Start by marking “Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)

Black Sun

(Between Earth and Sky #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  3,021 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews
From the New York Times best-selling author of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn comes the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy, inspired by the civilizations of the Pre-Columbian Americas and woven into a tale of celestial prophecies, political intrigue, and forbidden magic.

A god will return

When the earth and sky converge

Under the black sun

In the holy city of Tova,
Audiobook, 464 pages
Published October 13th 2020 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Black Sun, please sign up.
Katie Rose Thank you so much! I'm currently reading the ARC and I love it so much! I'm definitely going to post the review soon! And I'm excited to see the maps …moreThank you so much! I'm currently reading the ARC and I love it so much! I'm definitely going to post the review soon! And I'm excited to see the maps ☺️(less)

·  3,021 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews

Start your review of Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
chai ♡
Update: I... need the next book like an ember needs air. Holy shit. This was EPIC. Full review to come.

I read the first chapter of this book and experienced every range of the human emotion. This is going to be a real page-turner, and I'm very excited (I mean it's set in pre-columbian americas, and is about resurrected gods, murderous priests, and a bisexual siren/pirate captain, what's not to love???)
Petrik
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRjh...

ARC provided by the publisher—Saga Press—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Fascinating world-building and riveting narrative. Black Sun was my first venture in Rebecca Roanhorse’s works, and it certainly won’t be the last.

I’ve heard a lot of great things about The Sixth World, an ongoing urban fantasy series by Roanhorse, but I haven’t managed to get to them yet. When I saw this book being offered t
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Banging my head against the door! Why I didn’t notice this remarkably creative author’s work before! ( Right now I’m adding her previous works to my monstrous tbr and I’m not afraid of any eruption!)

The world building already blew my mind with its refreshing view which is inspired by Pre-Columbian Americans (indigenous people)! The story centered on 4 characters:
Serapio: a young boy’s suffering and tremendously compelling journey to turn turn into a Crow God has the most remarkable part a
mina reads™️
as the oracle lady gaga once said “talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, showstopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique”

This is the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy which is inspired by the civilizations of the pre-Columbian Americas. This setting was absolutely brilliant, it was vibrant and captivating from the very first chapter. We embark on a journey of celestial prophesy, political intrigue, and magic.

We follow multiple POVs, a shy blind young man, Serapio, de
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

Epic fantasy fans – rejoice! Get ready to shout from your rooftops and jump for joy.

Because Rebecca Roanhorse has given us a gift. A magical and wondrous gift. Black Sun, the first book in the Between Earth and Sky trilogy, is FANTASTIC.

“A god will return
When the earth and sky converge
Under the black sun”

On the continent of Meridian lies the holy city of Tova, home to the Watchers and the Sky Made clans, where celebrations for the
S.A. Chakraborty
I just finished BLACK SUN by and genuinely don't have words to convey how absolutely tremendous it is. You ever just feel honored to read a book? To feel the boundaries of your genre expand and delight in knowing how many people are going to love it and feel seen?

If you like any sort of fantasy, you NEED it. Epic fantasy set in a world inspired by the Pre-Columbian Americas in a way that is glorious and celebratory and rich. Slow burn romance and lady sea captains and awesome cliff cities and a
Riley
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMMACULATE
Samantha
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW: blood; mutilation/scarification; self harm; drug and alcohol use; suicide

I listened to this on audio and highly recommend it as the cast is wonderful. This book solidified Roanhorse as an author I’ll be keeping my eye on. This combines interesting lore (crow mythology AND mermaids/sirens?!), political intrigue, and celestial events into one satisfying start to a series. There are a few cliffhangers at the end, so I am distressed that we don’t already have a release date for the sequel.
jenny✨
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who adored Jade City or The First Sister
The self-deprecating part of me that is unused to overwhelming positive emotion (and that attempts to minimize anything of meaning to me) was tempted to start this review off by quipping, This is the book I never knew I needed! but that wouldn’t be quite right.

In truth, this is the book my soul—and the souls of many others, I’m sure—has needed for a long, long time.

This is a story that is founded on Indigenous mythology and epistemologies (and written by an Indigenous person); that centres cha
Bradley
I feel vindicated. Rebecca Roanhorse writes a fine, fine epic fantasy.

I knew she could do good UF, but we all know that epic fantasy requires a huge amount of worldbuilding to do it right. And this is evident in Black Sun. :)

One strong point: the opening worked REALLY, REALLY well for me. I haven't read such a strong start of a book in a long time. Visceral, scary, making me ask tons of questions and freaking OUT. Very good stuff.

