Start by marking “Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)

Circus of the Damned

(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #3)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  85,368 ratings  ·  1,563 reviews
When a powerful centuries-old vampire hits Anita Blake's town, a battle of the undead ensues.
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Berkley Books (first published 1995)

·  85,368 ratings  ·  1,563 reviews

Start your review of Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
Evgeny
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Jesus, are all vampires over two hundred perverts?"
"I am over two hundred," Jean-Claude said.
"I rest my case.”

I postponed writing this review for as long as I could. Then I postponed it again. Then again. Finally I realized I need to do it right now before I forget what is was about. The reason was I have no clue how to rate the book. I was hoping for a bright idea, a Eureka! moment, something. Nothing came. And here I am as clueless as I was right after finishing.
Clueless

So about the plot of Circus
Jilly

Well, it's not going to be Anita. This girl is obsessed with her Nikes. Nikes are mentioned in this book so many times that if you played a drinking game with "Nike" as your word, you would be smashed by the halfway point of the book.

But, don't worry, she always color coordinates her Nikes with a sporty fanny pack. To look more fashionable, of course.

So, even though we want to picture Anita like this:

She is actually more like this:

So, in this book we have a pack of vampires murdering people.
Bark the Overwrought Keyboard Warrior
I am really enjoying my rereading of this series. Going back to the beginning of the series has reminded me why I continue to read along even though it has morphed into another beast entirely. These early books were so great because the men and the sex weren’t the focus of the entire freaking plot.

Here Anita is still working as an animator and an assistant to preternatural police force. Anita has a full plate, as usual, after a full night of corpse raising, she’s then hounded by members of “the
Sammy Loves Books
Anita Blake to the rescue again???!!!

I'm afraid my love affair with Anita's badass ways may be coming to an end. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

description

It's kinda like when you have a crush on someone so everything they do is wonderful. But a few months into the relationship the actions you once loved start to annoy the crap out of you. I'm starting to feel that way towards Anita. I loved her bitchiness, no soft edges, tough as nails, I don't date vampires, I kill them attitude. But now I am
Crystal Starr Light
"Your questions will make something simple last all...day."

Just three books in, and already we can see a pattern forming. Dudes come to Anita to have her do something; she says, in no uncertain terms, "No". Dolph calls her to investigate a murder; it ends up being the weirdest, most unusual murder Anita has ever seen. Jean-Claude makes the moves on her; Anita tells him to F@#$ off. Anita does minor investigating, bad guys come out of the woodworks to try to kill her, Anita is rude and sarcastic
Cassandra
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Without a doubt, better than the first two. I really like Jean-Claud. He is the reason I am reading these books. I have never wanted a bad guy to get the girl before, it's fun. Anita was a bit disappointing. I'm beginning to wonder if Jean-Claud deserves better.

The swearing is excessive and redundant. And I realize that in a series you have to make each book a stand alone and therefore have to explain the same thing several times. But does it have to be word for word? There are literally
Lena
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F7A21138-8688-4EE8-818A-E972070502C7.jpg
“I could have made this pleasant, but now I think I want you to hurt. Look into my eyes, mortal, and despair.”
- Alejandro

Oooh, bad guys coming at Anita from all sides. It was action packed, complicated, and I loved it!

This is our first introduction to Richard, gorgeous pain in the ass. You get the taste of all the passionate battles to come between them.

Here are some of my castings:
0CA9CB4D-8AA4-4929-9505-2B1059CE8312.jpg
C147B34B-5AB4-445D-A7B3-9F1C5AF3B92E.jpg
F32042A4-291A-454F-8FC0-08D260A14DCB.jpg
F758DA5E-FB35-48C7-BC5E-A0EF140F6041.jpg
6D10DA23-2F4F-4BDF-BEA8-3DA88753F30A.jpg
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Laurell Hamilton’s work. The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series is outstanding!

The first two books in this series, Guilty Pleasures and The Laughing Corpse are amazing pieces of work.

