Start by marking “I Hope You Stay” as Want to Read:
I Hope You Stay

I Hope You Stay

In the spirit of her bestselling series, Pillow Thoughts, Courtney Peppernell returns with a new, empowering collection of poetry and prose. From heartbreak to dreaming of and finding a new love to healing the heart to ultimately finding peace, the themes in this book are universal but also uniquely individual to readers.

Just as moving and endearing as Peppernell's previou
Published March 3rd 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hope You Stay

Start your review of I Hope You Stay
lu ☾
Jan 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Well, I didn't enjoy this at all. This style of modern poetry has never really been my thing, even though I get the appeal, but this collection in particular felt plainly dull and unsubstantial. It has a hopeful message, focusing on the process of healing after going through a break up, but it sort of felt like reading random inspirational quotes on pinterest (and not very good ones, at that).

If there's something I love about poetry, is how it lets you experiment with words, get as creative as y
K. Elizabeth
Didn't know how much I needed to read this. ...more
Emma
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it

One day, you will find a home, and it won't be a place,
it will be a person. And you will be loved in spite of
all the baggage and boxes you bring with you.

This poetry collection can be described as having a very hopeful message. The author guides us through the path that people have to go through after a painful break up. In the moments when everything seems lost, we must not forget that there's al
Sara Dahabović
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hello my new favorite read! What a great read to start 2020 with, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

If I can describe this group of poems in one word it would be a "Friend", those poems were so kind, empowering and above all they were genuine and honest, after all Courtney started the poems with "You Will Ache".

And for all Netgalley users, this is available for download at the moment :)

Alexis

I really liked how the poems were sectioned:
You will ache

You
Sarah Marie
I Hope You Stay by Courtney Peppernell

1 star

Poetry is not often something I completely loathe, but this collection was one of the worst forms of “poetry” I have read. I am saddened to say that. I don’t like giving out 1-star ratings and I usually do anything I can do abstain from doing so, but the only thought going through my head while reading each and every page of I Hope You Stay was how much I hated the poems. The poems are short and consist of random thoughts or what I like to call inspira

Chesca (thecrownedpages)
Mar 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, poetry
An ARC was provided by Andrews McMeel Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

DNF @ 40%

I Hope You Stay is generously vulnerable and empathetic through its poems, but its bland writing failed to project well the beauty it could've been.

I got a review copy of this book because of the adorable cover and its title that gleamed with ache and longing. These two things made me wonder how they related to each other and the book's content.

The writing was straight forward but very shabby, as if
Stacey
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another great book ♡ I do feel bad not feeling the 5 star vibes, but truly these books are losing a bit with the rate they are being pushed out. I used to love how I could really feel the words, each page begged to be read slowly, savored. These newer ones I enjoy, I get great pleasure and do plan to read again, but I do not feel as if the impact is as strong.

My absolute least favorite thought in this book has been

"You need to be lost, to be on uneven ground. So, you learn, and you grow. When
Darlene I read WAY to many books
I really gotta stop reading poetry books in the target section 🤣🤣🤣

One good poem = me buying this book lol

Yeah this was meh it had maybe one or 3 I enjoyed.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Aug 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Simply repetitive. It explores of love, breakups, yearning and healing. While I enjoy those topics, the poems in this book lacked the emotion.
Sara Jovanovic
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was hoping that this collection will be better than it actually was, but in the end, I'm slightly dissapointed. I've enjoyed Courtney's Pillow Thoughts series, so I really wanted to like this too, and yet I didn't. Even though I liked the overall message about hope and healing, none of the writing pieces resonated with me and I'm entirely indifferent about everything I've read. I think I will still be checking out Courtney's new releases, but ultimately this was a waste of time.