As for the epic stuff? Gorgeous backdrop, lots of fascinating Po
Mara
This book starts with one of the most propulsive opening scenes I've ever read. From there, at least for me, it never let up and this is probably my favorite book I've read so far this year. This is high fantasy exactly the way I like: 1) character driven, 2) with political machinations, 3) in an interesting, non-basic-b****-medieval world, 4) with cool magical elements, 5) that doesn't lag & keeps me engaged throughout. I absolutely cannot wait for the rest of this trilogy and this is one of th ...more
Lisa
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Gallery/Saga Press, Rebecca Roanhorse and Netgalley.
The synopsis of the book pulled me in. The whole dang story made me stay!
I was expecting Aztecs, or Mayans. What I got was a fantasy quest that sucked me in so fast that I was actually heartbroken to read the final pages. Luckily!! It's not finished! Ms. Roanhorse has my damned attention!
Egads! I love this story!
aarya
Bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CD5CJyTgo...

I am angry at how phenomenal this book is. Like, what gave you the right to be so good, BLACK SUN? Go preorder this, everyone. You’ll thank me for it.

But he did have something that others lacked, something he would have willingly traded for love had the bargain ever been offered. He had purpose.

“A man with a destiny is a man who fears nothing,” he whispered to himself.

I feel inadequate in writing any sort of review because it would pale in
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I was so damn hyped for this and it did not disappoint! The world was *chefs kiss* so iconically adult fantasy. Felt familiar but different. The characters were fantastic and I'm a big fan of our main character especially! Super excited for the next book and I absolutely love the physical copy. I don't know what material they used on the dustkackets but it's like...it kinda glows big it's not glittery metallic or foil.

Rep: no labels are given but the m/c has an "entanglement" with a woman as wel
Elle
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
This was such a divergence from almost any other fantasy book I’ve read. And for the most part, that has been a good thing. I’ve really got to hand it to Rebecca Roanhorse here, she’s crafted an explosive start to a series set in a time and place not normally seen in this genre. Consider me thoroughly impressed.

The first book in the Between the Earth and Sky trilogy, Black Sun begins with a brutal opening scene that sets the tone for the rest of the book. The story picks up several years later
Charlie Jane Anders
I read this book last week, and I'm still thinking about it a lot. Roanhorse already blew my mind with Trail of Lightning, but this feels like an even richer world and an even more fascinating group of characters. The way she jumps around in time, and everything comes together in a beautifully intense crescendo, feels like the best high-wire act. The world, with all of its different cultures and religions, drawn from the pre-Columbian Americas, feels so vividly drawn and keenly observed and I co ...more
sarah xoxo
Black Sun is the first instalment in the Between Earth and Sky series, a high fantasy inspired by pre-columbian americas. We follow multiple perspectives from all across this vibrant world, all seemingly separate at the beginning, but soon become entangled with one another's story. While it took me quite a bit of time to get invested in the story, once I became immersed, I was in love.

This story and world is so expansive that I don't even know how to give an accurate summary that does justice t
Justina Ireland
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go ahead and preorder this from your local indie now. You're going to want to be the first of your friend group to crow (lol) about this brilliant fantasy novel.

High fantasy has always been very hit or miss for me, mostly because it takes a lot for me to suspend my disbelief. Too many fantasy authors think a vaguely Arthurian setting, dudes in armor with swords and randomly misspelled/capitalized words (Magick, for example) make for great fantasy, and I disagree. What makes fantasy great is the
Thomas
Good book though not a great fit for me. Reading Black Sun reminded me a lot of my experience reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. While I recognize the quality of the world-building, this type of epic fantasy rarely appeals to me if the characters are not compelling and well-developed.

I appreciated the novel’s world-building in that it is inspired by the pre-Columbian cultures of the Americas. I also enjoyed the inclusion of LGBTQ+ individuals, in particular characters who are a third gend
Anna Luce
/ / / Read more reviews on my blog / / /

3 ¾ stars (rounded up)

“A smart Teek survives the storm, but a wise Teek avoids storms altogether.”

It took me awhile to warm up to Black Sun and during its first half I worried that I would find myself once again in the 'unpopular' opinion camp. As I'd read and liked Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning I was hoping that I would find Black Sun to be at least an entertaining read...but within the first 40% I found myself tempted to DNF it but I'm glad i
Fanna
November 05, 2020: Absolute perfection. Full review coming soon!

