Start by marking “Once Upon a Sunset” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Sunset

Once Upon a Sunset

The author of The Key to Happily Ever Aftera true gem filled with heart, laughs, and a cast of delightful characters (Nina Bocci, USA TODAY bestselling author)returns with a heartwarming and charming novel about a woman who travels to the Philippines to reconnect with her long-lost familyand manages to find herself along the way.

Diana Gallagher-Cary is at a tipping point.
Published March 3rd 2020 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Sunset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Sunset

Start your review of Once Upon a Sunset
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh No! I already plan to run for prime ministry of Switzerland ( I already memorized its National Anthem) Why I stuck with three starred, off shore land books! WHYYYY!!!

Let's just we have another say feel-good, soft, heartfelt mother-daughter, grief, self-discovery story but also Switzerland read for me! I didnt adore it but I didnt hate it at all because its well written book with layered characterization and moving, tear-jerking story.

Diana (daughter) is an OB/GYN at the hospital, ends her
Nursebookie
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tif Marcelo, the author of The Key to Happily Ever After returns with a heartwarming and charming novel about Diana, an OB/GYN physician whose life is disrupted - first by a decision she made professionally against the hospital administration, then a recent break up from a long term boyfriend, her mother Margo moving in, then finally a recent shocking discovery of love letters found after her grandmothers death.

The letters were from Antonio Cruz, her grandfather written in the 1940s whom they
Katie B
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it

I am always drawn to stories that revolve around family secrets. I think it's just this natural curiosity to see how a character, or in this case characters, will react after finding out some pretty shocking news. And what I enjoyed the most about this story was the author managed to bring something new to the table as it involved an interesting conflict between the mother and daughter.

Diana Gallagher-Cary is an OB/GYN at a hospital and one day at work she does what is best for her
Sherwood Smith
A lovely, vivid, insightful read that focuses on Filipino-American characters. I don't think I've ever read any fiction that focuses on Filipino characters, only history.

Diana and her mother Margo are very different people, now living together after the death of Margo's mother and Diana's grandmother. Margo is an artist, and seems to drift through life always looking for art, which drives focused, disciplined Diana crazy.

So Margo is recovering from her mother's death while Diana is dealing with
Melike
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Although the book started strong for me, I lost interest halfway through. Also, I was expecting more romance and less family drama, so I felt let down about that.

Thank you so much to Netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
The Lit Bitch
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I read Tif Marcelo for the first time last year, The Key to Happily Ever After, and thought it was super fun and a very satisfying read! I was obviously eager to get my hands on her latest release to see if the magic continued going strong!

I was especially eager to travel to an exotic location in this one. The author is Pilipino and since this book is set in the Philippines, I thought her culture and experiences would really shine in this book.

I also really liked the idea of a closely
Camille Pagán
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love books about women who face lifes challenges head-on and come out stronger for it. Tif Marcelos latest, about a mother and her adult daughter who travel to the Philippines to uncover the truth about their family history, contains romance, self-discovery, and even a bit of mysterybasically everything I want in a thought-provoking page-turner. Bonus: I finished it with tears in my eyesmy favorite way to end a story! Tif Marcelo is quickly becoming one of my must-read authors. ...more
Read In Colour
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Tif Marcelo's The Key to Happily Ever After, so downloading her latest, Once Upon a Sunset, was a no brainer. As she did with The Key (whose character's business gets a brief mention in Once), she delivers smart female characters her readers have come to know and love.

I love historical fiction and I love a good HEA and Marcelo manages to blend both of these genres flawlessly. Told through present day encounters and a series of letters exchanged by her grandparents, Once Upon a Sunset
Alexa
While I didnt 100% fall in love with this story the way Id been hoping to, it was still a good read. Its got a compelling premise, and a lot of heart, and so many elements of Dianas trip to the PI and her experience with her extended family were relatable. ...more
Janet (mommy.the.reader)
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, gr-giveaways
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Once Upon a Sunset has mystery, romance, family drama, plus a dash of historical fiction all weaved together into a compelling and heartwarming story. I personally loved the social media references, and I thought the dynamic between Diana and her love interest was especially brilliant.👌
Camille Oquendo
Ive been slowly trying to read more works by Filipino authors. Tif Marcelo is a new to me author whom I stumbled upon while on Goodreads and Netgalley. While reading the synopsis for Once Upon A Sunset, I knew this book was something that I definitely wanted to read.

Told in dual POV interspersed with corresponding letters between Dianas grandfather and grandmother during WWII, this is a story of self-discovery, uncovering family secrets and learning about your roots. What happens when everything
Kendall
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute story!!!

Initially, I was thinking this was going to be a romance but it was more a family story which I loved!

I loved how the author ties the story between a mother and a daughter. It was a nice to see a story involved in the hospital setting. I also really loved the Philippines setting in this one... which made the story at a faster paced for me :).

I was hoping to have a bit more romance in this one but overall, super sweet story!!

4 stars

Maida
Heartfelt and personal. This made me miss the Philippines so much.

Full review at maidamalby.com on release date 3-3-2020
C.E. Hart
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to Tif Marcelos writing earlier this year by her wonderful story of the de la Rosa sisters in The Key to Happily Ever After! So, when I received an ARC copy of her newest book (Release date: March 3, 2020) I couldnt wait to begin reading!

