Start by marking “The 12th Planet (Earth Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 12th Planet (Earth Chronicles, #1)

The 12th Planet

(Earth Chronicles #1)

Over the years, startling evidence has been uncovered, challenging established notions of the origins of life on Earth - evidence that suggests the evidence of an advanced group of extraterrestrials who once inhabited our world.

The first book of the revolutionary Earth Chronicles series offers indisputable documentary evidence of the existence of the mysterious planet of N
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published 2007 by Avon Books (NYC) (first published 1976)

Start your review of The 12th Planet (Earth Chronicles, #1)
Whitney
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended Sitchin to me, and at first I sort of laughed because of how the media portrays people who believe in aliens and because science-fiction makes them into gray creatures with big eyes that probe humans.
Also, the fact that I saw his name next to David Icke's a lot...

To fully enjoy this book, you have to shake off all stereotypes and just absorb the words on the page, and if you're able to do that, there is no reason you shouldn't enjoy what you're reading.
I thought this book w
Sheila
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
I thought this one was great! At first I thought maybe the author was a bit off, with his extra planet theroy. But I was amazed at what I learned from this one. Mostly about how the Bible stories are in fact true, but based on MUCH older stories from an ancient Sumerian civilization. It is astonishing just how much these ancients recorded and how much they knew. How advanced they were! Where did all the intelligence go that those who came before us had? Hummmm makes a person wonder!
Rinda Rinda
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's difficult for me to believe many of the theories laid out in this book as pure fact or non-fiction when the author doesn't site his sources on the ready as I'm reading. If the author claims something seemingly outrageous as fact, then I'd like to be able to see a footnote and double check that statement easily. Also, I'd like to be able to know where all the drawings of clay tablets included throughout the book are located, and how I can see for myself that it is real and true. I understand ...more
Timothy Urges
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
The 12th Planet is a dangerous book. Misuse of information is how power falls into the wrong hands. False information breeds ignorance. And ignorance spreads like fire when profits can be made.

The lack of citations takes away what little credibility Sitchin has. Quoting out of context and choosing specific facts while ignoring relevant information is not how to build an argument.

Sitchin admits in the prologue that he is taking ancient myths and interpreting them literally and creating a narrat
Eli Shayotovich
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I attended Christian Jr/Sr. high schools and studied the Bible extensively every day throughout those years. When I went to college I minored (more or less) in religious studies. I'm also a massive lover of history. In order to be able to learn you have to ALWAYS remain open minded. Granted, the theories and concepts brought forth by Sitchin, while at times seem outlandish on the surface, are no more so then believing in a one, true almighty being who made man from clay and woman from a rib, has ...more
Omid Mankoo
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zachariah Sitchins books are detailed with actual translations of Ancient Cuniform (clay tablet) writings. They are Sumerian Writings , the language which brought about Aramaic, which in turn brought about Hebrew and Arabic. He is an Archeologist, and ancient script interpreter/translator. He delves into ancient texts, and clay tablet writtings, religious scriptures, artifacts, and drawings & visits museums, and sights of actual historical significance mentioned in various world scriptures, to g ...more
Owlseyes
"The Gods of Heaven and Earth of the ancient Near East not only originated in the heavens but could also return to the Heavenly Abode".

"A study by Gustav Guterbock (Die Historische Tradition und Ihre Literarische Gestaltung bei Babylonier and Hethiten) ascertained that these were the "bird-men" depicted as the "Eagles" that we have already shown. The texts that spoke of their feats said of one that he "brought down Inanna from Heaven, to the E-Anna temple made her descend." This and other refer
Matt
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting book. The author takes all the relics- all the antiquities of history- all the religious texts- all the mythologies from Rome, Greece, Israel, India and Sumer.... and weaves them into an incredible tale about how earthlings came to be on the planet.

Some points are interesting- some points are plausible- and some points leave you scratching you head saying... huh... you've got to be kidding me.