October 02, 2020: got an advanced listening copy and i am so excited, especially since it gives the perfect trio of my favourite themes: celestial prophecy + political intrigue + forbidden magic AHH
Michelle
Yass!
Have you ever had a book where you enjoyed it so much you had to stop reading it? Because if you finished then it would be over and your time with it would be done. I experienced this with Black Sun.
Stopping and starting a few times because I didn't want it to end and I didn't want to see my favorite characters die. My absolute favorite was Xialia. I liked her strength, her vulnerability and her snarkiness. I also liked the mystery in which Roanhorse shrouds Serapio. Even towards the end
Geri Reads
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t have enough words to describe how amazing this book is. The world! The mythology! The characters! The plot! I honestly don’t know what to say except ‘preorder this book and read it immediately upon release!’

I’ll make an effort to review once my heart rate has gone back to normal. 💀

An ARC was provided by SagaPress for an honest review
nick (the infinite limits of love)

I'm not the most experienced adult epic fantasy reader but when Amber at Du Livre couldn't stop raving about Black Sun, curiosity got the best of me. I don't know what it was about Black Sun, but this is the first fantasy book I've read in a very long time that has held my attention all the way through. It's a remarkable character-driven fantasy series opener that's undeniably going to evolve into an epic trilogy.

Black Sun is told through the POVs of several characters. That in itself should ha
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/10/12/...

I am stunned! I mean, I always knew Rebecca Roanhorse would go places ever since I read her debut Trail of Lightning, and I have also gone on to adore the follow-up Storm of Locusts as well as the novel she wrote for the new Star Wars universe, Resistance Reborn. Her first crack at epic fantasy, however, was even better than I could have imagined! Black Sun is incredible, my favorite work of hers yet.

Told via multiple pers
Bethany
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Sun is a stunning start to a new fantasy series that begins with a bang, ends on a serious cliffhanger, and in between features compelling, complex characters, loads of political intrigue, twists, turns, and a vividly described world and magic system inspired by the civilizations of the pre-Columbian Americas. In centers characters who are disabled (blind), casually queer, and people of color. Also it has badass mermaids. I mean really...what more could you want?! I have zero complaints. H ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Gallery Books
This was fantastic!!! A highly inclusive, heart-stopping introduction into Rebecca Roanhorse's new world. I look forward to reading more in this trilogy! Full review to come.
Sofia
Nov 20, 2020 marked it as started-will-finish-eventually  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to DNF this for now, because just the thought of picking it up again is sending me into a reading slump. Not another problem I need to add to my list of things gone wrong with Sofia's life in the year 2020, which is alarmingly long. So I'll add it to my "will-finish-eventually" shelf, whose title is just slang for "didn't read enough of this to rate it; I have no interest in finishing it but apparently it's good so I kind of have to." But that didn't fit.

I have absolutely nothing to s
Wealhtheow
This story, world, and characters are so fully realized and immersive that when I finished the book I felt disoriented. It follows four characters: Naranpa, a smart, idealistic Sun Priest newly elevated to leadership; Okoa, a scion of the Carrion Crow clan whose mother just died mysteriously; Xiala, a sort of mermaid/siren/selkie type who has been exiled from her people and now captains a merchant vessel; and Serapio, a blind man whose purpose and powers are slowly revealed over the course of th ...more
Katie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2020, arc
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley. All thoughts are my own.

Review:

It’s been a while since I’ve picked up a book, only to find myself physically incapable of putting it down. Black Sun did that for me. Everything about this book, from the characters to the writing to the plot to the worldbuilding were so fascinatingly unique that Black Sun easily makes my Top 5 books of 2020 list.

What struck me first were the characters, and really one in particular: Serapio. Black Sun opens to Ser

• A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Ring Shout
  • Corduroy
  • The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Roomies
  • The Wife Stalker
  • Green Lantern: Legacy
  • Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)
  • Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
  • The Crown Jewels Boxed Set (Crown Jewels, #1-3)
Rebecca Roanhorse is a NYTimes Bestseller and a Nebula, Hugo and Locus Award-winning speculative fiction writer and the recipient of the 2018 Astounding (formerly Campbell) Award for Best New Writer.

Her novels include TRAIL OF LIGHTNING, STORM OF LOCUSTS, STAR WARS: RESISTANCE REBORN, and RACE TO THE SUN. Her upcoming novel BLACK SUN is set to release 10/13/2020.

She lives in Northern New Mexico w

Articles featuring this book

November is National Native American Heritage Month in the United States, and it's the perfect time to read a new book by an Indigenous writer....
“And Grandfather Crow said to First Woman, tell me your stories so that I might know who you are and what you value. If your stories are of the glory of war, I will know you value power. If your stories are of kinship, I know you value relationship. If your stories are of many children, I know you value legacy. But if your stories are of adaptation and survival, of long memory and revenge, then I will know you are a Crow like me.” 3 likes
“There was magic in the world, pure and simple, things she didn't understand. Best get used to it.” 2 likes