died and her father, an English lord, took her away from the warmth of India to cold inhospitable London. She was not welcomed. Especially by her prejudiced stepmother, who sent Maya away to Stranje House, a reform school known for its harsh discipline.

The school’s dark reputation hides the fact that the headmistress, Miss Stranje, is actually training these unusual young ladies to enter the dangerous world of spies, diplomacy, and war. Stranje House turns out to be the perfect hiding place for Maya—she finally carves out a sense of belonging among these brilliant outcast girls.

But her world turns upside down when Miss Stranje and the girls are drawn into Napoleon’s devious conspiracy.

To protect the friends she now holds dear, and to keep Napoleon and his ruthless spies from destroying the world she has grown to love, Maya agrees to play a duplicitous role. She must enter this treacherous game on the arm of the elusive Lord Kinsworth. Maya can read almost everyone—not so with this young rascal. Quick with a jest and armed with lethal charm, Lord Kinsworth remains just beyond her reach. Can she trust him?

With Britain’s future at risk and those she loves in deadly peril, Maya questions everything she thought she understood about life, love, and loyalty.

307 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 20, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kathleen Baldwin

17 books858 followers
Kathleen Baldwin's stories are brimming with heart and humor. More than 650,000 copies of Kathleen Baldwin’s books are in the hands of readers around the globe. Her books have been translated into several languages, and a Japanese publisher even made Lady Fiasco into a manga. Her alternate history series for teens was optioned for film and licensed by Scholastic for school book fairs.

In addition to writing books, Kathleen loves adventure in real life. She taught rock climbing in the Rockies, survival camped in the desert and in the snow, was stalked by a mountain lion, spent way too long in college, fell in love, and married her very own beloved hero. They’ve raised four free-spirited adventurous children.

Find more about Kathleen on her Website, Newsletter, Twitter, Facebook

Awarded 2016 Spirit of Texas, A School for Unusual Girls , was her first historical romance for Young Adults. It is a Junior Library Guild selection. Publisher’s Lunch listed it in their 2015 Young Adult BookBuzz. Kansas State NEA Reading Circle gave it a starred review in their 2016 “Best of the Best” for High Schools. Scholastic licensed it for book fairs, and New York Times Book Review called it “enticing from the first sentence.”

Kathleen is also an avid reader and adores the wit and humor of Oscar Wilde, P.G. Wodehouse, and Jane Austen. Her eclectic reading interests range from Frank Herbert to Meg Cabot, and on to the delightfully imaginative tales of Diana Wynne Jones.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
15 (3%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews
Profile Image for Lisa Mandina.
1,811 reviews406 followers
October 2, 2019
I am such a huge fan of this series and had been waiting so long for the next book to come out. I was not disappointed in this next installment in the story. In fact, it's left in such a way, that while not a cliffhanger exactly, we're still left needing to know how things will go on. Even though this is actually a bit of an alternate history, there are still those traces of actual history that make me want to go read the true story to know how exactly things did go in real life. We've still got all our usual characters, both the good guys and the bad guys. We do have a new romance this time, of course, and I really like how it played out. I love this extra sense that Maya had, but it was even more exciting when it seemed as if maybe other people had it as well, ones you might not have imagined. The royal intrigue was spot on as usual, and the action was a constant character in the story as well. As I have already said, another great chapter in the Stranje House series, and I am excited for Sera's story next!

Review first appeared on Lisa Loves Literature.
Profile Image for Rel Carroll.
66 reviews2 followers
October 4, 2019
I don't think it's possible to read this book too many times! As always, the Stranje House ladies and returning characters are delightful, and while Maya has (for the most part) stayed quiet in the background, this book gives us captivating insight into her incredible character. Her viewpoint is so unique. Maya views the world through sound, and she has the ability to manipulate her voice to influence others-'magic' based on real-world gifts and talents. Her heroic journey to self-confidence and independence is both very fantastic and very real... and perfectly targeted for a YA audience! Plus, Maya's relationship with Lord Kinsworth is butterflies-toe-curling-eat-lots-of-chocolate *adorable*!

