Start by marking “Swamp Thing: Twin Branches” as Want to Read:
Swamp Thing: Twin Branches

Swamp Thing: Twin Branches

Twins Alec and Walker Holland have a reputation around town. One is quiet and the other is the life of any party, but they are inseparable. For their last summer before college, the two leave the city to live with their rural cousins, where they find that the swamp holds far darker depths than they could have imagined.

While Walker carves their names into the new social sc
Published October 13th 2020 by DC Comics

Start your review of Swamp Thing: Twin Branches
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Writing this in complete and actual secrecy was strange and unusual.

HEY HO release date and interior art photos: https://www.hypable.com/swamp-thing-t...
Miranda Reads
description
description

New Month, New Tierlist BookTube Video is up - click the link to check out my August Reading Vlog!
The Written Review

Twin brothers - Alec and Walker Holland - are as opposite as they can be. One loves to party and the other loves the quiet life of botany.

But their last summer before college is about to be uprooted in the worst way.

They discover their father has been cheating on their mother and with barely time to catch their breath, they are shipped off to their country cousin
C.G. Drews
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is so gorgeous and weird and creepy all at once. Aka, the perfect type of graphic novel that absolutely appeals to me in every way. I wanted to read this because of Maggie Stiefvater (one of my favourite authors!!) so I don't actually know anything about Swamp Thing in the DC universe. I went in completely new to it, basically. And loved it!!

the story
at its heart, it's about two brothers. Twins. Alec is the nerdy antisocial boy who is obsessed with his plant-based experiments and hides from
Lauren Lanz
I've always said I'll read anything Maggie Stiefvater writes, and a graphic novel from her was a pleasant surprise. Swamp Thing was a strange and intriguing tale in all the best ways.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Twin brothers Alec and Walker couldn't be more different. Alec is introverted with a love for studying plants, and Walker is the life of any party. Despite their differences, the brothers are inseparable, and in their last year of college they leave to live with their cousins.
Ale
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I knew this wasn’t going to be like the original Swamp Thing (I love the old school movie and own it btw) just from the synopsis and it being ya. But I loved it. The artwork was awesome for me. The storyline was great, I mean I would have liked to see him look more like the original Swamp Thing, but it’s all good 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
All I've got to say is that I need more of this type of story from Maggie! The color scheme, artistry, and layout of this graphic novel is incredible, and the story was fascinating and complex. Honestly, I could have gone for another 100 pages of Swamp Thing: Twin Branches, as I wasn't ready to part with these characters and the unique agricultural world the author created. I'm usually more of a Marvel girl, but the publication of more DC stories like this one might win me over full time.

*Many
Chad
Sep 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
The best part about this book is its striking cover. It's a YA graphic novel based on a super hero where nothing happens and Swamp Thing doesn't even appear until the last 10 pages of this 200 page book. If your idea of exciting graphic novels is to listen to the main character drone on and on about plants, then this is the book for you. It's awful. I know Stiefvater is a big-time YA author, but if this is any indication, she should stick to prose. Morgan Beem's art looks indieish and amateurish ...more
jv poore
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
There have been innumerable iterations of DC Comics’ super-hero, the Swamp Thing. The monster that most resembles a mobile mound of plant matter first appeared in a comic book the summer of 1971. Inspiring films, television shows, an animated series and even participating in a Public Service Announcement; he generally fought to protect his Louisiana swamp lands, the environment as a whole, with hope for humanity.

Ms. Stiefvater’s graphic-novel, Swamp Thing: Twin Branches, illustrated by Morgan Be
Mara YA Mood Reader
Stiefvater: Surprise! My new Swamp Thing comic releases in October 2020

Me: *gasp* What a perfect year to get into graphic novels 😱 like omg I’ll read anything you write *hair flip*
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This one is fairly easy to read. Too easy to read fast for a graphic novel.

The cover art is pretty well done. Well....I wish I could say the same for the actual content. No, I feel like the artists are different.

