Start by marking “Lost in the City of @” as Want to Read:
Lost in the City of @

Lost in the City of @

Rhubarb Pie is gone…

Twelve-year-old Samantha has special powers, but she has yet to master them.

In the wake of September 11th, 2001, Sammy attempts to use her powers to turn back time and change the course of history in search of her lost father, whom she affectionately calls Rhubarb Pie. However, in her botched attempt to manipulate fate, she falls down a rabbit hole
Published April 1st 2020 (first published February 28th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the City of @, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in the City of @

Start your review of Lost in the City of @
Douglas
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lost in a Great Book

Lost in the City of @ is like The Phantom Tollbooth and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Michael Bell's style of writing reminds me of the stories by Ronald Dahl. This is a roller coaster of an adventure, full of creative language and colorful characters. It is a wonderful tribute to New York City and a strong reminder and therapeutic journey for processing the events of 9/11.
Jose Arias
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My kids are voracious readers, and with spending so much time at home during the Corona Virus Pandemic, they’ve been tearing through books like crazy! I liked the concept of Lost in the City of @, so I bought a few copies for my kids, and they can’t put it down. They keep talking about the fun characters and events of the book, and I love to see them so excited about reading. They also asked me about September 11th, because they’re too young to know much about it yet. I thought this book served ...more
Isabella Tugman - Audiobook Narrator
What an adventure! This book is quirky, creative, and full of heart.

The nonsensical style and kooky characters are quite reminiscent of "Alice in Wonderland," while metaphors represent the pain and despair that arose out of the tragedies of 9/11. It's a fabulous book that can be enjoyed by kids, teens, and adults alike.

My book club is reading/discussing this book in June, and I can't wait to hear the debates and discussions that arise! It's a great book to read in a group setting.

Overview:

"Alice
Lizzie Myers
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely lovely. Bell paints a perfect picture of the mindset of a preteen as she deals with loss. Poignant message, beautifully written. Samantha is relatable and readers will feel for her every turn of the adventure. I enjoyed each of the characters. Not one was unlikable. I got it on Amazon Unlimited and finished the book in a day.
Citlally Vasquez
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Be prepared to be lead back to the reality through and adorable and full of enchantment story, where you will be able to recognize the metal stage that a lost could cause.
Jeanette
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Tera Pate
Aug 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aug-dec-2020
Honestly, I hate giving bad reviews, but I could not wrap my head around this book. I liked the Alice in Wonderland and Wrinkle in Time vibes, but I really did not understand what was going on 99% of the time. Great first chapter, cool ideas, but ridiculously hard to understand storyline.
Catherine Warren
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The concept of time is central to this mind bending fantasy rooted in the events surrounding 911. I loved listening to the audiobook version of "Lost in the City of @," narrated by Isabella Tugman. She is able to breathe life into the complex characters in a unique and lighthearted way. Sammy’s ability to warp time back and forth reminded me a bit of “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” as the children use portals to travel back to times of historical events.

The story, concepts, and c
Krissy Mccutcheon
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never in my life would I have thought I would like a science fiction or fantasy book. But I am a personal friend of Isabella, who recorded the audio for this book. I am so happy that I read this book. I couldn’t put it down from the very first chapter. Never in my life have I ever thought that anyone would think like me. Let me give you an example, how do we really know that the color blue is the color blue when it could really be the color red? Or how do we know today is not tomorrow or yesterd ...more
Kay
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, I can’t seem to put it down. MickeyBell you certainly have a wild imagination. I’m on chapter 11 fantastic book but I don’t want to end it I want to keep reading it.So if you want to get a wild book I highly recommend this for you you won’t be disappointed, any age can read this
Eric Gold
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am looking forward to the release of this book. Love the description! Love the topic! Can't wait. ...more
Jacob L.
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
--My review delivers two views. My wife’s, Lori, who broke her wrist a couple of days ago and unable to use her computer. And my review, following the Good Reads giveaway win. I am going to combine the two perspectives here, which reflect our mutual understanding and impression of the Lost in the City of At book.

--I start by saying loud and clear – DO NOT READ this book unless you are ready to be immersed in and consumed by intense storytelling, mad plot, unsettling scenes, endless button-pressi
Amber
Oct 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Viva Carol
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CLASSIC.