Second only to the authentic and diversified cast of characters (who wouldn't love to read more about Ms. Stranje or Lady Daneska?), the historical aspect of these novels is what draws me into the world so completely. What if Maya really had been the one to stand between Prince George and the Iron Crown? What if the words of a young girl meant the difference between freedom and subjugation? This series is chock-full of well-rounded, well-written women and men. I can hardly wait for the next (and final) installment with Sera and Mr. Chadwick!
1,343 reviews7 followers
September 29, 2019
Inviting

Ms Baldwin is a master craftsman with words. Maya may sway others with sound. Ms Baldwin does it with her use of words. Another entrancing story in this intriguing series. Can't get enough of it!! Love her characters, and their commitment to each other and their country. Belonging is such a strong need. Heady when found. These books are a must read, they feed your soul. Can't wait for the next one❣️
Profile Image for QNPoohBear.
2,913 reviews1,469 followers
January 6, 2020
Maya Barrington is a fish out of water. She has learned to blend in, to listen, to soothe people with the sound of her voice. There's nothing magical about it, she insists, only something her grandmother in India taught her. With England at war with France, Maya and her friends have been training as secret spies in Miss Stranje's school but Maya longs to return to her native India some day. When a dangerous enemy corners Maya and offers her a way to return home, Maya's loyalties are tested. Should she convince the Prince Regent to make peace with France in order to get to India or should she persuade Prince George to reject whatever Napoleon is offering? Either way Maya fears she will die. With the help of her friends and the teasing Lord Kinsworth, she makes her choice. If only she didn't have to pretend to be engaged to Lord Kinsworth to carry out this most dangerous mission. Lord Kinsworth confuses Maya with his teasing manner and hiding his inner music but he makes her heart flutter, drat the man. If only she could figure him out and if only she would survive this mission.

I was really intrigued by Maya in the previous books. Like everyone else I assumed her soothing voice was a paranormal ability. Apparently it's not but it seems like it in the context of the story. This story is a bit slow to begin. The first half is mostly Regency romance and setting up for the adventure that follows in the last third of the novel. I'm a little too old for this sweet teen romance. All the Stranje House girls basically have the same romantic plot- they don't understand their suitors and try to deny their true feelings. It gets old after a time. This romance is sweet and swoony- perfect for teen girls.

I love the premise of this series. I am always intrigued by stories about women and girls in the restrictive 19th-century as spies and heroines saving the world. I got a kick out of the lady Patronesses of Almacks as spies.

More interesting than romance is the political drama. This is an alternate universe and the evil is very dark. I was shocked by some of the violence the villain, Ghost, and his handmaiden Lady Daneska perpetrate. As in real life, the Prince Regent has a choice whether to make a peace deal with Napoleon or continue the long war. In this alternate world the Regent makes a different choice than he did in real life and the stakes are higher because of the evil Iron Crown organization headed by the devilish man known as "Ghost". Maya and her friends stand to lose their lives and everyone in Britain will lose everything they stand for. I don't like double agent spy stories but I was happy Maya confided in her friends and Miss Stranje. Teenage girls shouldn't be running off trying to save the world on their own. This group is better off as a team. The adventure left me breathless and turning the pages past midnight. There's a very shocking twist at the end that surprised me a lot. I didn't expect that to happen. Actually, there are lots of surprising twists. I love how each one of the girls plays to her strengths and works together to save the day.

Another subplot in this novel is Maya's relationship with her father. While an adult understands what Lord Barrington did to Maya, the important thing is that no one explained to her, a child, what was going to happen and why. She feels abandoned by her father and unloved. Lady Barrington doesn't help matters by being the wicked stepmother. She seems to be jealous of Maya and probably Maya's mother.

I noticed some typos and historical inaccuracies. The biggest thing that really bothered me was how worried everyone was about Maya NOT being alone with the Regent. Yes he was a ladies' man but he loved older women. Lady Jersey would know this being his old friend. Her mother-in-law was one of Prince George's mistresses, 20 years earlier. His current mistress at the time of the story is Lady Hertford. Perhaps in this alternate universe he prefers younger women or all women? The Prince Regent still comes across as stupid, petty and temperamental-very babyish. He reminded me strongly of another ruler. Maya is able to contain some of Prince George's pettiness with her soothing voice and beautiful singing. He wants her by his side to help him with his health and with a major political move. That's a lot of pressure on a young lady!

