Start by marking “Once Upon an Irish Summer” as Want to Read:
Once Upon an Irish Summer

Once Upon an Irish Summer

(Once Upon a Summer)

Fiona Murphy became obsessed with a legendary pirate queen in college. A recent college grad, she's in Ireland to volunteer for the summer at a small museum dedicated to the woman's memory. But once the summer is done, might local scholar Rory O'Keeffe convince her to stay?
Published July 21st 2020 by Stonewater Books (first published July 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon an Irish Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon an Irish Summer

Start your review of Once Upon an Irish Summer
Rachel McMillan
Endorsement:
"Lisa Bergen has penned an immersive read laced with intelligence and steeped in the myths of Ireland. Transportive and warm, Once Upon an Irish Summer is a thoughtful escapist romance featuring a clever, relatable heroine, an unforgettable hero and intercepted by the history of legendary pirate queen Grace O’Malley. With just enough vulnerability to loan it a deft human touch and backed by impressive research, this is a treatise on quiet heroism and finding home in lush, new places.
Melanie
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

4.5

Once Upon An Irish Summer was such a fun and adventurous read. I loved the setting in which the story took place (Ireland!) and the Grace O’Malley history/treasure was SO interesting.

I thought the characters were really well written and I found Fiona and Rory's romance to be sweet. The ending was wonderful and tied things up nicely.

All in all, Once Upon An Irish Summer is a book you should add to your summer TBR if you enjoy sweet contemporary romances with a little bit of adventure. It was
Lila Diller
I had a little bit of trouble getting into the story, but I think that was my fault and not the author's. At one point, I was afraid that it was going to turn into romantic suspense, which I don't like to read. But it didn't go here, thankfully.

I really enjoyed the depth of the characters, both the hero Rory and the heroine Fiona, as well as most of the secondary characters, too. So many little details fueled my imagination.

At first, I didn't know if all the details about the pirate queen Grac
Tamara
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a cute read. I liked Rory and Fiona and their storylines, and how Rory's PSTD was given a nice sizeable chunk of the story. I enjoyed getting to know him and how his vulnerabilities were stopping him from moving on. Before meeting Fiona he was stuck in his past, and he realizes that he wants a chance with Fiona and he needs to mend from the trauma that he didn't heal from.
Beth Erin
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love Irish heroes even half as much as I do, you NEED this book in your life! Rory won me over from the start and I adore Fiona's loyalty and spunk. Great characters, great story!

I borrowed this book through the Kindle Unlimited program and I also received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was under no obligation to post a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Deborah Raney
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Bergren took me on a glorious trip to Ireland...and I didn’t want to come home! Wonderful characters, a beautifully painted setting, and an intriguing mystery were only the beginning. But it was the romance simmering between Fiona and Rory that truly stole my heart and made me turn the last page with a contented sigh (and a hope that I might meet these characters in another novel someday soon). Highly recommended and all in all, just what you'd expect from Lisa Bergren!
Emma Rose
This was a hard book for me to get through. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but at first, it was just focusing on the romance way to much, and it was a distraction to the history.

It was written amazingly, of course, since Lisa T. Bergren wrote it! And I really enjoyed the whole history aspect.

So Fiona goes to Ireland for her Grace O'Malley dissertation, but in the process finds romance in Rory.

Rory doesn't want to allow himself to love again, from what's happened in the past. And because
Rebecca Embry
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect book to escape the insane reality of life as we know it right now. Your mind easily travels to the luscious & vibrant countryside of Ireland. Old cottages and farmhouses sit at the end of long winding driveways and herds of sheep dot the meadows & pastures. Castles, bridges, and ruins seem to pop from the page, as if you're there in person exploring them yourself. That's what I love about Lisa's writing! She writes with such detail that you feel like your standing right there ...more
Abigail
Oh my word, this was such a cute story!! I literally love everything about this book. I think one of my favorite parts about this whole book was the slight mystery behind the discovery of Grace O'Malley's treasure. I also loved all the history/research that is woven throughout this entire book. It was so amazing!!

