Start by marking “One by One” as Want to Read:
One by One

One by One

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  27,991 ratings  ·  4,415 reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Turn of the Key and In a Dark Dark Wood returns with another suspenseful thriller set on a snow-covered mountain.

Getting snowed in at a beautiful, rustic mountain chalet doesn’t sound like the worst problem in the world, especially when there’s a breathtaking vista, a cozy fire, and company to keep you warm. But what happens
Published September 8th 2020 by Scout Press

To ask other readers questions about One by One, please sign up.
Julia If this is the first time you've come across a book with a similar premise to And Then There Were None then you've not been paying attention! :)
M Just a chef at a exclusive chalet frustrated by guests who don't give advance information about their dietary needs--in this case who throw his menus …moreJust a chef at a exclusive chalet frustrated by guests who don't give advance information about their dietary needs--in this case who throw his menus into chaos by not disclosing they're vegans. (less)

·  27,991 ratings  ·  4,415 reviews

Start your review of One by One
Chelsea Humphrey
description

description

Well, here we are again. I've been hit or miss with Ruth Ware's novels since she broke onto the scene, and while I wasn't a huge fan of her first 3 books, I really connected well with The Death of Mrs. Westaway and The Turn of the Key. Finding out that Ms. Ware has a true calling in telling stories of modern gothic suspense, I assumed she would stay this route, at least for awhile, but it seems she's come full circle back around to her roots. I have no desire to be mean or personally attack the
Meredith
Aug 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bored to Tears!

One by One is a thriller/mystery about a corporate staff retreat at a ski chalet that goes horribly awry, resulting in members of the group being killed off “one by one.”

A group of technology executives arrive at a French Ski Chalet, but not all make it out alive. They are fighting to decide whether or not to sell the company. Alliances are formed, and the atmosphere is rife with tension. When a natural disaster occurs, the group must fight to survive, but there’s a murderer among
Dita
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

Snoop is the app everyone is talking about! With Snoop you can "snoop" on the music that celebrities, your friends and even your crush is listening to in real time. Anonymously!

So when the Snoop team visits a ski chalet in France to iron out some big decisions and they start dying one by one? Well, I was all over it! This is my favorite kind of book.

As much as I loved the first half, I had two issues:

1) There were five shareholders, five company employees and two chalet employees to keep track
Melissa
Predictably lame and boring. A paint by numbers “suspense” novel that fails to offer any shock and awe. Given my history with the author’s work, not even the dud conclusion managed to evoke surprise.

Ruth Ware’s work—the few books I’ve dabbled in over the years—hasn’t left me with an overly positive impression. My experiences with her work hit-or-miss, most finding a home in the latter category. Regardless, some warped sense of missing out, bred from the enthusiasm I’ve seen for her work, contin
Debra
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Because the world does not have enough social media apps, Snoop is on the scene to allow you to anonymous listen to the music that your friends, relatives, favorite celebrities, and social media influences are listening to. People can snoop in on you as well. It's a fun way to discover new music and be able to sit back and listen along with celebrities such as Lady Gaga and Beyoncé as they are listening to their favorite music.

When the developers of Snoop and their staff arrive at a ski chalet i
marilyn
Publication: September 8th 2020

One By One, by Ruth Ware, dumps twelve characters on you pretty quickly, so you need a cheat sheet or a sharp mind to keep track of the characters. I started the book when I was hungry and tired and had to quit reading to eat a meal and take a nap, before I could keep the characters straight. But once I got them into my head, I kept a firm grip on who was who.

Erin and Danny are the staff at a fancy, mountain chalet and this week they are hosting co-workers and one
Paromjit
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Ware's latest offering is a terrific, light and entertaining thrill of a ride, a great opportunity to lose yourself for a few hours with a cuppa and forget the troubles of the world. Set in the perfect atmospheric remote and isolated location of beautiful snowy mountains, we have a locked room mystery with a number of classic golden age of crime tropes, as an avalanche leaves a diverse set of characters without power and cut off from the outside world whilst a terrifying killer begins to mu ...more
Kelli Wilson
BOOM SHAKALAKA!
…. said Ruth Ware when she finished writing this book!

OH HELL YES!!
…. said myself and so will you after reading this book!

A fancy chalet atop a French mountain rented by a company for an employee retreat. Things are moving along when the group heads out to ski. Until not everyone returns to the chalet, one of their party is missing. As if that isn’t stressful enough, how about adding in an avalanche that cuts off all communication and seals you inside the chalet. Want more? How
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***

I am a fan of Ms. Ware’s writing and I was highly anticipating this novel. What I have truly realized with this book is that Ms. Ware always has “something” that will turn a novel around and make you second guess where you think the plot is going,

Most of the book points to a killer that is trying to make a profit through the outcome of the company, but is that really what is motivating this killer? Think about this you will thank me!