I was about to put it down several times but kept with it through the end. The author ha
David Broome
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
While many people look at Zecharia Sitchin as a kook who used questionable anthropology and archaeology as a way to sell "alien astronauts" as the basis of sentient life on earth, I find his works to be passionate and well informed studies of Sumerian lore. Even if you discount entirely the concept of the Annunaki as aliens, this series is still a masterful work of bringing some of the most ancient tales to modern man.
Frobisher
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
The opening book of the epic Earth Chronicles lays out some serious cosmogony of our solar system, based on Sumerian texts and interesting conjecture.

Look people, its not science. And its not "bullshit," there are books that lie in between that spectrum and this is one of them. You can categorically disagree with everything Sitchin comes up with, but he really is not a loon, or crazy, and he is especially not a bad scholar.

Read the books for fun, pause and reflect on how odd and meaningless a lo
K.D. Absolutely
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Robertson Poblete
I have a hard time how to categorize this book: fiction or non-fiction?

It is definitely an interesting read. Zecharia Sitchin (1920-2010) spent most of his life understanding the Sumerian language and interpreting the cuneiform. His hypothesis is that men were created from the image and likeness of alien visitors some 400,000 years ago from the planet called Nibiru that is near Neptune and revolves our orbit in a strange slit-like fashion so astronomers have been missing it. So, if you are a rel
Kathy Davie
Sep 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: parallel-worlds
This was terrible. It starts off well enough---think Eric von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods. Makes you think. And then Stitchin takes off on hugely conflicting tangents. On the one hand, he claims that the 12th planet took x thousands of years to orbit through the solar system compared to one year for Earth and that's why so much could be accomplished on Earth with, as the Bible claims, people living or ruling for thousands of years. Then he goes on to claim that the Earth itself was created whe ...more
Terence
Jun 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
I like it only because it's such an over-the-top piece of pseudo-scientific clap trap that it's one of the most fun reading experiences I've ever had. It's a constant source of entertainment when I've got nothing else to do and have to kill some time.
Debasish Das
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having already read Graham hancock’s ‘Fingerprints of the Gods’ and ‘Underworld’; Christopher Dunn’s ‘The Giza Power Plant’, Elisabeth Haich’s ‘Initiation’ , this was book was in my reading bucket list for too long.

Though a bit dated, 12th Planet by Zecharia Sitchin, translated now into more than 25 languages, manages to sit us on the front row to raise the curtain over the celestial epic of creation and mankind’s history. Dismissed by some as mere science fiction, but revered by many, Sitchin w
Brandon Kessler
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The 12th Planet is book 1 of the Earth Chronicles series, and is on part astronomic theory, one part anthropology, one part linguistics, and one part fiction. Sitchin does an excellent job of putting forth his theory of where man originated, using the Old Testament, Ancient Akkadian, Mesopotamian, and Summerian Texts as his initial building blocks.

The first half of the book will draw those interested in early civilizations and languages, as well as theologists, deeply into the book. Everyone e
Trey Nowell
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by Zecharia Sitchin was a very lengthy and enjoyable read, especially towards the final 100 pages. This book is definitely for an open-minded type person that is knowledgeable in quite a few areas. The ideas and suggestions about aliens generally gets a lot of people worked up about how plausible or unbelievable they are, however Sitchin incorporates science, archaeology, the Bible, Sumerian creation stories, etc. into a beautifully woven understanding. When looking at stories of Noah, ...more
J.B.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
dragonhelmuk

I found this book quite boring, even compared to von Daniken’s Chariots of the Gods. The introduction went on for a looong time, although I suppose that was a necessity. I knew hardly anything about the fertile crescent and its civilisations (sumer, arcadia, etc) before reading, and I consider myself quite well read in stuff like that. It’s quite indicative of the author that the introduction, despite its length was actually more fun than the literature-analysis proper. Basically I found most of
Steve Cran
Sumeria is the father off all our civilization. Mankinds alphabet, vocabulary, legends and science. The Sumerians also had vwery advanced knowledge of astronomy. They were a civilized high point amongst a time of very primitive people. Too advanced to be explained away by such a term as evolution or natural growth. Te author uses Sumerian legend and the bible to figure it all out, in those works lies the key. The twelve Gods are present in Sumerian,Mesopatamian, Greek and Roman Lore.

Who were the
JJ
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riveting…plausible….intensely captivating.

