Start by marking “The Stairway to Heaven (The Earth Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Stairway to Heaven (The Earth Chronicles, #2)

The Stairway to Heaven (Earth Chronicles #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Since earliest times, humanity has pondered the incomprehensible mysteries of the universe, life...and the afterlife. Was there somewhere on Earth where, after death, mortal man could join the immortal Gods? Where was this place? By whom was it established? And does it still exist today?

After years of painstaking research -- combining recent archaeological discoveries with
Published May 1st 1999 by Harper (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Stairway to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stairway to Heaven

John Herceg
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The Stairway to Heaven" is Zecharia Sitchin's follow-up to "The Twelfth Planet." Though a few chapters are difficult to read through, mostly because they are packed with data and facts rather than eloquent storytelling, this book is just as illuminating as its predecessor. Having previously established the main idea of an extraterrestrial species cultivating human society and technology on Earth, Sitchin is free to delve into specifics such as the origin of the Egyptian pyramids and their purpo ...more
Joel Allen
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Great read for a person with an open mind, very mythic and imaginative theories.
Steve Cran
The quest for immortality is a quest that has dominated the mid of man since time immemorial. Ponce De Leon searched in vain for it. He heard legend of it from the local natives. His search covered almost all of the islands and even part of Florida but he never found it.

In the Koran there is legend of Moses meeting a servant and being told to follow an underground river so as to meet his spirit guide. He is is given a dead fish and is told that when the fish jumps to life he is to follow that fi
Jessi
I am giving The Stairway to Heaven 3.5 stars because while I enjoyed the hypothesis put out there by Sitchin I felt that the book was unnecessarily dragging on. There were some interesting points that were made especially on why mankind especially in the ancient world really looked for immortality but at the same time I felt that the author was adding details that were not needed.

(view spoiler)
Tee Jay
Apr 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
I rarely stop reading a book half-way through, but this is exactly what I have done with The Stairway to Heaven. This book is almost impossible to read, as the author grabs everything he can think of to support his thesis. This makes The Stairway to Heaven well nigh impossible to follow.

Here is an apt summation of how the book reads:

There was an inscription with a man walking, and floating in the sky was a circular object. Therefore it is incontrovertible that beings from another planet and vis
Aaron Meyer
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This book continues with mainly the post deluge occupation by the "gods". If you can Wade through the first part of the book it starts to get a bit more interesting once it starts talking about Egypt. He does give an interesting analysis of the Exodus route and how it ties in to the holy places. Also his chapters on the fraud perpetrated upon the great pyramids is very interesting though at times it seemed like it went on for to long. One of greatest faults was the fact that the information whic ...more
Steve Werner
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know there are problems with some of Sitchen's work, but he was a pioneer in this field, and these books are very fascinating. He can jump to conclusions too quickly, and some his translations of Sumerian texts seem a bit shoehorned into his own pre-existing theories (a lot like orthodox researchers!), we need this kind of outlandish imagination. One can be incorrect about something from being to credulous, but one can just as easily be incorrect from being too skeptical.
Kathy
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Zecharia interprets ancient Sumerian and Akkadian clay tablets - certainly makes you think about where we may have truly originated from, Leaves you with so many questions! The book 2 in the Earth Chronicles. Even though I question his ideas, I certainly do not deny that they could be true.
Marc
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Krish Webb
When I read The 12th Planet, it became my bible. It was the start to the answers I've always seeked. Sitchin's 2nd book in the Earth Chronicles did not let up. It only engaged me further and strengthened my ideas. Love it!!!!
Doris Pearson
Mar 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I try to read these books with an open mind. I can't say if Sitchin is correct or not in his theories, but I can say that he breathes life into an ancient world I would otherwise know very little about, and he tells a fascinating story in a very interesting way.
Chris
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
You don't realize how similar different ancient beliefs are ex) Egyptian and Greek... he deals with a lot from these two cultures in this book.
David Mckay
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: earth-chronicles
Didnt keep as interested as the 1st book did.
david kuhl
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Awesome makes much sense and connects the dots with many ancient oddities can't wait to read the next book in this series
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Erik Graff
Jan 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Erik by: John Rhodes
Shelves: religion
This is the second volume of Sitchin's incredible Earth Chronicles, a series which purports to prove that we were created by extraterrestrials from an eccentric planet in this solar system who are evidenced in ancient religious traditions. Unlike his predecessor, Velikovsky, Sitchin is not out to prove the facticity of the bible. It's more the other way around: the Hebrew scriptures as well as those of ancient Sumer (the oldest) etc. prove his thesis.