The art could have been much better regarding the sequencing and the dialogue presentation. Even the expressions turned out to be really tiring and half baked.

Plot wise. There's nothing much to it.

I wish the characters were better represented and yes, I wish character development was t
Teal
DNF at ~50%

It's entirely possible the problem is with me, not the book, but somehow the text and the illustrations aren't coming together into a coherent story. The time jumps aren't helping, either. Plus, a couple of major secondary characters are so repellent that I'm not eager to spend any more time in their company. I find the art appealing, but that's not enough to keep me going. YMMV.
Kadi P
Art? Horrifyingly ugly.
Storyline? So bare it's non-existent.
Characters? Flat and 2D.
Cares I give? None. Absolutely. None.
...
WHAT THE HELL WAS THE ENDING.... WHAT ON EARTH WAS THAT?!?!?! The levels of stupidity are so high they're touching clouds. This is just dumb. Throw it away. Don't waste your money on this.
A major major no from me.
Devin Willson
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
well that was fun.
gorgeous art, well constructed story, interesting characters - for a fairly short graphic novel i think it was excellent? there obviously wasn't the length for completely fleshed out plot and characters, but it definitely did the best it could with the pages it had.

my only complaint lies with the ending. it felt kind of rushed and a bit unsatisfying... i don't know what else should have happened? but it just felt... pretty abrupt -shrugs-

overall, i loved it 🖤

----

pre-release th
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

I just want to preface this review by saying I do not normally read Graphic Novels and so I don’t have a lot of background to judge them.  I am however, a huge fan of Maggie Steifvater and love her writing.  Swamp Thing: Twin Branches is an origin story and tells the tale of twins who ended up on very different paths.

The
Abigail McAlister
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was so incredibly disappointing.

I was excited to read this for a number of reasons; I loved the concept, I enjoy Maggie's writing and the main character had diabetes! I was diagnosed with type one diabetes in 2016 and this was the first book I've seen other than the Babysitters Club to have a diabetic character. And he was the main character! I was looking forward to reading it, especially since it was written by one of my favorite authors. But wow I feel so let down.
This was a terrible r
Emma
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.75/5 Stars

Before this graphic novel I was completely unaware of anything related to the Swamp Thing DC world, but I'm so glad I got the chance to discover such an interesting and unique story. As you may guess, I requested it because of Maggie Stiefvater whose writing I adore. I could totally see her touch in this story and I really enjoyed this aspect. The illustrations were great, especially h
— nova
Jun 24, 2019 marked it as priority-tbr
Um, what. My favorite author + my favorite comic book universe??? Gimme.
Erica ♋️✨📖
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
I picked this graphic novel up at Barnes and noble because it was by Maggie stiefvater and the cover is gorgeous. I had no idea what this was about and let me say i am honestly really surprised on how much i actually enjoyed this. It’s definitely a unique story and the art work was honestly my favorite i loved how the green just pops and the writing of course was beautiful because it’s Maggie Stiefvater. if your looking for a quick graphic novel i would recommend this.
Ashley

I received a free copy for honest review from the publisher. Thank you DC Comics for giving me the chance to read this one early.
This was weird. I am probably at a disadvantage because I know next to nothing about Swamp Thing. I don't know the backstory, the current story, nothing. I really didn't know what I was going into.
So this story has twins, Alec and Walker Holland, who are sent to stay with their aunt and cousins for the summer. Walker is Mr. Popular, he can make friends anywhere. He li
Lea | That_Bookdragon
3/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to DC Comics for providing me with a free e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion!

This graphic novel is so weird and creepy, perfect for spooky season! The art style also adds to the creepy aspect of the book with its vibrant colors. This was quite entertaining even if I thought it would take a different direction.

My Bookstagram
James DeSantis
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this was fine. Kind of surprised some people so harsh on it.

As a Swamp Thing book it's not really much about him. He's there in the overall presence but doesn't make his grand entrance till the end. Instead it's about the Holland brothers story of living their teenage life trying to be who they are. And it's kind of cool to see the comparison of people to plants and how we live and bloom similar to certain flowers.