Once Upon a Sunset is told from the perspectives of Margo and Diana. This dynamic mother daughter duo carries a complex yet dear authenticity. They reveal their strengths in nearly opposite ways, which causes a slight chasm in their
Amy Impellizzeri
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A richly drawn and poignant tale of finding yourself in unexpected places and connecting with the unlikeliest of allies.

Mother and daughter, Margo & Diana, could not be more different. But when life throws them a curve ball (or two!) they end up on a trip together to the Philippines to get to the bottom of a long-held family secret. It is in Manila that they find themselves asking the same questions for once: When is it time to take lifes biggest risks, and when is it time to let go?
Laura In  Literary Land
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable read! Once Upon A Sunset was the perfect book world to escape into. I really enjoyed the development of Margo and Diana as individuals and also as mother and daughter. They have a very authentic push and pull, attraction and annoyance, love and exasperation in their relationship. The mystery of what actually happened to their father/grandfather definitely captured my interest and I enjoyed discovering the truth along with the characters. Once Upon A Sunset is a delightful ...more
Susan Peterson
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was completely drawn into this poignant story of self-discovery, family secrets, forgiveness, and opening ones heart up to the possibility of happily ever after. I fell in love with each of the characters, won over by their candor, their vulnerability, their courage, and their accepting hearts. The setting of the Philippines, with its unique culture, language, and history, added another layer to this enthralling story. ...more
J.M. Powers
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thrilled to find out Tif Marcelo wrote a new book, Once Upon a Sunset. I first discovered this author when I read The Key to Happily Ever After and couldnt wait to receive her newest creation through Net Galley.

Once Upon a Sunset is a story surrounding a mother, (Margo), and her grown daughter (Diana). Their relationship is close, yet becomes strained when they accidently discover family secrets. They each deal with this in opposite ways. Margo and Diana disagree on how to handle this
Bronte-Elle
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon A Sunset
A few chapters in and I was hooked on the story and wanted to keep reading, this is a book where you're pulled into the "dark night of the soul".

"What would Leora do?"
That's what started it all and they ask themselves that question with hard decisions throughout the story.

It shows the perspective of Diana (daughter) and Margo (mother). How they view the same situations, how and why they react differently to it.

Older people still have dreams and a life to live. If you're 75
Orly Konig
A lovely, poignant story about family secrets, heartaches, forgiveness, and new beginnings.
Jeanne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After Diana has a tumultuous year with a bad breakup, home repairs and her mom moving in after carrying for her mother, Leora, and subsequent death and issue comes up at the hospital where she is an OB-GYN and she is forced to take a vacation. While her mom, Margo, is cleaning out Leora's home she finds letters from her father. Diana decides that now is a good time to go to the Philippines and find out what happened to her grandfather.

I thought it was a sweet story and I loved Margo. Diana
Rachel
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon a Sunset by Tif Marcelo is a wonderfully heartwarming novel about family, love, acceptance, forgiveness, and finding yourself. This book also is about how your past (or finding out your true past) doesnt define you.

Diana finds herself at a crossroads in her life when she is placed on leave from her job at a hospital in D.C. after a situation occurs while she is at work. With her job in question, her relationship ending, she and her mother, Margo, find letters from her grandfather,
Homerun2
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Cait
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
I liked. the idea of this much more than the execution. In my head I kept comparing it to Next Year in Havana, and sorry, but the Cleeton book was just so much better.
Miss W Book Reviews
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon a Sunset is a beautifully written story of a mother and daughter, Margo & Diana.
These two are as opposite as you can get. An unexpected trip to the Philippines sets the scene for a poignant story about family , their secrets, heartaches, heartaches and starting over and even when it is time to let go.

This story was well written with complex fleshed out characters.

Tif Marcelo is quickly becoming one of my go to authors for women's fiction.
nick
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it

3.5/5

A sweet story about family history. I wanted a bit more from the romance.

RTC
Christine Moore
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Diana is having a hard time with life. A breakup, her grandmother dying, and getting in trouble at work. While going through her grand mom things, Diana and her mother Margo find letters from her grandfather. Diana decides it is a good time to go to the Philippines and find out what happened to her grandfather. This was a heartwarming story of family. Diana and Margo have a troubled relationship like a lot of mother and daughters and I found it so very real.. I received an advanced readers copy ...more
Kristy Mauna
Once Upon a Sunset was everything I hoped it would be and more.

As a Filipino-American I've struggled with my identity my entire life and even more so as an adult. This made it easy for me to connect with Diana and Margo. After my father's passing I was reunited with the entire Filipino side of my family that I never knew existed. Although I grew up knowing some pieces of what it meant to be Filipino.. I never really KNEW how it felt until I met my father's family.

So as Diana and Margo chase
J.M. Powers
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to find out Tif Marcelo wrote a new book, Once Upon a Sunset. I first discovered this author when I read The Key to Happily Ever After, and couldnt wait to receive her newest creation through Net Galley.

« previous 1 3 next »
Tif believes in and writes about heart-eyes romance, the strength of families, and the endurance of friendship. A veteran Army Nurse with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and a Master of Public Administration, she is a craft enthusiast, food-lover and the occasional half-marathon runner. As a military spouse, she has moved nine times, and this adventure shows in some of her free-spirited ...more

• This Won't End Well