Truthfully the beginning of this bo
Gabby
This was so bad and I was bored to tears reading this book and the ending was incredibly cheesy and I predicted the killer from the first page. Hear my full thoughts here: https://youtu.be/KYqDMJa1Thk ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
I hear your booing! I can see your sulking faces and your rising arms holding rotten eggs aiming at my face! Well, you busted me! I’m writing a real unpopular review right now! I’m not sorry for sitting on my throne at the minority land of ultra annoying tough graders’ palace. I’m just sorry for my tears I shed when my arc request got rejected by the publishing company. I should have seen as a sign. It tells me stop spending your money for your grandiose appetite for books and trim your tbr whic ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
WELL, WELL, WELL.....

.......f u c k.

(Read for The Literally Dead Book Club Pick for the month of October. Tune in for the liveshow for our thoughts— date TBD).

Rating TBA :)
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars! The perfect atmospheric and suspenseful read to escape into!

An isolated ski lodge. A corporate retreat. A devastating and destructive avalanche. A missing person. Secretive and suspicious characters. Thick underlying tension. Hidden secrets and motives. All of these aspects combine to create an easy, engrossing and entertaining story that had me guessing from start to finish.

I really enjoyed the enveloping atmosphere throughout this novel. I truly felt alone and isolated in the snowy mo
Jayme
3.5 rounded up!

Snoop is a break-out, tech start up on the verge of an IPO (initial public offering) or a buy out..depending on which founding Shareholder you ask.

A music APP that let’s you “snoop” on your favorite celebrities by listening to the same music that they are listening to, at the same time-“like sharing ear buds-one for you and one for me”...

You choose who to “snoop on” and other subscribers can choose to “snoop” on you..

FIVE SHAREHOLDERS and FIVE EMPLOYEES from SNOOP are traveling

3. One by One: 4-stars
4. The Death of Mrs. Westaway: 4-stars
5. In a Dark, Dark Wood: 3.5-stars
6. The Woman in Cabin 10: 3-stars

I will always pick up Ruth Ware's books. This was a solid, locked-room Mystery. I loved the nod to the classic formula. Well played by Ware.

Full review to come...stay tuned!!!

Original:

From synopsis:

A luxury mountaintop chalet.
The opportunity of a lifetime.
Until guests start to disappear…

An
Sumit RK
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite murder mystery subgenres is the ‘locked room mystery’. Featuring a cast of creepy characters, locked away from the outside world, while a serial killer hunting them, one by one. The thrill of seeking the killer hiding in plain sight is simply unparalleled. Agatha Christie has done it before and with One by One, Ruth Ware has tried to give us a modern version of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.

Set in a perfect atmospheric & isolated location in the beautiful snowy mo
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Lock Room Mysteries are one of my favourite types of stories for an entertaining read. I love the intense, isolating and claustrophobic feel of them. Ruth Ware knows how to bring one by creating one tense setting here after an avalanche at a ski lodge in the French Alps snows in the characters. Erin and Danny host employees of a social media company (sounds like a nightmare already, right) who are there to promote "mindfulness and collaboration," but they might have other motivations to being th ...more
Peter
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, netgalley
Elimination
The concept of One by One is really appealing in an Agatha Christie way, where a remote location gets cut-off from the outside world and one by one the stranded characters are murdered, with the killer being one of them.

Erin and Danny operate a ski chalet in France and are hosting a company retreat for Snoop, a social media company that enables subscribers to tune into each other’s music playlists in real-time. With celebrity users, fans can listen to exactly what their favourite pers
Oscar
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2020-releases
"Our guests are disappearing one by one, like some bad horror movie."

Eight coworkers of a tech company named Snoop and two staff members are now trapped due to an avalanche in a chalet high up in this snowy mountain. Electricity has been cut off. No signal for their phones to call for help. Food is running out. Everyone is close in losing their minds in this holiday gone wrong scenario. What's the worst thing that could happen next? Two things. Dead bodies and a killer in their midst.

One by
Ceecee
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten guests arrive at Chalet Perce-Neige in France for a combined skiing and work break. The chalet is off the beaten track and access is principally by funicular. All ten guests are connected to Snoop music app in some way which allows you to snoop and listen to what other people are listening too at that moment. The guests are looked after for the duration by Erin who is the host and Danny, the chef. The story is told in alternating perspectives by Erin and Liz who used to be PA at Snoop and no ...more
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards finalist for best mystery & thriller 2020! what will happen?

this is my third ruth ware novel and, enjoyment-wise, it's riiiiight in the middle. i read In a Dark, Dark Wood way back when i was a reader for bn's discover program, and i disliked it, and then i didn't read her again until i (very favorably) reviewed The Turn of the Key for l.a. review of books.

early reviews of this book were not encouraging, and while it didn’t blow my mind, i really don't ask for much
Farrah
DNF @ pg 117
I'm very surprised to be doing this with a Ruth Ware book but I'm just not getting any enjoyment out of it. No rating.
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I know there are mixed reviews... but I loved it!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Ruth Ware you did it again! Now I have officially read all of her books. Turn of the Key being my favorite but this is a close second.

