Start by marking “Uzumaki Deluxe: Spiral into Horror” as Want to Read:
Uzumaki Deluxe: Spiral into Horror

Uzumaki Deluxe: Spiral into Horror

In Kurouzu geschieht Seltsames: Ein Einwohner nach dem anderen dreht durch. Schuld daran scheinen die Spiralen zu sein... Kirie glaubt anfangs nicht an die düsteren Theorien ihres Freundes Shuichi, doch logische Erklärungen gibt es nicht. Der Horror zieht seine Kreise!
Published September 1st 2019 by Carlsen Verlag GmbH

To ask other readers questions about Uzumaki Deluxe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uzumaki Deluxe

Start your review of Uzumaki Deluxe: Spiral into Horror
Travis Riddle
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grisly imagery paired with a fascinating premise that I wish had more of a narrative thrust.

Junji Ito's horror manga Uzumaki certainly delivers on horrific concepts and imagery. Even in the first chapter you dive right into some pretty terrible stuff, which effectively sets the tone for the rest of the book and had me excited to uncover its secrets.

As the book went on, though, it felt more like a short story collection than one overarching narrative, despite following the same main character
Christopher
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Weird horror perfection. Masterpiece.
Joshua Joyce
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. The story was wholly unique and one of the most disturbing things I've ever read (witnessed) as a concept played out. I don't feel like explaining the plot here (even a spoiler-free one) but I must say, if you like horror, comics, or manga then you need to get on this book immediately. And what better time than now, seeing how Adult Swim is adapting a (hopefully) faithful anime for it, featuring the music of Colin Stetson (composer of the "Hereditary" score). It's ...more
Alex Klimkewicz
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weird visuals. Unique premise. Started off very strongly. Kind of spiraled out into drudgery towards the end. Why do Kirie and Shuichi stay in this small town cursed by spirals? Why does Kirie think it so strange that Shuichi suggest they leave after his parents die? Why does Kirie stick around after her hair is cursed by spirals? These are some things that took me out of the story. I think I would have preferred more of a rotating cast of characters rather than following these 2 the entire ...more
Justin Talaga
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightfully deranged and spooky. A truly compelling horror manga bubbling with haunting images and a fun lore all it’s own. Highly recommended October read in the weeks leading up to Halloween.
Lillith Lies
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A story about spirals... how scary could that be? Junji Ito once again crafts a horrifying and immersive story that will draw you in. The spiral is everywhere and it will consume your entire being. The incredible detail that Ito puts into his art makes for mesmerizing and horrifying images. The way bodies contort as they join with the spiral chills you to the bone. Uzumaki is worth the read but not for the faint of heart.
Anistyn Oxley
The book I finished was Spiral Into Horror. The author is Junji Ito. I read this book because I read the dissolving classroom, which is by him. I don't like reading that much, but his first book made me go out of my way to get a hard copy of one of his other books. So if you ever want a creepy horror book check out the author Junji Ito.

I would say I loved every second of this book but that would be a lie. It was so creepy. It sent chills down my spine. From the 2 books that I have seen of his,
E. Reyes
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First finished read of 2020! Read the whole series of UZUMAKI: SPIRAL INTO HORROR by Juni Ito, and I was very impressed and creeped the hell out. The story and the imagery are disturbing, scary, highly imaginative, and is what horror is all about. It's fascinating in the sense of how damn creepy it is. A small fogbound town on the coast of Japan is cursed by the spiral, and it starts showing up everywhere. Its definitely a spiral into horror.
typewriterdeluxe
I have two minds about Uzumaki, and I think my split feelings are fair because as a short story anthology (and especially as an anthology that ties everything together) it can't help being a mixed bag.