This book declares no less awesomeness. This is the book that wraps you around the series and pulls everything together. This book is really the beginning of the journey that whips and turns you into a reality that is completely twisted, morbid and simply put, cool!

Anita Blake is introduced to a few
Pam Nelson
Anita and Richard, you can see the sparks but I am not totally convinced.
I know she is fighting her attraction to Jean-Claude because of what he is.

We find out there are bigger bad out there then even Anita knew and things get heated. I will tell you I am not a fan of snakes and this book has a lot of them.

Overall I enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to seeing where this story is going to take us.

Again I am a fan of the narration I like the voices she uses.
Nicole
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

For all the Anita Blake books - I started this series with my then friend, Meredith - she actually got me hooked that fateful summer of 2000 when I was living on her wooden floor in Brooklyn. We were both unemployed and bored and got hooked into this series. I loved Anita Blake because it was before I discovered the new genre - what I like to call "badass chicks who kick ass!" written in first person - and so she was all empowering and of course there were hot vampires and werewolves in it.

Wanda
I’m still enjoying the Anita Blake series, although I have to tell you, Anita does not seem like a 24 year old character to me. I think she would be much more believable as someone in her late 30’s or early 40’s considering how jaded she seems to be and how experienced she thinks she is.

I wonder if Hamilton got any money from Nike for product placement? It seems like she mentions the shoes by name at least once per chapter. Although I suppose I could say the same thing about 2-3 brands of gun….
Damecatoe
Aug 02, 2007 rated it liked it
I also thought the premise of Anita Blake was pretty cool. She's an Animator, see? She raises zombies for a living. And vampires are legal citizens. Eventually, she's supposed to get involved with both a vampire and a werewolf. I say eventually cause even though I thought this was a central theme of the books, I've read 2 and a half of them and there have been nary a creature-of-the-night and vampire hunter smoochie. I take that back. There was one, but it was one of those contrived "fake kiss ...more
Kami
Jan 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hated the book. Maybe it's a case of reading too many in the series so close together but I am so done with the love/hate thing Anita has with Jean-Claude and her supposed badass attitude. The writing misses the mark trying to create what I would consider a strong dominant character and instead the character comes across as very insecure, hates herself and everyone around her and has a really lousy sense of fashion. Maybe others like that kind of psychological baggage but it's not for ...more
Sally
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, paranormal, adult
There's a new Master in town, and Anita has to stop his coven before they eat everyone. The problem is, her usual vampire informants aren't panning out. All they know is that the new Master Vampire(s) has swarmed in to test the current Master of the City. They doubt his strength because he clearly can't control Anita. But, y'know guys, even Anita can barely control Anita.

Circus of the Damned kind of made me sigh in relief because it was, for the most part, less graphic than the previous book. To
taveena kade
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
things are started to heat up...drama here i come!!
Sofi
Circus of the Damned did not scare me or grossed me out as much as Guilty Pleasures or The Laughing Corpse. I also didn't like it as much as the last two books of the series.

Jean-Claude is turning Anita's life into one hell of a big mess; Anita is firstly baited by a vampire Master called Alejandro, who controls a pack of rabid vampires who have chewing up people and leaving them on the cemetery. Alejandro wishes to know who is the Vampire Master controlling the city of St.Louis, and his where
Brittany
3.5

A band of rogue masters has come to town and are out in the streets killing people. Anita Blake will have to decide who she is loyal to in this action packed, fast paced novel.