A company getaway to a ski chalet...yes please, sign me up! That is until the avalanche snowed them in, knocked their power out and left them to be sitting ducks. I say this because apparently one of our guests...or employees are a cold blooded killer...

This book was brilliant on so many levels. First of
Joey R.
3.0 stars —- I decided to read Ruth Ware’s “One by One” after I was so pleasantly surprised by her last novel “The Turn of the Key”. I wasn’t sure what the plot of the story was, but I immediately noticed how similar the novel’s premise was to one of my favorite Shari Lapena’s novel, “An Unwanted Guest.” Unfortunately, Ware’s book pales in comparison to the far superior Lapena novel. In my opinion “One by One” started off incredibly slow because of the fact that the book has the unenviable task ...more
DeAnn
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
*Happy pub day Ruth Ware, it's very fitting since it is going to snow soon in Denver!

3.5 Snow Chalet Stars

This is my sixth book by Ruth Ware and each one is a little different. I loved the setting for this one, a secluded luxury ski chalet in the alps, accessible only by funicular. Imagine your work retreat/ski adventure there and let your imagination run wild!

There’s always a lot going on behind the scenes in Ware’s books and this one is no different. The points of view are from Erin – she’s o
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)

I'm going to dnf this one.

It's a library check-out and I've been bored for 50 pages. Many of my GR friends didn't enjoy it and I thought I'd just give it a try, but I'm not going to endure....

No Rating....
Michael David
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

I’ve stumbled upon quite a few enjoyable “locked room” mysteries lately, but this one is the best of the recent bunch!

A group of owners and employees of the music app, Snoop, book a trip at a luxurious ski chalet. Tensions are already high within the group before an avalanche plummets the resort and leaves them stuck, along with the two employees who work at the resort. Then, one by one, people start getting murdered. You know how these stories go.

ONE BY ONE is told throu
Javier
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve seen Ruth Ware described as “the Agatha Christie of our generation” and that has never been truer than in “One by one”. A beautiful mountain chalet in the Alps, a company retreat with some of your coworkers and an avalanche hitting, getting you snowed in at the top of the mountain. What could go wrong? The answer is: everything! 😄

I gotta be honest, this type of mysteries, reminiscent of “And then there were none”, are some of my favorite stories. Give me a group of people isolated in a remo
JanB
I gave it nearly 100 pages before throwing in the towel.
Katie B
Reading this book was similar to my experience with The Girl on the Train. Both books held my interest for the most part but early on I had a hunch and it turned out to be true. I don’t want to be right when it comes to story predictions. I want to be surprised! So yeah, starts off strong but limps to the finish.

The author basically cuts to the chase at the beginning of the story by divulging via a news article that 4 Britons have died in a ski resort tragedy. A murder investigation is
Challenge Corner: One by One by Ruth Ware -> Starting October 10th, 2020 27 16 Nov 18, 2020 02:13AM
Lepper Public Lib...: One by One by Ruth Ware - January 2021 1 2 Nov 06, 2020 06:33AM
Literally Dead Bo...: one by one | pages 1 - 125 46 421 Nov 05, 2020 07:44PM
All the Books!: One by One by Ruth Ware 10 16 Oct 21, 2020 06:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 4 12 Oct 03, 2020 10:14AM
Final Round
4,925,983 Votes Cast

• Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • The Invited
  • The Better Sister
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Miracle Creek
  • Dear Wife
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The House We Grew Up In
  • Nightingale House
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier
  • Giada's Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets
  • Ghosts of Harvard
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at www.twitter.com/ruthwarew

Articles featuring this book

“I stop, thinking of Topher and his cushioned, monied existence--the way he has had everything handed to him on a plate, the way he's never had to scrap for anything, never had to swallow a snub from a boss, or pick up a stranger's dirty underwear, or do any of the myriad demeaning, boring jobs the rest of us take for granted.

They are arrogant, that's what I realize--maybe not Liz and Carl quite so much, but all of them to some degree. They are protected by the magic of their shares and their status and their IP. They think that life can't touch them--just like I used to do.

Only now it has. Now life has them by the throat. And it won't let go.”
1 likes
“My breath in the kitchen was a cloud of white. Upstairs must be subzero. “Maybe… should we sleep down here?” I ask. “I—I guess. Yes. I suppose it makes sense.” 0 likes