Start by marking “Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Agatha Raisin, #18)” as Want to Read:
Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Agatha Raisin, #18)

Kissing Christmas Goodbye

(Agatha Raisin #18)

Unlike quite a number of people, Agatha had not given up on Christmas. To have the perfect Christmas had been a childhood dream whilst surviving a rough upbringing in a Birmingham slum. Holly berries glistened, snow fell gently outside, and inside, all was Dickensian jollity. And in her dreams, James Lacey kissed her under the mistletoe, and, like a middle-aged sleeping

Published October 2nd 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Christmas Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Christmas Goodbye

Josephine (Jo)
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Agatha never seems to get it right. The men in her life let her down, or rather they don't meet her high expectations. Her schemes for publicity usually go wrong and someone else takes the limelight. In this latest story Agatha takes on a new assistant detective Toni Gilmore. Toni comes from a very troubled family and Agatha despite her gruff exterior does have a heart, she takes Toni under her wing and does her best to help her get settled away from her awful mother and brother. Toni is go ...more
Olga Godim
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Lately, nothing book-related worked for me. My friends might’ve noticed the absence of recent reviews. Most books I read were mediocre and not worthy of reviews, or re-reads not of the sterling quality either. Sadly, this one was no exception.
It’s a new author for me though, so I stuck with the novel to the end. This author is well-known. The blurb mentions her accomplishments and calls her the “new Queen of Crime”, and the number of mysteries she has written, all published by a big house, one
Damaskcat
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin has always wanted to have a traditional Christmas with a proper Christmas tree, turkey and plum pudding and especially snow on Christmas day. Her previous efforts haven't turned out quite how she wanted them to. So she is planning well ahead and employing caterers so that nothing can go wrong with the meal.

But before Christmas she has to solve a mystery. Rich Mrs Tamworthy has written to her and said one of her relatives wants her dead before Christmas. Can Agatha find the culprit
Liz
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I love Agatha Raisin...she is so un-PC. I love all the re-occurring characters like Charles and Bill and Mrs Bloxey who are in each book and have been developed over 15+ books to where you know exactly what to expect.

The addition of Toni as a main character was great. She is a smart girl who is getting a chance to make something of herself. Also, it gives Agatha a chance to show her maternal side, while at the same time giving her another mirror for her insecurities and fear of aging.

This book
Sher
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first Agatha Raisin mystery. Raisin is one crusty character. She eats frozen dinners all of the time. Smokes like a chimney. She's also compassionate, bright, and brave. The supporting characters are all eccentric and fun. Mixed in with mystery are growing-old pains and the pains of the young not quite old enough. Agatha hopes to have the best Christmas dinner party ever, and in a way she does, but so many unexpected things happen. Also, I really enjoyed meeting the other detectives that work ...more
Andrea
Not the worst Christmas present I ever got, but close. Considering it’s hailed as “sharp, witty, hugely intelligent [and] unfailingly entertaining” I expected a whole lot more. I also expected it to be Christmas-themed given the title, but the plot takes place in October. Only the last chapter features a Christmas dinner which I thought was a bit of a let-down.
I thought the book was extremely boring; I can’t even remember the plot (I think there was more than one murder, but I could be wrong), a
Berit☀️✨
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Agatha.....
In this book Agatha has decided she is going to serve the perfect Christmas dinner, perhaps she has forgotten her attempt to do this before? Or the fact that she does not cook? Of course before this happens Agatha ends up in the middle of a murder... Agatha has also taken a new young detective under her wing, somewhat becoming the surrogate mother to Tony.... always nice to see Agatha has a big heart underneath her gruff exterior.... I enjoyed this book, I like the
Cyndi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Agatha finally gets a lovely Christmas party...well, almost.
Leslie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Although my only acquaintance with Agatha Raisin, before reading this book, was the excellent television adaptations, I had looked forward to checking out the books. And, given the title of this one, I thought this would be a perfect holiday season read; unfortunately, although Agatha Raisin thinks about the perfect Christmas celebration and goes about planning it, we only get about 20 pages of the actual holiday festivities towards the end of the book.

Before we get there, though, there is a nas
Anne Straub
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought I had read all of the Agatha raisin mysteries, but I must have skipped over this one when it came out. It was enjoyable, and it is proof that the series has slipped in the past decade. Bring back the plots that made sense and the Agatha that didn't drive me up the wall with her dithering!
Rachel
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, entertaining read - with interesting characters, twists and turns.
Tressa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, audio, mystery
Love this swerve away from the normal activities of the Agatha Raisin books as Agatha, who grew up in the Birmingham slums, wants the picture perfect Cotswold Christmas and will stop at nothing to get it.
Gina
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Agatha, like many of us, dreams of a perfect Dickensian Christmas (and of course, a smooch or two under the mistletoe with ex James Lacey) and sets out to provide one for her nearest and dearest. As expected, hilarity ensues AND at least one body is found. There were some really funny moments in this one--a great way to ease into the holiday spirit. I do love this bunch, more with every book.
Diane
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
not all that well written but fun and light and silly. just what i needed.
Linda Smatzny
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, Agatha Raisin is dreaming of the perfect Christmas even though it is only October. Agatha hires a new person, a young girl who has really good luck with her first two cases. Agatha has received a letter from a woman who feels someone in her family is going to kill her. When she is found dead, Agatha investigates to find the killer. Agatha is beginning to feel her age and resents that. The book was a very quick easy read.
Gary E
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

What really amazes me about this series is how action packed they feel despite their relatively short length.

This book was only about 250 pages but it left me feeling like I read a regular length (350 - 450 page) novel. I often complain when a book is short and thus feels incomplete; but, somehow MC Beaton manages to make these book feel complete despite their modest length.