Sitchin’s 12th Planet, the first book in the revolutionary Earth Chronicle series presents irrefutable documentary evidence of the existence of the mysterious planet Nibiru, home of the Nefilim/Anunnaki. After a lifetime of the research, Zecharia Sitchen weaves the story of man’s origins by means of biblical narrative, archaeology, mythology and ancient Sumerian and Babylonian clay –tablet texts, a story as told by the Gods themselves. He displays how B
Marilyn Hudson
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the problems of most historic disciplines has been tunnel vision. A microscopic focus on one particular area, region, problem and no grand horizon or synthesis of other disciplines or knowledge. It is akin to focusing on one small tree, without taking into consideration the forest in which it sits, the region in which the forest hides, or the circumstances that first caused the seeds from a distant forest to be replicated in that region...

In some instances, the search for knowledge has al
John Herceg
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first book in Zecharia Sitchin's, the Earth Chronicles, remains as controversial today as in the year 1972 of its release. The author's fascinating claims of ancient astronaut visits to Earth, a twelfth planet in our solar system and the origin of the human species are incredible but supported by ancient texts discovered in Mesopotamia dating to circa 4000 BCE. Intertwining these ancient clay tablets, of which Sitchin could proudly claim the largest private collection thereof, with Biblical ...more
Annie
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading the book and I find it quite fascinating.
It would be a wonderful dream to go back to the past and really see the past. I have so many questions and wouldn't it be wonderful to travel to the past and go to the future to see if it really happen again?

It is definitely interesting...if adam and eve was created. How do the other ethnicity occur??
I truly believe the past is more advance in some area of the fields compare to this generation.

There are some parts in the books that f
Little Miss Esoteric
The world mythology aspects to this book were great, and in itself make this worth reading. I suppose the scenario is plausible, although I have misgivings about certain aspects, including the technology, and the possible cause of the Deluge. All in all this was a fun book to read, but if Sitchin was correct, it would only mean that the bible, and all the world mythologies and gods and goddesses, were not really divinely inspired after all, nor were these beings ever well intended in regards to ...more
Emerald
Intriguing sourced information on the Nephilim who according to ancient text from antiquity created civilizations and mankind, which modern science is also in agreement with. Their ancient cultures of Sumer and Mesopotamia begot the ancient civilizations that we know of today such as Egypt. How the ancient Sumerian text and those of the bible are in sync with each other on mankind's origins from the Sons of God the Annunaki which actually means the fallen ones. Very interesting read.
Dan
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge info dump of translations. Got interesting near the end so I will continue with series...just not now.
David Agranoff
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Why did I do this to myself.
Joel Gun
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
All I can say, for now, is that this book is mind-opening! Among thousands of things I've learned in this book, the fact that the Sumerians recorded our solar system so long ago I will never forget.
Greg Strandberg
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This book was well-researched and had lots of expertise behind it. The conclusions are pretty wild and far out there, but not really any more implausable than what the Bible tells us. An entertaining read, though dry at times as he builds his case with tons of examples.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization
  • The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs
  • The Emerald Tablets of Thoth-The-Atlantean
  • The Book of Enoch (Ethiopian)
  • Anunnakiler: Sümer’in Göksel Ataları
Sitchin was born in Baku, Azerbaijan, and was raised in Palestine. He acquired some knowledge of modern and ancient Hebrew, other Semitic and European languages, the Torah, and the history and archeology of the Near East.

Sitchin graduated from the London School of Economics, University of London, majoring in economic history.

A journalist and editor in Israel for many years, he now lives and writ

Earth Chronicles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Stairway to Heaven (The Earth Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wars of Gods and Men (Earth Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lost Realms (Earth Chronicles, #4)
  • Genesis Revisited (Earth Chronicles, #4.5)
  • When Time Began (Earth Chronicles, #5)
  • Divine Encounters (Earth Chronicles #5.5)
  • The Cosmic Code (Earth Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lost Book of Enki (Earth Chronicles #6.25)
  • The Earth Chronicles Expeditions  (Earth Chronicles Expeditions, #1)
  • The End of Days (The Earth Chronicles, #7)