This is a YA story if I ever read one. Kids being dicks, kids falling in
Hamad
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

I did not know there was a Superhero named Swamp Thing by DC. I was excited to get to know him through a comic book and it is written by Stiefvater! I think Stiefvater's endings don't work for me, the books always seem trying too hard to sound deep and complicated but simplicity would have been a better thing here.

The story here is about two twins and it is the origin story of Swamp Thing, I think the story here was not new, I have seen the different twins trope in TV ser
Hilda
Death? Sleep? It's not always easy to tell which one you're looking at when plants are involved.

*I've never seen or read anything related to the Swamp Thing. This is my first.

I liked the cover and some of the story. But I can't help to dislike all the bullying and constant abuse towards Alec Holland because he is different. And even though Walker, the other twin, keeps saying "The Incredible Holland Bros forever!" I can't help but feel like that statement and this story was the complete opposit
Renata
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Listen the moment I arrived at the page where Alec looks out to see his glucose level and there's a diabetes sensor? I knew I had to keep reading and just love it. My little sister has diabetes type 1 and you never see mentions about diabetes or any type of illness if it's not too bad, and I really appreciated it. Like really, thank you.

Beside that point, I think this was about imagination and recreate what you just imagined it'll happen, I don't think there's a better way to put it
Cassie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I... don’t know how to feel about this. I expected this to be a story about the characters finding Swamp Thing and figuring out what to do with it.

But, this.... was nothing like that. It was essentially about two twin brothers and their life. How they deal with being so different from one another, bullying, trying to fit in, etc etc. Typical teenage things. So, because of that, I’m disappointed.

It also kept flipping back and forth at times, which was fine, but sometimes it didn’t tell you when
Rod Brown
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I find that plants can be rather terrifying if you get into the science of how they move, communicate, and regenerate. This book opens with some of that, setting me up for some organic horror, but then the author just fritters that potential away in this YA reboot with lots and lots of pointless teen angst.

Alec and Walker Holland are twin brothers on vacation with cousins in Virginia the summer before starting college. Walker's the outgoing and popular one. Alec is the intellectual obsessed with
Dark River
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to start by saying that I am both a big fan of Maggie Stiefvater and of DC, and seeing both come together in Swamp Thing like this was equally unexpected and fantastic.

At first I thought the art style wouldn't be for me, but I was wrong. 10 pages or so in, and I fell in love with Morgan Beem's work as well. Especially the color palette that was chosen for this graphic novel. It is STELLAR! So bright, downright trippy at times - it perfectly underlines the whimsical atmosphere of the stor
Amber J
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
So that was interesting. I learned a lot about plants. That's really all I can say about this. Now, this is my first introduction to Swamp Thing. I just want to make it clear that I know nothing from any other story, book, movie, comic, or otherwise. This is about a twin boy who is mostly an introvert who loves plants. You learn new things about plants. He's also diabetic but I'm not sure how much that really played into this story.

In the end, it wasn't bad. I guess I just don't get it really.
Jessica
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Creepy and crazy origin story of the titular Swamp Thing. Loved the characters, was really, really freaked out by some of the monsters. Not the Swamp Thing, some of the other "side effects" of the experiment gone wrong. A lot of story is condensed into this slim graphic novel, which makes sense considering who the author is. And I loved the art! ...more
Mr. Cody
Ugh. I wanted to dislike this book because of it’s ugly artwork and cliche characters, but it wasn’t so bad as far as stories go. I know I’m not the desired audience and that’s cool.

• Victor and Nora: A Gotham Love Story
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • Drama
  • Teen Titans: Beast Boy
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Origin of Species
  • I'm in love with a vampire!
  • Leave Me Breathless (Ross Siblings, #3)
  • The Shadow Threat (House of El, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Speckled Band
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • It's Trevor Noah: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood (Adapted for Young Readers)
  • I Am Haunted: Living Life Through the Dead
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l