I think of this series as a quintessential cozy British mystery. Full of great characters and a fumbling detectiv
The Flooze
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another marvelous installment, one in which all of Agatha's best qualities are showcased to the max.

Though she's always had sudden bursts of generosity and protectiveness, Mrs. Raisin outdoes herself this time. She may be mellowing a bit, but for Agatha that just means she's refocusing her no-nonsense attitudes to the benefit of those around her. And to her own benefit, as she sets boundaries and becomes more aware of her foibles and reins them in.

One of the recipients of her generosity is new c
Dina
This was my first attempt at an audio book. For the most part, I had to make myself pay attention. I find that when I drive, that's when I do some of my best thinking ;) But since I don't get to read nearly every book that I want to read...I checked this book on cd out at the library and have been listening to it for the past 2 weeks. (I mostly drive short trips..so it has taken awhile). This is my first experience with Agatha Raisin and I found her to be both amusing and annoying at times. She ...more
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#18 Agatha Raisin series. Agatha receives a letter from Phyllis Tamworthy, old and wealthy, claiming one of her family members is trying to kill her. Agatha agrees to pretend to be a guest at Phyllis's birthday party to observe her four children and their spouses. At the conclusion of the birthday tea, Mrs Tamworthy is unsteady getting up from her chair. She retires to her bedroom where she is found hours later, dead - poisoned and holding hemlock root in her hand! Was it one of the woman's chil ...more
Jasbr
Anders als es durch den Titel vermittelt wird, handelt es sich hier nicht um einen klassischen Weihnachtskrimi. Überhaupt findet die Haupthandlung gar nicht im Winter und um Weihnachten herum statt, sondern eher im Oktober. Weihnachten spielt nur in den letzten Kapiteln eine Rolle und ist auch mehr ein Agatha-Ding, hat also nichts mit dem Fall zu tun.
Wer sich aber nicht in die Irre führen lässt, wird mit diesem Krimi Spaß haben.
Agatha hat mittlerweile eine gut gehend Detektivagentur aufgebaut un
KyBunnies
Really love this series. I can't get enough of Agatha.
Anne
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book, Agatha's dreams of an idyllic Christmas and her unrequited love for James Lacey are not destined for success. However, as she plans a perfect Christmas, Agatha is enlisted to help solve a crime. Mrs Tamworthy, the victim, had called on Agatha, with her fears that someone wants her to die.

Agatha now has an assistant, who she has taken under her wing, Toni, who proves to be worth her weight in gold. So before Christmas can be enjoyed there is a murder to be solved.

There are many sur
Mayda
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, christmas, cozies
It’s nearly Christmas, but even that doesn’t cheer Agatha. Tired of the mundane cases she has been investigating, Agatha jumps at the request of a wealthy widow to find out which of her relatives is trying to kill her. Alas, the widow’s prediction comes true, and now Agatha has a new slant to the case – trying to uncover the murderer. Much is happening in this tale, including the introduction of a new character to the series, Toni, a young girl whom Agatha rescues from an unsavory home life, as ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This was one of the better books in this series. Agatha Raisin is still irritating as usual and obsessed about James Lacy and the perfect Christmas, but she shows compassion for her young detective, Toni, whom she rescues from and abusive home. Toni is a wonderful addition to the Agatha Raisin stories and breathes new life into the series. She is talented and personable...a perfect foil for Agatha. James is his usual wooden self and Agatha's obsession with him is irritation as usual. In some way ...more
Barbara
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love the Hamish Macbeth series. Agatha Raisin is not a nice character and much, much harder to love, or even like for that matter. I stayed away from the Agatha Raisin series for a long time, since I knew the character was not really likable. I hoped she had evolved. In a sense, she has in this book, since she helps a new character who is in dire circumstances. However, it is not with ulterior motives on Agatha's part.

I enjoyed the read on the whole, but the main character is still not very s
Nicole
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well im failing when it comes Christmas books so far this year. This book was okay, but it was really boring. The Christmas part didn't occur until the last 30 pages. The rest of the book was set in October. I just felt like there was no real point to this book. It included side stories of characters that I didn't feel like were necessary. Agatha was just annoying. She complains all the time and is jealous of people for no reason. I get that maybe since this was book 18 in a series and I didn't ...more
Blue
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Why yes, I did just read an Agatha Raisin book yesterday. But these cozy British mysteries are a bit like potato chips, stopping at one is hard. Well maybe not like potato chips, because they make you feel gross after eating them, and these make me feel good.

A sweet book (I don't often say that about a book containing murder, greed and violence) that won't get you literature points, but will relax you.

Kim
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, 2012, kindle
I've just reread this one- as I've been reading the series in order and I'd read this one three years ago. I actually enjoyed it more the second time around. Agatha has taken on a teenage sidekick and they investigate a murder at a manor house. She is also organising the PERFECT Christmas dinner alongside the main story line.
writer...
Quite a different book than my first positive experience with Ms Beaton's "A Highland Christmas". Actually disappointed with the book's multiple murders and light handed treatment, probably in keeping with it's intended 'cosy' genre. A protagonist I could not appreciate resulting in a series I will not be pursuing further.
Deanne
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimethriller
Fun read with the usual blundering around by Agatha Raisin.

• Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel #20)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Death at the Alma Mater (St. Just Mystery #3)
  • The Thrill of the Haunt (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • Another Little Christmas Murder
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
  • We Wish You a Murderous Christmas (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #2)
  • The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • Foul Play at Four
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • Christmas Carol Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #20)
  • Monet Talks (Den of Antiquity, #12)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)