Maya handles everything that is thrown at her very maturely. She doesn't think she's capable of being so strong and brave but she surely is. I really like how her sweet, gentle exterior is hiding a lion inside! Maya is a sweetheart though. She's more mature than most 16-year-old girls because of her background. The racism of 19th-century-England is not ignored. Maya knows people talk about her and look about her. She is uncomfortable in her own skin. Even in India she didn't fit in but in India the love of her grandmother gives her comfort. Maya goes on a journey to learn to understand herself and learn how to let her inner lion out.

I like Lord Kinsworth even though he teases Maya when she doesn't understand. I'm curious about his inner music and how he hides from Maya. Lord Kinsworth may tease Maya but he's also quite brave. I think he's rather innocent up to this point. His uncle is the Prince Regent's bodyguard and also Kinsworth's guardian. Kinsworth feels smothered by his family's overprotective nature but it hasn't made him into a weak, spoiled or selfish man. He's willing to do what it takes to save his country but isn't opposed to having fun once in awhile. I don't know if he's the right suitor for Maya. He annoys her until she snaps and this brings out her true self. I feel this is a good thing but I also don't like how she doesn't fully understand his teasing and why he teases her. Kinsworth must be friends with Henry Tilney! Maya is more intelligent than Catherine Morland though.

The ladies of Stranje House are amazing. We're learning more about them, including Miss Stranje. Here Georgie and Lady Jane take a back seat to Maya and Sera. Tess is a big part of the story in the last half. Sera is Maya's confidante and best friend. Sera hides her light under a bushel, which sadly, is just what a young lady was taught to do in Regency society. Sera notices everything, even the side of Maya she tries to keep hidden. The one thing Sera doesn't notice is her own feelings for Mr. Chadwick. He is an honorable and intelligent young man. I'm looking forward to their story because I really like Sera and can relate to her being the quiet one in a noisy family.

This book is part of a series and does not stand alone. Each one overlaps events and includes characters from previous books. The war storyarc is also one that continues through the series. Some events are recapped but this works best as part of the series.
Profile Image for Katherine Paschal.
2,121 reviews55 followers
October 1, 2019
**More reviews can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Maya has wanted nothing more but to be returned to India and her beloved Grandmother, but her fate puts her elsewhere. The only other place she felt she belonged was among her friends and mentor at the Stranje House where she can be of use. When she becomes privy to a conspiracy against the Prince of England by invading Napoleon, Maya knows it is her duty to step up and make Stranje House proud- even it means it may cost her love and even her life.
While this is the fourth book in the Stranje House series, I feel like each book could possible stand on it's own. I have read the first book (which I highly recommend staring with) and it sets up the premise and the rumors for the Stranje House as well as what the girls are really being trained for (cough cough basically a spy school for talented girls who do not fit into society). The first book also helps to set the tone for the historical events going on in the background with Napoleon ruling the French and the brewing war with England. Keep in mind that I read the first book (forever ago) and jumped right into Harbor for the Nightingale, which is the fourth book in the series. Now that I gave you a run down, you pretty much can pick up any book in the series and jump in. Each story focuses on a different girl in the house coming into her own and understanding her unique skills, finding love and  playing a part in the bigger picture of stopping a war. And yes, the war is the same, but each book focuses on a different part or battle and there is enough backstory to not make you feel lost.
I would consider this series to be historical fiction with a few fantasy-like elements. All the events that take place are real, documented elements of the war between England and France, but with these heroic, quirky girls thrown in to help save the day- without anyone being the wiser. It really puts a flare on historical fiction, which is usually a genre I do not seek out, but makes this more exciting for someone like me (but equally as appealing to true fans of historical fiction).
I found Maya to be an interesting character, with a fierce temper yet at the same time a gentle heart that seemed made of glass. She was constantly struggling to determine whether she was a trapped nightingale or a fierce lion. She has spent her life feeling cast off and unwanted, never fitting in anywhere due to her half-breed status which has played a role in making her feel adrift. I liked her determination and loyalty, never once did she want to let down the girls who have become family. The one downside I felt to this book/her personality was the almost instant love she felt towards Ben, who she previously had a LOT of feelings towards, but not always the good kind. They never had  a moment to be able to chat or really know each other for her to just decide she loved him. I would have liked a few more interactions so that the relationship felt real.
I find Sera to be an interesting character and I am so glad that the next book features her. She seems to be the most overlooked and underestimated of the characters but there were moments in this story where she showed backbone, strength and skill nobody saw coming and I am so on board for that.I also absolutely loved Tess and her spunk so I need to go back desperately and read her book that I am missed out on!
Overall I found this an entertaining read and I will certainly go back and read the books I missed while I am waiting for the next book to come out. I recommend this series to anyone who loves historical fiction, political/court intrigue, spies, romance and strong females who can save themselves.
Profile Image for Tressa (Wishful Endings).
1,718 reviews181 followers
October 5, 2019
HARBOR FOR THE NIGHTINGALE is another entertaining addition to this series. Perfect for historical romance fans who like their stories with lovable characters, plenty of chemistry, fun banter, and danger. Those who are fans of the series will enjoy continuing it with Maya, one of Miss Stranje's girls.