Thanks to the N
Alisa
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I Hope You Stay is a new collection of poetry by one of my favorite authors, Courtney Peppernell. So when I saw it available on Netgalley I jumped at the chance to read it. I may have also squealed a little.
This new collection is centered around breaking up with someone and the long path to healing and moving on. The majority of poems were very beautiful but there were also quite a few mediocre ones,unfortunately. I loved her previous series, Pillow Thoughts, way better, but that could be due t
Natalie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is a beautiful book of poems that were relateable and felt like they were being spoken to me in confidance and receiving advice from a dear friend.
This is a lovely book that touches your heart. Thank you for such a beautiful book of poems!
Audrey
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-thank-you, 2020, arc, poetry
*1.5 stars*
Unfortunately, I didn't love this. I was expecting more of a traditional poetry style, and this did not meet those expectations. It didn't even really seem to fit the trend of more modern poetry. Instead, it was more random and hopeful paragraphs, some rhyming, some just simple. In short, it didn't feel like poetry at all, and the words weren't particularly inspiring to me. I don't doubt that they would be incredibly important to some people, but they just missed the mark. It felt mo
Samantha
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

I Hope You Stay is an enjoyable poetry collection that takes us through the pain of heartbreak to the joy of new love. With it's message of hope, I think this collection would be an enjoyment for anyone, no matter what phase of the love cycle they're currently in.

The style is modern poetry and the layout is beautiful. It is divided into 5 sections, eac
Cynthia
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
it’s strange to read a book and realize that it might’ve helped me 5 years ago, but reading it today felt like reading a collection of generic inspirational quotes. I’m not really great at judging poetry/prose, the only thing I take into account is whether they make me feel something. a few of these pages did, and the rest didn’t really get through to me. I appreciated the hopeful message and I know that there are people who need to hear these words - maybe I just outgrew them already.
Danielle Russell
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I am typically not a big fan of poetry, but this book was quite enjoyable. It is divided into 5 sections -- you will ache, you will dream, you will love, you will heal, and you will rise. The poems are a mix between free verse and short form, and carry an uplifting theme that reminds readers that no matter how hard life gets, they are not alone.

Thank you to Netgalley for an electronic copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Erin Rogoff
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with depression, people who are getting over a breakup
Shelves: 2021-books
I normally read poetry when I'm feeling sad. That time is now, so another stunning book by Courtney Peppernell goes to the top of my to-read list. I wasn't disappointed; this book was exactly what I was looking for, and I read it in one sitting. It's beautiful, vivid, sad, and uplifting. Thank you, Courtney Peppernell, for lifting my spirits when I'm sad! ...more
Anoeska Nossol
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

3.5 out of 5 stars

'I hope you stay' is a collection of LGBTQ+ poems about love, but also about life and body positivity. To be honest, the love poems are for anybody. The author talks about a 'she', and she is a female herself. However, I'm sure there are men out there who feel the same. Which makes this poetry book so unique and fun. I always loved her work because of the different interpretations.
What I liked the most about this one, is the fact that you start a
Delirious Disquisitions
Oct 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
DNF 50%. I don't understand how cliche lines with neither rhyme or rhythm, nor any substantial meaning beyond the literal constitutes poetry. This was beyond terrible. The metaphors somehow made it worse. ...more
Taylor Knight
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read Pillow Thoughts when it was first released and I really loved it. It was one of my favorite poetry books I'd read in a long time. I was really excited to pick up another book from Courtney Peppernell and while I really enjoyed this book as well, I didn't love it as much as I expected. There's so many beautiful poems in I Hope You Stay and I especially love the overall story it tells, but I felt like there was quite a few poems that didn't match the quality of others, which was a little di ...more
Gemma F
Feb 4, 2020:

Full Review now on my blog: https://wp.me/p6917X-1j4

Jan 29, 2020

A empowering poetry book filled with different parts of life and what we can do to overcome our fears and rise again stronger and renewed! I loved how it ended on a powerful and positive note that we can rise and change how we see ourselves as a whole!