The characters were honestly some of my favorite. Rory and Fiona were so cute together and I loved watching them fall in love with one another. It was so sweet!! Fiona reminded me of m
Fiction Aficionado
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you can’t get to the Emerald Isle in person, a book is the next best thing—specifically, Once Upon an Irish Summer. Add in some historical research (on location, of course), a little bit of mystery, and a handsome Irish farmer and you’ve got the ideal getaway! And that’s what this read was. A lovely getaway for a few hours as I visited with Fiona, Rory, and his grandda and got tangled in their mishaps, successes, and the romance that gently unfolded.

Fiona Burke was a winsome heroine with a sp
Julie Graves
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Fiona Burke is in Ireland to research and finish up her dissertation. She has no interest in a summer romance, but Rory O'Malley draws her from the moment she meets him. Rory is staying the summer on his grandfather's farm. Dealing with PTSD and a broken heart, Rory has closed his heart to anyone trying to get close. He has no intention of opening his heart to Fiona. But Fiona's enthusiasm for her dissertation subject is hard to ignore and soon Rory and Fiona find themselves enjoying each other' ...more
Becky
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Full of adventure, danger, and romance, Once Upon an Irish Summer is a great summertime (or any time) read!

When I first sat down with the book, I must admit that I struggled a bit with the Irish brogue, and the pacing felt a little slow. But as I kept reading, I found myself totally immersed in the story!

Fiona and Rory are both incredibly likable—yet imperfect—characters, and I loved watching them find their way to each other. I also really enjoyed both Rory's grandpa and great-uncle, and I thou
Courtney Clark
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet romance with a picturesque, immersive setting! Ireland has moved even higher up my must-travel list.

Longer review to come.
Rosalyn
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is set in Ireland. A place that has LONG been in my top-10-places-I-want-to-visit list. And I was so excited to read it! Then there's also the fact that Lisa Bergren is a long-time favorite author of mine. In fact, I cannot remember when I first read her books, it's been over twenty years ago. So...putting these together, when I found out about this book, I knew I'd have to read it!

Fiona is an absolutely sweet, smart, if a bit lacking in confidence, red-headed heroine. The book begins
Phyllis
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can she find her future while seeking the past?

My rating is 4.5 stars

I really want to visit Ireland now!

It only took a moment for me to be drawn into this delightful story! Filled with rich depictions of the beautiful countryside and just enough brogue to add appropriate flavor, Once Upon an Irish Summer was just right.

Meeting quite by accident - literally, Rory and Fiona find they have much in common. Both love history. Besides that, he is a descendant of the pirate queen Fiona is researching w
Hallie Szott
Jul 05, 2020 marked it as reviewed
What a delightful adventure! My trip to Ireland earlier this year had to be cancelled, so Lisa T. Bergren’s Once Upon an Irish Summer proved to be just the Irish fun I needed.

Fiona Burke heads to Ireland to research the subject of her dissertation, the famed pirate queen Grace O’Malley, and of course, one of her distant relatives, the handsome Rory O’Malley, she does not exactly need.

From beginning to end, the pages of this book feel transportive. As I read, they immersed me in the captivating s
Marylin
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of a series of books full of adventures and sweet relationships and will capture you with its beautiful imagery and sweet dialogue.
I loved this story partly because it was based in Ireland a place, I’ve always dreamt of visiting, and partly because, the author has an amazing skill of writing books that will make your heart and head dream of far off adventures.
In this story, we are taken to the rolling hills and castles of Ireland. Where for a summer Fiona Burke is seeking to r
C
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started reading Lisa T. Bergren’s Once Upon an Irish Summer this morning and I stayed up after midnight to finish it.
I’ve been a longtime fan of Lisa T. Bergren, beginning with the River of Time series in high school- and this novel did not disappoint.
I hadn’t read any of her stand-alone novels previously, but I was excited about the reprinting of this one. Since I have some Irish in my heritage, I was excited to read a novel by my favorite author set in Ireland. And I mean come on, with pirat
Jaime
I'm not the biggest adult romance fan, but reading Once Upon an Irish Summer felt like a wish list come true: Irish brogue, history on an awesome pirate queen, a treasure hunt, and even puppies!