Junji Ito's detailed illustrations are both beautiful and nauseating. I still feel physically ill when I look at some of these panels even after all these years and re-readings, which speaks to his genius as a horror creator. His short story concepts are delightfully unique and he comes at horror
Jeff D'Elia
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow... this book is extremely disturbing on so many different levels it makes me never want to pick it back up again. If you're question to that statement is, "In a good way or bad way?" I honestly couldn't tell you. Where the book works is its extremely disturbing imagery and subject matter, the way the author builds tension and hits you with something so horrifying on the next page that you wish you never turned it, and how the book commits to such a wildly insane story and never pulls back ...more
Jess B
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read 5 Junji Ito stories this weekend. I felt like I saved the best for last unknowingly. This one was awful...ly good. I don't think I've said "WTF" more times while reading any graphic novel. The art really sold the stories. Even if the 'story' was slightly less exciting than the others, the 'art' elevated it. It was a lovely combination of body horror, dread, and panic against disturbing stories and horrifying drawings. I felt so uneasy the entire time. Then it ended... Once it ended I ...more
Ren Strange
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of story that has you saying "Jesus Christ" every chapter. This manga goes off the rails, but in the best way. My main complaint is how every guy becomes obsessed with the main character. In a world where spirals are evil, that was the most unrealistic part. Regardless, I'm glad I chose this as my first manga and can't wait to read more of Junji Ito's work.
Ian Zebarah Shears
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, manga
Body horror, cosmic horror, psychological horror, this series has it all. I could only read a chapter at a time for most of the book. It's a real unique experience and worth of the reputation. This is what manga, or even adult comics look like.
Fabio
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mi è piaciuto molto, ma alcune parti le ho trovate un po’ dispersive. È il primo racconto lungo che leggo di Junji Ito, e forse ho apprezzato di più le storie brevi.
Magdalena
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genious.
Joe Gleason
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ito's magnum opus. As a horror novel I think its perfection is shown by the fact that it transcends the closest descriptors that come to mind...Lovecraftian, but wholly different enough, more leery/eerie/unnerving that to call it that is inadequate.
Very good cosmic horror, but again, to just try to call it that is not enough.
The spiral motifs and overall atmosphere gives it a feel that you're looking at something beautiful in its organization, yet nonetheless deeply slimy in the best way
Kelly SmellyJellyBean
Jan 31, 2020 marked it as dnf-2019
Planning to reread // finish.
Greg Kerestan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The David Lynch of manga, Junji Ito squeezes blood from turnips by taking absolutely commonplace ideas and phenomena and making them as grotesque and genuinely nightmarish as possible. His three-volume horror series, in which the very concept of "spirals" becomes more and more overpowering until it takes over the physical and mental reality of a small Japanese town, starts as short stories but builds to a connected finish.

Anyone with a love of the surreal and uncanny side of horror should check
Esther
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Straight from the get-go, Uzumaki true to its title, reigns you by head to dive straight in to the heady world of spirals with all its phenomena, sublimely mesmerizing and hypnotizing in all forms of suspended absurdity, delightful wtf-surprises that keeps growing, accelerating, drawing and weaving you in for another level of madness. As the chapters ascends so do the curlywurly complex of spiraling madness.

In the afterword, Junji Ito shared his insights and brain mechanism that inspired this
Dylan Ross
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best kind of creepy and disturbing. As a fan of grotesque horror cinema, it takes a lot to shake me. Uzumaki shook me regularly.
Heather
this was even weirder than the movie
Ben Edwards
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Several stories and images in this collection will stay with me for years. Very interested to check out more Ito now.
Nicole Power
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
꩜꩜꩜꩜ ...more
David Mallory
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Uzumaki is, most likely, Ito's most popular work, and after reading it, I can see why. As I began to read it, I realized that I couldn't put it down, but at the same time, I felt such a spine-chilling sensation that continued throughout the entire book. The art and the stories are some of the most terrifying things I've ever laid eyes on. This is definitely a must-read for any fan of horror and body horror.

The only downside is that the last quarter of the book starts to feel like the same thing
Ammad Caesar
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent cosmic horror with no regard for making sense, which only adds to the tension and horror! Absolutely maddening J-horror
Eriky Kashivagui
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Uma estória de horror com várias analogias ou capitalismo voraz, quando o meio justifica o fim. Junji Ito traz uma visão caótica traduzindo o espírito da sociedade consumista em uma espiral misteriosa que corrompe e distroi as pessoas.
Broseidon
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story kicks off to an incredibly promising premise that slowly loses its magic as it unfolds. It's as if the best stories were hand-picked & told at the beginning. It become far less scary in the later chapters & some simply ridiculous.

It's worth noting that the book is divided into chapters, each has its own self-contained story but there is a bigger over-arching plot - although very lacking in substance - that welds the whole thing together.

It was still a very interesting read
Jon
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. I thought this was going to be a cliched horror fantasy and I was wrong. Deeply disturbing and visually impressive, my only complaint would be that it started to get a bit TOO episodic. That being said, I really loved it and found the art in particular to be really captivating.
I also enjoyed Ito’s framing in the end. Made this feel like a body horror version of The Twilight Zone.
Nigel
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Slowly slide down a long twisting curve into bizarre weirdness, body horror and a twisty apocalypse in a remote town infected by spirals. It's utterly horrifying. Oh my God. So wildly horrifying, on a level that is nothing short of visionary. Twisted genius.
Hannah
bizarre and twisty (spiral-y?) and lots of fun in a gory creepy junji ito way. I felt fond of the two main characters even though they didn't have a whole ton of chemistry or development. the ending was odd but fitting. definitely looking forward to reading more!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Akira, Vol. 3
  • Akira, Vol. 1
  • Toradora! Vol. 4
  • The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-2)
  • Toradora! Vol. 2
  • Toradora! Vol. 3
  • Akira, Vol. 2
  • テンカウント 6 [Ten Count 6]
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • グライネリエ 1 [Graineliers 1]
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 3
  • Mitz: The Marmoset of Bloomsbury
  • A Time It Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 4
  • Alias, Vol. 1
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 6
  • Court of Shadows (House of Furies, #2)
  • Akira, Vol. 4
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner ...more