Special thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this eARC!
Kai Van
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
3.5/5☆~

Overall I enjoyed this collection! I'm a fan of modern poetry and the short formatting of pieces. I did feel like a few of the pieces in this collection could've been together as one instead of on their own pages, lengthening the book length. But still, I can see why Peppernell is a popular modern poet! Will be picking up her other works in the future for sure.
Bex
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews, poetry, arc-s
Otter illustrations: 5 stars.
Poems: 2 stars.

I've read quite a few of Courtney Peppernell's collections of modern poetry now and I either love them or they completely miss the mark for me. I definitely think that the collections are designed to be read at the right time. which potentially is part of the problem for me, because this book is entirely about healing after break-ups and finding some encouragement following that. If I needed that, I think I'd probably be really happy I'd read this co
Christine Picard
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poésie, anglais
To be honest, this is not my favorite book by Courtney Peppernell. BUT, I really liked the first half of it. It was intimate and very nice to read. As a whole, I enjoyed most of it, even though i think i would have prefered something a little less "spilled thoughts" and more "poetry-like" (if that makes sense). I liked that the book was separated in sections, and really liked the otter illustrations. But that's it. ...more
Chelsea
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
i'm not a poetry reader. but this? oh i felt this. ...more
Giulia
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
First thing first, thank you very much to Netgalley for sending me a e-ARC of this book.

After having read and adored Pillow Thoughts (mainly the first installment), I've kept my eyes peeled for any new releases from Courtney Peppernell. So as soon as I saw this title available on NetGalley, I jumped on the occasion like a jaguar.
And I can happily say that I was not entirely disappointed.

If I have to be honest, nothing compares to the beauty and the inspiring magic that Pillow Thoughts was, and
Hirdesh
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
Thanks netgalley and respective publishers for sending me a copy.

It was a noteworthy book. I found it similar to a journal about his love life. I recommend it for beginners for poetry to read and to write. I didn't found myself much convinced.
Annette Jordan
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
" Take your time, but do take the first step"
This is the key message of Courtney Peppernell's latest collection which looks at recovering from the breakup of a relationship. As there always is with her books, there is a raw honesty to her words, and so they are easy to relate to. She embraces the dark days and the moments of hope and through her words encourages the reader to strive for more, to take that first step, because what is out there is worth taking that risk for.
"You are in control of
irene
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
2.3/5 I cried at the beginning, but the rest was meh/kinda repetitive/not powerful nor resilient (even though it was its intention).

the stuff that made me cry:

I hold all this blame
about how badly
things between us ended

I dream so vividly
of our conversations
late at night

But despite all the reason
I shouldn’t think of you
I still do

It was just bad timing
I told myself
But bad timing happened
time and time again
And after all the pain
maybe it wasn’t the timing
maybe we were just two people
bad for each
Beatriz
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

"I Hope You Stay" is a poetry book written by Courtney Peppernell. I've had my eye on her for a long time and this was a great opportunity to try one of her books. This poetry collection is mostly about healing, growth and self-love. It shows us that it's okay to step away from people in order to heal and become aware that you are enough and that you matter. I totally recomme
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• a fire like you
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Nineteen
  • Let the Great World Spin
  • Moon of the Crusted Snow
  • letters to the person i was
  • Home Body
  • We Hope This Reaches You in Time
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • Party Girls
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Migraine Diet: A Ketogenic Meal Plan for Headache Relief
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Vaccines, Autoimmunity, and the Changing Nature of Childhood Illness
  • Falling Toward the Moon
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
Courtney Peppernell is a best-selling LGBTQ author from Sydney, Australia. Courtney has been writing her whole life and focuses on Young Adult novels and Poetry Collections.

News & Interviews

“You never need to get an apology to someone who didn't want your heart as much as your body.” 4 likes
“She is scared to love again, because people change their minds. She is scared to love again, because people leave with no answers, and she is sick of thinking it's because of her.” 3 likes