It's been interesting reading each one of these books and getting to know each of the girls who live at Miss Stranje's boarding school. They each have their own strengths, talents, hidden pain, wishes, and faults. Maya was no different. It was interesting seeing how her skill with listening worked and how she interacted with others. I loved her character and how she tried to hold onto her heritage while navigating London society and expectations. I loved her mix of exotic culture and heart. I loved the strong unit of sisterhood these girls have and watching their friendships continue to grow in each book. I also loved the men who are in these women's lives. Most of them were in the background in this story, which was fine as the spotlight remained mostly on Maya and Ben.

The chemistry between Maya and Ben was easily felt from the beginning and I really enjoyed seeing them dance around each other. It's one of the things this author does so well... she mixes this fantastic romance that is sweet and sultry that you can feel, along with deep friendships and the dangers of spying. I also appreciate how each book has palpable chemistry, but the romances themselves aren't identical as each set of characters requires slightly different things. I so appreciate that it is all clean.

The plot of this book was steady mostly the entire time, with a few climatic places, and a very intense ending. I had time to get to know Maya and Ben and fall back into this time period before things got too crazy. I think the one thing that bothered me was how easily Daneska gets where she wants to be and how the girls seem to always not be ready for her. Ghost and Lady Daneska bring violence and terror wherever they go, so there was some slightly gruesome violence in this story. The characters of this series are still fighting to free England from the war with France, and their enemies are just as determined to see England fall.

In the end, was it what I wished for? I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Maya was an intriguing character. I loved her moments with Ben and with the other girls. If you're a fan of this series, this is a must read, and for historical romance and Steampunk fans, start this series if you have yet to do so! I'm looking forward to the next book where readers will get to see things from Sera's perspective.

Content: Violence, including references to torture.
Source: I received a complimentary copy from Rockstar Book Tours, which did not require a positive review nor affect it in any way.
Profile Image for Samantha Hastings.
Author 22 books176 followers
November 28, 2019
Lyrically written and utterly irresistible this fourth installment of the Stranje House Novels has a tempo and music of its own.

Maya is a daughter of two worlds, her father is English and her mother was Indian. She can use her voice to influence people and can hear the music of other people’s hearts. She is asked to pretend to be engaged to Lord Kinsworth so that they can influence the Prince Regent not to sign a treaty with Napoleon.
Like the other Stranje House Novels, there is plenty of action, surprises, and romance.