I reread this book, and while I remembered quite a few of the plot points, I still enjoyed the book. Anita Blake is still a kick butt necromancer who happens to execute vampires along with helping the police regional preternatural crimes unit. With all of this going on she still finds time to date, which is the one
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I enjoyed the first two books in the series but this one didn't work for me. I'm deducting a full star from my rating because Jean-Claude sucks (you SUCK Jean-Claude). He dresses like a reject from "Purple Rain" and seems to need to attend a few seminars on the nature of consent and yet Anita thinks she might love him a little. Or something. Whatever. Their "relationship" has always been the weakest part of the three books I've read so far (and yes, I know the author switches from UF to erotica ...more
Donna
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read 4 books in this series, and I enjoy the entertainment value of them. They are just fun! I love Jean-Claude. The narrator does a great job on his voice, as well as with the other characters. I always love a good narrator. I also like the MC, Anita. She is, for the most part, humorous. Sometimes the dialog feels forced and causes some eye rolling, but for the most part it keeps me interested. As long as I can say that and mean it, I'll keep reading more in this series.
Carrie
I liked it...I didn't love it.

This novel didn't have a lot of slow moments , events happened bang bang bang which for me was good. I don't think I could have handled Anita if she was given enough alone or downtime then I would have had to deal with her mind. And honestly at this stage in the game, 3 books in is only early but I'm not a big fan of the character. Or the characters.

The story over all is interesting, and the actions scenes are attention holding. I'm hoping as time goes on the
Shannon
I'm gonna give this one five stars even though it did kind of annoy me at times. I'm pretty easygoing with my five stars, though. It entertained me, and I still love the story, so five stars it is. I get a little tired of Anita's stubbornness. There were several times when I was listening to it, and the line from Interview with a Vampire kept going through my mind. I could picture Lestat saying, "Oh, Louis, Louis. Still whining, Louis," because sometimes Anita just never stops! I get it. Anita ...more
iva
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still love it
Jammin Jenny
So Anita Blake meets another master vampire, Oliver, and has to save Jean Claude. She's forced to drink vampire blood and she gets one step closer to becoming Jean Claude's human. She also has another love interest, Richard, but will he be able to stand her line of work?
Katherine Madison
Bunnycore
I don't have much to say about this one with the exception I believe this was the moment that I started to fall in love with that Frenchman. I have to say that I love the visual that LKH brings in this book. I love every part of him. I can not wait for the two of them to come together.

so here since I do not have an official review for you have some saucy men images..

I am honestly curious what other people think their male characters would look like?

Joan
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typos! So many typos.
And don't even get me started on how annoying Anita Blake is. There were so many times I wanted to fling this book across the room because she did yet another stupid thing. There were so many "Seriously! WTF" moments, in fact there were just too many.
And what's with her obsession with Nikes and bad clothes? Has this woman got absolutely no fashion sense?
And then of course there's the nipples. Nipples everywhere!
How is this a best seller?
Sara
Okay, I made it to book 3. Why? I'm not sure. It's like eating potato chips. I don't really like them, but the bag is there so I keep on eating them. . . .

This is so over-the-top and silly. But I kept on turning the pages. Had to see just who she was going to blow away with her gun(s) or stab with her knives.

One small woman, all those ancient vampires. And no one can kill this woman? Really?

Sigh. Against my better judgement, on to book 4. . . .I'm opening another bag.
Tonya
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is the best in the series. I am only on book 4. They keep getting better. The ending was dramatic and had me immediately reaching for book 4 (Lunatic Cafe).
Aly
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
These books are pretty crazy and all over the place. I almost feel like there's a little too much going on sometimes, I have a hard time keeping up with who's who and who is trying to kill Anita now. All the action does help the book go by faster and the narration and sound is pretty cool. Sometimes Anita is a bit prejudiced and I would like her to be a little nicer. I do like seeing all the different supernatural characters, like lycanthropes, shapeshifters, and zombies. I'm looking forward to ...more
Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
description

I don't like Richard the bitch. He annoys me greatly.

description

I don't like my "supposed-alpha-wolfman" acting like a pussy whipped idiot.

Jean Claude all the fucking way.

• Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • A Discovery of Witches Vol. 1 of 2
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)
“Can the sarcasm,' he said. 'Please, I always use fresh sarcasm, never canned.” 593 likes
“He was twenty. I remembered twenty. I'd known everything at twenty. It took me another year to realize I knew nothing. I was still hoping to learn something before I hit thirty, but I wasn't holding my breath.” 228 likes