I am an avid reader. Lost in the City of @ is my "all-times" favorite book.

There is Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, and Marcello Mastroianni. And now, there are Izzy Tugman and Michael Bell--outstanding producers, authors, and artists who created this classic book.

Not only the story-line depicts jarring drama and tragedy that are arduous to overcome on a personal level, but also pierces deep into our nation's psyche--the soul of our existence.

Topics such as freedom, cultural decl
Becky Comer
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lost in the city is a good book about a 12 year old girl name Sammy who has special powers . In the wake of September 11, 2001 Sammy wants to use her powers and go back in time to fine her Dad. When Sammy falls in the whole that made me think of the story .
Alice in wonderland when Alice was looking in a minor trying to fine her way home. In my advice this book
Lost in the city by Michael Bell is a very good book to read and I loved all of the people in the. Story's
September 11 was a day that no
George Kondetherail
A uniquely original story that bring together the horrors of 911 but paves the way to a story of a girl with incredible powers on a quest to find her "Rubharb Pie" - how can one not cheer? It was a real pleasure to read, a truly unique work of fantasy that isn't a rehash of LOTR or GOT. It was a quick read but nevertheless made you think of the loss, pain, grief, search for meaning and a quest for salvation - all packaged into a terrific work of fiction. ...more
Alisha Crawford
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I can’t exactly rate it yet because I haven’t read it....but I’m going to be bold and give it 5 stars. I have no doubt that I will love this book and - because it’s the type of reader I am - cry through it too.
Future review to come (once I actually read it 😁).
Janelle Divah
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written
Sheila Gagnon
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
absolutely awesome! If you need to get away, pick up this! I was thoroughly immersed and very entertained
Madhurima
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After a very long time have I loved a Fantasy/Sci-fi Book and oh so well written! The style and characters remind me of 'Alice in Wonderland' but yet talks about a very serious topic 'loss' and 'tragedy'. This book is gripping and a mix of imagination, tragedy, fantasy, reality and lots of metaphors. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves Fantasy fiction. Looking forward to buy the Hard-copy to add to my collection and reread it again. ...more
Dina
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being that 9/11 was a terrible day, this book brings some fun to that date.

Samantha goes in search for her lost father Rhubarb Pie. She has special powers that he is learning how to use them and wants to travel back in time to find him. She ends up in a hole where there is a virtual word with many characters. she has to find way to find her faith again, her father and get back home.

I loved the names of the characters and the love a girl has for her father. This is a charming story, it has sorro
Lisa Nathan
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In these frightening times of a global pandemic, where the future presents itself as extremely uncertain, Michael Bell provides a parallel universe. In the protagonist's search for her father she encounters leaders who don't lead and a city constructed of technological layers in the guise of a wedding cake. Longings and vulnerabilities are intertwined with time warps and encounters with comical characters.
Thank you Michael Bell for providing escape, laughter and life; and Isabella Tugman for her
Jenny Barber
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The title captivated me to want to read more and I'm so glad I did! It was a book that I couldn't put down until I finished! I love the style of the book that uses a mix of science fiction splashed with reality. My 15 year old also enjoyed it! This is a great book for a family to read together or form a book club with! Highly recommend! ...more
Kennedy
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a very great book!! 10/10 review. Would definitely recommend!! If I could read it again, I would!!
Nisrine
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book definitely a good book especially for quarantine
Darlene Burns
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cant wait to read this book .The preview of the book sounds fantastic.From what i have heard it will be excellent.
Sait Ilhaner
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of the year. Lots of twists and plots.
Myiaaa
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read a book in a long time but truly like this one a lot.
adik miftakhur
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book is simply amazing. I need more people to read this gem.
Florence Cochrane
After reading the reviews I am looking forward to reading the book.

• Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • You Were Never Really Here
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • The Safe Place
  • Smash It! (Smash It! #1)
  • Thick as Thieves
  • No Way Home
  • Once Upon a Time I Lived on Mars: Space, Exploration, and Life on Earth
  • Edgar Allan Poe Tarot
  • The Fate of a Flapper (The Speakeasy Murders #2)
  • Warbot 1.0: AI Goes to War
  • Beneath the Veil (Into the Rabbit Hole #1)