The beautiful melody of this book will stay with you after you’ve closed its pages.
Profile Image for Sara Cardon.
Author 4 books57 followers
November 3, 2019
Maya is a unique character who is finding her way through English society -- and as a spy under dire straits. She's paired with Lord Kensworth, who is as seemingly light-hearted as she is serious, and who Maya cannot figure out. Suspense, intrigue, romance, and adventure are all threaded together to tell a yarn of a tale that kept me turning pages!
Profile Image for Tian.
19 reviews17 followers
November 2, 2020
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 for Goodreads. I was so excited to get my hands on this book! I have really enjoyed this series, despite my rocky start with the first book.

I really love that we get to dive into the minds of each of the Stranje House girls and that they each have their own rich personalities, back stories, and strengths. Maya was particularly interesting as we got to experience how she views the world through music and sound.

I will say that the romance in these books pretty much follow the same formula every time, so by the time Maya’s romance came around, I wasn’t too impressed (although to be honest, I don’t think I particularly loved any of the romances). I was actually a little turned off by Lord Kinsworth in particular, especially after I was very proud of Maya and the other girls for shutting down his “I will protect and save you and you are too fragile for this nonsense.” I know it’s the 1800s and its to be expected, but STILL.

What I really love about these books is the friendship/kinships the characters have, the political intrigue, and the action! The action came mostly at the end of the book but there was enough plotting and girl power/bonds of sisterhood vibes to keep me interested the whole time.

If you don’t think too hard about the actual politics/situations that occur (like really, it seemed like there were no guards anywhere at all accompanying the Prince) then this book and the series as a whole is pretty great. It was an enjoyable quick read with a little dash of everything. 😊

I also really love this time period. I know this book is historically inaccurate, but I got a kick out of the mention of bathing machines (mentioned at the very end) and of Brighton. The Dark Days Club takes place in roughly the same time period, so it was fun noticing similarities.
Profile Image for Jessica.
99 reviews1 follower
January 25, 2021
This was a really good book! At their coming out ball, Prince George makes an announcement that he will be meeting with Napoleon in about 3 weeks. Miss Stranje and the patronesses think that it is time for dire measures and they tell Maya that she has to pretend to be engaged to Lord Kinsworth! Maya does not like the idea, but that is the only way that someone can be in the same place as Prince George. Will Maya be able to help, or will it all be to much for her???
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews221 followers
October 3, 2019
Note: This is the fourth book in a series that must be read in order.
If you are new to the Stranje House series, check out my review of book one, A School for Unusual Girls HERE, my review of book two,  HERE, and my review of book three HERE
---------------

Harbor For the Nightingale is the fourth book in the Stranje House series by Kathleen Baldwin. The Stranje House series is my absolute favorite alternative history (with a fantasy element) series of all time. Stranje House is the school that our main characters attend, and it is basically a secret spy school for young ladies with impressive talents. Each of the books is told from one of the five Stranje House girls point of views. Book one was Georgie, book two is Tess,  book three is Jane, and book four is Maya's story. The series follows a single timeline and the events of the books take place one right after another, so the series must be read in order. But from each book we get to see the next set of events unfold from a different perspective. It is brilliantly done, and I am loving how all of the stories weave together. Kathleen Baldwin has become an auto-buy author for me.

Harbor For the Nightingale is Maya's story.  Without spoiling the details of the plot, because as I have said, this is a series that needs to be read in order- Maya's story felt a little different for me than the first three books. Maya has a very interesting inner conflict going on. She is both fierce, yet fragile, and that theme played it self out beautifully throughout the story. Kathleen really is a master storyteller. I love her writing style and character development. Maya learns of a conspiracy, and she has to enter Napoleon's ranks as a double agent! Maya's story was exhilarating, with plenty of action, twists, turns intrigue, and all the wit, charm and bits of romance that I have come to love from this series. Maya's loyalty throughout the story is one of the reasons why I love her so much. Plus, her "ability" is awesome!

The Stranje House series is quickly turning into one of my favorites. I love that it blends different genres effortlessly. It is part historical fiction/alternate history, party magic, and part secret spy school. I have never read another book quite like it. I can't wait for Sera's story. It is one I have been looking forward to from the beginning. I love that none of the girls are standout stars. They are each so fascinating, and valuable in their own regard. A true sisterhood. I love watching them all work together. The ending of Harbor the the Nightingale left me breathless for more. I need the next book right now.