An impressive amount of work went into Sitchi
Keldin
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The last one-third of the book is pretty great, but the first two-thirds lack proper context or motivation. Many readers describe the book as "dense". I wouldn't call it that, but I think that when topics don't seem to go together, it's easy to mistake a book as such. Anyway, the final chapters do tie everything together, making me kind of want revisit the first parts, as well as start the third book in the series.

Even if you don't buy the ancient astronauts theory, there's plenty of material co
Antonio
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Zecharia Sitchin reuniu descobertas arqueológicas recentes, textos e objetos antigos para apresentar nesta obra conclusões surpreendentes sobre as pirâmides, a esfinge e outros monumentos misteriosos cujo verdadeiro significado estava oculto há séculos.

Julie S.
Feb 20, 2011 marked it as own-unsorted
Shelves: own
So this is the second in a series. I probably should track down the first one before reading this one.
Rita AlTaji
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A very difficult reading, loved it, but it's more like a reference than a book to enjoy.
Rachella Pruitt
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I need to study more ancient history to keep up with all the names and references.
Thom
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as much mind boggling stuff as the first one but still good.
Yas
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed full of interesting ideas but unfortunately it repeated a lot of the information from the first in the series.
John
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting. Amazing commentary on ancient texts.
Stacey
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, history, read-in-11
A creative way of interpreting the past. Too many details however, while they attest to the author's research, slow the book down.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Significantly more academic and dry than the previous book, but still worth reading.
Adam Madvibe
book 2 .....
Ceará
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
It opened a lot of theories and ideas because of its provoking questions. this book explains it well :)
Andrea
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Re-read in self-forced study.
Gateway2thegods
awesome the best book
Darthwells
A little weak on the support, but very eye opening
  • Gods of Eden
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Witnessed: The True Story of the Brooklyn Bridge UFO Abductions
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
  • Transformation: The Breakthrough
Sitchin was born in Baku, Azerbaijan, and was raised in Palestine. He acquired some knowledge of modern and ancient Hebrew, other Semitic and European languages, the Torah, and the history and archeology of the Near East.

Sitchin graduated from the London School of Economics, University of London, majoring in economic history.

A journalist and editor in Israel for many years, he now lives and writ
More about Zecharia Sitchin...

Earth Chronicles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The 12th Planet (Earth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wars of Gods and Men (Earth Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lost Realms (Earth Chronicles, #4)
  • Genesis Revisited (Earth Chronicles, #4.5)
  • When Time Began (Earth Chronicles, #5)
  • Divine Encounters (Earth Chronicles #5.5)
  • The Cosmic Code (Earth Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lost Book of Enki (Earth Chronicles #6.25)
  • The Earth Chronicles Expeditions  (Earth Chronicles Expeditions, #1)
  • The End of Days (The Earth Chronicles, #7)

“The location of this entryway was forgotten in the following centuries, and when the Moslem caliph AI Mamoon attempted to enter the pyramid in 820 A.D., he employed an army of masons, blacksmiths and engineers to pierce the stones and tunnel his way into the pyramid's core. What prompted him was both a scientific quest and a lust for treasure; for he was apprised of ancient legends that the pyramid contained a secret chamber wherein celestial maps and terrestrial spheres, as well as "weapons which do not rust" and "glass which can be bent without breaking" were hidden away in past ages.” 0 likes
“Let it be clarified here that neither the Akkadians nor the Sumerians had called these visitors to Earth gods. It is through later paganism that the notion of divine beings or gods has filtered into our language and thinking. When we employ the term here, it is only because of its general acceptance and usage that we do so.” 0 likes