If you like Lisa's other books or want a fun, clean romance, definitely read this and the rest of the Once Upon a Summer series.

Full review here: https://booksandwafflesblog.wordpress...

~Thank you to the author for providing a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own
Kelly Hodgkins
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful, gentle romance! I love Lisa’s writing and so it was a treat to explore the Irish country with her. With a pirate queen at the centre of our leading ladies doctoral thesis, Fiona sets off to spend the summer in Ireland. Whilst enjoying farming life, she meets history teacher and enthusiast Rory who helps introduce her to the locals and adventure through the historical landmarks. The friendship forms slowly and the book is full of other wonderful characters who make the journey ...more
Jan Coker
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance, mystery, adventure, and lots of heart. Loved it!!!

Being mostly Irish, this was a real treat for me. I’ve never been there, though it’s on my list, so the descriptions of so many lovely places was wonderful! The story was fun, interesting, moving, and kept me up late reading it. Definitely worth it!
Eileen
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon an Irish Summer by Lisa Tawn Bergren is a wonderful escape filled with romance and history! Bergren also has some hidden emeralds of intrigue, genealogy, and kindness that I unearthed as I read her novel.

I won this wonderful novel in a giveaway. Is a blessing to share this review with future readers.
Becka
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

I couldn't put this book down once I started. It pulled me into the Irish landscape immediately, and I had to know what happened next in the story. And now that I'm finished, now all I want to do is go to Ireland and meet my own Rory.
Margaret Nelson
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I've never been to Ireland, but enjoy reading about it. I liked the characters, and the real history included. The pacing was just right - building up to a climax, but not too fast.
Vicky Dedda
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book set in Ireland. It was a sweet romance with some suspense and full of rich history of an Irish lady Pirate. What I especially loved is that as well as being rich in history it was rich in the beauty of Ireland. I have been to Ireland but after reading Lisa's book I want to go back and explore the region that is in the book and explore the Pirate Queen's territory. You will enjoy this lovely novel and you will be thrilled at the history and the beauty of the places in the bo ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
A Bit Slow

This story was a bit slow going for me. I had a harder time sticking with it for some reason. The beginning was good, the ending was good. I liked the setting - Ireland!
Colleen
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Once Upon An Irish Summer, Lisa Bergren, once again, takes the reader on a delightful journey of intrigue, restoration, hope, and faith. A perfect summer read for a wonderful mind getaway. And, I suspect most of us could benefit from that right now! I know I did!
Virginia
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another exciting story, written by a master storyteller who seamlessly weaves culture, history, romance, and danger. This story was a true treasure. I fell in love with the characters and setting. My favorite part was the reference to characters from former beloved stories. 4.8/5
Shannon
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It has a great story with some drama, love and truth.
Kim
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grand old time

Adventure awaits in Lisa Bergren's Ireland. Join the history and hunt for information on legendary Grace O'Malley. You'll be glad you did.

• To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
  • Start With Me
  • Under Scottish Stars (MacDonald Family Trilogy #3)
  • The Price of Valor (Global Search and Rescue, #3)
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • Molly (Sewing in SoCal, #1)
  • Fair as a Star (Victorian Romantics, #1)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Like a Christmas Dream (Port Willis Romance)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath)
  • The Heart of a Hero (Global Search and Rescue, #2)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
  • Gentleman Jim: A Tale of Romance and Revenge
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Finding Home (Baxter Family Children, #2)
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 50 books, with more than 3 million copies sold. She is in the middle of writing The Sugar Baron's Daughters Series (KETURAH, VERITY and SELAH), and recently finished a teen series called Remnants (SEASON OF WONDER, SEASON OF FIRE, and SEASON OF GLORY). She's also written the River of Time Series (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT,

Once Upon a Summer (4 books)
  • Once Upon a Montana Summer
  • Pathways (Full Circle Series #3)
  • Treasure (Full Circle Series #4)

News & Interviews