Overall, Harbor For the Nightingale is a fantastic addition to the Stranje House series. This is a series for readers and lovers of all different genres. I think everyone should read this series. There will be something in between these pages that you will fall in love with, I'm more sure of it with each book that I read. I said it in my review of the last book, and I will say it again- I hope that this series is longer than five novels. It is one of my favorite series of all time. Kathleen Baldwin is a mastermind just like Lady Jane, and she has me eagerly waiting for more. Bring on Sera's story!

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs
Profile Image for Kirsten.
484 reviews1 follower
October 7, 2019
The much anticipated and awaited 4th out of 5 installments in the Stranje school. We’ve seen Tess, Lady Jane, and Georgie each develop as spies, young women, gifted and talented ingenues, and love interests. Now it’s Maya’s turn to use her gift of the voice to help win against Napoleon, and time for her to fall in love. Maya’s backstory is fascinating as is her love story and the odd situation with the Prince Regent. Overall, a very satisfying book. Love it for historic fiction.
Profile Image for Brittany.
122 reviews3 followers
May 11, 2020
I enjoy the whole premise of the series; a fictitious take on history, where 5 brave women secretly defy societies standards for the good of Britain. However, I was incredibly disappointed to find in this book that the woman I felt was one of the stronger females completely lacked character development. She seemed like she would not tolerate men pushing her around, and is often compared to a lioness, but in a paragraph goes from being a strong independent woman who does not want to kiss her suitor and in fact refuses, to giving in to his slightly creepy "charm" and falling head over heels in an instant. It was really poorly written in that regard and incredibly cheesy. I'm in it for the long haul though, and despite the corniness, I enjoy the premise and look forward to the final book in the series.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,159 reviews35 followers
July 17, 2021
Maya has always been one of my favorite characters from these books. India fascinates me. And her gift reminds me of synesthesia.

Things are changing. Loyalties shifting, new recruits joining, and things that were shadowed are being revealed. I only hope there will be a fifth book. It’s promised but it’s been some time now since this one was written so I’m wondering if it will ever exist.

Lots of action in this one. Danger and excitement and I was fearful for lives many times. I didn’t feel like Maya and Lord Kinsworth were as well developed as some of the other characters but that could be due to the action stealing some of their time and that they weren’t in other books to start with. I probably would rate this 3.5 but I’ll round up to 4 :)
Profile Image for Jenny.
776 reviews11 followers
February 23, 2020
I really liked how this series started out. But I think this is my last read in it. Here's why:
Does everyone have to get with someone? Every single person?? And of course all the men are handsome and smart and it's all perfect and love matches and.... It's starting to get on my nerves.
The Napoleon stuff feels a little out of control. The plot keeps getting more and more out of hand. Especially when you consider the people that were really available to help at the time.
No one's story is finishing. It's drawn out I guess until Napoleon is done? But regardless, everyone seems to be in limbo, their lives on hold while they risk their lives over and over every week.
Profile Image for Morgan Atkinson.
33 reviews
April 5, 2020
I liked the book a lot and the interesting perspective it showed of Maya and her gift. I have never heard of someone being able to hear the music of life and use it to her advantage. The whole book of talks about how she can’t figure out Ben’s music and it’s almost as if he can hide his true music from her. Well at the very end he admits that he can hear music too and has always heard hers then BAM the end of the book. I was disappointed they didn’t go into more detail about his ability to hear music as well and where he learned to do it from. But that is my only complaint. Overall really enjoyed the book and I’m dying for the last one of the series.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for CR.
2,720 reviews28 followers
April 21, 2020
This has been one of my all time favorite series since I picked up A School for Unusual Girls and each story has just gotten better. It broke my heart when I heard that the publisher wasn't going to publish any more of these and they pretty much just left us hanging. But now the author is back on her own with two more amazing stories!!! This one about Maya is just what I was looking for in a continuance to this beautiful and outstanding series. Maya's story blew me away so many times and of corse made me cry. I can not wait to see where Baldwin takes us to in the next installment of this historical young adult story.
239 reviews3 followers
February 18, 2020
Maya’s story was great! Napoleon is determined to take England and attempts to lure Prince Regent George into a peace agreement. Can Maya stop it with her miraculous ability to control other’s behavior? Can Maya even survive London after Miss. Stranje has officially introduced them to society? A great story with incredible sisterhood. Baldwin’s devotion to studying the complex subject of Maya’s alleged miraculous ability was certainly obvious and I enjoyed reading about it. I can’t wait for Sera’s story (& more hilarious exchanges involving Tess’s antics)!
Profile Image for Stephanie A..
Author 5 books46 followers
April 5, 2020
I can’t help it. I love this series. I loved Maya’s character in this. We had been lacking much of her story and now I’m relishing in it. This book had so much action and so much romance that were perfectly balanced. My only sadness is that we were deprived of the earlier girls for the most part. I was glad Tess got a larger role in the end but I need Kathleen to write up some novellas of the progressing relationships between all the Stranje house girls and their romantic partners. Especially Tess and Ravencross.

