Start by marking “Jackson” as Want to Read:
Jackson

Jackson

Jody Luther is a 15 year-old white girl battling insanity at home and hate-filled 1970 Jackson, Mississippi leading to the Jackson State Massacre.

Review by Jackson Free Press:

‘Jackson’ Regales a Laborious, History-Packed Tale

Cindy Marabito's novel "Jackson" focuses on dark times in Mississippi.
By Carlton McGrone

Despite the leaps of progress in our capital city, its less-t
Published September 4th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Jackson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackson

Start your review of Jackson
Pam Carmichael
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rural-noir
It is a great book, very sad and hard to read. I am so sorry I just can't post more, my sister, my only sister at 47 took her life Sunday night so this is pretty hard for me to do. As I said good book and you do learn so much, thanks my goodreads friends, sorry but I will try to be better as soon as I can, God Bless you all
Cindy Marabito
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Have you ever heard of the Jackson State Massacre? It happened 11 days after Kent State. Jackson is the story of events leading up to the Jackson State Massacre in which two black students were murdered by an army of armed police. The story is told by a fifteen year-old white girl, Jody Luther, who's battling the insanity in her own home and in the mean streets of a hate-filled town.
InD'tale Magazine
Told entirely from the first-person perspective, Jackson is a somewhat triggering and emotional read.

Read full review in the 2019 December issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Martha Kate
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly painful book about a painful time in personal and national history. Although it could have been a quick read, I was forced to set the book aside several times to reflect on Marabito's message and to research some of the events she narrates. I wish we had progressed farther than we have in the nearly 50 years since the Jackson State massacre.
Pamela L.
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner! You’ll laugh, cry, and get really angry. I loved it ❤️
Gerardo
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to exist in another time and place for a week, and be in that reader’s heaven that comes from a good book? That’s Jackson. It’s like Disney created a ride for grown ups and thoughtful teens that takes you past Atticus Finch and Eudora Welty all in the same ride. “Look, there’s Harper Lee in her rose garden.” Seriously, a great book that will leave searching for the sequel.
Abbie Joiner
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book from start to finish. DEFINITELY A MUST READ!
Roxanne Lopez
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It’s about a family battling addiction and a young girl struggling to keep that family together during the civil rights movement in 1970 which adds another layer of turmoil to this already painful story. Being an east Texas girl myself, I feel the characters were authentic and Ms. Marabito nailed the vernacular and attitudes of this era. It’s not all sad. The love of family and friendship is revealed and shines through. I hope there is a sequel. I would like to know more about ...more
Jill
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Very emotional and I loved the details. I won this book on Goodreads and have already passed the book on to my sister. It's a must read.
Judy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-books
This book deserves every star and every positive review that I can possibly give. I was captivated from the first sentence and the intense journey continued until the last word. As I deeply related to the story, it both surfaced a combination of pain, hope, frustration, fear, and the determination to learn from the injustice I witnessed throughout this chapter in our country's history. I identified with Jody Luther in many areas but it made it especially vivid to see this world through the eyes ...more
Lindsey
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book definitely has the potential for a 4 star rating. Great characters and story, just really needs an editor. Or at least someone to give a quick once over.
LisaMarie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about the south!
Sylvia Nunez
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life -affirming and profound.
*Thank you for my free Goodreads copy *
Debbie
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. I started reading the book thinking it was going to be about a mother being taking out of the Jackson mental hospital in Louisiana. She was indeed taken from the hospital and had some major mental problems but the book was about a mother and her daughters in Jackson, Mississippi during the school desegregation.

Jody Luther is a 15 years old. She is in high school, has a job, takes care of her younger sister and deals with her mentally ill mother. If that is not enough it was
Jolene Tiffany Amber
When i first found out i wouls be recieving a copy of this book i had no idea what i was going to be reading. So i looked into it a little bit. I didnt know anything about the Jackson State Massacre then.
When i first started reading it i didnt really know what i was getting myself into. There a so many injustices that happened. Families and communities that were destroyed.
This book broke my heart a few times. I found myslef unable to put it down once i really got into it. Thank you Cindy for s
Elizabeth Campbell
i won this book as a goodreads giveaway. eh.. what to say about this book. i really would've given it a 2.5 rating if i could've. it was just riddled with typos including a youtube link thrown in randomly, misplaced quotation marks, and a chapter that ended in the middle of a word.

the story itself was just ok, so much exposition. it started out really strong and then just nothing happened for 200 pages and i honestly would've quit reading if it wasn't a book i won and felt obligated to finish.
Chelsea
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very fortunate to receive this book through the goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed reading Jackson and found myself connected and routing for Jody throughout the entire book. Cindy included various perspectives and important issues in this book which i believe should be shared with a larger audience.
Pam Carmichael
Still reading it and it is great so far!!!!
Ann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to finish. Characters were not well developed and the plot of the story did little to encourage turning the page.
I say don't waste your time
Judy
Dec 03, 2019
Debbie
Jul 08, 2020

• Heart Like a Bear
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • Joe Biden: A Life of Trial and Redemption
  • The Water Cure
  • Bright Side Of The Road: A Spiritual Journey Through Breast Cancer
  • Women Talking
  • A Wing And A Prayer
  • The Divine Talisman (The Legend of Asahiel, #3)
  • The Obsidian Key (The Legend of Asahiel, #2)
Cindy Marabito is a longtime writer and author of Pit Bull Nation, Jackson and Jules, the Truth Finder. She directed and produced the movie The Dicks From Texas about the punk rock hardcore Austin, TX band along with a double covers cd featuring great Dicks songs covered by great bands, The Dicks From Texas and Friends. Cindy is the creator of Cowbells and Ding Dongs, a podcast with its big toe ne ...more

News & Interviews