I love it all. I can’t wait for Sanctuary of Seers!
Profile Image for Candice Allen .
469 reviews1 follower
September 29, 2020
Maya

I enjoyed Maya's story and the fascinating gift that she has. This story felt different from the others so it took a little longer to read. I would find myself caught up in the story and then I'd hit portions that were too descriptive such as the palace kicking me out of the story in a way.
I'm not thrilled it ended on a bit of a cliff hanger and I hope the next book comes soon to answer the questions that I'm left with about England and the prince and Sera's story, etc.
Author 7 books15 followers
February 29, 2020
Harbor for the Nightingale is part of an amazing series but stands well on its own. The story gives us an intriguing young heroine and a vivid picture of early 1800s Europe. Kathleen Baldwin's writing is beautifully lyrical with similes, metaphors, alliteration, and rich vocabulary. Highly recommended.
182 reviews
May 29, 2020
I loved diving deeper into Maya's character. In the past 3 books we don't see much of her and I found I rather liked her! I loved the idea of hearing people's inner music and and liked that she actually learned the skill instead of it just being magic. I am super excited to read the next book about Sera! Baldwin hinted at Sera's skills a few times and I can't wait to read more.
457 reviews2 followers
October 25, 2020
Maybe less than a four star book but another good story to add to the Stranje House world. I am intrigued by Mayas gift in general and the words from the author at the end that this is indeed a real thing and gift. This book is a bit of a cliffhanger, ugh!
I really enjoy these characters and I enjoy the authors style of writing. Another solid book!
761 reviews8 followers
February 18, 2020
Sigh. I love this series with all my heart. The worst thing about any of the books is waiting for the next book to come out. The 2nd worse thing is not having anyone else I know love the books as much as I do. Maya has found her love. Sigh.
49 reviews3 followers
August 8, 2020
This was super good and didn't let me down one bit. It was a great installment to the series and I can't wait for book five to come out. I enjoyed it all the way through and read it in one day. I loved following Maya and her struggles were really interesting to read about.
Profile Image for Remy.
21 reviews9 followers
October 30, 2020
Slow at the beginning but omg how amazing it was once it got interesting! I couldn't put it down. The way Maya sees the world, through music and just sensing the inner songs of everything is so enchanting to read and the way she talks about Ben just makes my heart melt. :)
Profile Image for madis_reads .
4 reviews
April 4, 2021
It was a good book, but probably the worst out of the series. Like I would read it again if I reread the series but it fell a little bit flat for me. I don't know, something about it felt kind of stilted and forced.🤷🏼‍♀️
Profile Image for Judith Chelekis.
289 reviews8 followers
April 16, 2021
Still a very good series but how to resolve what is happening? I know there is another in the series that is supposed to be ready in Fall 2021 (maybe). Looking forward to it. And is one book going to be enough to tie up all the threads?
1 review
May 27, 2021
Hello,how is your day?i would lile to say that the stranje house seires is amazing and I have a question that has been bugging me and i wanted to ask u. When is the 5th book coming out? And could you make more books about yess and lord ravencross or gorgie and Sebastian
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.